Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trait improvements: what do you think it's gonna be?

Suddenly the main focus of my enthusiasm for tomorrow has shift to "trait improvements". What do you think can be made to improve traits? I hope for autonomy changes. I think the biggest problem with traits is that sims don't do autonomy actions connected to specific traits...

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I just can't bring myself to think they will do much to it. Bookworms actually preferring to read books autonomously? Mean sims spontaneously being mean? Etc etc. It would make me so SO happy, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    If they were making big changes to traits there would be a blog about it. I assume they will reinforce what traits are suppose to do. For example, athletic Sims “feel energized more”, so they’ll probably make the moodlet stronger so the emotion is less likely to be cancelled out by a conflicting emotion.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member
    edited March 2021
    In not even allowing myself to think about it for fear of disappointment. And if it turns out to be more than I expected then I'll get excited then. 🙂
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Im not sure. I hope its nothing shallow though. Happy for more personality improvements!!!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I do not want to get too hopeful with speculation, but trait improvements is a big deal to me. Plus, if they are more mechanically distinct, then there can theoretically be more to capture those distinctions.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited March 2021
    Even if it’s just stronger emotions with traits that is something and it’s something needed. I’d love more than that but I’ll take what I can get with traits here. It be fantastic if they started doing more things autonomously. I don’t think them not making a big deal about it means much. I swear I’ve already noticed, from a few updates ago, sims doing more things autonomously. I had mean sim constantly doing mean interactions to the point it actually caused a hurt sentiment with her sister. I never told her to do any of it. Neat sim also constantly cleaning on their own. Just little things I’ve had happen like this.

It could still be a good update to traits though. Overhaul? No they’d say that instead of improvements. But it’s a start and like I said I’ll take what I can get here. We won’t really know till tomorrow but I’m still very excited to see.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I think it's going to be autonomy improvements so sims act more like their traits.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »
    I think it's going to be autonomy improvements so sims act more like their traits.

That'ld be my dream :)
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    In not even allowing myself to think about it for fear of disappointment. And if it turns out to be more than I expected then I'll get excited then. 🙂

Same. I’m excited at the thought of traits getting updated, but I’m not going to get my hopes up about anything specific when we have so little info on what ‘Trait Improvements’ means.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm excited to find out what kind of improvements. Hopefully it will mean one or two less mods in my game.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I'm game for improvements. I'm also game for more traits. Both would be very welcome...however, I'm keeping my expectations low. Much as I love this game, it's not like any other game in the franchise, and I've learned to respect that. Don't like it, but respect it.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    It will be what it will be. However, I don't mind being pleasantly surprised. :)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    I'm a bit anxious about the update to be honest. If the patch does what it promises, I am all for it. But what if it is not done properly? What if it needs more fine tuning in a next patch or causes other issues? I hope I will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow.
  • TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Autonomy and maybe buff strenght modification. Maybe something similar to roburky's meaningful stories.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    No matter what, they'll still be dampened by the overbearing emotion system. I think they could tweak the traits enough to give sims more of an identity. Here, I wrote a long tl;dr of what I want.
    • Active: Get energized more frequently, autonomously engage in activities, grow bored when studying/reading unless they're also Bookworks or Geeks, or are Focused.
    • Cheerful: More likely to talk to others, bad moonlets last for half the time they usually do. However, too many negative emotions will bring them down and make them last longer. Even cheerful people have bad days.
    • Hot-Headed: More autonomous angry actions, the Feeling Angry moodlet becomes much stronger and lasts longer, and there are more triggers for it.
    • Music Lover: The Frayed Nerves moodlet makes them lash out at sims who play their instruments poorly. They'll autonomously turn on the station and listen to their favorite music stations. They can autonomously sing or hum to music that's playing.
    • Childish: Being lectured or yelled at makes them angry and actively avoid socializing with that person. They get a skill boost for Mischief and like pranks, but hate being pranked themselves. Work, homework and school projects bore them more often, and they hate doing chores. Teens and adults can socialize better with kids, and kids won't have a negative reaction when being lectured by them. (They know howto talk to kids.) Autonomously plays with toys.
    • All the traits from Sims 3 get their Sims 3 effects. And also we get five trait slots instead of 3.
    • There's now a Dragon-Lover trait
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't really want to get my hopes up and be disappointed. When they make a big deal out of these things, I usually end up being underwhelmed :/
    Maybe, just maybe I'll be happily surprised.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    I'm not sure, but I hope it's not like their environment overhaul where the sims kept saying "yawn" or "a-ha" all the time. So I hope it will not turn out into active sims doing push-ups every 5 minutes and angry sims swearing constantly for no reason.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited March 2021
    I can't even be hopeful they'll do changes with any depth. I'm imagining it, and it's really hard. I hope they've looked at mods that are available that are popular so they understand what the community want. It's like a cheat sheet, so I hope they're paying attention.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I can't even be hopeful they'll do changes with any depth. I'm imagining it, and it's really hard.

Same. Unfortunately, we've been let down time and time again. Like many others have said here -- I would absolutely LOVE if the improvement actually put more weight on traits (like mean sims being actually, consistently mean autonomously) but I fear to get my hopes up on that. Fingers crossed.
    F8wHsKZ.png
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    s33man wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    I can't even be hopeful they'll do changes with any depth. I'm imagining it, and it's really hard.

Same. Unfortunately, we've been let down time and time again. Like many others have said here -- I would absolutely LOVE if the improvement actually put more weight on traits (like mean sims being actually, consistently mean autonomously) but I fear to get my hopes up on that. Fingers crossed.
    Yep. Agreed.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Don't know, I just hope it doesn't override my ultimate control over my sims and my game.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Well, it's still going to be within the same base mechanics of the game, so I don't expect the changes to be groundbreaking or for Sims to suddenly behave as they did in other iterations. I imagine it will still tie in heavily with the emotion system. I guess what I would hope from it is for Sims to gravitate toward appropriate activities and behaviors, with the resulting emotional buffs/debuffs making sense. Something I'd really like to see is for the new Scared emotion to be incorporated more, maybe with Squeamish and Paranoid Sims. Ideally, I'd also like to see Vampire Traits have more of an effect as well, but I'm not expecting that to be an extension of this adjustment.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to finding out what has changed.
    #Team Occult
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    My expectations are low. If it was a big traits update it would've been promoted and mentioned more rather than just being listed as a "this is coming as well"
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    ohh traits improvements? so our sims will finally act according to them? will we get more to make more unique sims? perhaps traits will get a point system? will they be more prominent than emotions? am i getting high expectations again lol
    but i'm glad sims personality is finally being tweaked and improved
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

I agree. Even though trait improvement sound great to me, I really doubt they can actually make any impactful changes without ruining the fountation of the game so I think the trait improvements will be maybe a new addition to them or an extra system on them than an actual change to their core.
    I would love them to prove me wrong but I'm not getting excited and waiting for it to come.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?