Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5: Story and Narrative Features Planned?

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Duvelina wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are negative on this, isn't lore and characters with more depth and story what we want? Story and narrative centered gameplay can show itself in numerous ways, Sims 2 and 3 had story based gameplay whilst 4 has a much more of a do it yourself approach. I always enjoyed the story missions in 3 so I'd be happy to have something like that return

Since they're also hiring people to create an MMO subscription-based service, I wouldn't be surprised if this story/narrative-based part would be quests and events like in The Sims Freeplay and The Sims Mobile. It doesn't sound like lore to me at all.

I hope they won't be like the quests and events in Sims Freeplay cause those require your constant attention and to always be online. It gets tiresome after a while.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are negative on this, isn't lore and characters with more depth and story what we want? Story and narrative centered gameplay can show itself in numerous ways, Sims 2 and 3 had story based gameplay whilst 4 has a much more of a do it yourself approach. I always enjoyed the story missions in 3 so I'd be happy to have something like that return

Since they're also hiring people to create an MMO subscription-based service, I wouldn't be surprised if this story/narrative-based part would be quests and events like in The Sims Freeplay and The Sims Mobile. It doesn't sound like lore to me at all.

I hope they won't be like the quests and events in Sims Freeplay cause those require your constant attention and to always be online. It gets tiresome after a while.

I had the exact same experience. I really don't like it either and I just HOPE I'm wrong.

So true. I used to play Sims Freeplay, the mission objectives were impossible to complete in the given time unless you didn't work at all. That's where they get you - if you work where you can't attend to your mobile games, you need to buy Life Points with real money to quicken whatever needs to be done just so the mission is completed within the alloted time and you get the rewards (which can be really nice). I just gave up playing it after a while - this is why I love The Sims on PC, since I didn't have to deal with the frustrations of the online version and just play it any way I want. Of course they're not free-to-play, but I think they're worth every penny (except TS4).

• SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Interesting. This is starting to sound a lot like the build up to TS4 early on, only with a more definitive plan for what they want the new online format to be. I wonder if they'll again backtrack at the last minute, and build a single player game around a core intended for multiplayer interactions? Thinking about what type of popcorn I want to have ready when the show starts.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021

It depends on do they mean the narrative is the overall focus of a game and or if they mean actual linear play. Nobody who loves the pc versions of these games want a written out linear, quest type game for the pc. Think about the doctor career in TS4. It has a set way to play the career. Of course you can do other things at the hospital but you have to do those things, in order most of the time or you fail to raise performance etc. Or to cure a patient if not done in specific order. That's another possibility of what they mean by 'narrative'. It really could mean the Sim you chose has to play out the way the game is written and not deviate too far off course. Like The Sims Medieval.

Another example about TS4, in the doctor career you can socialize with those at the hospital but until it tells you to do that, then none of it counted. I wouldn't want that type of Sims' game to play and especially not with others. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

I want lore & characters, but not linear play. Sims 2 & 3 had backstory, but you decide what to do with them.

Sims 3 had quests and linear play, World Adventures for example was pretty much entirely a quest based pack. You could get a mission from the visitor board and then it'd tell you to do ---- to complete the mission and then you'd get rewarded for doing so. They had similar missions with a lot of other Sims 3 packs as well, it doesn't necessarily have to be an either or situation, they can have some story based play like 3 whilst still giving players the option to play however they want.

MTS_Shimrod101-1031444-UnlimitedAdventures.JPG
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I want lore & characters, but not linear play. Sims 2 & 3 had backstory, but you decide what to do with them.

Sims 3 had quests and linear play, World Adventures for example was pretty much entirely a quest based pack. You could get a mission from the visitor board and then it'd tell you to do ---- to complete the mission and then you'd get rewarded for doing so. They had similar missions with a lot of other Sims 3 packs as well, it doesn't necessarily have to be an either or situation, they can have some story based play like 3 whilst still giving players the option to play however they want.

