Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Other
    I think Paralives looks interesting, but it is too early for me to judge. I also feel TS4 still has a lot of potential and I am not keen on the idea of starting all over again with TS5, at least not before TS4 feels complete to me and I can be confident that TS5 will suit my personal play style. I will keep an open mind about both games until I know more.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    If they will add open world again I'm definitely NOT interested, especially if we're going to be stuck in one world. I feel claustrophobic even thinking about it.
    I feel more claustrophobic and bored in TS4's tiny worlds because you can't even customize their environments.

Isn't it wonderful that we have TS2, TS3, and TS4? Something for everyone. <3

A lot of people can't buy TS2 anymore unfortunately because that would cut into TS4's sales since TS2 is a better closed world game. And TS3 gets cut down because if more people knew just how much better that game is, it would also cut into TS4's sales too (and is also why EA won't ever put TS3 on sale ever again).

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    If they will add open world again I'm definitely NOT interested, especially if we're going to be stuck in one world. I feel claustrophobic even thinking about it.
    I feel more claustrophobic and bored in TS4's tiny worlds because you can't even customize their environments.

Isn't it wonderful that we have TS2, TS3, and TS4? Something for everyone. <3

A lot of people can't buy TS2 anymore unfortunately because that would cut into TS4's sales since TS2 is a better closed world game. And TS3 gets cut down because if more people knew just how much better that game is, it would also cut into TS4's sales too (and is also why EA won't ever put TS3 on sale ever again).

I should have made it clear that I was referring to simmers who already have and prefer a particular version of the game. 🙂
  • TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I think Paralives will be a subscription service. I just looked at their website, and it says it "won't be a free-to-play game".

• DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    Tammors wrote: »
    I think Paralives will be a subscription service. I just looked at their website, and it says it "won't be a free-to-play game".

this does not mean that it is a subscription service. "free to play" means a game that you don't have to pay money at all to play, like most mobile games.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Other
    If Sims 5 does turn out to be an online game,I really hope it's like Minecraft,where you can choose between single player world or making an online server for you and your friends only. If it's a subscriptiuon service(I hope EA isn't THAT stupid)then I'll get Paralives. I'm also wondering about the sim game that Paradox Games talked about earlier this year..did they abandon the project?
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    Other
    If Sims 5 does turn out to be an online game,I really hope it's like Minecraft,where you can choose between single player world or making an online server for you and your friends only. If it's a subscriptiuon service(I hope EA isn't THAT stupid)then I'll get Paralives. I'm also wondering about the sim game that Paradox Games talked about earlier this year..did they abandon the project?

No, they're still working on it. They're just not allowed to say much about it yet, unfortunately.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Other
    Definitely on the fence on this one. No leaning as yet. Even with being retired I don't really have enough time to play everything as it is. I finally removed the Sims & Sims2 and stay with 3 & 4. I mean I could sit all day/night and play but have gained enough from Covid house arrest so try to keep active away (as far as possible) from my computer. I'm going to be out of clothes that fit me soon. :/
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    Definitely on the fence on this one. No leaning as yet. Even with being retired I don't really have enough time to play everything as it is. I finally removed the Sims & Sims2 and stay with 3 & 4. I mean I could sit all day/night and play but have gained enough from Covid house arrest so try to keep active away (as far as possible) from my computer. I'm going to be out of clothes that fit me soon. :/

Get a manual treadmill! They're better than electric treadmills because you have to work harder to use them. Plus they don't cost anywhere near as much as electric treadmills.

• APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    APotts wrote: »
    It is extremely unlikely that I will buy Sims 5, because I very much dislike the direction they are taking the series. However, I do like this type of game a lot, and I have no problem spending money on a good game, so it will likely be Paralives for me as long as Paralives does the Sims better than the Sims. :) If Paralives ends up disappointing at launch, I will skip that too.

When I look at how little time I spend playing Sims 4, versus the time I spend in playing Sims 3 and other games, I simply cannot justify how much money I have invested in Sims 4. I have zero desire to start this all over again with Sims 5. Of course, they could surprise me and release a proper Sims sequel, but currently I feel the odds of that happening are not looking so good. Especially with the talk of an online component, which is an auto fail in my opinion.

