Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 Competitive Mode?

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
edited March 2022 in Off Topic Chat

New job listings.

In the listing they’ve mentioned a particularly interesting task regarding web services and “cheating prevention”:

Develop responsive, resilient, massively scalable, and globally available web services that support millions of players
Creatively blend security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating
In case you’re out of the loop
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    What? lol That might be over my head to break it down into regular speech. But what I gather this is a multiplayer game from all that mumbo jumbo stuff needed to maintain and support millions of players and online security and to prevent cheating on different levels. Bummer, the more I see about 'TS5' the less interested I am becoming.

This sort of cements the CEO stated The Sims is about competition, and now we see they want someone who can maintain creative ways to maintain security and preventing cheating...for the competitive side or gameplay....this is very disappointing.

It also hints this is not a life simulator because quite frankly how do you cheat at life, lol. Only in RPGs do you actually cheat anything.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2021
    I guess this hints that the sims5 (or whatever they are working on) will have some sort of online functionality where cheating could be an issue.

I'm not sure how this goes together with the direction that the sims4 have though. The sims4 is more of a sandbox than something that offers a challenge. This sounds more like the older games where it was more of a challenge to do things.

I hope that they will still offer a single-player version so I can enter motherlode whenever I want and mod the game to what I want.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited March 2021
    Sounds more like the competition mode would be something like trying to compete to survive sort of deal, like living life and trying to survive sort of thing, but in a life sim sort of deal such as... trying to keep your sim alive in the living sims world while your sim deals with life issues and such in that world or whatever, kinda like IRL, GTA Role Play does this sort of thing sort of but in a RP sort of fashion, if it is something like that; then I will support it. :)

Basically it could be a full life sim type of online game mode but I dunno, just my thought on it, I hope it is what I think it is.
    Also I still think sims 5 will still have single player.
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2021
    i'm not concerned about online gamemodes as long as the classic one is a choice, i just don't trust that ea will manage to do it right
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    And.... Paralives continues to look better and better.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    It honestly reads like an open-world game where you can be griefed by other players. I'm so confused lmao.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited March 2021
    We'll see what happens first. If it is like what I think it is; the griefers will be jailed in game. :)
    Edit: maybe it's not what I think it is, it could be a design challenge or something like that, like who can make the best houses or the best sims or the BEST SIM WORLD (I wish the sim world building competition was a thing LMAO), etc, but who knows.
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    It doesn't looks good 😔
    edited March 2021
    I don't like the direction because to me The Sims was never about who could do the best, was it? I'm not into people going around bragging they are the best builder because they won some competition, and or they create the best content whether that's body custom stuff or household and world stuff, it's just not The Sims. This divides the community, why EA and Maxis wants to divide us even more is beyond me. Unless they have figured out the next generation is into wanting to compete and be the best for bragging rights and lute.

Thinking The Sims was about competition just proves to me some people have no idea what the game was ever about or they wouldn't want competitions, either. There are dozens of MMOs etc. that can do that, why they want to keep changing The Sims to be like any other old game is very disappointing to many long time fans of the series. Let's just sit around and compare who is the best at everything so we can buy more to try to beat them next time. Wow, that sounds like a bad awful game, to me. EA/Maxis out of ideas taking the easy way out to build yet another game about competitions and or another RPG. They have 20 years of ideas from their base players...yet they want to go down an easier path to build just another old RPG game. Anybody can build RPGs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    "Develop responsive, resilient, massively scalable, and globally available web services that support millions of players"

They're pretty optimistic about how many simmers would actually want to be online, lol! It will be like SimCity Online all over again. I think I'm done with The Sims franchise. I don't like the direction the powers that be are taking it. I already knew about the article, but I didn't even care about posting it on here this time.

Stdlr9 wrote: »
    And.... Paralives continues to look better and better.

Yeah, I was looking at their website the other day. It may not be to my liking with the art style but it does look better than what we have learned from different job postings for 'TS5'.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    competive mode do not sound interesting and i do not see how this would fit in a sim game the more i read the more it push me away from sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    edited March 2021
    What they seem not to understand about The Sims these days is I am god to the Sims. If I give them extra money or remove a wall or and or pick up something and move it out of the way or whatever 'cheat' it may be...it's not cheating, I am their god, I do what I please. At least I could in all three other games without someone patching a skill/trait to tell me it was 'cheating' to have the skill/trait to start with :s ...maybe if it was a RPG but not in a sandbox, god game.