Job and social opportunities were quests too.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    I won't pay for a subscription, especially on top of having to purchase the 'game' to have the privilege of playing. I want to be able to play even when money gets tight. I never played Sims Stories, so I have no clue, and I'm sorry I never got a chance to really play Sims Castaway. I was intrigued by the fact hair would grow, including a male Sims' beard. But, no, if it's a subscription/competitive game-style of play. Thanks, but no thanks. Might be the end-of-my-Sims-line for me. I'll stick with Sims4. Am having a great time, except for what happened in my game today. But, I digress.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    It's also possible that the Sims 5 might setup two different ways to play: Story Mode and Sandbox Mode

Lots of games are set up like that these days. The player chooses if they want to go into Story Mode where the player has a list of various premade storylines or challenges/quests to pick and choose from that they can play out.... or if they just want to go into Sandbox Mode where the player has the total freedom to create and play the game in whatever way they want (create households, build houses/lots, make up your own stories, etc).
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    It's also possible that the Sims 5 might setup two different ways to play: Story Mode and Sandbox Mode.

True. It could be like Planet Zoo which had four modes. Sandbox, career, challenge, and the online franchise mode. I've been playing for 2 years and have yet to try anything but sandbox.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

It's my story and narrative that I care about. I don't Care about Story and Narrative of The Sims Universe. I have the story, the plot, the script all written out. All the game needs to do is follow my lead and commands and simply put it in motion. I want my Sim characters to behave and act on their own how I intended.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member

Tbh I'm surprised, too. Myself I never made a secret of being anything other than a control freak when it comes to my sims, but from reading the forums I'd expected this community to welcome the new direction. Now imagine a handful of people equally tone deaf as me sitting in the positions where decisions are made: "They don't want to have to make up their own story? Alright, we'll give them one! And every townie will have a role, goals and predefined reactions to certain interactions. There, now they are happy!" (after launch) "Uh... Why aren't they happy?"
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The die hard Sims 2 and Sims 3 population is getting older and I think EA might be looking to change up things in order to stay relevant. Maybe even hoping to draw in some of the MMO crowd.

How old do you think the MMO crowd is?? :lol:

If EA wanted to hook in the younger generation in more, they'd create a game just like TS3. Open-ended simulation gameplay, a full open-world, complete customization, RPG inspired features, lots of skill gameplay, and actual fun themes to play with instead of a $40 pack to clean a dump.

Throw in things like crime, actual danger for our Sims, and more challenging/risky gameplay, and that's how they'd do it.

All of that coupled with TS2-like attention to detail and a true focus on actually improving the life sim genre and I'd think EA would have a great successor.
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    edited March 2021
    It's also possible that the Sims 5 might setup two different ways to play: Story Mode and Sandbox Mode.

True. It could be like Planet Zoo which had four modes. Sandbox, career, challenge, and the online franchise mode. I've been playing for 2 years and have yet to try anything but sandbox.

I'm like that too. I tend to play sandbox mode in most games. Some games also force you to play through the story/challenge mode first though before the sandbox mode becomes available, which always frustrates me. But I doubt Sims 5 would do something like that since they know the majority of simmers play the game solely for the reason of its sandbox play style.

As per the official Sims website: "HOW WILL YOU LIVE THE SIMS LIFE? It's your world, your rules, your way in The Sims. Play with life!"

It's highly doubtful they plan on taking that away from us in the next generation of the Sims game.

I think if they offer us a few different ways of playing the game (like Planet Zoo for example), that could be great for really giving players more choices to play the game in whichever way is their own personal preference.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

I never had WA and I always turned off opportunities, so i didnt experience that.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I read the article, thanks for the link. This is sounding worse and worse isn't it. I guess they have decided since so many enjoyed the packs like that SV that Simmers would love story driven gameplay. :/

The good news in all these updates from Simscommunity reporting on what type of positions are open to build the game, is the fact those who would love TS5 as a MMO and Story Driven/Competition game or much of it that way, I won't be there, and they can enjoy it without any negativity from me. lol Because I won't be touching it with a ten foot pole. I only point out flaws in the things I actually like and want improved such as TS4 (to a point) such as TS3 (to a point) and sometimes even in 1 &2...so, enjoy it Simmers, because I'm not going to say a negative thing about it, since I won't ever touch it and play it. Yay, for the RPG MMORPGers :p

I never did like the Sim Story games...I was bored to tears and felt confined and didn't buy any of them. I finally got Castaway, years and years later when Origin offered for about $4.00 just to see what was the fuss. I never even finished it.

I know I've said this before but we don't know its the sims 5 there talking about it could be a spin off @Cinebar
    also you don't know you might end up liking it though I know how you feel
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    I see three outcomes really, either we'll get a story like how the Sims 1/Bustin Out console ports treated it. So we'll have a basic plot opener of "Your mom yells at you to wake up, get a job and move out" to direct us to just... Play with some basic objectives to complete. And it'll be nice and seperate from the free-play/Play the Sims mode, which would probably be the best option.

Otherwise we'll hopefully get some Sims 2 styled mini-scripted moments for the first generation to set some character into everyone and a little direction we can make for our Sims, like how Tank could only get a military career or the Burbs and their cheating drama we get to see when we first play them

...Or we'll get the worst outcome of a Strangerville type setting on every neighbourhood with heavy scripting until the very end until we can finally unlock free-play... Hopefully that isn't the case, and I doubt it for most part.

Personally I hope at most the story will be like how it was in the console games/stories spin-off, where its there to unlock bonus items. I'm mixed otherwise, it could be good if it's done right and entirely optional. But otherwise I also fear we'll end up with your average mobile-game type story.
    L9q8VGi.png
    edited March 2021
    I read the article, thanks for the link. This is sounding worse and worse isn't it. I guess they have decided since so many enjoyed the packs like that SV that Simmers would love story driven gameplay. :/

The good news in all these updates from Simscommunity reporting on what type of positions are open to build the game, is the fact those who would love TS5 as a MMO and Story Driven/Competition game or much of it that way, I won't be there, and they can enjoy it without any negativity from me. lol Because I won't be touching it with a ten foot pole. I only point out flaws in the things I actually like and want improved such as TS4 (to a point) such as TS3 (to a point) and sometimes even in 1 &2...so, enjoy it Simmers, because I'm not going to say a negative thing about it, since I won't ever touch it and play it. Yay, for the RPG MMORPGers :p

I never did like the Sim Story games...I was bored to tears and felt confined and didn't buy any of them. I finally got Castaway, years and years later when Origin offered for about $4.00 just to see what was the fuss. I never even finished it.

I know I've said this before but we don't know its the sims 5 there talking about it could be a spin off @Cinebar

Spin offs don't get the AAA budget. It was stated three years ago in the job descriptions listed at that time on Glassdoor (where I first saw some) it was a AAA game for Maxis. It didn't state 'a new IP' either, meaning a totally different game. Such as nothing to do with Sims. It's hard to know what they are building but by some of the job descriptions we know it will have Live Service, competition, and by another job description, possibly a MMO or MMORPG. True, it may not be called TS5 but that is what everyone is calling Maxis' new AAA game project.

As for the other games such as those built for console they tend to be more scripted, I have yet to buy one. As for the story driven spin offs such as for laptops like Sims Life Stories, or Pet Stories, that was a big No, pass from me...way too scripted. As for Castaway, that game is so heavily scripted the Sim has nothing to do but do the chores until they can get more stuff then there is absolutely nothing to do back at camp until the next morning when the Sim is told to do something else. Even interactions with the ape is very limited. If pc serial players had wanted story driven, quest type games, back in TS3 days, then The Sims Medieval would have sold millions and millions of copies, it didn't. And was considered a financial failure. Not to say some who purchased it didn't like it, because they did, but most who loved TS3 would not even talk about it and demanded TSM players be removed with no space or category on their website to even mention it.

If players had wanted a MMO or MMORPG for The Sims, TSO would have been a huge financial success, it failed according to the developers (one in particular named Jean) financially. If Players had wanted a multiplayer for TS4 it would have not been reworked to be single player with some rpg flavors such as job tasks etc. but is still open ended, sandbox for the most part of it.

It's clear to me, those who started with The Sims don't want online games, as the main game, may be willing for it to be there if it is not the Focus of the game, but a side thing but even Simport failed badly in TS3.

There are differences in player types. Those who feel they must be part of the new adventure of a game, a community etc. will buy a new game, in a serial even if they hate the way it's built... Those who love the focus and concept of an older game will not buy a new game, may give in and try it but then go back to the one they prefer. Maxis has to find new players who don't know the history and or what was possible or not in a new game. Those who like online games would be the market Maxis wants to reach. They aren't going to be too worried about those who would never buy it due to they don't feel they have to share in a community that has changed. Then there are those who mod and or make money from videos who must go along to a new game because that is where the action is, and they feel they must be part of all that if they want to stay relevant. And then there are modders who would never move on to a different game because they actually don't need all that attention. (All of that is in reference to multiplayer)

