Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's on your menu tonight?

Comments

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited March 2021
    Found some curry lemon grass seasoning that sounded good and air fried some shrimp in it and air fried balsamic Brussels sprouts to go with it (these are my new addiction apparently just so good).

And pumpkin pie for dessert (that I bought for pi(e) day yesterday but didn't eat just slept instead lol)
  • PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Found some curry lemon grass seasoning that sounded good and air fried some shrimp in it and air fried balsamic Brussels sprouts to go with it (these are my new addiction apparently just so good).

And pumpkin pie for dessert (that I bought for pi(e) day yesterday but didn't eat just slept instead lol)

That seasoning sounds amazing, I'd love to try it on potatoes, roasted. Also, air fried balsamic Brussels? Count me IN!

I ended up deciding on the cottage pie. It's something I've been making for more years than I can remember. It's pretty easy, and you can vary what vegetables you put in it according to taste. I've stopped using the dried thyme and instead use a small handful of dried Italian herb mix.

The other thing I like to do is, once I've removed it from the oven, I put it under the grill to make the top extra crispy (sometimes I add breadcrumbs to help it crisp up).

So anyway, here's the recipe:

Cottage Pie
    Serves 4

1 cup TVP mince (textured vegetable protein)
    2 cups vegetable stock
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    1½ tablespoons tomato sauce or tomato paste
    200 g tinned baked beans
    ¼ cup frozen green peas
    150 g tinned, chopped tomatoes
    2 tablespoons milk
    750 g potatoes, cooked and mashed
    ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
    Place the TVP mince and the stock in a large bowl and leave to soak for six minutes. Drain the mince through a fine strainer, discarding the stock.
    In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and carrots and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent (not brown).
    Add the TVP mince, salt, pepper, thyme, tomato sauce (or paste), baked beans, and tomatoes along with their can juice. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add the peas and simmer for another two minutes.
    Transfer the mixture to a medium sized baking dish.
    Stir the milk and half of the cheese into the mashed potatoes, then spread the potato over the top of the mince mixture to cover it completely. Scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
    Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbling.
  • olivetree000olivetree000 Posts: 18 Member
    I’m eating a salad with chicken. I try to eat properly. I lost a little weight during quarantine in spring. I think it's because I had more time and I was more attentive to my nutrition. But at the end of the summer I returned to my usual way of life, so I gained 4 kg. But now it's lockdown, and I plan to monitor my diet again. I liked my body in the summer, I want it back. But it’s difficult when your family continuing eating cakes, burgers, pasta and you just look at that and think “I want it too”.
  • Charla97Charla97 Posts: 66 Member
    On my menu tonight is homemade pie.
    edited March 2021
    @olivetree000 Sure is hard when you're surrounded by temptation. But if eating well makes you feel good, you stick at it. You can do it!

:)

Allow yourself the occasional guilt-free treats too. It's a healthy way to be.
    edited March 2021
    Tonight was fried tortellini covered in Italian herbs and onion powder tossed in roasted garlic olive oil. Roasted garlic and herb tomato sauce to dip. Delish.

dreamerz13 wrote: »

That seasoning sounds amazing, I'd love to try it on potatoes, roasted. Also, air fried balsamic Brussels? Count me IN!

Oh it would be good on roasted potatoes will have to try that at some point! Didn't even think if that I had no idea what to try it on it just sounded interesting... no such thing as too many unique spices in my cabinet. It did work well with the shrimp though but yes potatoes would be excellent.

edited March 2021
    Potato is always excellent @dreamerz13 :D
    Nothing tonight, I can't keep anything down :(
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Vegetarian Turkish Pide take away tonight, with their garlic pizzabread.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • TEXASKITTYKATTEXASKITTYKAT Posts: 5,909 Member
    Pork chops, broccoli cheese rice-a-roni & mixed vegetables
    Charla97 wrote: »

Sorry to hear this @Charla97 - I hope whatever the cause is, it's something that you will recover quickly from. Make sure you rehydrate as soon as you can keep something down (or if it goes on too long, get some IV fluids in hospital). Sorry to be all mumsy on you, but take care.
    edited March 2021
    Tonight I'm going to make this, since I have the ingredients at hand. We've had it before, it's quite tasty.

