Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's Guide: A History of the Sims 4

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2021
    Nikkih wrote: »
    When a game is still in development, there's time for improvement, the sims 4 is world's away from where it was at launch, there's also been talk of story progression possibly coming to the game (which I would personally love), the truth is nobody knows where this game will be going or when it will end apart from the developers, i don't believe the sims 4 will have every feature and detail as the previous games, at the end of the day its everyone's own personal opinion of what they think of the sims 4

Sims 4 era will be ending soon. EA wouldn’t have made kits a thing if this game weren’t wrapping up in the next year or two. They want to squeeze every last drop of money out of people who buy Sims 4 content while they still have an audience this size.

I agree and why in one of post that I posted Sims 4 is at its peak and some of the better features that was in Sims 3 will not make it into Sims 4 and for me I am sitting out the rest of this version and as far as Sims 5 goes no peps needed if it is mentioned for it has lost its drawing power to me. I just remember in the past versions how EA/Maxis promoted their upcoming packs and they do here with little fanfare and "Here you go" attitude.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    @PreCiious I too do not like the direction the Sims 4 game took to be therapy for people - a video game should be entertainment - not therapy. It makes the game so dull - all the humor and unexpected that was in the previous sims games is gone and it is why so much gets nerfed. About the only thing that makes me laugh playing anymore is when a sim slips in a mud puddle!

I also have always disliked how they have no personality - traits rarely matter much at all and there are so few traits - definitely a doll house and not a life simulator. There should have been many more traits and aspirations added with all these packs that have come out, yet we rarely get them and have to keep using the same ones over and over again. Instead - we get sentiments and lifestyles - buggy, as with most things sims 4 has released, and usually make no sense at all - I turned off lifestyles as they just make the sims even more one dimensional. And the main selling feature - emotions - oy - always been a mess - basically every sim is really messed up as no one flips though so many emotions in so little time or has so many different emotions stacked at one time. In Sims 2 - I did not need a color coded texted buff to know what a sim was feeling - it was obvious by facial expressions and actions. The AI for autonomous behavior is a joke too - why do sims even drink water when they do not have a thirst need? Sigh. Think I have yet to ever have all the sims in a household actually sit and stay seated at a table to eat a meal - never an issue in sims 2.

I also get annoyed that so many things never get fixed - so much I avoid in the game due to bugs. Seems they have little to no QA as the packs and updates just roll out full of bugs. And I rarely like when they change something that I already paid for with an update - like gardening and vampires and other things that they consider "improvements". They also just stop doing things they once did and were a basic part of the game, like whims, and often "forget" to integrate features like adding to the club system or holidays system. They used to do challenges too and we never see those anymore.

This game has always disappointed to one degree or another because one naturally thinks that better technology and a later version of a game will be much better, not much worse. It may look good, but the AI and gameplay is inferior to previous versions of Sims game.
    telemwill wrote: »
    I am torn. I finally listened to this video today, and I agree with a lot of it, especially about the early phases of Sims 4. Some things Carl wants, like story progression, I wouldn't want. Nor do I care about cars. I do want more personality though.

I never bought the base game as I was satisfied with Sims 2 at the time. I wouldn't even have considered it without toddlers, but actually I waited until it was free. So maybe I would be bitter also if I paid for the game.

I have paid for dlc, but almost always at half price sales. So my expectations may be different from someone who paid full price.

The truth is, in spite of all that is missing in terms of Sims personalities and animation, I enjoy the game. I play almost daily. I do use some mods to help, but those don't completely fill the gaps for me. Still I am having fun. I would have a difficult time going back to Sims 2 and not have the ability to travel between worlds or have time pass when I leave the home lot.

I hope the Sims team is serious about fixing bugs. It's discouraging when a brand new kit is released and is so buggy, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I also hope we get some serious attention to personality. Sentiments and lifestyles were a good attempt, but don't always make sense.

