Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you care about the "abuse" of virtual pets ?

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    With the bigger pets yes like the cats and dogs, but for object animals less so since I view them more like objects than a simulation of a real being and how I feel about babies too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    Yes I do! I know they're not real, but it still kinda "gets" me.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,876 Member
    edited March 2021
    I let one of my sims 2 households have a bird and let it out of the cage to fly around the house, and it glitched the house so badly that no one could go in and out of any doors, and eventually the household couldn't be played anymore. Who was abusing who?

• PriestessDreadfulPriestessDreadful Posts: 284 Member
    > @mightysprite said:
    > I let one of my sims 2 households have a bird and let it out of the cage to fly around the house, and it glitched the house so badly that no one could go in and out of any doors, and eventually the household couldn't be played anymore. Who was abusing who?

:D :D Classic.

I remember putting a cat up for adoption because my Sim (and their lifestyle) couldn't cope with it - also *I* couldn't cope with the constant meowing. It was a rescue and I didn 't realise it was a "vocal" one hahaa. I felt so guilty putting that cat back up for adoption.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    I thought maybe this thread was going to be about how unplayed households don't take care of their pets. I don't have any issues with pets in my played household and I don't own MFPs.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I don't think I can give a principled answer that applies to every situation. For the most part, idc what people do in video games and it's fantasy.

I mean, this is the game where sometimes people trap a sim in a room and start a fire. Or put them in a pool and remove the ladder. And it's not a bunch of horrible people doing it clearly, it's just regular people playing out a fantasy.

There are probably scenarios you could come up with where I'd be like... ok, yeah, that's a bit much. Like if a game was explicitly programming in graphic abuse or something, that's gonna look bad just with the consideration alone of people taking the time to program and test such a system, make art for it, etc., which could itself be traumatizing for them, depending on how graphic it is.

But a simulated system accidentally not being totally realistic in a vague way that could be perceived as abuse if it was real life. It's hard to imagine losing any sleep over that.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    edited March 2021
    It doesn't bother me that the rodents are gaged in Sims because my Sims take good care of them and they're happy. In real life I could never have pets that are gaged. Same with small aquariums. I can have an aquarium or fish bowl in Sims, but never in real life.

The rodents in Sims 4 also are quite adventurous, every now and then they launch their rocket ships and go to the space. They also have raves and go on all kinds of adventures and send postcards to their household members. One of my rodents apparently wrote a book because he got royalties and another one got in trouble with "Don Landgraab". :D
    I can say that Sims 4 rodents are much more free than many of my Sims themselves. The gage is just their home, they're free to go wherever they want.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Neglected rodents in game can develop Rabid Rodent Fever, and if they bite a sim they transmit it. It’s contagious so you have to quarantine the infected sim, you can get them treatment for it, but if they die from it their ghost is doomed to spend eternity in a gerbil 🐹 costume. Well eternity only if you decide not to edit them in CAS 😈.
    Ooh, I never knew all that. I would feel real mean neglecting poor Roger rodent but I may have to do it once.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    With Cats & Dogs, yes, I don't like sims to have cats or dogs if they can't take care of them properly and the pets don't have a large enough house or garden to run around in.

With the rodents from MFPS, I don't like them very much because they just bite my sims all the time, I only have one hamster in one save and I feed him and interact with him. I gave him a treat which makes so he doesn't die of old age but I never game him the treat which lowers his intelligence so that one day he might escape.

But he hasn't escaped yet, maybe he likes to stay where he is...
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Considering how much you can abuse Sims I think it's weird that the game won't let you abuse animals. Sims aren't real but at the same time neither are their pets, you know?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited March 2021
    @Kimmer

wow rodents can do all that I must pay more attention :)

I just wanted to clarify that despite any personal thoughts about this or any other topic re sims games I would not wish to lose player choice in the game at all as for me sims games are sandbox and should/hopefully always remain that way :)

@Pamtastic72

I might have to try the rabid rodent fever a go just for giggles as I am assuming the infected sim can go to hospital and be saved? While I have already stated I do not kill my sims ordinarily I don't mind my darker sims causing mayhem now and again to my pink and fluffy sims :)

@Loanet

Agreed but I think I would be less upset about losing the sim than the animal ;)

• GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Considering how much you can abuse Sims I think it's weird that the game won't let you abuse animals. Sims aren't real but at the same time neither are their pets, you know?

