March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Dev Thread by Jake Simpson

JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
Dropping this amazing Twitter thread here, written by one of the developers of Sims 2, Jake Simpson. Everything you wanted to know about developing this Sims version (and an interesting read in general)

5JZ57S6.png

Comments

• Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    Three Sims in one woohoo sounds like something the old "anti video game" crowd of people would've hated knowing the drama back then due to one anti-censor cheat.

So they made one of the first neighbourhoods with Excel? Could explain the fact the 3 base neighbourhoods (especially Strangetown) come so corrupted. Still a shame we lost Waterside though.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I was told the Waterside hood was supposed to be called Riverview. MTS has the world on their site, but there are huge differences with the lay of the land from Pleasantview. (It used the PV map) but many differences they had a hard time recreating it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    Woah, thanks for posting this! I never knew that they were originally planning to ship 5 neighborhoods with the game, and then 1, until eventually they settled with the 3 we know and love today. I wish he would've talked a little bit more about that part. I would've loved to hear what ideas they had for the other neighborhoods (if any).

It was also interesting to hear that EA wanted the bladder function removed in the Sims 1 because it was too gross. So insanely obvious that they had no clue why people were drawn to the Sims. 😄 I'm glad they didn't change the pee puddles to yellow though. That sounds super gross!

I was mostly surprised that the Sims 2 developers had even bigger ideas that they finished, that worked, but couldn't be implemented into the game because there was no good way on communicating what was happening to players. That bit about the memories and Sims being able to talk to other Sims what they'd experienced and having them react to it like they were there themselves was super cool! I would've LOVED to see that implemented!

And that bit about Sims having a "main interaction" and "sub interactions" was really cool as well! Sounds suspiciously like the multi tasking in the Sims 4, just taken to the next step. I understand that it eventually got too complicated for them to use, but wow, imagine multitasking in the Sims 2!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Fascinating reading. Shows what you can do with a talented and dedicated team.