Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Thoughts On The New Kits?

I've seen a lot of discussions around about the new kits, and a lot of differing opinions... I like getting to know everybody's viewpoint on things.

I've seen a lot of negativity about the kits. Yeah, they're micro-stuff packs, basically, but in my honest opinion, I don't think it's any different than paying 50-100 (or more) SimPoints for individual items for The Sims 3. While I'm being honest, I do actually kinda wish they'd bring back the SimPoint system. I've hoped that since The Sims 4 launched. I loved getting to pick and choose what items I got in my game from The Sims 3 store, and I REALLY loved when things I wanted went on sale for the Daily Deals!

There's sets and things available for SimPoints, too. I thought it was a really good system. It was like building your own, custom stuff pack. But with Kits and the groundwork they've laid out for The Sims 4, it seems too late to add in SimPoints again. Which makes sense, and I'm content with both The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Kits and I'm excited to see what more they add to the game, even though I will admit it sometimes feels like they're just adding minor things to get you to buy more packs...

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
    Personally I didn’t really like the simpoint system for the sims 3 store (and I thought a lot of the store was really overpriced).

I don’t mind kits too much, but I would like to see a ‘Build a stuff pack’ deal where for the price of a SP you could buy 1 CAS, 1 BB and 1 gameplay kit.
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Personally I didn’t really like the simpoint system for the sims 3 store (and I thought a lot of the store was really overpriced).

I don’t mind kits too much, but I would like to see a ‘Build a stuff pack’ deal where for the price of a SP you could buy 1 CAS, 1 BB and 1 gameplay kit.

I think that would be a really cool idea, actually. They should do that, almost like their current Build A Bundle deal. And I do agree some of the Simpoint things were a bit overpriced, but the concept was nice haha
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited March 2021
    I've expressed my thoughts on kits several times already. I didn't like the TS2 Store & I don't like kits. IMHO kits are overpriced for what they offer. Giving players the option to buy what they want sounds good in theory, but in reality, kits are just a way for EA to charge more money for less content.

I also don't think that we needed a 4th type of DLC. So far, kits have offered nothing truly unique that couldn't have been incorporated into 1 of the 3 larger DLC types that we already have.

Personally, I would prefer that the developers focus on making quality EPs, GPs, & SPs, & use any additional resources to fix the numerous bugs in the game, & continue to improve the base game, rather than create & release kits. IMHO if we had quality EPs, GPs, & SPs with depth of gameplay to begin with kits would not be needed to fill a "content drought."
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    SimPoints are like forum rewards for post counts: a dumb idea. They encourage people to play, even when they don’t feel like it, or when they should be doing something else I say no to them.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I like them, and can see the possibilities. Who knows, maybe the devs went to EA with our concerns and told them they needed to be addressed, and EA told them to find a way to make them money with it. Or not. Either way, kits seem WAY more flexible, so the possibilities for them are nearly endless. Now, if Maxis can hold up their end of that promise, who knows.
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    I've expressed my thoughts on kits several times already. I didn't like the TS2 Store & I don't like kits. IMHO kits are overpriced for what they offer. Giving players the option to buy what they want sounds good in theory, but in reality, kits are just a way for EA to charge more money for less content.

I also don't think that we needed a 4th type of DLC. So far, kits have offered nothing truly unique that couldn't have been incorporated into 1 of the 3 larger DLC types that we already have.

Personally, I would prefer that the developers focus on making quality EPs, GPS, & SPs, & use any additional resources to fix the numerous bugs in the game, & continue to improve the base game, rather than create & release kits. IMHO if we had quality EPs, GPs, & SPs with depth of gameplay to begin with kits would not be needed to fill a "content drought."

I agree Kits seem a tad overpriced, and I really agree that they should focus more on the larger game packs, expansions and stuff packs. There are still a ton of bugs in the game that need to be ironed out, and honestly some things feel rushed at times.
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    SimPoints are like forum rewards for post counts: a dumb idea. They encourage people to play, even when they don’t feel like it, or when they should be doing something else I say no to them.

I see where you're coming from. In my view, it's really no different than other popular games doing things like "Battle Pass" and "Season Pass" for purely cosmetic items that add nothing to gameplay. But there's a time and a place for it all, too :smile:

I like them, and can see the possibilities. Who knows, maybe the devs went to EA with our concerns and told them they needed to be addressed, and EA told them to find a way to make them money with it. Or not. Either way, kits seem WAY more flexible, so the possibilities for them are nearly endless. Now, if Maxis can hold up their end of that promise, who knows.

I also see a ton of possibilities with these kits, and honestly the idea the devs may have gone to EA with our concerns isn't that far-fetched. You do what you have to to give your player base what it wants, deserves and in some cases, even needs. And sadly with that comes compromises, like having to pay for what feels like less.

