Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Switching lifespans

Hey guys,

Does anyone switch between lifespans? I'm currently on long lifespan but when I have done everything i want my sims to do, I'm thinking of switching back to normal or even to short just to speed things along.....

Thoughts?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I did that all the time :) it depends on if i was enjoying the moment and wanted it to last longer of if i felt i was done with that specific lifestage.
    Nowadays i customize my sim's lifespan with mccc mod. But even though i still age them up earlier sometimes. My motto is have fun. So if i feel i should age up my sims before time or make some lifestage last longer i do it.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I do it often :) I wish we had an option for custom lifespans in game, but alas.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited March 2021
    I do it with all my households. I usually start aging off and change it between long and normal later. I want my Sims to have time to do their aspirations, find a spouse and max their careers without having to worry about them aging up too fast.
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    edited March 2021
    I do sometimes, playing around with a number of families, and when they've reached their set goals, I switch to normal and prepare the next generation to take over.

Some, I play with normal all the time. It varies. My favored ones just gets more time.

My vampire prison (where unlucky Sims end up by accident or vengeful neighbours) plays on short lifespan. Constant feeding by the vampires shortens the unlucky residents time, and frees up more space for more customers (the vampires has no jobs, but get paid a sum for anyone they 'take in').

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • MisslizardMisslizard Posts: 162 Member
    I do sometimes, playing around with a number of families, and when they've reached their set goals, I switch to normal and prepare the next generation to take over.

Some, I play with normal all the time. It varies. My favored ones just gets more time.

My vampire prison (where unlucky Sims end up by accident or vengeful neighbours) plays on short lifespan. Constant feeding by the vampires shortens the unlucky residents time, and frees up more space for more customers (the vampires has no jobs, but get paid a sum for anyone they 'take in').

This sounds like so much fun! Very creative! How much do they get for each.....'resident' that falls into their grasp?
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I do it with all my households. I usually start aging off and change it between long and normal later. I want my Sims to have time to do their aspirations, find a spouse and max their careers without having to worry about them aging up too fast.

Yeah right now I have Katrina and Dirk Dreamer on long and it's good because i don't have to rush anything....like eventually he will need a son to keep the Dreamer line going and if you have it on normal lifespan Katrina doesn't have that long before she turns into an elder and I feel she hasn't lived.
    musteni wrote: »
    I do it often :) I wish we had an option for custom lifespans in game, but alas.

i know you can have custom lifespan with mccc however I have done it and I think it just messed my game up. But at least this way I can be the control freak I am with my sims and control every aspect of who marries who and has babies with etc....
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I did that all the time :) it depends on if i was enjoying the moment and wanted it to last longer of if i felt i was done with that specific lifestage.
    Nowadays i customize my sim's lifespan with mccc mod. But even though i still age them up earlier sometimes. My motto is have fun. So if i feel i should age up my sims before time or make some lifestage last longer i do it.

Completely understand! If I have it on normal I feel it's too short but long can be too long....I'm trying to just enjoy the moment like you say and have them have what we have in our lives....careers....fun at the festivals....break ups when something isn't working out etc. If it is on normal lifespan I feel like you have to get married and get going so fast....
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    Misslizard wrote: »
    This sounds like so much fun! Very creative! How much do they get for each.....'resident' that falls into their grasp?
    Heh, first I only decided to make it simple, and every Sim that wants to 'relocate' a resident would have to gift 1000 simoleons to said vampire. Then I changed it depending on the situation. If nice, but tired Julie who has one main job and side job, and wants to be rid of criminal husband Ronald (he refuses to divorce!) who cheats on her and yells on her child, it would only cost her 2000, but if jealous good-for-nothing Owen wants to remove his competiton Alan, a progressive doctor/succesful writer/decorated astronaut, it could go up to 10000.

Decided to include a 'trial' period where all the vampires gets to 'sample' their new product. If any of them loves it, the price will be cut in half as a thanks for the nice meal.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I stick to Long and age up my Sims when I am ready to do so. You do need to be careful, however. Switching to another lifespan can end the life of an older Sim pretty quickly. Make certain you're ready, emotionally, for that. Or, better still, make a back-up copy of the save and then have at it. Your experiment might very well succeed, and if not, you've got that back-up. Just sayin'. Good luck!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I always play on the long lifespan no matter what. I’m in no rush to hurry my sims lives.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I always play on the long lifespan no matter what. I’m in no rush to hurry my sims lives.

I have found that taking my time has given me way more satisfaction in playing my game than ever before. I think after numerous (too many to even recall) restarts of the very same families, that I was missing something. Every time I got my Global Superstar to his domestic life, things just went south on me. The last time around I decided to just slow down. I'm having the time of my life, that is until we got hit with yet another patch. I'm still playing my game, but keeping to my Test Save until the all-clear is given on a very essential mod I use. Can't have my Rock Star without it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    edited March 2021
    No. Max lifespan all the time and still way too short. More specifically, certain activities and interactions take way too long compared to how quick a day is.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

I have found that taking my time has given me way more satisfaction in playing my game than ever before. I think after numerous (too many to even recall) restarts of the very same families, that I was missing something. Every time I got my Global Superstar to his domestic life, things just went south on me. The last time around I decided to just slow down. I'm having the time of my life, that is until we got hit with yet another patch. I'm still playing my game, but keeping to my Test Save until the all-clear is given on a very essential mod I use. Can't have my Rock Star without it.