I am happy that I did not pay full price myself, however as far as bugs goes an developer is only as good as in how it addresses the bug issues and for me EA/Maxis has failed at it for it shows in the posts that is all over the place and also there bugs that was not addressed in previous versions and when this version cease to be produced, I am quite sure there will be bugs that will never be fixed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Lazzial wrote: »
    Considering Sims 5 is now in development and "well underway" apparently, we may just see the occasional pack now and then which, I'm actually fine with. I really don't think the game engine can handle any more expansions anyway. My game gets pretty laggy at times and I have a decent gaming computer. Thankfully they're using Unreal Engine for Sims 5. They should be able to do a lot more with it.

I’ve dismissed other players hopes for games like Paralives because I still had faith that the Sims franchise could improve in the future but what I’ve read of it’s future so far has made me rethink my dismissal of Paralives might have been a mistake.

And maybe your dismissal of TS5 will turn out to be wrong too. We'll have to see :) i dont necessarily trust EA to do it well either but I hope they pull a hail mary somehow and it all works out because 7 years is just too long to wait for a good Sims game 😭
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    @PreCiious I too do not like the direction the Sims 4 game took to be therapy for people - a video game should be entertainment - not therapy. It makes the game so dull - all the humor and unexpected that was in the previous sims games is gone and it is why so much gets nerfed. About the only thing that makes me laugh playing anymore is when a sim slips in a mud puddle!

I also have always disliked how they have no personality - traits rarely matter much at all and there are so few traits - definitely a doll house and not a life simulator. There should have been many more traits and aspirations added with all these packs that have come out, yet we rarely get them and have to keep using the same ones over and over again. Instead - we get sentiments and lifestyles - buggy, as with most things sims 4 has released, and usually make no sense at all - I turned off lifestyles as they just make the sims even more one dimensional. And the main selling feature - emotions - oy - always been a mess - basically every sim is really messed up as no one flips though so many emotions in so little time or has so many different emotions stacked at one time. In Sims 2 - I did not need a color coded texted buff to know what a sim was feeling - it was obvious by facial expressions and actions. The AI for autonomous behavior is a joke too - why do sims even drink water when they do not have a thirst need? Sigh. Think I have yet to ever have all the sims in a household actually sit and stay seated at a table to eat a meal - never an issue in sims 2.

I also get annoyed that so many things never get fixed - so much I avoid in the game due to bugs. Seems they have little to no QA as the packs and updates just roll out full of bugs. And I rarely like when they change something that I already paid for with an update - like gardening and vampires and other things that they consider "improvements". They also just stop doing things they once did and were a basic part of the game, like whims, and often "forget" to integrate features like adding to the club system or holidays system. They used to do challenges too and we never see those anymore.

This game has always disappointed to one degree or another because one naturally thinks that better technology and a later version of a game will be much better, not much worse. It may look good, but the AI and gameplay is inferior to previous versions of Sims game.

Exactly... this game cant just be pretty, espacially if you offer us LiveMode Gameplay,. It cant just be a virtual reality to calm the patients down. I dont need that serious stuff in this game. Give me quirkiness, danger and consequences for my actions. (I swear a fire barely happens in my Game, even though i put a rug and a plant infront of the fireplace what else do i have to do...)

I think its so sad that i have to rely on modders (Community again) to fix the game or to adjust the gameplay. I think if it wasnt for the one mod by Simvasion, I would have not played the Doctors Career (Nurses basically talking instead of working). This Game is all over the place. The increase in quantity started with the sims3 though. Before you know it, they recommened you to disable some of these pack bc the BaseGame is unstable, while also nerfing down or just remove features for balance reasons...

We now that they can do good, yet some of these packs/features are a miss or a hit. What a mediocre game.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    The community had no easy access to these kind of tutorials back in the Sims Online days or even just before TS4 was released. Plus the software wasn’t as user friendly as it is nowadays.
    I don’t know for a fact, but I feel confident enough to say that TS4 has generated a lot more content creators compared to the previous titles because of this easy access to resources. In fact, EA/Maxis will most likely use it to their own advantage and so they should if they had any sense from a business POV.

