Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UPDATE 9-2-20 Has your Sims 3 game been affected by the recent pixilation issues?

Comments

• KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    My game has not been affected
    emorrill wrote: »
    @KevinL5275 Thanks for sharing. :)
    Hee hee, I might've not seen the link to your sims pictures in your siggy... :p I did look through some of them and I'm really not seeing any horrible pixel blocks on any of your sims faces. :star: (Like I said, I think that's something you would've noticed by now. ;) ) I think I will give SweetFX a try just to see how it affects my game (and definitely make backups beforehand! 👍 )

I got a couple of pictures for you to show what I was talking about on my sim's vehicles and another graphics issue.

Most of my pics there are from when I first started with my previous AMD graphics card. The more recent ones on the last page would be the ones with my GeForce card. I upgraded last June but I dont remember exactly which pics are the cutoff.

Wow that car looks horrible, and the chair looks weird. :# I see the hair issues, I wonder if that's your graphics or the CC itself?

I have Mirrors & Water on 3 out of 4, and Tree Details on 3 out of 4. (I dont care about trees) I have High Detail Lots set at 2. Everything else is max.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    My game has been affected but it doesn't bother me
    @ZeeGee I just barely created an account with Nvidia, when I downloaded GeForce Experience. I will for sure get on there when I can and post the pictures. :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    My game has not been affected
    I've had GeForce on my computer since I got it, I never used its otimization settings, gonna try it now.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,275 Member
    My game has been affected and I'm upset
    I'm taking a break from my game because of this problem. I don't feel like playing at the moment, but I'm sure I'll start playing again soon. For me the game is half normal gameplay and half taking screenshots and editing them. I will have to spend more time on planning the screenshots and work in CASt a lot more to avoid the worst of the artefacts or I'd spend hours and hours on photoshop trying to edit them out.

@KevinL5275 *shudder* Awful colour banding on that car and attempt at dithering that just makes it look worse. :disappointed:
    I just barely created an account with Nvidia, when I downloaded GeForce Experience. I will for sure get on there when I can and post the pictures. :star:
    Great! I uninstalled GeForce Experience some time ago when I got tired of the notifications and I didn't have an account so I couldn't change the settings. I have an account now, so maybe I'll install it again someday when I update the driver. :tongue:

And a little reminder: If someone who reads this has a Twitter account, it would be nice if you could contact one or more of the SimGurus about this problem and point to this thread. :smile:

https://twitter.com/simgurugraham
    https://twitter.com/simgurusteph
    https://twitter.com/simgurulyndsay
    https://twitter.com/simgurunick
    https://twitter.com/simgurufrost
    https://twitter.com/simgururad
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    @emorrill Thanks sweetie. ❤️

@Cororon All I can say is I’m so sorry. {{{hugs}}} Many of us feel your pain. Emily and I jumped through hoops for months trying to figure out a fix and finally decided we just had no choice but to live with it.

I have a Twitter account but don’t use it. I don’t think any of the sim gurus would respond. They’re all about S4. If EA could or ever did roll out a fix they would probably tie it to the 1.69 Origin version.
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @Cororon All I can say is I’m so sorry. {{{hugs}}} Many of us feel your pain. Emily and I jumped through hoops for months trying to figure out a fix and finally decided we just had no choice but to live with it.

I have a Twitter account but don’t use it. I don’t think any of the sim gurus would respond. They’re all about S4. If EA could or ever did roll out a fix they would probably tie it to the 1.69 Origin version.

*hugs*

Maybe the gurus won't reply, but at least they would (probably) read it and maybe look into the problem and perhaps put pressure on Nvidia. Since it's probably the graphics drivers that caused the problem I doubt that EA could fix it with a patch. If it can be fixed with a patch maybe it could be a standalone one and not require 1.69. I can only guess, but I think it's important that the gurus learn about the problem and acknowledge that it exists.
    cUrfGkA.gif
    @Cororon True. I guess I don't understand the connection. EA is all over this forum, closing old threads, moderating, so I think it would be odd if they haven't seen this thread or encountered our issue. In my opinion, they aren't going to do anything to promote or fix Sims 3. It sure wouldn't hurt to reach out to a guru if someone can though.