Additionally, I need a game that gives equal love to all ages & genders, as opposed to the majority of the CAS focusing on female adult sims, while a tiny amount gets split between other genders and ages. I wonder if anyone has ever done the math for this, it would be interesting to know how much each gender/age group gets as opposed to the overwhelming number of female sim items.

They have been very interested in hearing ideas about elderly Parafolk ideas. One of their devs was very interested in what type of gameplay could be extended to the elderly. Hopefully they won't be the forgotten population this time. One interesting thing was about gradual aging that you don't actually have to be older (mentally? and physically?) to start looking older...or getting taller etc. So many little things I have thought about that some of their developers are thinking about, too.

That sounds really interesting and fun. I have it on my wishlist, but have not been watching the development, hearing this gives me hope. Thanks for the info. 😊
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Tammors wrote: »

That is on the website due to a question they were asked about if it would be available for console, mobile etc. Which mobile games are usually free to play filled with microtransactions. I don't think they were planning a subscription service, because free dlc updates aren't free if you are paying a monthly fee and it's supposed to be played off line.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Nope. I don't care if it's for free. I have spent 20 years of my life with my Sims and I'm no traitor.

:) I understand this, it's why I have said I don't know but I don't want a mmo, online, whatever. But I look at it like this, Maxis is like your partner you were with for about fifteen years (longer if you were with Will Wright and his earlier games) but the partner starting flirting with other people who didn't appreciate what was so great about that relationship built on communication, respect, and delivery and performance. So, by the time you get to the 21st year you get these rumors that Maxis is moving on to it's new partners (RPG players) who don't even like your current relationship and there you are, left. I haven't left Maxis they have been leaving me, for years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • chele5213chele5213 Posts: 32 Member
    Nothing against Maxis but I'm just ready for something new.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I plan to buy both.

They are doing amazing innovative things in build mode! If they make para people as in depth it'll be irrefutable for me...
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Other

Get a manual treadmill! They're better than electric treadmills because you have to work harder to use them. Plus they don't cost anywhere near as much as electric treadmills.

I had an indoor bike but now space is a factor. My lungs don't allow for the work harder part. COPD came along about the time I retired so put an end to some of my "get up and go plans". However my new place is close to the waterfront and next to a river park so once our weather warms up I will hit the walking trail. Well maybe not hit but definitely going to get out there. LOL
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion

I had an indoor bike but now space is a factor. My lungs don't allow for the work harder part. COPD came along about the time I retired so put an end to some of my "get up and go plans". However my new place is close to the waterfront and next to a river park so once our weather warms up I will hit the walking trail. Well maybe not hit but definitely going to get out there. LOL

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Glad that you live in a beautiful area to enjoy though!

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Other
    I'm going to reserve judgement on whether I'd get either TS5 or Paralives.

I've been following what they're doing with Paralives fairly closely. (The only way I could follow it more is to be a Patreon, which I can't afford.) I've not been particularly impressed with it so far. I do like the way you can push/pull things to make them fit (like the cabinets and like the wall hangings they posted about this week.) I also like the color wheel. But that's about it. And they haven't even gotten to how gameplay is going to work. I feel like they're over promising and it will be a very clunky game when (or if) it comes out. With all those "features", it's going to need a super computer to run it smoothly. And I don't like the fact that they're probably not going to have DLCs but try to incorporate everything at once. It's bad enough that TS EPs have some things I really want and some things I *don't* want. I certainly don't want to be stuck with things I don't like. (I get enough of that with the way they do Minecraft, which I also play.)

But then I keep seeing things about the possible TS5 that are worrisome too. I don't want to play "multiplayer." And I certainly don't want to deal with subscriptions. I'd rather pay once and done for something. But I've played "Sims" since SimCity first came out (on the Amiga). I'm not fond of "starting over" but I'll decide about that after TS5 has been around for a while (just like I stuck with TS3 until TS4 had been around for quite a while.)
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Other
    I’ll probably buy TS5, but not necessarily ‘whatever Maxis’ next AAA title is’. I currently have a wait-and-see outlook for Paralives. Sometimes indie games make great promises and don’t deliver. Sometimes The Sims does that too :D but I have a vested interest in The Sims, so I’ll no doubt get TS5 on sale at some point. Unless it turns out AMAZING somehow, in which case I’d pay full price. Not crossing my fingers though.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    I hope it will be a one-time purchase for Paralives, while it looks like EA will keep doing the same thing over and over again: releasing an incomplete game and pushing you to buy dumby DLCs. And I probably won't be able to afford them. In the worst case, I can purchase Paralives on sale.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • teamjenteamjen Posts: 50 Member
    I’m definitely buying paralives. I been keeping up with the team heavily and I LOVE what I see so far. I’m very optimistic about the game so if I buy and it turns out to be trash oh well I gave it shot. I would also buy sims 5 BUT it has to interest me.
    edited March 2021
    I have a couple of questions about their latest tweet showing what can be done with pillows and picture frames. First I wonder can their Para people sit on that window seat or whatever it is? We don't know. I mean without any clipping into those pillows. That would be important.

Second, no one ever mentions the actual trailers they release and how the shadows pass by as they start to show us what they have been doing.

Is that real in their game? Watch it just for the immersion of seeing time move on as the shadows pass by on the wall inferring there is a physics system to simulate time of day as shadows go by...is that real or is that just CGI or something simply for a demonstration and not actually part of the game? I think about stuff like that. (It's what's on my mind today).

Third, it says upload your own images? Does that mean players can have a custom folder for their own images to be in the game? No more making a Sim paint what we wanted hanging on the walls (TS2) or no more having to use a third party tool to build our own paintings as custom content to hang on the walls? I didn't understand which way they are going or do they mean upload somewhere else? lol

Fourth, is that room real? lol Look at the chairs, they are setting at angles, is that just placed that way for demonstration, and or is that also part of the game, where things don't have to fit perfectly straight under a dining table etc. and a character still be able to use it. Those little things would be interesting (The four things I mentioned) if we could get more answers, if is that all real or just a trailer depicting things are possible with pillows and frames but everything else seen is just fluff and not real for the purpose of a demonstration. Look at the book, it's not straight on the table, either. I wonder if those things are possible in their game or not because that's pretty amazing for a little Indie game being funded by the community.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other
    Sakia90 wrote: »
    As soon as Paradox Tectonic announces that they're working on a life sim...I most likely won't bother with Sims 5. Why? Because it's not sounding good and I don't trust EA/Maxis to make a good Sims game ever again. They don't make life sims anymore, just dollhouse and build simulator.

I may give Paralives a chance though, depending on the gameplay.

I agree. I'm very interested in seeing what Paradox has in the works, and hope they finally get around to telling us about it soon. They've had a couple of misses, but for the most part, they make really good games with lots of deep strategy.

If Paralives ever shows up on something other than Steam, I might buy it just to support independent developers. But I still haven't seen any actual gameplay.
    edited March 2021
    SimSpock wrote: »
    As soon as Paradox Tectonic announces that they're working on a life sim...I most likely won't bother with Sims 5. Why? Because it's not sounding good and I don't trust EA/Maxis to make a good Sims game ever again. They don't make life sims anymore, just dollhouse and build simulator.

I agree. I'm very interested in seeing what Paradox has in the works, and hope they finally get around to telling us about it soon. They've had a couple of misses, but for the most part, they make really good games with lots of deep strategy.

If Paralives ever shows up on something other than Steam, I might buy it just to support independent developers. But I still haven't seen any actual gameplay.

Their timeline shows they are just now getting into gameplay and path finding for the Parafolks etc. after all the work they have been doing these past three years. I'm sorry to hear that Roxanne was dismissed because that one person had a deep insight into what traits and personalities could be like and the nuance of it all. Her answers about how she thought about those things seemed more in line with how many TS2 players think about personalities but on an even deeper level than TS2 was. I hate she won't be there to help mold all that.
    edited March 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    SimSpock wrote: »

Their timeline shows they are just now getting into gameplay and path finding for the Parafolks etc. after all the work they have been doing these past three years. I'm sorry to hear that Roxanne was dismissed because that one person had a deep insight into what traits and personalities could be like and the nuance of it all. Her answers about how she thought about those things seemed more in line with how many TS2 players think about personalities but on an even deeper level than TS2 was. I hate she won't be there to help mold all that.

She was quite mentally unstable and exhibited inappropriate behavior during work meetings and anger issues. I wouldn't want someone like that on my dev team either! There are plenty of other graphics artists who can do a better job obviously because there have been no other issues since. Also she removed her angry posts after being let go because even she realized how she was exposing her "crazy" side in public that would scare off any potential employers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top