You are completely wrong about this. Guess who used to have tutorials for TS2...Carl. He's been around creating tutorials since forever. And CC creation was just as easy back then, too. I know...I ran a website for TS2 and created both mods, objects, recolors, and builds. We used the same tools back then that we use now. The only change is that people who kept on modding for the newer games skill level improved. TS2 still has an active community and mods are still being made for it. Same for TS3. TS4 is not unique in any way as far as modding goes. What is unique is seeing a modder getting paid $8500/month for creating mods that he doesn't update and have been broken since 2019. Heck, when I saw that I seriously considered getting back into modding because I would at least keep my stuff up to date and make it worth paying me for. But no...I'll mod for the indie game instead. That one is actually going to have tools built into the game for modding.

You're right...TS5 will probably have built in tools, too, because they saw the indie game doing it.
  • LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    The community had no easy access to these kind of tutorials back in the Sims Online days or even just before TS4 was released. Plus the software wasn’t as user friendly as it is nowadays.
    I don’t know for a fact, but I feel confident enough to say that TS4 has generated a lot more content creators compared to the previous titles because of this easy access to resources. In fact, EA/Maxis will most likely use it to their own advantage and so they should if they had any sense from a business POV.

You are completely wrong about this. Guess who used to have tutorials for TS2...Carl. He's been around creating tutorials since forever. And CC creation was just as easy back then, too. I know...I ran a website for TS2 and created both mods, objects, recolors, and builds. We used the same tools back then that we use now. The only change is that people who kept on modding for the newer games skill level improved. TS2 still has an active community and mods are still being made for it. Same for TS3. TS4 is not unique in any way as far as modding goes. What is unique is seeing a modder getting paid $8500/month for creating mods that he doesn't update and have been broken since 2019. Heck, when I saw that I seriously considered getting back into modding because I would at least keep my stuff up to date and make it worth paying me for. But no...I'll mod for the indie game instead. That one is actually going to have tools built into the game for modding.

You're right...TS5 will probably have built in tools, too, because they saw the indie game doing it.

Some are making 15k+ a month. I don't expect they'd be too eager to shut down their Patreon accounts to make mods directly for EA :D
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

I get what you’re saying, although I still believe that due to the current player base being much larger, the modding community is bigger too and therefore more folks are creating cc. On top of that, the modding community has been getting a lot of attention, not just by simmers but by the company itself. This could possibly encourage simmers to create more custom content. Look at Spark’d. It’s the perfect example in which folks are encouraged by Maxis to create something. Next step is CC.

The game aesthetics have also changed since TS2, and no one can deny that TS4 looks that bit smoother. The next gen will (hopefully) even look more pleasing. “Pleasing” being of course subjective. Still, one needs the proper tools and skills to create assets that look at least similar in style to the official in game assets and the tools are there for people to do this. Sure they were always there, including 1 or 2 tutorials, but nowadays more folks may find it much easier to access them and learn how to use them, thanks to popular game changers pointing them in the right direction and what not. There’s gonna be bigger choice in CC content.

I’m not saying this will be the way, I’m just sharing my thoughts on what the next title may have in store for us.
    Some are making 15k+ a month. I don't expect they'd be too eager to shut down their Patreon accounts to make mods directly for EA :D
    No, I don’t expect most of them to shut down their patreon accounts either ( how am I supposed to get some of my favorite mods? Certainly not through EA 😇).
    I just believe that it’s possible that somewhere in the near future a system is put in place that gets us to somehow access (and pay for ) CC without needing to try and find it via other channels. Folks are willing to pay for ease of access. I don’t even know how EA will regulate this kind of business, but I definitely wouldn’t put it past them.