I'm also doubtful that Nvidia will do anything. I stayed online with them for two days for a couple hours at a time tweaking settings and going through multiple menus I didn't understand. They walked me through a complete clean install, uninstalling everything nvidia and reinstalling old drivers. It didn't work. They said that if it were a Nvidia problem then a clean uninstall of an old driver would have solved the problem. So as has been mentioned, I think it's components not 'playing well' with others and we're basically plummed. :(
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Other. Please explain in comments.
    @ZeeGee

I agree with you it's doubtful EA will do anything about fixing a previous sims series even when they are still supposedly supporting it but I tell you this if they made the game completely stable and playable via Origin and on windows 10 like a sort of a revamped version solving all these issues I would personally buy the whole series again and while I know some players might feel i am mad I dont care thats how much I want a stable sims 3 game back with the gorgeous graphics I was used to :)
    edited March 2021
    @Cororon True. I guess I don't understand the connection. EA is all over this forum, closing old threads, moderating, so I think it would be odd if they haven't seen this thread or encountered our issue. In my opinion, they aren't going to do anything to promote or fix Sims 3. It sure wouldn't hurt to reach out to a guru if someone can though.

The forum moderators don't work on the games, but I'm sure some of the game developers visit the forums sometimes to check the threads, but they are of course more interested in the current games than an old one like Sims 3. But Sims 3 is still sold and is popular, and they recently upgraded the Mac version to 64-bit, so as you say, it wouldn't hurt to contact gurus about this problem.

If they are planning to make a 64-bit PC version of Sims 3, they sure would want to iron out the graphics problems (if they are sensible, that is). But maybe they won't make a 64-bit version, but instead work on an open world Sims 5 to replace Sims 3. (I don't see Sims 4 as the next step from Sims 3, but rather a step from Sims 2).
    I'm also doubtful that Nvidia will do anything. I stayed online with them for two days for a couple hours at a time tweaking settings and going through multiple menus I didn't understand. They walked me through a complete clean install, uninstalling everything nvidia and reinstalling old drivers. It didn't work. They said that if it were a Nvidia problem then a clean uninstall of an old driver would have solved the problem. So as has been mentioned, I think it's components not 'playing well' with others and we're basically plummed. :(

Yeah, but it was Nvidias customer support you talked to and not the driver developers. Their drivers' team do read the posts on the Nvidia forum, though. I said before that it could be some kind of conflict between the game, Nvidia and also maybe Windows. I guess we could try a several generations old graphics cards with their older drivers, make a clean install of an older Windows and re-install the game, but that would be downgrading our computers and a pain in the plum! So it's better to make these companies aware of the problem and see if they can do something. It's their job, not ours. :smile:

I'm optimistic, but not overly so. It's good to put pressure on these companies even if they don't want to spend resources to fix an older game, because they might try to do better in the future. Might. Might is right sometimes, and we simmers can be pretty powerful. :sunglasses:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited March 2021
    I came to Sims 3 from playing EA Hockey a long time back... which was my first introduction to Electronic Arts as a company. I spent many happy years playing NHL94 through NHL2005 before they axed NHL Hockey on PC and never brought it back for anything but console. I'm still pretty ticked off about that but nothing makes me even more ticked off than to end up with crummy graphics on a game that was designed to be aesthetically pleasing - the Sims 3. I've seen some of the landscape screencaps prior to this happening and if I didn't look twice, I would have sworn it was real-life. We've lost that with the color-banding and it doesn't seem like EA is going to do anything about it...even bother talking to Micro(squash)soft and nVidia about it (I include Microsoft in this...because it wasn't until that cursed update back in...I can no longer remember the date of when this happened originally.

What I really want to say... expletives included... would get me banned from this site.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    This is just a little experiment for me. I still don't think my game is as badly affected as some of yours or maybe I'm just used to it. There is still dithering on walls and solid colours so I hide this by using textures and take pictures with edited HQ graphic settings. The below pictures are just normal high graphics.

Outdoor dim lighting. I don't normally look closely at my sims when it is this dark. Bad shadows are to be expected because the lighting is harsh but I don't think she looks horrible?
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-15-47-55.png

Outdoor well lit. Slight dithering on the forehead if you look close but this has always been normal. The green sleeves don't look too bad.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-19-15-73.png

Indoor dim lighting.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-24-01-57.png

Normal lighting. I use textures on nearly everything. The less light to bounce off objects the better.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-26-45-19.png

@emorrill Disappearing hair and windows has always been a thing as long as I can remember. It looks bad on hairs that have wispy parts. I get away with it by clever angles and hiding part of the window. For example, the parts of Sun's hair that float away from her face would disappear and create a jagged effect on the main part of the hair. There is no fix for this that I have ever seen. Try using windows that have bars or casements.

