Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

They should do a stuff pack for men.

Comments

• rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    Oh I have nothing against feminine men, can't say I'm the manliest man either but the problem is the game does not make it possible for men to be anything else.

All the hairstyles are too styled, the clothing is mainly weird high fashion stuff that no actual men wear. It's like men can only be Ken dolls, and even then only Hipster Ken.

The whole focus of emotions in this game does not help either, constantly switching emotions. Not saying that's only a woman's thing, but well, on average men tend to hide their emotions more or not express them as much. So this too is more a focus on women.

It's like men where just tossed into the game as an after thought, just so the female characters have someone to romance. Like a ken doll.
    But it's in everyone's best interest to portray a wide arrange of people in the sims, let people make all the kinds of people that exist in the world.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    There's plenty of stuff for men and face it, men do tend to be less interested in fashion... but I wouldn't really say that the stuff for men is MANLY men stuff.

Great if you're playing a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ though.

You don't have to be male to see there is more clothes and hairstyles in The Sims series for females than there was for males. And what does a lack of interest in fashion have to do with the Sims themselves? No female in the series has ever expressed any interest in 'fashion', either, in the games, so the benefit is for the player for what to put on them and or how to style them, since the actual Sims don't actually even know...

But wait, TS2 Sims do care about 'fashion' and it is a topic of interest for some, male or female.

I remember fussing about TS3's three pair of shorts in CAS. :s Maxis never did expand the type of shorts males could wear in that game. I'm not talking length exactly, but styles and patterns and cut of cloth. I remember fussing in TS2 about the wide, droopy bottom pants for males, that's all they ever got, other than a few dress pants for work type outfits.

Females got all sorts of jeans and boot cut or straight or peg leg etc. Males only had the bulky wide bottom, droopy, too much material at feet.

Lol, don't get me started on the lack of jackets, peacoats, trench and other styles of coats for males in the series, and or the lack of sleepwear styles. Or the lack of shirts, of all types.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, I like those jackets. I would also like some coat styles of times gone by, because if a female Sim can have the 'little black dress' in every issue of The Sims, (a 50's dress style in every one of them or at least the concept was born in the 1950's) then males should have some throwback coats like trench and others. ETA: But see, I've lived a long time those jackets are very much a style that bands wore in the '60's so nothing new under the sun, but Maxis could step up and add a lot more for males.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i agree partaly but i totaly disagree about the body hair part in the game i clearly do not went to see bodyhair in the sims4 the only way i would not mind such a feature is if thy also add a toggle to turn it off in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    i agree partaly but i totaly disagree about the body hair part in the game i clearly do not went to see bodyhair in the sims4 the only way i would not mind such a feature is if thy also add a toggle to turn it off in game

Body hair would be a CAS detail like head hair, freckles, or tattoos, you could add it or not, like the beards. There would be no need for a toggle button.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 446 Member
    Indeed, and men tend to have body hair to some extent. Like women have boobs, and there's even a size slider for that.
    They barely ever gave additional facial hair options since the base game. With extreme luck, a pack might add one whole new option there. I believe across every pack released so far, they added like three new facial options or such in total.

Star Wars pack was a huge missed opportunity to draw in more men too, considering the actual clothing from star wars would have been better than the weird stuff they added. The costume designers of Star Wars have better fashion sense than whoever made the clothes for that pack.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited March 2021
    Forgeron wrote: »
    I agree with you. I think they use the ability that we have to turn on the unisex filter as an excuse to add only feminine stuff. I once heard that they add more female things because they want to create a safe and fun environment for little firls to play. What about little boys? What about little "girls" starting to identify as male boys? I myself can't find the right beard for me, or the right masculine curly hair for me. (they either go with afro curls or with straight hair, never in-between... maybe only for some curvy hair that doesn't even look like curls).
    I can't even find the style of clothes I like to wear.
    If they want an excuse, look at how many little girls and preteens are playing SIms now and playing their oppas/male kpop singers. Use that as an excuse to balance the inequality of content.
    I know someone will say that in real life womans are the ones suffering with inequality due to patriarchy, chauvinism and sexism, but making this game into a strictly dollhouse game instead of a life simulator only enforces the prejudice I faced as a little boy playing a game that to others sounded like I was playing Babie's Dreamhouse or something.
    I don't want the game to turn into male party city. I wan't equality, and a safe place for little boys to play. Gay or not.
    As a grown gay men, I don't care anymore, but my young straight nephew have expressed to me that he's ashamed of other boys knowing that he likes to play this game cuz they will mock him.
    Of course, adding some masculine stuff in the game won't save humanity from sexism, but you can make the game more of a rainbow than strictly pink and sparkles or blue and gore.

