Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Calling anyone who has respect for history

2...Next

Comments

• WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I understand that part of architecture - I am an avid reader of AD lol. It's just all so badly done here, that it shows no respect to what came before, or very little. It adds nothing, and takes away nearly everything. That's what breaks my heart. Maybe the new owners when found will tear it all down and do a better job.
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    It's just all so badly done here, that it shows no respect to what came before, or very little.

Yeah amen to that. Very little.

Lol I just imagined how these events would be inscribed in its registry plaque. “In 2020, the castle was repurposed as a bed and breakfast.”
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think the concept of combining old and new is cool but that extension is d*mn ugly and looks cheap and tacky :#
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I think the concept of combining old and new is cool but that extension is d*mn ugly and looks cheap and tacky :#

@Onverser lol yeah they really went for 2007 LA Mcmansion with it.
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    I'm very much into history, I love castles, AND I'm part Irish so this makes me super mad! I can't believe the disrespect and total lack of taste!
    1500x500.jpg
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    That does not look good.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited June 2021
    I actually like the concept, blending medieval and modern, but the execution fell short. I think if they even had just done the modern part in gray concrete it would have looked better. I do think it would be fun to tackle in game.

Edit: Just looked at the interior pictures... ugh. They completely redid the interior and didn't even attempt to work with the original building in there. It's just gone. Sad.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2021
    This building is not as old (no buildings in Australia are), but what they did to the inside of this is even worse. Oh, they pretended to be happy with the end result and so on, but they barely lived there a year before they sold it. After completely RUINING the inside.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/interiors/fury-over-ugly-heritage-building-renovation/news-story/5c877c055489a5daa6365fd73454ee83

I watched the episode of Restoration Australia on Netflix which covered this renovation, and I just cringed all the way through.
  • zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member

Not a castle either, it's a hunting lodge that was built in 1712 and rebuilt following a severe fire. They got planning permission from local conservation experts in line with the Grade II listing, and the original is listed because it's an interesting example of 'picturesque folly', which is basically an expensive building (generally from the late 1600s - 1800s) with an overly ornate design built primarily for pleasure.