Again, I don’t know. Just thinking out really loud. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2021
    PreCiious wrote: »
    AprilDawn wrote: »

Exactly... this game cant just be pretty, espacially if you offer us LiveMode Gameplay,. It cant just be a virtual reality to calm the patients down. I dont need that serious stuff in this game. Give me quirkiness, danger and consequences for my actions. (I swear a fire barely happens in my Game, even though i put a rug and a plant infront of the fireplace what else do i have to do...)

I think its so sad that i have to rely on modders (Community again) to fix the game or to adjust the gameplay. I think if it wasnt for the one mod by Simvasion, I would have not played the Doctors Career (Nurses basically talking instead of working). This Game is all over the place. The increase in quantity started with the sims3 though. Before you know it, they recommened you to disable some of these pack bc the BaseGame is unstable, while also nerfing down or just remove features for balance reasons...

We now that they can do good, yet some of these packs/features are a miss or a hit. What a mediocre game.
    Exactly. When I mentioned fantasy stuff getting nerfed, it is the reality stuff getting nerfed too. Bust Dust kit is a good example of that. I agree quality going downhill with the Sims 3. Sims 3 store was a nightmare. Why they bring it back with the kits I don't understand.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    simmietime wrote: »
    I really dont get why TS2 is so high on peoples pedestals, its so old and it shows.
    @simmietime You can read any thread in the feedback section or watch any video about the Sims 2 or even read this thread if you want to know why people love the Sims 2 so much.
    I also don't think the Sims 2 is showing its age that much. It did personalities and just sims themselves so much better in my opinion. It really is surpising how they did that in 2004. Even the fact that the Sims 2 has sooooo many animations, I think for a 2004 game that says something. They didn't nearly recycle as many animations as they do now.
    Also graphically I think the game still looks kind of "fine", definitely better than most games from that time of course assuming you know how to make the game run in High Definition and smooth edges. If you run the game on default settings of course it will look old.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 The Sims 2 modding community was absolutely HUGE. Pretty much everyone and their dogs had a website with self-made CC and Mods. Back in the Sims 1 days there was even this piece of software you could use to put any face in the game. I don't remember its name but there were tons of ways to "create" your game back then. It was super easy to use too.
    The content creators are maybe more because of how the internet changed. Back in 2004 to 2009 the internet wasn't used for recreational reasons as much as today and by so young people too. You can see that in statistics of any website that was meant for entertainment. They all have way higher numbers of visitors nowadays. I didn't even have internet at home till 2006 at the time.

Also the popularity of Youtubers and Content Creators turned "influencers" is what kind of gives the impression of the community growing. It's just back in the day, creators and players used to hang out in underground forums more.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I get what you’re saying, although I still believe that due to the current player base being much larger, the modding community is bigger too and therefore more folks are creating cc. On top of that, the modding community has been getting a lot of attention, not just by simmers but by the company itself. This could possibly encourage simmers to create more custom content. Look at Spark’d. It’s the perfect example in which folks are encouraged by Maxis to create something. Next step is CC.

The game aesthetics have also changed since TS2, and no one can deny that TS4 looks that bit smoother. The next gen will (hopefully) even look more pleasing. “Pleasing” being of course subjective. Still, one needs the proper tools and skills to create assets that look at least similar in style to the official in game assets and the tools are there for people to do this. Sure they were always there, including 1 or 2 tutorials, but nowadays more folks may find it much easier to access them and learn how to use them, thanks to popular game changers pointing them in the right direction and what not. There’s gonna be bigger choice in CC content.

I’m not saying this will be the way, I’m just sharing my thoughts on what the next title may have in store for us.
    No, I don’t expect most of them to shut down their patreon accounts either ( how am I supposed to get some of my favorite mods? Certainly not through EA 😇).
    I just believe that it’s possible that somewhere in the near future a system is put in place that gets us to somehow access (and pay for ) CC without needing to try and find it via other channels. Folks are willing to pay for ease of access. I don’t even know how EA will regulate this kind of business, but I definitely wouldn’t put it past them.

