Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA offering 'New Challenges' yet babies are still objects: How does that work?

We've gone through this before, the wants, don't want and indifference, babies are pretty much a split down the middle argument/subject, and with the introduction of KITS and these new elements that EA apparently wish to give our games, I simply want to discuss why babies are still being ignored, because, at this moment in time in the sim's development, babies are now just being blatantly ignored in favour of a plumming vacuum! Or funky gym outfits or a nice kitchen set.

Don't get me wrong, when Sims 3 and the store was a thing, I had it ALL from worlds, objects, outfits, HAIR (So much hair), I was no stranger to extra content and frankly even the lamest of things my game had to offer more. I am not slamming Kits or packs, expansions, not remotely.

What or whom I am slamming is EA, whoever is in charge of deciding what is important to our gameplay because with Kits arrival, and the talk around them, everything leads back to the same old "PLAY WITH LIFE" banner, play the sims to play with life, yet, we cannot fully play with life, we need mods to offer a sliver of life when older generations of the sims gave us the freedom to do as we wanted, where we wanted and offered so much in terms of content regarding the age groups.

Teaching teens to drive.
Kids running their own lemonade stands to earn some money.
Toddlers causing trouble and fighting over toys or bottles or just keeping parents up at night with their crying.
Babies needing constant care in the forms of shift feeding, nappy changes, comfort, rocking to sleep, quiet as to not disturb them.

those are just SOME of what we used to be able to do while now the best we get is Toddlers and kids throwing paint everywhere while Sammy wears a bear suit and listens to punk rock in his bedroom. Frankly even that I just bear through because my sim has no time for her child's angst.
---

If you go back, I've had this argument a lot, in different ways and tones, some posts angry, some righteous, some tired, some clearly at the end of my rope because it has been an emotional rollercoaster with this game and it still is today.

Last year I gave up on sims, with the Batuu pack I had had enough but after a break, lots of deep breathing, and listening to other simmers discussions on youtube, I'm back to fight the good fight, whether it's for free babies or burglars or jobs for pets because even just watching my pom scuttle off to her job as a movie star is a positive but my main goal today is to just try and raise the voice for free babies, and by free I mean from their cots, because pretty sure babies are free unless you have mods where one parent has to pay child support (Can we get that in an update, I have some baby daddies who owe my sim a lot of money).
Even better cots! No more bassinettes! I want actual cribs with the slide bar you can put down or have toddlers climb over to escape!

What would free babies bring to our games? New Challenges as EA claim to want us to have via their content, a single parent having to vacuum, do the washing, take a shower before work while juggling a grumpy newborn who needs hourly feeds/burps/attention, certain traits making them harder to handle and causing things to build, times that via twins/older kids with updated emotions to be problematic and jealous, maybe a moody teen demanding to go out with their friends rather than babysit or a bratty child losing their temper over losing a game, now that is a challenge!

Hungry/messy pets, deadbeat parent/parents, annoying neighbors, and loud family causing bigger issues. Those are challenges and add to the issues with raising a baby alone or with a partner, especially if the baby has a clingy trait.

If you can imagine it, it's easy to see why the sims 4 is lacking and why this whole talk of "New challenges" is a fight waiting to happen, I mean it's already happening but with such intensity that it rocks the future of sims entirely.

From word of mouth/youtube/general media, things are coming, good, bad, neither, we are getting things but what we NEED, one of those things at least, is free babies, better quality of life, and story progression (With toggles, obviously), if you are someone who doesn't enjoy that then turn it off, everything should be an option but for those who want it, we need to make a fuss, call them on their bluffs and make points because if it's true EA are listening then they need to stop using IG as a reference, we don't just want pretty furniture and outfits, we want EVERYTHING, we want function and to see life, I don't expect a miracle but I do expect something as what says on the box, "Play with life, Play with sims" Would if I could! but sims is missing a few things.

Sorry if this post is hard to understand, there is just a lot going on in my brain regarding the discussion about this, and its hard to pick one line from it.

The point is: Free babies, give us better quality of life and stop offering pointless content which needs new animations anyway so you might as well just make animations for babies! Animations, traits, cribs, bottles, changing tables, it wouldn't take long or be much but it would be appreciated. And toggles, because again, options.

I'm gonna head off to bed and stop ranting, hope everyone has a nice night and keeps simmer.

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    edited March 2021
    The point is: Free babies, give us better quality of life and stop offering pointless content.

The point is freeing the babies doesn't bring in any money. 💰 Unfortunate.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i think we should free the babies. i like sims 2 where you can pick up the baby, cuddle it, and smile at it. As far as content goes, EA can make content as far as new clothes for the babies to wear. i remember in sims 2 recoloring the diaper to yellow (plus had a picture of big bird too!) , maybe EA can release a kit with some recolors so that you can get new clothes for babies?
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    @Sunflowergal227 if you're not adverse to using CC one of talented forum members has made some baby clothes recolors.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/960146/baby-outfits/p14
    @Sunflowergal227 if you're not adverse to using CC one of talented forum members has made some baby clothes recolors.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/960146/baby-outfits/p14

Thanks for that info! i have yet to look at that section of the forum.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think the answer is that they are offering new challenges "within limits" and they themselves set those limits.