I get attached to my sims so I like to keep them around as long as possible but without turning off aging altogether.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    I keep long lifespans for my Sims, because I want to get them good lives, and get as many children form them as possible as well, because I plan to play the sim to their death, and I want to do as much as I can with them.
    I only shorten the time if/when I want to age my toddlers to being children, so I can do more with them later on. Right now, I am trying to get my toddlers to a good stage, before I do that.
    So, long life spans for me.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    edited March 2021
    Normally I play on standard aging because I like the way the game is balanced. Longer lifespan would make many things too easy. It's ok with me that you can't kick <3 in your career and have a totally fulfilling parenting life on like the same day, unless you're magic. (And some characters can be magic if we want, since that's also in game.)

That said, I'm starting to get into rotational play more, and so I'm tinkering more with the aging settings so that we are able to enjoy each household and so that the NPCs age at roughly the same rate as the played sims.
    gen3-banner.png
    Heh, first I only decided to make it simple, and every Sim that wants to 'relocate' a resident would have to gift 1000 simoleons to said vampire. Then I changed it depending on the situation. If nice, but tired Julie who has one main job and side job, and wants to be rid of criminal husband Ronald (he refuses to divorce!) who cheats on her and yells on her child, it would only cost her 2000, but if jealous good-for-nothing Owen wants to remove his competiton Alan, a progressive doctor/succesful writer/decorated astronaut, it could go up to 10000.

Decided to include a 'trial' period where all the vampires gets to 'sample' their new product. If any of them loves it, the price will be cut in half as a thanks for the nice meal.

This is absolutely awesome! I love the creativity and originality of it!
    I stick to Long and age up my Sims when I am ready to do so. You do need to be careful, however. Switching to another lifespan can end the life of an older Sim pretty quickly. Make certain you're ready, emotionally, for that. Or, better still, make a back-up copy of the save and then have at it. Your experiment might very well succeed, and if not, you've got that back-up. Just sayin'. Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate this!
    So now my question is when you have completed their aspiration and got to the top of their career- What do you do? Start another career? Another aspiration? Doesn't it get repetitive?
    What do you guys do with the extra time? And when the next generation comes across, How does it not feel round and round?
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have never changed it from the “no death” setting. I have a huge rotation though.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I mostly stick with Epic or I turn it off.
    edited March 2021
    So now my question is when you have completed their aspiration and got to the top of their career- What do you do? Start another career? Another aspiration? Doesn't it get repetitive?
    What do you guys do with the extra time? And when the next generation comes across, How does it not feel round and round?

I just find another aspiration. For instance in my main game save, which is temporarily on hiatus until the mod I need is cleared to go, the Dad is a Global Superstar Rock Star. He started out with the Musical Genius aspiration, completed it rather quickly on his way to the top and I changed it to one of the Family selections. He's now the father of six, still married to their mother, and dealing with four teens and now, two Child Sims. He's got a goal of releasing 40 albums before he turns 40, which isn't that far off, given the age of his kids. LOL But, he just released #39, so he's almost there. :) Just waiting on that mod … All but one other mod I use are good to go. All four grandparents have recently deceased, so he's also helping his kids deal with the losses. He took them all to Mt. Komorebi, but unfortunately, most of his family fell ill. Started with little Paul, who didn't social distance and now all of them are showing signs of Stumpy Flu. Oi. Suffice it to say, the vacation was quickly ended. Also, due to another mod I use my Superstar is struggling with blood pressure issues. So, in playing my game more slowly (used to race through just to achieve the next goal) I'm now taking it slower and really enjoying this family and all that they are going through. That's what I use the time for. Eventually, I hope to see my Rock Star still performing as an Elder. Why not? Then I'll likely decide which one of his darling brats I'll follow. ;)

ETA: If you allow for some mishaps along the way, the game isn't all that repetitive. Each generation can have it's own story. Sometimes, you may have to direct an 'event', other times I find that between the mods and the game itself, I get a bonus happening that creates a twist to what's going one and in the end it helps keep things from falling into the dull-drums.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

You can do a lot more with your sims besides completing a career and aspiration... you can set your own life goals and stories into your sims... i never was able to finish more than one aspiration and only some of them finish one... because they spend time working on their relationships and any drama that might unfold by watching sentiments closely...

I just find another aspiration. For instance in my main game save, which is temporarily on hiatus until the mod I need is cleared to go, the Dad is a Global Superstar Rock Star. He started out with the Musical Genius aspiration, completed it rather quickly on his way to the top and I changed it to one of the Family selections. He's now the father of six, still married to their mother, and dealing with four teens and now, two Child Sims. He's got a goal of releasing 40 albums before he turns 40, which isn't that far off, given the age of his kids. LOL But, he just released #39, so he's almost there. :) Just waiting on that mod … All but one other mod I use are good to go. All four grandparents have recently deceased, so he's also helping his kids deal with the losses. He took them all to Mt. Komorebi, but unfortunately, most of his family fell ill. Started with little Paul, who didn't social distance and now all of them are showing signs of Stumpy Flu. Oi. Suffice it to say, the vacation was quickly ended. Also, due to another mod I use my Superstar is struggling with blood pressure issues. So, in playing my game more slowly (used to race through just to achieve the next goal) I'm now taking it slower and really enjoying this family and all that they are going through. That's what I use the time for. Eventually, I hope to see my Rock Star still performing as an Elder. Why not? Then I'll likely decide which one of his darling brats I'll follow. ;)

ETA: If you allow for some mishaps along the way, the game isn't all that repetitive. Each generation can have it's own story. Sometimes, you may have to direct an 'event', other times I find that between the mods and the game itself, I get a bonus happening that creates a twist to what's going one and in the end it helps keep things from falling into the dull-drums.

I don't know if your allowed on here but can tell me what mods you have?
    texxx78 wrote: »

You can do a lot more with your sims besides completing a career and aspiration... you can set your own life goals and stories into your sims... i never was able to finish more than one aspiration and only some of them finish one... because they spend time working on their relationships and any drama that might unfold by watching sentiments closely...

Thank you, I see the ingenious of this....It is rather incredible.