I’m a straight old woman, and I would love to see more men’s clothes too. I even like to use some of the men’s shirts and things on my females. I often wear men’s t shirts, sweatshirts, and thermal shirts myself. And growing up I had long legs and preferred men’s jeans over women’s. So yes, we need more clothes for men, and children and toddlers too! A men’s stuff pack is a good idea! I was sorry the throw back fit kit didn’t contain more men’s fashions, but I did notice a pair of of the women’s pants also look nice on the men.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I find enough masculine clothes through game assets and cc, but I certainly wouldn’t mind more masculine clothing. What I want most is for male Sims to be able to wear female clothes without suddenly having breast bumps.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    rhalius wrote: »
    Star Wars pack was a huge missed opportunity to draw in more men too, considering the actual clothing from star wars would have been better than the weird stuff they added. The costume designers of Star Wars have better fashion sense than whoever made the clothes for that pack.
    I see what you mean, but I would hate having to buy the Star Wars pack just for some men's clothing. :| I agree with (what seems to be) the general opinion that a pack focussing more on traditionally male interests and using that as an "excuse" to include more stuff for males than females, would be better than a kit or SP focussing entirely on male sims, but then it shouldn't be something as niche as Star Wars.

Rouensims wrote: »
    What I want most is for male Sims to be able to wear female clothes without suddenly having breast bumps.
    This, 100%! The argument that you can always remove the gender tag and put women's clothes on male sims just doesn't fly because of that, you may be able to do it with some bottoms, but tops that were specifically designed for female sims usually have that breast shadow in their texture that looks weird on sims who don't have breasts, and you can't put masculine tops on females either because then it looks like they're not wearing a bra (unless that's what you're going for, I'm not judging). So yeah, while it's great that we can just remove the gender tag if we want, it doesn't solve all our problems.
  • fae_brassfae_brass Posts: 81 Member
    Okay, hear me out, I know this may not be a popular opinion but Kits could be a really cool opportunity for niche things like body hair. I didn't like the fact they created a kit that had CAS in it that was pretty dull but a body hair kit could be really interesting. Could include more beards, body hair for both genders and things like eyelashes. I'm on PS4 so I don't have the same chance to get CC so kits seem like a chance to include more random things in the game that might not make sense with a pack.
    edited March 2021
    Speaking of male hairstyles has no one but me ever noticed if a Sim (male) has a style that is a parted to one side or the other, Maxis (since TS2 days) creates all those swept bangs to one side. It has been extremely hard the past twenty years to find hairstyles (custom) that didn't also do this. I don't actually see the hairstyle in TS4 but I haven't been paying attention to any new hairstyles for males in a long time. But if they do add one with bangs that part or sweep over to one side it will usually be on the same side as the last time (if ever any type swept over bangs). Whether that is left or right, they keep making most of the styles sweep over to one particular side. It's so annoying. The Landgrabb son is an example, any hair that sort of combs to one side, is always the same side no matter if they did twenty different lengths or whatever of those. (even for females with a style like that it's always the same side) :s
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2021
    Considering how poorly treated the male gender is by the sims team in terms of content I wouldn't mind it. But they'll likely never do it...woke twitter would probably throw a fit and we all know how TS4 team is all about twitter....