Thanks all three of you for sharing!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It’s fun getting new content, and they’re not very expensive, but the CAS and BB kits left me feeling a bit like I had spent my money on something frivolous. The vacuum kit looked really skimpy at first, but the gameplay made it a much better purchase for me. I may end up skipping future CAS and BB kits. I will probably buy all gameplay kits.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    I like the kits, but I also used to like TS3 store. What I was not a fan of was Simpoints. Because you'd end up wanting to buy something for, say, 1200 simpoints and would have to buy 2000 simpoints to cover it, so you'd be left with spare points to use up.

I am very glad we can buy the kits for real money instead of having to buy points to buy the kits.

As for kit content, I'm happy with what I've bought (apart from niggles like the permanent inspired moodlet) and I will very likely buy more, as long as they release stuff that appeals to me.p
  • Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    I got the kitchen one and I am frustrated because the corner upper shelf doesn't connect to the shelf next to it. It leave a weird gap. Hopefully the address that but I am not really that hopeful since they just did a patch and all my newborn babies still show the wrong color icon. Seems like that would have been a simple fix
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I personally like the idea behind them, giving us extra content that won't fit in future packs, I do understand alot of people frustration with them however, it appears they are like marmite 😂 as I've said before
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I bought the kitchen and dust kits. Personally, I like it.... especially if they can give us more gameplay items faster. I don't subscribe to the idea that "x" should have been included in "y" pack. They create only so many items per pack and it's priced accordingly. Anything more would be more money.

I need gameplay. That's where TS4 has lacked and where TS3 has kept my attention. I loved the TS3 store and bought nearly everything from there. TS3 would not have been as entertaining for me if the official packs were all there was. The store made my gameplay diverse.

Larger packs are great, but you end up with "bloatware" for lack of a better term... things that come with a pack you never use. With kits, you either you like the theme or gameplay or you skip it - and they don't come with much extra or pointless things. I like that flexibility. Kits can offer more "niche" stuff that can be viewed with a "take it or leave it" mentality. Which also leaves major packs to themes with more mass appeal or new gameplay mechanics.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    No real opinion on them because I refuse to touch them. Honestly, I think the Dust Bunnies from the Bust the Dust kit look cute, but I paid $20 for my Sim to have a lightsaber. I refuse to buy another pack just for one item...again.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    This inspired me to go cc shopping.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The Sims 3 store had an way to earn Sims points by watching ads and that is how I got some of my stuff off the store but it is an slow way to earn but in some cases if you are short a few Sim points and you do not want to buy an whole batch with real money I watched the ads. I think it is still active. The Sim store also offered more than one way of getting stuff at an discounted price and some of them were real good deals. They also gave away sets as well more than what Sims 4 is giving. I got Barnacle Bay set for free from them. They had hourly or daily specials as well. As far as the kits go I have no plan on buying none of them as I look at the price of an SP it is only $4.99 less than the SPs and you get more in SPs example The Vacuum Kit has only 5 or 6 items and even though one may be functional I would never pay $5.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • MisslizardMisslizard Posts: 162 Member
    Overpriced for what little is in them, but with more objects on even interactions in them I can see the possibilities. I have no interest in paying almost 8 AUD for what little is in them.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I love the idea. Just like I loved the Sims 3 store. I do wish like the store they'd have a consistent release schedule. I so looked forward to new releases in the S3 store.

SimGuruFrost has said kit development will not effect development of EPs, GPs, and SPs so a win for everyone. Those who are interested can look forward to extra content and those not interested don't have to worry about missing out on essential gameplay.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I got all three on Monday, this past, right before the patch struck. So far, I'm loving Bust the Dust. But I have learned something. It's not possible to vacuum a puddle, although that option is available. Thankfully, the patch toned down the accumulation of dust, phew! I thought my Sims were going to have to spend their entire lifespans just trying to keep up, let alone get ahead of the dust. And, no, so far nobody has made friends with the dust bunny. But Louise is erratic and makes friends with the coat tree. She just began to converse with the scare crow out in the green house. I wouldn't put it passed her to make friends with the dust bunny. ;) Erratic Sims are so much more fun than the insane trait we had for a time. Works better.

Love the kitchen:
    kE21b45.jpg

Haven't yet tried the clothing, but I'll get to that, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    If stuff packs become more like game packs and game pack expansions and then expansions a whole new level. I mean that the developers spend time making sure they are not buggy and have great game play as well as content. Then and only then will I be okay with a very over priced kit. I think in USD the price is not bad, but once exchange is added for other countries, it is very over priced for what you get. I have found custom content packs that are so much better.
    What I do like is that, I am never going to use a vacuum in my sims so I don't have to buy a whole stuff pack with vacuums.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    kits show once again that ea only cares about money, they're just milking ts4
  • KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    While I love the kitchen pack, it should have ya know... been in Cool Kitchen stuff? A pack LITERALLY dedicated to kitchen stuff supposedly but we got more CAS items for whatever reason than actual Build/Buy mode objects. The other two are so blatantly cash grabs EA is begging for shekels at this point.