This could make a good breakfast dish as well, even though it's a pasta dish.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/easy-one-skillet-orzo-with-tomatoes-and-eggs

cnb8kaL.jpg

More shrimp tossed in that curry lemongrass seasoning... it's so yummy. And egg cups with spinach, mushroom, and smoked cheddar.

I forgot potatoes I was going to dice up potatoes for the egg cups but oh well. Another day. TBH the cups were awfully full anyway (I just used silicone muffin cups to cook in so they're not huge) so I might have to figure out something else or use smaller eggs (or mix half an egg and all the fixings in each cup but I didn't wanna break the yolk to split it up).

Charla97 wrote: »

Sorry to hear this @Charla97 - I hope whatever the cause is, it's something that you will recover quickly from. Make sure you rehydrate as soon as you can keep something down (or if it goes on too long, get some IV fluids in hospital). Sorry to be all mumsy on you, but take care.

Thank you @PriestessDreadful I appreciate it. I'm drinking a bit more at the moment so it's not too bad:) hoping to have some crackers later on today. Take care to.
    Red beans with lil smokies
    edited March 2021
    Red beans with lil smokies

What are "lil smokies"? Australian here, I'm not familiar with the term. I'm guessing little smokey sausages or salami??

Edit: Never mind, I googled it. Frankfurters, I know them as. :)
    I actually used a smallish pie dish when I made the below recipe the other night (I usually use a square one, but I used a narrower, rectangle one) so I had left over mince (TVP) mix.

Last night I sauteed some garlic in butter, then threw in the left over TVP mix. Combined with some cooked penne pasta, and voila! Fresh, new delicious meal. I was surprised how well it came out.

So there you go, I've given y'all two ideas in one. :)

Cottage Pie
    Serves 4

1 cup TVP mince (textured vegetable protein)
    2 cups vegetable stock
    ¼ cup vegetable oil
    1 onion, diced
    1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    1½ tablespoons tomato sauce or tomato paste
    200 g tinned baked beans
    ¼ cup frozen green peas
    150 g tinned, chopped tomatoes
    2 tablespoons milk
    750 g potatoes, cooked and mashed
    ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat the oven to 180°C.
    Place the TVP mince and the stock in a large bowl and leave to soak for six minutes. Drain the mince through a fine strainer, discarding the stock.
    In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions and carrots and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent (not brown).
    Add the TVP mince, salt, pepper, thyme, tomato sauce (or paste), baked beans, and tomatoes along with their can juice. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add the peas and simmer for another two minutes.
    Transfer the mixture to a medium sized baking dish.
    Stir the milk and half of the cheese into the mashed potatoes, then spread the potato over the top of the mince mixture to cover it completely. Scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
    Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbling.

Fried shrimp po-boy
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I roasted a turkey. It came out nicely, juicy and succulent throughout but not underdone (so far as my carving knife could ascertain) with a golden bronze skin. We'd bought a few extra on sale around the holidays and put them in the chest freezer, and I finally decided I had best thaw one and cook it before the season warms to the point I wouldn't want to run the oven that much. There's still one in the freezer. We don't need an occasion for turkey, but I prefer not to run the oven for long in summer so I want to get it all done before then.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Going to have a small dinner tonight, I'm just going to make focaccia.

I make mine toasted with garlic butter, bocconcini (or in this case, I have mozarella on hand), cherry tomatoes, rocket (aragula), and balsamic vinegar, topped with freshly grated black pepper. They're just so delicious.
    Fish steaks, mixed vegetables & brussels sprouts
    Roasted potatoes and mini chicken sausage rolls.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Fettuccine with prawns, chilli, garlic & asparagus
    MLgj4Vx.png
    Thin spaghetti with olive oil, minced garlic & mixed vegetables.
    I'm going to have fattoush since it's been a while.

I serve mine with pan-fried haloumi. I roughly follow this recipe or similar:

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/fattoush

Photo borrowed from "The Mediterranean Dish" :
    XJyU0Km.jpg