They could do a..."man cave" kit or SP though.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited March 2021
    Men really need more undies. It's not even a complicated thing, just like a few versions of basic white tighties, more boxer options, tank undershirts, and stuff like that. Women have a fairly considerable selection of undergarments, and men have like 2 underwear options at best, in like 5 colors across both. I would really love to see a pack more like Master Suite Stuff from TS3 that really focused on clothing options like this.
    edited March 2021
    Men really need more undies. It's not even a complicated thing, just like a few versions of basic white tighties, more boxer options, tank undershirts, and stuff like that. Women have a fairly considerable selection of undergarments, and men have like 2 underwear options at best, in like 5 colors across both. I would really love to see a pack more like Master Suite Stuff from TS3 that really focused on clothing options like this.

TS4 doesn't even have briefs for the males...and only two boxers options is disgraceful. Though women don't have a lot either. Can't for the life of me understand why they thought another fitness pack over a sleepwear one would be a good idea.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    CopperBolt wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense for their playerbase..it's primarily women aged 18-24, and then after that women aged 25+. These players mostly play with female/feminine Sims. Would a pack with more male hairstyles and fashion be awesome? Sure, but I don't want an exclusively male pack, and it simply wouldn't be profitable.

It makes about as much sense as Vampires, or Paranormal, or Realm of Magic. All of these are vehemently hated by a fairly large chunk of the Sims 4 players, to the point where they had to nerf the Vampire night visit mechanic out of the game because so many non-supernatural players complained that the supernatural pack they bought was too supernatural for their non-supernatural games.

Furthermore, while there's a large portion of the community who HATES and DOES NOT PLAY supernatural sims EVER, I think the portion of players out there who don't play Sims of one specific sex or gender is excessively microscopic. I'm gay, I primarily play gay male Sims in my saves, but I also play female Sims for my bi and straight families, meaning that even though I don't play females a lot, I still do play them in the game in order to have a diverse cast of Sims. I also redesign random townies constantly, so even Sims I don't outright play benefit from me having access to a wide variety of CAS options. Likewise, those women who might be the target player base will still be playing male Sims, especially if they tend to gravitate towards straight families. Those women still want diversity in outfits and looks that they can do for their Sims - some might want the Brawny Paper Towels mascot as the daddy of their family living in the woods of Brindleton Bay, some may want the sleek, suave Don Juan as the strapping hunk who their Sims have an affair with behind their Sim husband's back... I can go on and on. Either way, whether or not you believe it, I think you discredit a ton of those women players by assuming they don't want more diverse male fashion in their games. I personally am sick to f'ing death of crop tops for females, and it's sometimes hard to make female Sims where their pants connect to the hems of their shirts, so I'm just like them in that I can appreciate CAS options for the sex and genders I don't usually play because I crave diversity just like everyone else.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think we need more clothing for adult males, more dad type clothes that would be worn by middle aged sims. Many of the clothes we have now are only suitable for young adults with the hipster skinny jeans that end above the ankle. We also need some nice Hawaiian shirts and leather biker outfits.

Sadly, this is a massive flaw across the Sims as a whole, not just for men. It's EXTREMELY hard to make any Sim who looks conservative or even grandmotherly, because nearly all the fashion in the game is geared towards 20-30 year olds or specific cultures. Like for real, I want to make a little old granny in her flower print dress with a frilly apron and lace coming out of the sleeves to invite you over to tea, or a church lady with an extravagant hat and lovely dress that doesn't reveal like 50% of her back and upper chest. I just want diversity for older Sims.
    fae_brass wrote: »
    Okay, hear me out, I know this may not be a popular opinion but Kits could be a really cool opportunity for niche things like body hair. I didn't like the fact they created a kit that had CAS in it that was pretty dull but a body hair kit could be really interesting. Could include more beards, body hair for both genders and things like eyelashes. I'm on PS4 so I don't have the same chance to get CC so kits seem like a chance to include more random things in the game that might not make sense with a pack.