Again, I don’t know. Just thinking out really loud. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The modding community has always been huge. Always. And it was always just as disoriented as now with websites all over the place and impossible to keep track of. Gurus used to visit some sites regularly and have candid discussions with us. There is still nothing new going on besides how much money modders are allowed to make off of the game.

Also, I'ma let you in on a little history here. Back in the day, lots of modders were trying to monetize. There was a group of us who believed that using game assets shouldn't be allowed to make money on the stuff. So we petitioned EA's lawyers to look into the trend. And you'll never believe what came next. Stuff packs! They released stuff packs once they realized how much money they were losing by not releasing more stuff for the game because the community was obviously willing to pay for it. This was also when the gurus took a more distant approach to players. They started praising subscription sites like TSR and even worked with them to build a modding platform. So then it was completely about the money. They left the free sites in the dust. Now with TS4 it is all about influencers with the game created for people that take pictures of the game and don't actually play it. Not to mention that the game was supposed to be an MMO to begin with.

And I can deny that TS2 looks aged. As someone who still plays it regularly, I can tell you that my game looks great. I actually have 90% of the same CC in TS2 that I have in TS4. And it works better in TS2 because doing something out of passion is a lot different from people just trying to make an easy buck. And I know that's how most of these influencers operate. I was part of many groups who's only motives were becoming influencers for the free games and easy money. I stopped modding because I was not ok with hosing people for their money. EA already does enough of that.
    edited March 2021

The Sims 2 modding community was absolutely HUGE. Pretty much everyone and their dogs had a website with self-made CC and Mods. Back in the Sims 1 days there was even this piece of software you could use to put any face in the game. I don't remember its name but there were tons of ways to "create" your game back then. It was super easy to use too.
    The content creators are maybe more because of how the internet changed. Back in 2004 to 2009 the internet wasn't used for recreational reasons as much as today and by so young people too. You can see that in statistics of any website that was meant for entertainment. They all have way higher numbers of visitors nowadays. I didn't even have internet at home till 2006 at the time.

Also the popularity of Youtubers and Content Creators turned "influencers" is what kind of gives the impression of the community growing. It's just back in the day, creators and players used to hang out in underground forums more.
    It was called the Sims Creator. I waited until 2002 to play with tool. My fist self Sim was quite scary looking so CAS tools have come a long way.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_Creator
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm suspecting James Turner might start to feel the same, his recent video is named "The sims 4 is perfect in every way." featuring a picture of a dog glitching out, and he is not playing the sims4 in the video, he is reading reddit and discovers a new york themed sims3 map and asks his viewers if he should go back and play that.

In his latest sims4 video that he posted with his Snowy Escape Let's Play his sims lifestyles bugged out as well and when he tried to go skiing in Snowy Escape his game slowed down to 7 fps.
    logion wrote: »
    I'm suspecting James Turner might start to feel the same, his recent video is named "The sims 4 is perfect in every way." featuring a picture of a dog glitching out, and he is not playing the sims4 in the video, he is reading reddit and discovers a new york themed sims3 map and asks his viewers if he should go back and play that.

In his latest sims4 video that he posted with his Snowy Escape Let's Play his sims lifestyles bugged out as well and when he tried to go skiing in Snowy Escape his game slowed down to 7 fps.
    Yeah it was actually James that I found out about how Deligracy was treated by her community. Think he's been feeling that way for awhile. If a therapy is forcing 100% happiness unto someone it isn't a healthy therapy and often will cause more depression than help it. Humans aren't designed to act like robots and feel only one emotion. It is why we were designed with free will and each unique in our own ways.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    And I can deny that TS2 looks aged. As someone who still plays it regularly, I can tell you that my game looks great. I actually have 90% of the same CC in TS2 that I have in TS4. And it works better in TS2 because doing something out of passion is a lot different from people just trying to make an easy buck. And I know that's how most of these influencers operate. I was part of many groups who's only motives were becoming influencers for the free games and easy money. I stopped modding because I was not ok with hosing people for their money. EA already does enough of that.