I use Reshade 2 with Deband on. I only use it to help hide the lines in the sky and never noticed too much difference on sims. I turned it off and the biggest difference was the cars and solid colours like my sim's pillow. It works with full screen pictures. I can't really explain why. I use Reshade for most of my old games and I still don't understand how I'm getting it to work. The new versions of Reshade are a total mystery to me. I also can't get Freestyle to show up in pictures.

Without deband.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-32-19-58.png
    With deband.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-31-50-03.png

Without deband.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-34-07-71.png
    With deband.
    TS3-W-2021-03-28-11-34-20-51.png

Let me know if you want me to test anything.
    edited March 2021
    @Coco Hey girl! :smiley: Great to see you. :kissing_heart:
    Disappearing hair and windows has always been a thing as long as I can remember.
    ^Really? I swear I never noticed it happening in my game until the big 2019 Windows 10 update that started this whole fiasco. :confounded: I'll shoot pics at different angles as well to avoid it. :)
    Your first 4 pictures really look amazing. :star: And yeah I'll use textures to hide the dithering on the plain walls so that's nice that it's a good fix. It's just sometimes I like a flat, smooth texture on my walls and cars. ;)

I must admit I only see a hair bit of difference with or without the deband in the pictures you shared. :confused:

When you use the modified Graphics Rule (HQ Mod) when taking pictures do you find that it takes away the dithering on sims clothing and faces? If so I sure wish there was a way to play the game with the HQ graphics without it destroying the graphics card... :confused:
    ^Nevermind, I went in game and tried the HQ mod again and I could see all the issues still there. (My Sims skin looked pretty nice though. :p )

@Cororon You may have missed my post about it, but when I tried the features from GeForce Experience in my game (particularly the filters) they did nothing to mask the issues. :( They were really only game/photo enhancement features.
    But, if you find something within it that works, please let us know because I'm not super computer literate. :p
    I'll get on your thread over in the Nvidia forums and share my pictures soon. I've just been real busy...
    Yep. All we can do is hope that they will fix it, even for a small number of players. And yes, companies need to be bugged about something they did wrong! :star:
    Post edited by emorrill on
    Cororon wrote: »
    Yeah, but it was Nvidias customer support you talked to and not the driver developers. Their drivers' team do read the posts on the Nvidia forum, though. I said before that it could be some kind of conflict between the game, Nvidia and also maybe Windows. I guess we could try a several generations old graphics cards with their older drivers, make a clean install of an older Windows and re-install the game, but that would be downgrading our computers and a pain in the plum! So it's better to make these companies aware of the problem and see if they can do something. It's their job, not ours. :smile:

I'm optimistic, but not overly so. It's good to put pressure on these companies even if they don't want to spend resources to fix an older game, because they might try to do better in the future. Might. Might is right sometimes, and we simmers can be pretty powerful. :sunglasses:

Oh ok, you can tell how ignorant I am of behind the scenes gaming. :)

@coco Hi! Nice to see you. :) Your pictures look good. I don't see the intense pixilation on faces, especially not well lit faces, that some of us have.

@emorrill I've always had that too with the hair and windows. I've actually deleted windows from builds so it wouldn't look wonky (especially that Goth kitchen with Bella's hair!). And you mentioned before about the eyeglasses being reflective? I just got a comment on one of my old videos from 2018 and when I went there to like it, noticed that the floor was reflected in Cassandra Goth's eyeglasses. :neutral: So that must be an old issue.
    @ZeeGee, I wish that EA would actually listen to those who have been having problems with the graphics. But unfortunately it seems like the boardroom is all about Sims 4 Kits at this very moment.
    Sims3Kits.jpg
    We're low man on the totem pole...we may end up making a lot of noise, but I don't know if EA cares enough to help get this problem fixed.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer 🤣🤣 That’s so awesome.
    @Nikkei_Simmer 🤣🤣 That’s so awesome.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/boardroom-suggestion - You can make your own too with the know your meme generator, I just made my own captions using it.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Oh ok, you can tell how ignorant I am of behind the scenes gaming. :)