Body hair isn't niche, it's something that absolutely needs to be in the base game. People have body hair, it's part of being human. Men tend to get chest and back hair, along with arm, leg, and armpit hair. Women don't so much get chest and back hair, but they do have fainter arm hair, leg, and armpit hair. It's generally only the models you see in magazines (who generally paint unrealistic looks of men and women) who shave down to being walking dolphins, but your everyday men and women will tend to have varying degrees of body hair. This is not something that needs to be relegated to a niche kit or stuff pack. It's something that applies to everyday people and should be in the base game.

That said, it shouldn't be treated like accessory slots in that the game's RNG townie makers has a dire need to fill empty slots all the time that result in things like glasses on toddlers, the cursed eyeball ring, and flippers on swimsuits.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Giorgio Armani Stuff

giorgi10.jpg

As much fun as I've had with the gameplay and Build/Buy that came with Moschino stuff, a team-up with Armani would have been much more my speed in terms of CAS fashion.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    We need more colourful stuff. Those black on black outfits look so generic and nondescript.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    We need more colourful stuff. Those black on black outfits look so generic and nondescript.

i disagree, a darker palette is lacking on the game, ts4 is already too shiny and colorful
  • fae_brassfae_brass Posts: 81 Member
    @TheGreatGorlon yes sorry maybe 'niche' isn't the right word. Maybe I mean more like specific. So it isn't something we will get an EP or GP and I'd rather they didn't do an SP for it but I'd be okay paying for a Kit of it. I've sort of given up waiting for free updates for things like that but maybe it will happen, who knows. I agree that it should be in the base game but if it's a free update maybe we'll just get a few bits but not a whole range. I'd also like to see them update the eyelashes for free because I hate how clunky they are and they really need to change. They look more like heavy eyeliner than eyelashes. Pretty envious of the mods out there for beautiful eyelashes because they really lift the whole look of a Sim.
    bella_goth wrote: »

i disagree, a darker palette is lacking on the game, ts4 is already too shiny and colorful

There is a massive overabundance of earth tones and blacks in the men's wardrobe (and even a lot of furniture). It's actually quite difficult to find basic colors in men's fashion that isn't either eye-bleeding neon and/or tied in heavily with some weird pattern like the City Living/Movie Night clothing.
    I think we need more clothing for adult males, more dad type clothes that would be worn by middle aged sims. Many of the clothes we have now are only suitable for young adults with the hipster skinny jeans that end above the ankle. We also need some nice Hawaiian shirts and leather biker outfits.

Sadly, this is a massive flaw across the Sims as a whole, not just for men. It's EXTREMELY hard to make any Sim who looks conservative or even grandmotherly, because nearly all the fashion in the game is geared towards 20-30 year olds or specific cultures. Like for real, I want to make a little old granny in her flower print dress with a frilly apron and lace coming out of the sleeves to invite you over to tea, or a church lady with an extravagant hat and lovely dress that doesn't reveal like 50% of her back and upper chest. I just want diversity for older Sims.

Yes, TS2 suffered badly by too many tank tops for the females and all the shirts for both male and females were belly button tops. Maxis was obsessed with showing the belly button. Not even male pullover shirts line up with the waistband of any separate pants to wear. It drove me crazy. All teens, YAs, adults and even some elderly clothes showed the belly button. TS4 isn't that bad nor was TS3 but still there are way too many tanks under jackets, or simple tanks in fifty different colors or styles, and not enough skirts and tops and or dresses or even male outfits in any of these games. Maxis gets on a kick and can't get off it.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yes, TS2 suffered badly by too many tank tops for the females and all the shirts for both male and females were belly button tops. Maxis was obsessed with showing the belly button. Not even male pullover shirts line up with the waistband of any separate pants to wear. It drove me crazy. All teens, YAs, adults and even some elderly clothes showed the belly button. TS4 isn't that bad nor was TS3 but still there are way too many tanks under jackets, or simple tanks in fifty different colors or styles, and not enough skirts and tops and or dresses or even male outfits in any of these games. Maxis gets on a kick and can't get off it.

It was the 2000's, everyone was obsessed with crop tops and low rise flare jeans....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1