As far as scripted play in TS3. I never did buy WA, it didn't belong in The Sims. I know people like it, I did not. I'm true to what I believe. I turned off opportunities in TS3, I don't jump to Maxis tune. I think I had to fuss to get a toggle to turn that off and other things (especially Story Progression) or I couldn't find the toggle to turn off opportunities at release. I know I raved about the annoying music every time a Sim did something...had to fuss to get that turned off, and I raved about the moodlet/buff system and the annoying sounds for that, and other things, and the wasted money on a sandbox game full of achievements for the player (lists) and badges for players instead of things about Sims for the Sims....

yeah, I don't like all that. TSM...how many times my Sim peed..really, what a waste of code.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Spin offs don't get the AAA budget. It was stated three years ago in the job descriptions listed at that time on Glassdoor (where I first saw some) it was a AAA game for Maxis. It didn't state 'a new IP' either, meaning a totally different game. Such as nothing to do with Sims. It's hard to know what they are building but by some of the job descriptions we know it will have Live Service, competition, and by another job description, possibly a MMO or MMORPG. True, it may not be called TS5 but that is what everyone is calling Maxis' new AAA game project.

As for the other games such as those built for console they tend to be more scripted, I have yet to buy one. As for the story driven spin offs such as for laptops like Sims Life Stories, or Pet Stories, that was a big No, pass from me...way too scripted. As for Castaway, that game is so heavily scripted the Sim has nothing to do but do the chores until they can get more stuff then there is absolutely nothing to do back at camp until the next morning when the Sim is told to do something else. Even interactions with the ape is very limited. If pc serial players had wanted story driven, quest type games, back in TS3 days, then The Sims Medieval would have sold millions and millions of copies, it didn't. And was considered a financial failure. Not to say some who purchased it didn't like it, because they did, but most who loved TS3 would not even talk about it and demanded TSM players be removed with no space or category on their website to even mention it.

If players had wanted a MMO or MMORPG for The Sims, TSO would have been a huge financial success, it failed according to the developers (one in particular named Jean) financially. If Players had wanted a multiplayer for TS4 it would have not been reworked to be single player with some rpg flavors such as job tasks etc. but is still open ended, sandbox for the most part of it.

It's clear to me, those who started with The Sims don't want online games, as the main game, may be willing for it to be there if it is not the Focus of the game, but a side thing but even Simport failed badly in TS3.

There are differences in player types. Those who feel they must be part of the new adventure of a game, a community etc. will buy a new game, in a serial even if they hate the way it's built... Those who love the focus and concept of an older game will not buy a new game, may give in and try it but then go back to the one they prefer. Maxis has to find new players who don't know the history and or what was possible or not in a new game. Those who like online games would be the market Maxis wants to reach. They aren't going to be too worried about those who would never buy it due to they don't feel they have to share in a community that has changed. Then there are those who mod and or make money from videos who must go along to a new game because that is where the action is, and they feel they must be part of all that if they want to stay relevant. And then there are modders who would never move on to a different game because they actually don't need all that attention. (All of that is in reference to multiplayer)

As far as scripted play in TS3. I never did buy WA, it didn't belong in The Sims. I know people like it, I did not. I'm true to what I believe. I turned off opportunities in TS3, I don't jump to Maxis tune. I think I had to fuss to get a toggle to turn that off and other things (especially Story Progression) or I couldn't find the toggle to turn off opportunities at release. I know I raved about the annoying music every time a Sim did something...had to fuss to get that turned off, and I raved about the moodlet/buff system and the annoying sounds for that, and other things, and the wasted money on a sandbox game full of achievements for the player (lists) and badges for players instead of things about Sims for the Sims....

yeah, I don't like all that. TSM...how many times my Sim peed..really, what a waste of code.

I'm just looking on the bright side @Cinebar there are a lot of things hobbies that I have now that if you had asked
    me would I like that I would have said no not at all but then I tried them and I really like them don't get me wrong an online sims game is not what I want but I might try it and I hope I would like it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • LivingWithLifeLivingWithLife Posts: 20 Member
    the sims 5 planning to have story features could be a great way to get back sims 4 family players but this could be another one of was fall flats . of course hopefully the story aspect of the sims 5 is optional as not everyone wants to play that way. and agin if it turns out to be a fall flat sims moders will probably be able to fix this quicker than the sims team. but I do believe in the people working on the sims 5 because they know that the sims has a very high standard and reputation
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Which they have been systematically wrecking and dragging into the mud. 21 years should provide astounding improvements, not 2+ decades of meh. As still concerned that 'story' will be a sims version of RPG, and probably on line. No thanks.
    the sims 5 planning to have story features could be a great way to get back sims 4 family players but this could be another one of was fall flats . of course hopefully the story aspect of the sims 5 is optional as not everyone wants to play that way. and agin if it turns out to be a fall flat sims moders will probably be able to fix this quicker than the sims team. but I do believe in the people working on the sims 5 because they know that the sims has a very high standard and reputation