But to Maxis that's all cheating....their RPG mindset has just about destroyed sandbox and god gameplay in TS4 as it is let alone a new game that frowns on the player playing Their Way instead of EA/Maxis way. I think I am finally done with trying to convince them this is supposed to be my game to do with it what I will, not their way of playing or else.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I have a feeling, this will lead to the end of the franchise. Hopefully they don't pull TS3 off Origin like they did with TS2 after TS4 was out for a while.

Competition is not something I've ever been interested in, not in RL or in a game. I play the sims for a relaxing, fun experience to do what I want in my game, not to have my heart race in a "hurry up and get this task done within this amount of time" type thing. I won't even use the climbing function in SE because that's not fun and relaxing to me when it's a time event. I wanted to be able to take my sim on an adventure where they could camp and explore and enjoy the scenery rather than rush through it.

Definitely not for me, so yeah .... Paralives will probably be my next Life Sim game I purchase.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited March 2021
    Im so used to cheating and mods to customize my game that I do not think I could/want adjust to a new concept that puts everyone on the same footing. Just look at the dust kit, such a small feature, but three modders offer their own tweaks for it (I downloaded four of zero's ten).

Competitive play isn't my cup of tea. It ends either in feeling sad because I lost, or in feeling bad because I won and took the price from a player who maybe wanted it more than I did. Rivalry between my sims - any day! Competition with other players, no thanks.
  • Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,032 Member
    It honestly reads like an open-world game where you can be griefed by other players. I'm so confused lmao.

That's GTA online in a nutshell!
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    This is useful information. I can now remove TS5 from my radar, because it holds no interest for me.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Competitive playing? Did they learn nothing from the flop that is Sims Sparkd? Stop trying to be a different game. Its losing its audience.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    we don't know its sims 5 it could be another game sims online 2
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2021
    Geez, it's like EA knows exactly what the fanbase wants but purposely seeks the exact opposite every time.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I feel like most of these "rumors" are very much a stretch used for shock factor and clickbait. Same as how last time they claimed 5 was going to be a subscription service because of a job listing which was actually most likely talking about EA play. I'm not believing anything until it's announced.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Snore, zzz
    edited March 2021
    There is also the possibility the competitions(whatever) could be timed. Two weeks etc. to get this or that. A time limit on the reward. I really dislike those type of games. I sit down at my pc to go into my own world of imagination, I really can't stand FB games, microtransactions, timed events, tablet/android games, mobile games of repetitive redundancy, etc. What did they not learn these past twenty years. Yes, there is a market for mobile type gameplay, but is that really the niche they want as a fanbase, who may or may not buy every DLC or microtransaction they offer and or use the features would equal loss of projected income. Go ahead Maxis build your MMO, Mobile type gameplay, but you are going to lose a huge audience to capture a new one. You are special because you were different, you are no longer special if you become just like everyone else...Maxis.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    What they seem not to understand about The Sims these days is I am god to the Sims. If I give them extra money or remove a wall or and or pick up something and move it out of the way or whatever 'cheat' it may be...it's not cheating, I am their god, I do what I please. At least I could in all three other games without someone patching a skill/trait to tell me it was 'cheating' to have the skill/trait to start with :s ...maybe if it was a RPG but not in a sandbox, god game.

But to Maxis that's all cheating....their RPG mindset has just about destroyed sandbox and god gameplay in TS4 as it is let alone a new game that frowns on the player playing Their Way instead of EA/Maxis way. I think I am finally done with trying to convince them this is supposed to be my game to do with it what I will, not their way of playing or else.

I am pleased you wrote this info I was struggling to understand what they meant by cheating and could not possibly imagine it actually meant the usual cheats we have all been used to throughout several series of the game but now i read that's probably exactly what they mean it's beginning to remind me of some sort of object driven game which i don't want. As you say I am the god of my sims and even though we do have challenges in the game they can be ignored by the player who chooses when/what/how they want to play which to me was always the uniqueness of the sims games so if I cannot play how I want to I will just rely on previous iterations of the game to get my fix or maybe paralives might become a better option in time.

I have already stated on @Cinebar,s poll thread that i would buy paralives as soon as it comes out because I would like to see immediately what the differences are and how the company responds to pack release bugs (if there are any) and community input on the game itself to see if they are listening ..
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Sorry, but the Sims is not about competition, whether between sims or players. It's about making little 'people', their world, and them living their little electronic lives. It's about creativity and story-telling. EA has enough competition with their many war and sports (socially acceptable war) titles. We don't need it here!