TS2 and TS3 look too dated/aged for me too. I've had the Ultimate Collection installed for years and I've seen all the mods that people like Pleasant Sims use to make it look better, but TS2 is just not for me. I'm glad some people still get a lot of enjoyment from it, though.

I also think the TS4 modding community is so much bigger than TS2's ever was. There are also so many more TS4 players. Not everyone is independently wealthy enough to make mods as a hobby. I'm glad that some TS4 modders are compensated because they can make more mods that way and it's also nice to support someone whose stuff you use. Passion is great, but some people just can't afford to devote so much time to something out of passion. And if they're making thousands monthly from granting early access to their stuff, a lot of people agree. Modders are putting out entire stuff and game pack worth's of content. For example, Little Dica's fast food restaurant set and anything by Harrie/Felixandre, all of icemunmun's stuff, etc.
    edited March 2021
    Sims 2 and 3 may look aged or dated for some people but the gameplay for me is lacking in Sims 4, also for me all Sims 4 has going for itself is graphics. What good is it for me to play an game that just has graphics and lack luster gameplay.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Sims 1 and too may look aged or dated for some people but the gameplay for me is lacking for me in Sims 4. also for that is all Sims 4 has going for itself. What good is it for me to play an game that just has graphics and lack luster gameplay.

It's just not going to be playable for you then. :( I've modded my game so much and my playstyle has changed a ton since TS2 and TS3 days, so I enjoy TS4 a ton even though I am highly annoyed when EA releases something as broken as Bust the Dust. There's no way I'm putting that broken kit in my game.

I like building intricate homes for my sims with lots of details suited to their personalities and I also like gaining skills/crafting, so TS2 just doesn't work for me because building is better in TS4, there are so few skills in TS2 that my sims can have everything maxed before becoming adults, and there's not much to craft. I miss ballet from TS2 and 3 though.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    @SimmerGeorge , @Mstybl95 ,

Thanks for the history lesson. I believe you. I never said that the modding community wasn’t huge already. I’m sure it was. I just think it’s bigger, but hey, perhaps that’s just an illusion. And yes perhaps it’s this big because some folks see it as an easy way to make a quick buck but I also believe that EA could see it as a way to generate more money. That’s all I’m saying. I could be totally wrong. Right now I hope I am. But who knows.
    And I can deny that TS2 looks aged. As someone who still plays it regularly, I can tell you that my game looks great. I actually have 90% of the same CC in TS2 that I have in TS4. And it works better in TS2 because doing something out of passion is a lot different from people just trying to make an easy buck.

I didn’t say TS2 looks aged or doesn’t look great. I said TS4 looks that bit smoother in comparison. And in my opinion it looks better. Again, whichever look we prefer is subjective.
    I’m not a modder or a cc creator. I’m an end user and there’s only a handful of modders and cc creators who’s content is worthy enough to end up in any of my games. I can see the difference between content that has been created with skill and passion and content that has been rushed by someone with absolutely 0 eye for detail. That has nothing to do with for whatever game that content was created.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    logion wrote: »

Not at all coming for you, so please don't take this the wrong way! But I'm so sick of waiting until reasonable feedback seems to HAVE to be validated first by YouTubers before Maxis finally responds. We've seen it with certain glitches, lackluster pack content, and their incredibly slow response to addressing the concerns the black Simmer community had been sharing for years. Maxis needs to stop operating at the will of YouTubers and develop better autonomy of their own. This has been problematic ever since Rachel lead the team, calling them these YouTubers the Simlish word for "best friend," implying the rest of us are just common folk that, you know, pay the same price to play the same game. Really hope this issue ends with The Sims 4.

Also, for what it's worth, almost every time I've sparingly watched James Turner's videos, I've seen at the very least, one glitch per video -- no exaggeration.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    The next Sims version will probably have both options of Single Player & Multiplayer, like in Civilization VI.
    edited March 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    Sims 1 and too may look aged or dated for some people but the gameplay for me is lacking for me in Sims 4. also for that is all Sims 4 has going for itself. What good is it for me to play an game that just has graphics and lack luster gameplay.

