Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a true fan for the Sims 4?

So very interesting read since my background is in business. I have been on forums since December 2014 and been apart of the modthesims2.com community since 2004. Question that has always gone around is what makes someone a fan or a true fan of the Sims 4?

Is it the number of followers they have?
The number of DLCs they have purchased?
The number of years they have played the Sims?
Being a gamechanger or playtester?
Being a content creator?
Being a modder?
Doing giveaways?
Sharing pictures?

I don't personally think there is one definition. Looking up the article I realize I think I have always been a fan but never a true fan of any of the Sims games even since SimCity days with Maxis. What about you? Where has your journey taken you with the Sims?

Please keep this civil and allow each person to speak for themselves. Purely out of business curiosity.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I would say it's somebody that appreciates the game for what it is. I mean if a person loves the game as it is and has always been satisfied with it then to me that is what makes a true fan.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I think a true fan (of anything, really) has less to do with numbers and more to do with a willingness to actually try and help the game succeed. That doesn't mean accepting what they might see as sub-par work from the developers or praising it for fear of upsetting anyone. Nor does it mean belittling or baiting the developers or other fans for making or expressing things with which they don't agree. It does mean a willingness not to always need the last word in a debate, and a sincere belief that conversing is more important than trying to prove one or another thing (or person) is right or wrong.

That said, while I believe in all those, I have no particular vested interest in this series, so I don't know if I could be called a "true fan" of the game. But I am a sincere one.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I would say it's somebody that appreciates the game for what it is. I mean if a person loves the game as it is and has always been satisfied with it then to me that is what makes a true fan.
    That makes sense. Thank you for responding. I always get nervous starting threads.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I think a true fan (of anything, really) has less to do with numbers and more to do with a willingness to actually try and help the game succeed. That doesn't mean accepting what they might see as sub-par work from the developers or praising it for fear of upsetting anyone. Nor does it mean belittling or baiting the developers or other fans for making or expressing things with which they don't agree. It does mean a willingness not to always need the last word in a debate, and a sincere belief that conversing is more important than trying to prove one or another thing (or person) is right or wrong.

That said, while I believe in all those, I have no particular vested interest in this series, so I don't know if I could be called a "true fan" of the game. But I am a sincere one.
    That is super sweet. <3 Nice having sincere Simmers around. :)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    To me a fan is someone who loves and enjoys the game. For some this is sharing to the gallery, for some it is creating CC, for others it might simply playing, with or without the intention to share their stories. There are many ways to be a fan and I don't think any way is more valid than others.

I do think it is more about what you do with the game and not so much about how others view you. Having many followers, being a gamechanger, doing giveaways, .... Those things can show being a fan but can never be a requirement to call yourself a fan.

• Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    I have 20 plus years with Sims. Spent thousands on new equipment to run the game. Not to mention spending at least 6 hours a day playing the game. I'm not a fan. I'm addicted.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I've played since Sims 1. I have all DLC, except for 2 kits and JtB. I support modders on Patreon and post pictures/stories. I also enjoy the game a lot, but I don't consider myself a fan - I'm a customer. When EA puts out something I think I'll like, I buy it. If I don't, I won't buy it.

For some reason, "fan" feels weird to me. I'm paying for a service - if I don't like it, I won't pay. I don't care that much about how much time, passion, effort, etc. was put in.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited March 2021
    you play the game
    you like the game

you want game to improve its less awesome parts so everyone would have more to enjoy about the game

and padumts yes you are a fan
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    Simmingal wrote: »
    you play the game
    you like the game

you want game to improve its less awesome parts so everyone would have more to enjoy about the game

and padumts yes you are a fan
    I love this part so much. I think that is why I chose playtesting. It is nice to help improve the less awesome parts even if it is just bugs for others.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    This. ^

Is it the number of followers they have? Nope.
    The number of DLCs they have purchased? Nope (not everyone has the money to do that and can still be a true fan)
    The number of years they have played the Sims? Lol nope.
    Being a gamechanger or playtester? Nope.
    Being a content creator? Nope.
    Being a modder? Nope.
    Doing giveaways? Nope nope.
    Sharing pictures? Can be a symptom but that can also mean social media and people reading your stories is your main interest, not that you enjoy the game.

