Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FYI News

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
Microsoft has plans to buy Discord. They have made an offer if I recall correctly. I wonder how this will affect the platform. You may not use Discord and I don't either, but I am always interested in what the big tech companies are buying up and how that affects things and people's privacy and data mining and all that. Some other company (I will have to search, because I don't remember) Is this thinking of buying Patreon, or maybe it was that platform that MS is intending to buy. Whichever, I need more coffee, I'm not happy when I see the big tech companies buy up everything people enjoy just for the fast buck and all that data mining. While I'm talking about data mining if you ever check any of your app permissions do you ever wonder just why an app needs to know your contacts (in your email files) and or why they need to use your camera? when really it has nothing to do with the use of the app? Learn to turn off permissions before you use them.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    It does stink, all this conglomeration into a few giant intrusive corporations, of privacy that people are so accustomed to giving away in the name of momentary convenience that they no longer feel creeped out about the longterm consequences or unseen workings. I keep permissions so tight on my phone, that most things I might do besides use it as a phone, aren't possible, but I don't mind the slight inconvenience of having to do those things on a laptop instead, because I can wait to do them, til I'm home. And I will simply cancel or do without a social media account before I'll give it my cell number.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited March 2021
    Admittedly I don't know if the outcome of Microsoft buying Discord will be worse for us all, or better. I know Discord's moderators... Usually got pretty iffy when it came to what they would ban, and hey, they still haven't dealt with a doxxer or a server raider that kept coming back with alts after alts even with a ton of evidence! So on one hand maybe Microsoft ownership will get a proper support team for us.

On the otherhand, if we start getting ads in the middle of the server chat and a Skype level lack of quality then I'd have to cancel my nitro and bail the first chance there's a prominent up-and-comer... Or go back to Teamspeak.

I hope it doesn't happen though overall.

I fear this world will be ran by like three companies one day, I never did like big corporations.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    This actually disturbs me😬
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    As someone whose group switched over to Discord because Skype was getting too glitchy...this displeases me
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Agar.io is our future. But maybe there are alternatives. Like Slither.io.
    Wish it were more funny.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg