Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Kits Backlash incoming

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited March 2021
    It's been considered predatory/gambling for awhile now, that's why I would never play/support games that even allow that within it. I don't care how great the game is or how much free stuff they give you, it's really shady practice and they actively encourage people (mostly young children) to spend real life money on it, otherwise it wouldn't even exist. Here, spend real life money and MAYBE get the thing you want, like what??? It's so gross just even saying it out-loud lol.

I have problems with microtransactions in general for the same reason. I mean, it's maybe not as bad as gambling on getting anything you want at all, but if there's no limit to what you can spend, that's really bad. Some games do this through things like XP boosters, so there is always something you can spend more money on.

I gave this game somewhat of a pass on the idea that the worst of its DLC is at least $10, which is a fairly high/clear price on what you're spending. And there aren't a huge amount of packs released all the time. (Like some games release new microtransactions every month.)

But it's hard to keep giving it any kind of pass on it at all, given the kit packs. For me, it's not just about kit packs being too costly for what they provide. I'd still be concerned if they were like $2.50 or something. Because it's too small of a purchase and it seems like they're gonna put them out too regularly.

Systems like that are specifically designed to prey on it being harder to keep track of what you're spending. 1 purchase for $10 might seem like a lot, but 2 purchases for $5 doesn't necessarily register the same. Part of how sales periods work. "Oh there's so much on sale." And then you buy so much that it adds up to being a lot anyway.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2021
    Looks like Carl has also had enough. This may be his nail in the coffin. LGR had reached his limit ages ago lol

Screenshot-2021-03-07-11-39-46-1.png

Im also in this boat. Proud Castaway 😤😤😤 lol ;;;;

wow carl the guy that does almost nothing but complain about sims 4 on youtube is complaining
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Looks like Carl has also had enough. This may be his nail in the coffin. LGR had reached his limit ages ago lol

wow carl the guy that does almost nothing but complain about sims 4 on youtube is complaining

I dont think his content was always like that it used to be positive or neutral, i think it changed the last 2 years or so
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Journey to Batuu broke LGR, and Kits broke Carl. It's just so sad. I am glad people with big platforms are finally speaking up. James also criticized "Bust the Dust" for being a buggy mess. One can hope more people speak up and we can get The Sims Team to finally listen and start playtesting content more before releasing it.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Yeah, but some of his written guides had incorrect or incomplete information that hasn't been corrected. I had a feeling that he was relying on other players for information for his guides. It wasn't always complete. I stopped using his written guides when the ads on the web page got to be as bad as the massive amount of ads at TSR. I stopped watching his YouTube videos a long time ago when it became apparent, to me, that he was doing them for the money instead of accurate content. Plus the complaining was annoying.

I guess there's money to made with the other game he plans to "review." There are already two other YouTubers doing this when they're not busy complaining about all things Sims 4.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Monaveil wrote: »
    I guess there's money to made with the other game he plans to "review." There are already two other YouTubers doing this when they're not busy complaining about all things Sims 4.

Why are you so upset by the fact he criticizes The Sims 4?

He's not attacking anyone personally. He has the right to voice his opinion. Why do you want to silence criticism?
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Not that it matters, but The Sims account actually apologized for having posted the gif under the wrong comment.

eelGbPj.jpg

I don't believe that for one second, someone got cocky enough and left that as a snide remark to the sims community. It was only removed cause they knew sooner or later they would catch hell for it but weren't quick enough to delete it or left it there long enough for us to actually see it hinting at how they really felt about some of us not being ecstatic about they these half a stuff pack kits.
    giphy.gif

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2021

Carl have made sims guides as far back as the sims3 as far as I can recall:

https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/

And when he got into Youtube I felt that his videos had very constructive criticism, not a lot of complaining.

I mean... he is someone who has made guides on the sims since forever, so I think it's pretty big that he is giving up on this franchise.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    I introduced myself to the franchise 8 years ago when I got The Sims 3 Base game bundle. That game was pretty overwhelming at the start since I had absolutely zero idea about how sims games worked, plus the open world feature was certainly one to get used to.

I must say that Carl’s Sims guides have helped me get through a huge amount of in-game challenges when I was stuck. He’s been a great asset to the sims community and although I’ve only seen 1 or 2 of his YT reviews, I for one can only give him all the credit he deserves.

Times change and when we be begin to feel out of touch with something we used to be passionate about, it’s often best to take a fresh direction and move on.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2021
    At first I was really confused about why they made kits. The more I think about it, the more things don't add up. At first it seemed obvious that kits would be half price because they have half the content of a stuff pack. But the more I think about, this isn't true. What does a stuff pack contain? Clothes, hero item/ gameplay and clutter. What do kits contain? One just has clothes, one has furniture and one has 2 version a vacuum with a smattering of gameplay. I don't think a lot of people don't realize that you're basically paying for more instead of what you get with a stuff pack. Because now if you brought all three of the packs, you've made a stuff pack for $15. And keep in mind that vacuum pack contains re-meshes of the same item. I don't hate them but I won't support them.
    Post edited by Nekia33painter on
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited March 2021
    I believe Kits are a result of this Pandemic and many Maxis employees having to work from home. Making a small kit would be something they could do by themselves without continually having to go to meetings for discussions but just combining with the animation sections and those making sure they don't break the game. The kitchen kit looks to be made with a lot of love and attention to detail which one person would give to something they were proud of. I'm enjoying using it.

I just think they needed a bit more games testing before they were released. :)
    logion wrote: »

And when he got into Youtube I felt that his videos had very constructive criticism, not a lot of complaining.

I mean... he is someone who has made guides on the sims since forever, so I think it's pretty big that he is giving up on this franchise.

If he is jumping ship to Paralives he might come a cropper as they say. I expect his site will always be used to check up on Sims 3 and Sims4 but his influence and income depends on them surviving and it will wane if he's not careful in what he backs next.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

If he is jumping ship to Paralives he might come a cropper as they say. I expect his site will always be used to check up on Sims 3 and Sims4 but his influence and income depends on them surviving and it will wane if he's not careful in what he backs next.

He has said that he will make a video where he will explain more what he intends to do. He has a patreon after all so I don't think he will stop covering the sims 4, but he will probably cover it less.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2021

I wasn't talking about carls guides they were good and still are but almost all of his youtube is complaining so
    I can't really think much of it when he complains on twitter which he has every right to do but its not at all new for him
    at this point @logion
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Carl wrote some of the best guides all throughout The Sims 3 through now, with The Sims 4. His site is very well-made and maintained. I don't think it's appropriate to just declare all he does is complain when he has proven his knowledge of these games very well through his site, while also giving back to the community writing wonderful tutorials.

I think we're just seeing a pattern here created by The Sims 4. I think 7 years is long enough to spot it.
    He has one of the best Stardew Valley guides too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Times change and when we be begin to feel out of touch with something we used to be passionate about, it’s often best to take a fresh direction and move on.

I find this sentiment to be overtly patronizing, especially in the context of this post.

No one complaining about excessive monetization is “out of touch” and twisting it that way is incredibly “out of touch”. You might as well just say shut up and go away since that’s the message behind your thinly veiled positivity. I don’t understand why some simmers think they are important enough to tell someone else what they should do with their time or money. It has zero effect on you, even when they complain you can still view the preview videos, buy whatever, and enjoy whatever.
    edited March 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Carl wrote some of the best guides all throughout The Sims 3 through now, with The Sims 4. His site is very well-made and maintained. I don't think it's appropriate to just declare all he does is complain when he has proven his knowledge of these games very well through his site, while also giving back to the community writing wonderful tutorials.

I think we're just seeing a pattern here created by The Sims 4. I think 7 years is long enough to spot it.
    He has one of the best Stardew Valley guides too.

The problem with guides generally that they all need to be kept up to date and that must be difficult when new expansions and game packs come out, as the new interactions with the old get left out of those that have come out on previous packs. His Forums are useful for new stuff found out.

If Carl brought out an online or published book combining all the packs after the game is finished with I would buy it, provided that all ends and interactions were covered by it. It would be a very big book though! :)

I do miss the old Prima manuals, even though they weren't complete in all cases. :(
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I think Carl has been around since sims 2. He had a userstartup.cheat example that I used to make my own. He also had great tutorials on how to make half-landing stairs and how to use the constrain floor elevation cheat.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Carl has one of my favourites go-to sites concerning the sims games. I will always come back to his site.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Haven't been on the game in a while but I have been checking the forums to see what's new. I like the kits and think they are reasonably priced as well.

Granted I havent bought any of them yet, but that's because I'm not playing the game right now. When I do return to the game I will be getting the kitchen kit. Not sure about the others. Not that I dont think they're not good because I do like them, I just dont know if I want the dust bunnies taking control of my game and I think that we have enough fitness attire in game already.

I am looking forward to seeing what else they push out as far as kits. For now just waiting to see what the next EP will be.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I don't like particularly like or hate the kits, but regardless of which side of the issue you're on, it's hard to deny EA is milking every drop out of the game that they can. They know darn well they have the entire fandom wrapped around their fingers. Why wouldn't they?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I get that Kits will be divisive and neither "side" is in the wrong. My take:

1- This is not a case of the Sims franchise hitting new lows. The Sims 2 had a highly expensive store at the end. Throughout it's run the Sims 3 store existed. Very expensive, thematic DLC ran month by month (to memory the farming theme and a Child's playground come to mind) and some themes "complimented" features that already existed in EPs.

2- The Sims Team have publicly said that Kits will run as an "as well as" over an "instead of". I don't see a single EP/GP which a dust system would have been a valid feature to include. It's still too early to debate this....maybe they'll come out with an Aliens/Mermaids Kit which in that case we as consumers need to address that.

3- I fully appreciate extra costs for gamers is frustrating. But I don't think it's fair to put that solely on EA/Maxis. Gaming Companies do this across the board these days. We should be debating where DLC is coming in the form of things that are "missing" from the base game, not arguing over whether there should be DLC in the first place.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited March 2021
    chickenow wrote: »
    I get that Kits will be divisive and neither "side" is in the wrong. My take:

1- This is not a case of the Sims franchise hitting new lows. The Sims 2 had a highly expensive store at the end. Throughout it's run the Sims 3 store existed. Very expensive, thematic DLC ran month by month (to memory the farming theme and a Child's playground come to mind) and some themes "complimented" features that already existed in EPs.

@chickenow I think the hitting "new lows" statement is because the game already has expansions, game packs, stuff packs and now Kits as well. For the first time ever we have 4 types of DLC and for the first time ever we have 40 pieces of DLC.
    chickenow wrote: »

3-Gaming Companies do this across the board these days. We should be debating where DLC is coming in the form of things that are "missing" from the base game, not arguing over whether there should be DLC in the first place.

I also don't that because someone else might do it in the gaming industry, that it makes it somehow better. It's still milking the game to me, no matter if EA is doing it or Bethesda or Rockstar. The practice is the same.

But I have to also say there are not a lot of games with 40 pieces of so expensive DLC out there. There are some but not as many as one might think, this is why the Sims has a reputation of being extremely milked and overly expensive
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?