[metaphors] Oh, we are in the same boat. On a canal in Venice, trying to take the correct turns to find the best restaurant. But I guess most are closed now due to the pandemic. :tongue: [/metaphors]
    @Cororon You may have missed my post about it, but when I tried the features from GeForce Experience in my game (particularly the filters) they did nothing to mask the issues. :( They were really only game/photo enhancement features.
    But, if you find something within it that works, please let us know because I'm not super computer literate. :p
    I'll get on your thread over in the Nvidia forums and share my pictures soon. I've just been real busy...
    Yep. All we can do is hope that they will fix it, even for a small number of players. And yes, companies need to be bugged about something they did wrong! :star:

I did see your post. :smile: It's just that so many of us have tried so many different things that turned out not to help, but I hope we all take note of that so we don't spend hours on futile attempts that have already been done. And who knows, maybe a mix of tricks could help?

Of course I will let you all know if I come up with a solution. We are all here to gather information and my contribution so far has only been to put more pressure on EA and Nvidia. I think that's the best route. Trying to mask the artefacts and banding with third party mods is good and might make the game look better, but the real problem is somewhere within the game itself and the graphics drivers. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    I looked at my old screenshots and found this interesting. Look at the brunette girl's blue shorts on the first pic. It's from 2017. The pic is edited a bit, but I didn't touch the short's texture. Compare it to the second pic. The shorts in the 2017 pic look like they do today in CAS, but now in gameplay they look awful. So no one can say that the game has always looked like that. Sure, Sims 3 never had über-HQ graphics, but it used to look better than today.

bkdr25v.jpg

c4lKDfY.jpg
    cUrfGkA.gif
    edited March 2021
    @Cororon Oh definitely there was a change. I first noticed because I was doing a marathon filming weekend. I played all day Saturday, then booted up Sunday and had to reset all my options. When I went to the same scene I had been filming the night before there was horrible pixilation on Mortimer’s suit coat, which had not been there the night before. And horrific color banding on Cassandra’s face. She was in the park and it was dark. What I don’t understand at all (ETA: not that I understand any of it) is why this happened to a lot of us in Dec 2019 and is just now happening to you. 🤷‍♀️
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    this has bothered me since I got my desktop 2 years ago. I have a Nvdia 1050ti graphics card and with my AMD from ny last desktop I dont remember seeing this issue. When I first went into my game I thought it was my screen so I was adjusting the screen and coloring thinking it was going to fix the problem. It still irritates me to this day, but it doesn't stop me from playing the game.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    edited March 2021
    @Cororon Oh definitely there was a change. I first noticed because I was doing a marathon filming weekend. I played all day Saturday, then booted up Sunday and had to reset all my options. When I went to the same scene I had been filming the night before there was horrible pixilation on Mortimer’s suit coat, which had not been there the night before. And horrific color banding on Cassandra’s face. She was in the park and it was dark. What I don’t understand at all (ETA: not that I understand any of it) is why this happened to a lot of us in Dec 2019 and is just now happening to you. 🤷‍♀️

My PC was built in September 2019 with a Nvidia GTX 1060 and the graphics driver that was available back then. Then later, in December, I started to get random blue screens and tried to find out why by using a program that could read the minidump files Windows makes when bluescreens happen, but it gave no clear answer. It's usually some outdated driver that causes these bluescreens, so I updated all drivers except the Nvidia one (because I was scared of this problem, you know...). The blue sceens kept coming so in February this year I felt I had to update the Nvidia driver, and so I did and everything was fine for a while. Then less that three weeks later this problem started. :neutral: But I don't get blue screens anymore. :lol:

I think it must have been a Nvidia driver from late 2019 that caused this. For some reason the change for the worse didn't happen immediately after installing the new driver. I didn't get any Windows updates between updating the Nvidia driver and when the graphics problems started, and of course the game didn't get a new patch either.