I'm not so sure about that anymore. I mean the pit ball thingy was put into TS4 as is. The skin tones of some Sims have been ashy since 2014. It took years to get them to notice it and only because of actual current circumstances having to do with race. Not anything a Simmer said in particular but because of the fear of cancel culture. The traits of TS4 have been so lack luster people have actually cried about how boring the game could get since all Sims were the same. It took (7) years for them to take a look and their hand at any improvements with the base game traits. Seven years. It's just accepted now that a new pack will be full of game breaking bugs, which every pack Maxis has released in the last several years has had main features actually not even work correctly as soon as the player installed a new pack about the said new feature.

I can't hardly think they understand what reputation Maxis has developed since the release of TS4 let alone EA.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'll just ignore the narrative/story features (unless its hard-wired into the game right from the beginning); if that's the case, I'm out.

Otherwise I'll subscribe to the Adam Savage Substitution of Reality Theorem.
    giphy.gif

As far as WA was concerned, you have a choice on whether to do the quests or not, you won't get penalized for not doing them. There are times that I go to Shang Sim La/Champs Les Sims/Al Simhara
    and not bother exploring the tombs.

Whereas if one doesn't do every single task in Strangerville, you don't progress ahead, you're basically stuck unable to unlock the stuff that you need to use in build or buy mode.

Evidently there's two camps - one that doesn't mind being told to do A,B,C... and the other saying, "Don't put restrictions on my play. I fall into the latter camp.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Agree with you, but never heard of anything being locked by the 'story' elements.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I assume that means there will be quests to complete which is nothing new to the sims franchise, though it used to be exclusive to spinoffs or console/mobile Sims games. Sims 2 "narrative" was exclusive to premade families or just background lore stuff and it was up to the player whether to succeed or fail, though I read playing with some of those could broke the game.

Quests have been more frequent starting with opportunities in S3, there was even a whole EP about doing quests and getting rewards. Sims 4 added quests for aspirations where you have to complete them in a certain way to get to the next level. I wonder which option they will choose for TS5, I'll be ok with some narrative features like previous games but I'm more skeptical for it being the whole game, it would be more suitable for spinoff than the main game
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I merged two threads on this topic so that this discussion is happening in one place. :)
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    It could be a game within a game thing and not a full blown narrative thing. TS3 WA wasn't a full blown quest game, it is akin to TS4 JA, but with way more flexibility. You can explore and get treasure without a quest. However if you followed a quest the rewards were greater. I prefer WA to JA because you got 3 worlds and more quests. TBH I haven't finished all the quests in TS3 WA nor in TS4 JA. However, I never felt like I couldn't tell my own story nor that EA was heavy handed with it.

I don't mind some scripted stories/quests within the Sims that are optional. I would prefer more branching in the story lines with true thought provoking challenges and not just tedious tasks. Would be great if EA finally acknowledged that the BULK of Sims players are adults and programmed the game targeting adults. I don't mean with more violence, but more strategy, intensity. Have some expansion or game packs for teens like star wars, but a real deep in-depth rich playing game that engages adults.

I want to see more expansions that aren't stuff that they've done before. And a base game that comes with seasons, pets, and hobbies, especially swimming wherever (pool, ocean, lake, river). I'd love to see developed alien worlds and cultures with aliens that are true aliens and not sims with different colors or like Batuu, sims wearing costumes.

Honestly, I think TS5 should be something worth folks buying and not the old game on a new game engine that works on 4k monitors with a few differences but essentially you wind up purchasing the same EPs over and over.

Dust, dirty neighborhoods should be in base game, not a pack you buy for realism.

But that is wishful thinking. Gaming as devolved to transactional activities. Reminds me of when I was a kid and had pockets full of quarters so I could play video games in the game room. It is not about innovative game play it is about transactional game play. And that is sad.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