(which makes me a very true specific Sims 3 fan btw, one who enjoys the game in spite of its flaws and with or without mods)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,967 Member
    I think it is someone who keeps coming back to a game. Which I have done since the sims 1.. I like that sims 4 is a stable game. I like playing rotationally in it, I like being able to play sims in other worlds who can still know your sim, I like multi tasking. I also like that you can get different pieces of clothes separately, hats, shoes, socks, jewelry, etc. I really liked the addition of clubs, I hope they start off sims 5 with clubs. I dislike that it doesn’t have a color wheel. I liked putting together my own clothes and furniture. Sims was just more versatile with a color wheel. I don’t use mods and custom content, so it feels like I’m being punished in a way, as I really enjoyed the color wheel, and putting together my own clothes and furniture. I miss real babies in the sims 4, just as I missed toddlers before they gave them back to us. I had a cheaper ( non gaming ) laptop when I started sims 4, and about the time city living came out I needed to get a new gaming laptop to keep playing. It took me two years to get it, but when I got it I caught up on all the packs. This is the first iteration I have owned all the packs, and have been playing my main game since 2014. I also dislike that we don’t have to buy the clothes in the sims 4, there are so many pieces of clothing, having to buy them would have been a great reason to make clothing stores, and I would rather be able to pick off any piece from a rack and buy it and then mix and match pieces we own. Sims can get free food from the fridge too, that makes the game less challenging, hope it’s not that way in the sims 5.

I’m Still playing sims 4 and looking forward to sims 5 , and more packs from sims 4. I may leave to play another game occasionally, but I always come back.....that is probably what makes me a fan of the game.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'd say .. someone who just plays the game and enjoys it truly for what it is?
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited March 2021
    The word “fan” or “true fan” should not be taken too lightly.

A fan is a fanatic. Within the context of Sims it’s a person who through their behavior expresses an extremely high level of enthusiasm for the franchise or a specific game within that franchise.

A significant part of a true Sim fan’s life is dictated by the game. The game takes priority over other things because it simply is what makes that person tick on both a conscious and subconscious level. A true fan will not only make time to play the game as often as they can, but they will most likely try to understand more about its concept, its history and its future.

That doesn’t necessarily mean they’re happy with just about anything that’s been handed to them, however their extreme passion for the game itself will always give them enough energy to praise it, to ask for more and to ask for better because they need it to survive. The “survival” of the game will make it possible that they themselves survive, emotionally. That’s how important the game is in their life.

It doesn’t matter how a fan or so called “true fan” expresses that enthusiasm. It can be something they keep to themselves, although many fans will very likely feel the need to lift their energy and that of others by sharing their own enthusiasm for the game with like minded people.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    You have to spin around a lot and keep people cool. That’s the only way to be a true fan.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited March 2021
    Blogger askagamedev once said that the general breakdown of games player bases are 80% of players will never engage with anything beyond the game itself. 20% will actually bother to go online and read something about the game, and a mere 5% will be engaged so much as to actually bother to post and communicate with other players.

I'm not sure how true those numbers are, but if you look at people watching sims trailers and commenting, it does feel correct.

I would say if you play the game and you enjoy it, you are a fan, if you are a true fan then I think you are either those 20% or those 5%. Although I don't really like the word "true fan" I would probably call them active fans, or active players. Those other 80% like the game, and play it but they don't care about what's happening outside of the game so they are not really active in the community.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2021
    Id generally say yes to all. I think all fans are true fans.

Is it the number of followers they have?
    ▪Assuming this is a Sims 4 fan page, not the amount of followers per se but the fact that they have one at all. If they have a really big amount then even more so (assuming they spend a lot of time trying to gain followers)

The number of DLCs they have purchased?
    ▪If they bought a big amount they mustve spent a lot of money on the game, even if it were on sale.

The number of years they have played the Sims?
    ▪If they continue to play TS4 as well, then theyre also a TS4 fan. If not, just a sim fan.

Being a gamechanger or playtester?
    ▪Yes. Even those critical of the game if they continue to play it.

Being a content creator?
    ▪Yes. Youre making content for it!

Being a modder?
    ▪Yes. Who would spend time creating for a game they arent a fan of?

Doing giveaways?
    ▪Yes. You must think something of the game to purchase it or give it away.

Sharing pictures?
    ▪Yes. Even when I post a picture of my coffee from Starbucks im a fan of that drink / Starbucks.

I mean imagine sharing in one or more of these and talking to a stranger (someone who doesnt play games). If you do any of these (especially not when being payed to) theyd consider you a fan too. It would come off as odd trying to deny that. You dont have to be a diehard fan, but still a fan.