Their focus is mostly on making packs so if they can't find a good way to free the babies within their budget while they are making packs, then they are probably not going to do it...

Maybe they have some plans in the future to free the babies and sell us strollers as packs or something if they can find a good way to do it but I don't think it will be happening.
    Anyways back to the topic, i totally feel you with the free babies. i play the sims 2, and the crib is actually like easier. Plus changing tables in the sims 2 actually help both the toddler and the baby. to the least, a toddler don't need a bath, and you can change its diaper via a changing table instead of always having a bath to clean them up. and i hear you with the toddler and kids throwing paint everywhere. what a mess!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    The point is: Free babies, give us better quality of life and stop offering pointless content.

It COULD if you freed them and created purely infant-themed kits. Like we've had kids packs, we've had pet packs, so if you freed babies EA could then offer content that would bring them a profit. Like the sims 3 online store where you could buy pens and such for babies/toddlers.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    How do you know they're not in the middle of working on "freeing the babies" while they're putting out packs/kits/bug fixes throughout the year?

For all we know they might be working on a solution as we speak, that will come in a future patch fix down the road some time before the Sims 4 game comes to an end. No need for this either/or mentality you guys have going on.... I'm pretty sure EA/Maxis is quite capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I do want to point out that at least in the Sims 2 - babies were still objects, just objects that could be moved around lol. They weren't full sims until they were toddlers. According to the coding that is. So maybe it's an engine issue. I for one prefer the baby in the bassinet - I don't have to look all around the house for where on the floor someone dropped the baby anymore! lol
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Well at least the game have babies! I want to know where are the usable vehicles?? Heck even the original Sims had transportation in the game.🙄
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I do want to point out that at least in the Sims 2 - babies were still objects, just objects that could be moved around lol. They weren't full sims until they were toddlers. According to the coding that is. So maybe it's an engine issue. I for one prefer the baby in the bassinet - I don't have to look all around the house for where on the floor someone dropped the baby anymore! lol

I agree with this. I also think there was another reason babies were objects in TS2 - babies don't really do much outside of soil their diapers and scream when they're uncomfortable. Sure, they may giggle or smile, but ultimately, a baby is just a larva (even IRL) until it can develop a means of communication and mobility. As such, babies can't interact with anything on their own, they generally can't even crawl, so it's ultimately up to someone else to position the infant and put it where it can interact with things. So, object. The baby is no different than a toy bear. You can play with it, set it down somewhere, take it with you somewhere, even wash it in the sink if you want. Then occasionally lay it on a changing table to make it not stink anymore. There's not really any kind of sentience or playability as a baby, they're more like accessories in the Sims, and while they could elaborate on them and make them a lot more of a versatile object, I'm not sure how high on the list they considering how short lived their life stage is.
  • MoofytheManMoofytheMan Posts: 16 Member
    honestly? i hate dealing with babies in 4. usually i age them up right away because they're just so annoying. so i'm not sure if freeing them from their cribs would make that better or worse, but i'm inclined to think it would improve the overall experience. so yeah free babies 2021
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I don't really mind babies to be objects. I usually can't wait for them to grow up, toddlers are so much fun.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member

Maybe they could do a 'Rug Rat Stuff' pack that: frees babies from those baskets, provides various styles and types of cribs and diaper changing stations, bottles as actual items, additional interactions, a new skill (TS2 called it parenting, where sims learn how to 'check baby' and find out what it needs instead of guessing), and whatever else would be useful/helpful.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't really mind babies to be objects. I usually can't wait for them to grow up, toddlers are so much fun.

Surely you jest. That's the most annoying/bothersome life stage in the whole game.
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    After today's update it's even more obvious they have a 'Goal' of improving 'CERTAIN' big elements of the game, this month's being traits which was a nice surprise, but with all the arguments of "They just don't have time/the budget" Clearly EA do! They're just picking and choosing the most popular topic whether its going to add to the base game or not.

Maybe its me but they could've put time into re-adding much-loved things (Like bunk beds could've come earlier, old aspiration items/traits/things) instead of bringing in kits, a package deal of what was the Sims 3 store brought to the sims 4 but with no real choice nowadays.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021

I understand this, but with all do respect, does big projects like rainbow colors for everything and or many things no one would think about to have rainbow colors, and or more skin tones, lead to more money? Why is it, Maxis and EA cater to the loudest voices in the room (which have organizations behind them to help raise those voices) and ignore an average player who is just asking for better gameplay. :neutral:

I would like to see more inclusion for an average player who just wants better gameplay. AKA I didn't understand the recoloring of the rocket pictures when they said to be inclusive and showed the recolors of the rocket pictures...money and time while other game play issues or requests go on forever.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.