It's just not going to be playable for you then. :( I've modded my game so much and my playstyle has changed a ton since TS2 and TS3 days, so I enjoy TS4 a ton even though I am highly annoyed when EA releases something as broken as Bust the Dust. There's no way I'm putting that broken kit in my game.

I like building intricate homes for my sims with lots of details suited to their personalities and I also like gaining skills/crafting, so TS2 just doesn't work for me because building is better in TS4, there are so few skills in TS2 that my sims can have everything maxed before becoming adults, and there's not much to craft. I miss ballet from TS2 and 3 though.

If one has to mod an game more than usual, it shows the game lacks greatness on it's own. I never had to mod Sims 2 or Sims 3 to enjoy the game ( I also do not use mods). But you are right about one thing Sims 4 will never be the game that has gameplay to really enjoy what it has to offer.
    haneul wrote: »

If one has to mod an game more than usual, it shows the game lacks greatness on it's own. I never had to mod Sims 2 or Sims 3 to enjoy the game ( I also do not use mods). But you are right about one thing Sims 4 will never be the game that has gameplay to really enjoy what it has to offer.

Our playstyles are probably just very different because I cannot imagine playing any Sims game without mods. Sims 4 is a bit boring without them (for me), Sims 3 is unstable, and Sims 2 is outdated.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Don't forget about the EA EULA guys - modders have to give their mods away for free at some point. At one point, the EULA stated they couldn't have it behind a paywall at all, so *shrug* And mods were actually required to play Sims 2 - if you didn't want to completely bork your game. So many things caused corruption just from normal play - never mind doing actual no no's like deleting sims, moving sims between worlds and I don't even remember all the things anymore. If you loaded your game, even in a custom hood, without mods and preferably blank templates, your hood was corrupted from the start from things Maxis did. So yeah, mods required.

Anyway, love Sims 4. Will it get better? Maybe. Will Sims 5 be better? No idea, the odds are not in its favor of me playing it - to date, I've only played Sims 1 out of the odd numbers, and that started my addiction and blew me away. If Sims 5 blows me away, and it would have to, then yeah, I'll play. Otherwise, I'll skip it and wait until 6 or move to Paralives or something. It's a game. There are plenty out there for me - though I would be extremely sad to see the Sims franchise end. Like ever!
    edited March 2021
    @SimmerGeorge , @Mstybl95 ,

Thanks for the history lesson. I believe you. I never said that the modding community wasn’t huge already. I’m sure it was. I just think it’s bigger, but hey, perhaps that’s just an illusion. And yes perhaps it’s this big because some folks see it as an easy way to make a quick buck but I also believe that EA could see it as a way to generate more money. That’s all I’m saying. I could be totally wrong. Right now I hope I am. But who knows.
    And I can deny that TS2 looks aged. As someone who still plays it regularly, I can tell you that my game looks great. I actually have 90% of the same CC in TS2 that I have in TS4. And it works better in TS2 because doing something out of passion is a lot different from people just trying to make an easy buck.

I didn’t say TS2 looks aged or doesn’t look great. I said TS4 looks that bit smoother in comparison. And in my opinion it looks better. Again, whichever look we prefer is subjective.
    I’m not a modder or a cc creator. I’m an end user and there’s only a handful of modders and cc creators who’s content is worthy enough to end up in any of my games. I can see the difference between content that has been created with skill and passion and content that has been rushed by someone with absolutely 0 eye for detail. That has nothing to do with for whatever game that content was created.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I mean doesn't matter if you like the Sims 4 art style or not, it is still graphically superior compared to the previous games cause technological leap. So yeah I agree it looks a lot smoother, and in general better than the 15 or 20 year old Sims games. It's not up for debate to say it has better graphics, it is pretty much a fact. But yeah the art style does bother some people, not me personally. However the art style is more of a subjective thing.