My thoughts exactly, and I also find it weird that Cats & Dogs didn't come with a "Hates Pets" trait, even though we have a "Hates Children" trait in the base game. I kind of wish there were more ways to abuse pets in the game, not because I would play like that under normal circumstances (I don't take pleasure in hurting sims whether they're humans or animals), but for machinima/storytelling purposes.
  • BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    I totally do (as the username checks out :D ). Even if I'm playing a horribly horrible serial killer + drug dealer with the infamous mod their cat lives nothing less than the rich twin of Garfield. Maybe because I like spoiling my cat irl and he's a Garfield too :D IDK about little pets though, don't have the pack but if they can be cosmonauts I'm buying it right away.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

My thoughts exactly, and I also find it weird that Cats & Dogs didn't come with a "Hates Pets" trait, even though we have a "Hates Children" trait in the base game. I kind of wish there were more ways to abuse pets in the game,.

Umm what kind of pet abuse is the game missing out on lol;;;
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    If I remember correctly, in TS1 cats and dogs could die in fires. I'm so glad that doesn't happen anymore. Although I do think it's unfortunate that small pets are tied to their habitats like babies in bassinets.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Not really. They're pixels. Not flesh and blood living creatures that are able to reciprocate emotion to you. Then again I rarely let my sims have pets since all they do is get sick and need a vet visit every other day. I'll save my love and affection for my own irl cat.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2021
    Neglected rodents in game can develop Rabid Rodent Fever, and if they bite a sim they transmit it. It’s contagious so you have to quarantine the infected sim, you can get them treatment for it, but if they die from it their ghost is doomed to spend eternity in a gerbil 🐹 costume. Well eternity only if you decide not to edit them in CAS 😈.
    Ooh, I never knew all that. I would feel real mean neglecting poor Roger rodent but I may have to do it once.

You have to be strong @elanorbreton because you have to let your rodent cage get really dirty, then your sim has to play with them while the rodent is angry to contract the disease then you have to decide not to treat the disease if they catch it and quarantine them away until they die. It’s cruelty to pixels on many levels. But, it’s one of my favorite deaths in the game. Because a giant gerbil ghost is impossible to resist.

Here’s a full guide @SPARKY1922 to Rabid Rodent Fever.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited March 2021
    I don't condone cruelty either virtually or in RL. I never choose the 'Yell At' option, even when my Sims' children full-on deserve a 'dressing down'. I have learned through experience that yelling, just like swearing, is the act of a lazy mind trying to express itself forcibly. It really is a useless practice as you almost never get anywhere with the Sim, person, or animal. Sometimes using a whisper or a more quiet attitude goes farther.

I haven't yet purchased the My First Pet pack. I've been thinking a lot about taking the plunge, as it were, but I am bothered by your complaints. I wanted small pets in my game. My Rock Star in Sims3 had a large bird, for instance. Personally, I love birds. I read somewhere that having pets in the game can cause problems regarding some of the mods I use, so I don't have pets. Plus having them takes up a slot in our already very limited households. Why? I did get my Sims' kids the large fish tank. But, alas, unlike the one in Sims 3, it's totally unnecessary to even feed them, let alone clean the tank. Face/palm. Somebody please tell me what is the point?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    The only pet I wouldn't have, if it existed in this game, would be a bird in a bird cage. I don't think its right.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Pamtastic72

Thanks for that link I will take a look at that. I mainly bought my first pet pack so my kiddos had small animals in the house if I wasn't playing cats/dogs with them and I do think it works well enough for that.

@GalacticGal

I love playing these sorts of animals in S3 including the way we can catch them even in the wild and make them our pets :) They can also escape though which is funny-)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I don't like any abuse.
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Lol, digital/not alive. You cannot hurt/abuse anything that is not real.
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    Well there's not feeding your dog so it runs away and then there's bragging on the internet about the cruelest things you've ever done to your sim's pets
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    What can I say, I care about my silly sims. Lol :D<3
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    for the way they are kept, yes I do, especially when it comes to smaller animals there is alot of misinformation out there to what they actually need.
    It's not like I worry about digital pets, but the further spreading of misinformation, which contributes to the abuse of real animals.

I mean everybody knows you have to feed your pet, so...people deliberately not doing it in game, I do not care about.

But if they make cages too small, have highly social pets live alone, use cages for pets who should never be held in cages, it's a different thing.
    Just imagine if CD came only with caged cats and dogs, or you'd have to bathe your cat or only feed dogs with chocolate...things like this I would mind very much.

This is why I would love bunnies in game but am also very afraid of it happening.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat