Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A new pack type, the "Kit" is coming. Aka "Sims 3 store, 5 bucks for two chairs" is here

1101112131416...Next

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    The Bayside kitchen was $11.75. That's my favorite Sims 3 kitchen set.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The Bayside kitchen was $11.75. That's my favorite Sims 3 kitchen set.

That sounds horrendously overpriced.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    That's one of the reasons I never liked the Sims 3 Stores.
  • luvalphvleluvalphvle Posts: 1,545 Member
    What they did was break up a game pack into three "kits" and charged 50% more for all the content.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2021
    luvalphvle wrote: »
    What they did was break up a game pack into three "kits" and charged 50% more for all the content.
    It's more like a Stuff Pack divided into 3. Someone ran the numbers:
    • Paranormal had 39 Buy/Build items, 32 CAS assets, a new career with multiple levels of difficulty, a new skill, Bonehilda and tons of other details. $10.
    • Nifty Knitting had 41 CAS assets and 24 Buy/Build items, NOT counting all of the potential items you can unlock. It also comes with a skill and an aspiration. $10.
    • Altogether, the kits bring in 20 items, 23 CAS items, two Aspirations, dust bunnies and the cleaning mechanic. $5 each, or $15 altogether.

I wouldn't put too-too much stock into this though, since I don't know all the details around Bust the Dust and it could be really hefty. But yeah, it's not looking good. Especially if you live in Canada, where two packs would cost a little more than one Stuff Pack.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    It's more like a Stuff Pack divided into 3. Someone ran the numbers:
    • Paranormal had 39 Buy/Build items, 32 CAS assets, a new career with multiple levels of difficulty, a new skill, Bonehilda and tons of other details. $10.
    • Nifty Knitting had 41 CAS assets and 24 Buy/Build items, NOT counting all of the potential items you can unlock. It also comes with a skill and an aspiration. $10.
    • Altogether, the kits bring in 20 items, 23 CAS items, two Aspirations, dust bunnies and the cleaning mechanic. $5 each, or $15 altogether.

I wouldn't put too-too much stock into this though, since I don't know all the details around Bust the Dust and it could be really hefty. But yeah, it's not looking good.

It's a smaller stuff pack divided into three kits (they are not even trying to hide it with one kit being gameplay, one build/buy and one CAS). With the current pricing where we are paying for $5 each we are paying $15 for a stuff pack. If these three kits would have been a stuff pack people would probably have thought it was a bit small. But now we are paying more for less.

When it comes to pricing, I don't see anything positive with this, so it's more a matter if you want to pay more to get more niche content. But I won't be surprised if they will stop making stuff packs if these kits will sell a lot.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited March 2021
    calaprfy wrote: »
    melsim wrote: »
    So its confirmed, 5 usd for kits

So as usual, us Brits are being ripped off.

So are the Aussies. :-/ Not sure what the UK prices are, but the prices in the AUD is $7.95, which they may as well just say it's $8.00 instead of trying to make it appear cheaper by rounding down five cents. Lol.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    logion wrote: »

When it comes to pricing, I don't see anything positive with this, so it's more a matter if you want to pay more to get more niche content. But I won't be surprised if they will stop making stuff packs if these kits will sell a lot.

It was confirmed by Frost that these are not replacing, nor effecting pack release schedules.

They are also not going to release 3 at a time but just one at a time. The 3 released were just to showcase the varieties and versatilities.

These are also not add-ons to other packs, but each will have it's own theme.

These will not affect free base-game updates

Someone asked about World Kits, he stated they are still exploring the possibilities.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Welcome to the magic of microtransactions. Thinking you are spending less dividing content thin in reality you are spending more in the long run. It feeds the short term happiness feeling.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Welcome to the magic of microtransactions. Thinking you are spending less dividing content thin in reality you are spending more in the long run. It feeds the short term happiness feeling.

To be fair here this is sometimes a fallacy. For people with a low income, it might be impossible to save up enough money to buy something expensive. Hence Health Insurance. For example.

BUT it is very much true that if you can afford it, paying up front for something is usually cheaper.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2021
    As I expected the kits cost 5 euro. This is too much for me, compare to the rest we get. If they would take around 2,50 Euro, maybe then, I would have started to think about to buy at least the kitchen stuff, I'm not interested in the rest. So I stay rather with my no.

But I have to admit I had the most fun with tiny houses (still using it a lot of my time), nifty knitting and the paranormal stuff pack. I think the quality of them is very much better than the first stuffpacks and better than latest ep and gp imho. Maybe one day the quality of the kit pack may be worth the expensive price. Until then I wait and see and check the forum.
    edited March 2021

It was confirmed by Frost that these are not replacing, nor effecting pack release schedules.

They are also not going to release 3 at a time but just one at a time. The 3 released were just to showcase the varieties and versatilities.

Someone asked about World Kits, he stated they are still exploring the possibilities.

Unless they hire more people, kits will take development time away from making other packs and three kits have more or less the same amount of content like a stuff pack but costs more so if they will sell well EA are going to want them to make more kits to maximize profit. That's why I believe this is what will happen.

But we will see.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

Unless they hire more people, kits will take development time away from making other packs and three kits have more or less the same amount of content like a stuff pack but costs more so if they will sell well EA are going to want them to make more kits to maximize profit. That's why I believe this is what will happen.

But we will see.

It's late enough that my tired brain can't recall if it was on a tweet or a comment on the livestream, but either SimGuruFrost or SimGuruNinja said Kits have their own team, separate from EP/GP/SP and Base Game Development teams.

Maybe they restructured, maybe they hired, maybe it was a mix of both (most likely the last)
    edited March 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

But we will see.

It's late enough that my tired brain can't recall if it was on a tweet or a comment on the livestream, but either SimGuruFrost or SimGuruNinja said Kits have their own team, separate from EP/GP/SP and Base Game Development teams.

Maybe they restructured, maybe they hired, maybe it was a mix of both (most likely the last)

For anyone who has bought the kits it should be easy enough to check that by looking at the credits in the game menu, all packs have credits I assume that kits do too... it was probably a mix of both.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    Checked the items in comparison to Paranormal, and you get a lot less items in both the clothing and furniture packs.

Paranormal adds 32 clothing items, Fit Kit adds 23
    Paranormal also adds 39 furniture items, Country Kitchen adds 15.

So in total you're getting 71 items from Paranormal for 10$, and 38 items from the Kits for 10$. That's almost twice as much for the same price. And to top that off with Paranormal you also get a pretty in depth gameplay system included in your 10 bucks. But if you want any gameplay with your kits, well that's gonna be an extra 5 bucks which makes it cost almost as much as an expansion on sale.

Even if you compare with some of the weaker packs kits are still more expensive. Romantic Garden adds 51 items, Fitness Stuff adds 50 items, Perfect Patio adds 42. So essentially, you're getting less for your money with item kits than with every stuff pack in the game, even the most lacklustre ones.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I bought the Bust the Dust and i'm looking forward for more gameplay kits. I think this one added a fair amount of gameplay for the price. I'm satisfied.

But i do agree that the cas and bb kits are way overpriced. I thought i was going to buy the cas one but i couldn't justify spending that much in a few clothing items, so i didn't buy it...
  • MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I never bought anything from the Sims 2 or 3 store because I was satisfied with what I got in the packs. It’s kind of ironic because now I’m rarely satisfied with the packs in Sims 4 but I don’t see anything appealing in the kits just yet.

This basically. TS2 packs were so good, and while TS3 would run like an asthmatic 90-year old, the gameplay is just so much fun. Nowadays I get a pack, I play it for about 1-2 hours and I never touch any of the gameplay again because it's either a) extremely repetitive b) extremely easy to game or c) extremely buggy. I probably got the most use out of Eco Lifestyle, and that too fell mostly into b & c category.

Remember when for 60 bucks in TS2 you got retail shops & ownable busssinesses like gyms, home bussinesses, restaurants, servos, flower arranging, toy making, robotics , a rating system & a whole new premade world. Good times. I miss having absurd bussinesses like flowershop-gyms. Running a hybrid bussiness was always my jam.

But no. Instead we have all retail types assigned their own lot types just purely so we can be sold each and every one of them individually through packs. Sigh.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2021
    MTS_GargoyleCat-1995804-ithappens.jpg
    MTS_GargoyleCat-1995970-eatrolls.jpg
    This stuff just happens. Overpriced? It happens. The players are just inconsiderate. Am I right or wrong? (Btw, this tweets are legit). For whatever reason, they delete them.

God forbid this comment gets deleted by moderators because I'm sharing a tweet what their response is. Will there be a rule to that exception. I don't know.
    NNpYlHF.jpg