I also think anyone who plays games regularly is a gamer. Whether its 1000 hours a week playing FPS only or logging into candy crush daily trying to perfect your score. There is no "true gamer". Arguements people make that im not a "true gamer" if I dont X or Y is annoying....we all play games buddy.

I think its gauged by the fact that you care. If you spend a lot of time or money, you care.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    A fan or true fan is someone who might engage beyond the game itself, in my opinion, just like fans of any media. There are people who play the game who never get on the forum, don't create things to share on the gallery, don't look up game lore, news and history, don't seek others who also like the game and don't buy merchandise.

I know a few others IRL who play The Sims, but I can't have a conversation with them about the game. They may love the game, but I wouldn't call them fans.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member

Ok, "Fan" which is short for fanatic, or fanaticism, can be gauged on a business or commune algorithm, I suppose.

However, someone who only has base-game, no online internet connection, no DLC's, but really enjoys playing the game, in my opinion, is a true fan. <3
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    In my opinion a true fan goes beyond just playing the game. Any combination of the following qualifies:

- Maintains a blog (any content, doesn't need to have downloads or stories, just pics with short captions will do)
    - Discusses the game on a level that goes beyond "I like this because of (feature)"
    - Writes fanfiction about the premades or highlighting game elements
    - Likes the game a little bit more out of defiance when someone criticizes it (been there)
    - Tries to find ways to incorporate the game into school/uni/work assignments
    - Links the game to other activities, for example after playing other games I often feel the urge to make ma favorite characters into sims and start saves based on the other games' settings
    - Does something related to the game even at days when they are not playing (blogging, drawing blueprints, participating in online communities)
    - Is part of or at least lurks in online communities and/or follows youtube channels or blogs of other simmers (not just gamechangers, but perfectly ordinary simmers)
    - Owns merchandis of the game

For me the line between "Sims 4" fan and "General Simsfan" blurs a little.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Someone who is into the game enough to take the time to seek out an online forum and read and/or post there.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    Well, the true fan to a particular CM was a person who was a game changer. They (she) stated one time something along those lines. It made a lot of people upset. The content creators, is how I think she put it. Which included game changers who do Let's Play, or created content for every one else, and by content she also meant videos of how they play and how they highlighted the features of the game. My idea of a true TS4 players are those who over look every thing and buy anyway. I would have to say I'm a true TS2 fan, because I love it more than any other, and even if it had a bug or two, it was overlooked most of the time by me, since I felt the total game out weighed any small bug. I appreciate things in the other games (all 3 others) but it is TS2 that I judge all others..that makes me a TS2 fan not a TS3 or TS4 fan at heart.

ETA: To me a fan of a particular game is the player that will seek out a way to keep that game forever on any new hardware and figure out how to install it and play it even if the new tech can't play it...that is a fanatic. lol I can say I am a TS2 fanatic.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited March 2021
    One who is a true fan is one who is just as critical of the game as they are as fond of the game. For a game to become the best as the fans want to see, the game must improve to show why it is the best and why it is supported so well, this means giving brutal feedback to the developers of said game as it is, rather than the way they want to hear it and nothing being done to fix it while mouthpieces like game changers who can't go out and state what they really need to in a negative context, because there is a serious risk losing what they have with EA.

There is an inherent risk shielding the game and the developers from the truth and finding something really rotten underneath for anyone else who is not a fan to see, that tends to show how poorly an apparent group of fans view their game and support of such game. A healthy game is one where everyone can contribute and loyal fans make sure it is kept in a really good place by keeping the developers honest and making sure the game is well kept, like a gardener to a plant that is producing beautiful rose or orchid or lily flowers.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I started as an addict when The Sims first came out and bought everything from that onwards but now look on Sims 4 as a hobby. I can't call myself a fanatical fan but just like to see and use new stuff coming out for it and won't be carrying on with Sims 5, if it comes out. I only bought one of the Kits and that was the Country Kitchen one.

I've also bought so much gear to keep up with this game but I'm over it now, just when I've got a high grade gaming computer with an NVidia 2080 Super video card.

I suppose you could call me a lapsed Fan or Addict!
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I like to think everyone here is a true fan of the Sims/SimCity franchise. I mean come on, I know most of you have been with franchise since before EA acquired Maxis.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Surely it’s anyone who enjoys playing the game in whatever capacity that is ie live mode, bb mode or cas mode and gets enjoyment out of it. I consider myself a sims fan of most of the iterations of the game including sims 4. The only version I never liked was sims 2.