It's a mystery why the change happened weeks after installing the new Nvidia driver. When you talked with Nvidia and you did that clean install of an older driver and it didn't fix the problem, maybe it also would have taken weeks until the problem corrected itself, if at all. This makes troubleshooting much more difficult. :neutral:

Edit: I posted about this mystery now on the Nvidia forum.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited March 2021
    I thought CAS graphics and lighting is rendered differently than in-game graphics and lighting. That's one of the first things I noticed is that CAS looks better, smoother, etc. I'm not sure why that is but I can take an educated guess thinking the developers not wanting the game to be graphically intense depicting all the Sims and objects, etc in a seamless open neighborhood. Despite the differences, in my opinion, it's not anything drastic in quality. Of course there are other factors to help make the visual aspect look better in-game by using the graphic card settings to enhance the appearance, etc.

The color banding has always been there since day one as well. It is usually most evident when there are dark colors, dim lighting conditions, night time, etc.

June 6, 2009 - My first screenshot I took in TS3. Everything barely meeting system requirements except the integrated video card which was not even compatible. Of course I'm sure this looked a lot better for some who had a compatible computer, but this is what my game looked like then. You can see the color banding and you can see despite the solid color, there are other mixed in colors as well. This appears to be typical in TS3 when using the solid colors and some patterns, if not all, more noticeably. And since I'm all up close and personal with my in-game camera these things are easy to notice sooner than later.
    Screenshot.jpg

July 14, 2009 - You can see the green and purple colors mixed in with black. Not as noticeable as below but the difference is this screenshot has lower resolution, low graphical settings and using the same computer as above.
    Screenshot-69.jpg

July 24, 2014 - This I think was on my gaming desktop I built with a higher resolution and higher graphical settings.
    Screenshot-353.jpg

January 22, 2021 - It can be seen more prominently on the outfit. The same as above.
    Screenshot-456.jpg

February 4, 2021 - More color banding.
    Screenshot-625.jpg

The claim stands out..."You can even play TS3 on your grandmother's computer." TS3 being a balance between better but not the best for the sake of allowing most, if not all, the fanbase to play without needing a gaming computer.

TS3 is not a graphic intensive game and instead is mostly CPU intensive. So visuals, it seems, were not on TS3 highest priority list but rather a game that plays quite lively with the right computer configuration. That's not to say that I think TS3 graphics is bad because I do think the game brings a lot of great visuals just not on par with the best apparently. I have Win 10 and it's completely updated and I also have a NVidia card. Neither of those affect my Sims appearance or makes color banding any different than I remember except rendering a bit better because of a more powerful GPU and a higher resolution.

Screenshot-1469.jpg

Screenshot-1517.jpg

Screenshot-1556.jpg

Of course those 3 screenshots above use custom skin and eyes. Below is what the Sims look like originally.

Screenshot-1924.jpg

Screenshot-1936.jpg

Screenshot-143.jpg

Quartzette.jpg

My conclusion is that these issues were always issues since day one. Perhaps more noticeable with higher resolutions. Naus already mentioned how textures are compressed in TS3 which goes back to TS3 advertising assertion. Now if TS3 didn't waste any potential then many would be up in arms because it would require a powerful gaming computer to look the best and play well.

The aesthetic in The Sims 3 is obviously no where near as realistic and refined as some video games that do put graphics as a high priority for a reason. Such as:

photomode-01022021-212045.png

photomode-12022021-202520.png

Ghost_of_Tsushima_20200810195131.jpg

DEATH_STRANDING_20191206175232.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    @Deshong04 Yes, the game has always had some colour banding and dithering. I have seen it since the game came out. It was worse with some colour shades so I did my best to minimize it by playing around in CASt until walls and furniture looked better. But since Nvidia drivers from late 2019 this has started getting worse and happening on textures that didn't have this problem before.
    cUrfGkA.gif
    edited March 2021
    Cororon wrote: »
    @Deshong04 Yes, the game has always had some colour banding and dithering. I have seen it since the game came out. It was worse with some colour shades so I did my best to minimize it by playing around in CASt until walls and furniture looked better. But since Nvidia drivers from late 2019 this has started getting worse and happening on textures that didn't have this problem before.

^That. 👍

And my CAS doesn't look as smooth with such clean lines around the sim and mirror anymore as yours does in that picture @Deshong04 since the dreaded driver updates of 2019. I miss it..... :cry:

So we just gotta keep on bugging Nvidia and hope and pray that they will resolve the issues with their graphics drivers.
    Posted and added links to pictures in your Nvidia thread (finally) @Cororon :grin:

Let's keep making our voices be heard! :star:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top