Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing Sims 2 from Origin...for Win10

ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
Hi Simmers! I was wondering for those of you who could help me out I am transitioning to my new computer that has Windows 10 and I want to install Sims 2 on it but when I google this there are so many "tutorials" on how to make the game work. I also find news that Sims 2 was updated to work for Windows 10 in 2018... so my question is, can I just download and install Sims 2 as it is currently from Origin and should I be all set?

Sims 2 is important to me as I lost the ability to play it like so many other Simmers back in early 2009, shortly after M&G Stuff came out. I don't even recall using that pack until the game was delivered on Origin back in 2014 to keep the simmers calm for what was to come haha. That all said, I spent the last few years really enjoying Sims 2 and would like to continue to do so. I think theres something to be said about Sims saves with years and years of work and effort in them they make the game so special.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm feeling like I should be able to just download and it should work!

Comments

• momshavingfunmomshavingfun Posts: 11 New Member
    https://simscommunity.info/2016/04/27/the-sims-2-setting-up-the-resolution-windowed-mode-smooth-edges-sim-shadows/

I had to: Improve the Resolution
    and
    Scroll down to Black Shadow Fix written out - I did not use a program for that. Just changed the line.

I am having issues starting the game since an Origin update yesterday. They claim to have no issues but I cannot get the game to run. Very frustrated. I really wish they would just let us continue to play offline they are not servicing the game at all - I did buy all of the games was not a freebie for me.

Good luck - It was running really well before yesterdays update.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited February 2021
    https://simscommunity.info/2016/04/27/the-sims-2-setting-up-the-resolution-windowed-mode-smooth-edges-sim-shadows/

and
    Scroll down to Black Shadow Fix written out - I did not use a program for that. Just changed the line.

I am having issues starting the game since an Origin update yesterday. They claim to have no issues but I cannot get the game to run. Very frustrated. I really wish they would just let us continue to play offline they are not servicing the game at all - I did buy all of the games was not a freebie for me.

Hi :)
    I'm just asking if you deleted the Groups.cache file in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection folder? It can stop the game from starting.
    I also delete the Tumbnails folder and pretty much anything that isn't the DESKTOP config lot.txt (keep that) in the Logs folder~ Just to clear out some of the old crash reports.

**I updated Origin and my TS2UC is running fine.
  • SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member

and

Last night I couldn't get Origin to open or my Sims 2 game to run either. I uninstalled Origin then reinstalled it and was finally able to get my game running - but it keeps freezing on me.
  • KnavesKnaves Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, can someone help me :smile:

Earlier today i spoke to an EA chat agent, and she told me to contact you here to help me get to the option to buy Sims 2. I am a huge Sims 2 fan but there is simply no option for me to buy the game. I have a subscription for EA Play for almost two years now, I bought many games on the Origin, but i can't buy Sims 2.

EA chat agent told me to post my problem here, maybe you can help me to buy game, send me code, of course I will buy it just need a option to buy the game, please help me :smile:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    TS2UC was never for sale on Origin. If you had a code and registered your game years ago with EA, people were offered the entire game for free in 2014. EA is no longer supporting the download of this game if you never had a code and registered it with EA when it was current. There is no more support for TS2 that completely ended a few years ago. Sorry, the only thing I know for anyone to do is buy the cds again and make sure to patch each one separately (because new EPs do not patch earlier EPs etc in TS2). Good luck.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

and

Last night I couldn't get Origin to open or my Sims 2 game to run either. I uninstalled Origin then reinstalled it and was finally able to get my game running - but it keeps freezing on me.

Do not load Origin to play the TS2UC. Ever. Use the short cut on your desktop to load TS2UC. Yes, the Origin sign in will pop up but don't open Origin first and play it through the downloader. Also make sure you have turned off (in Origin settings) to stop it from running inside the game. I can't remember where that is, but it's inside Origin settings and turn off auto patching.

Even with Origin you still have to use the Graphic Rule Maker to make sure the game sees your video card and processors so it can set what your card is capable of doing. It may be freezing because the old game doesn't understand what a new video card can and can't do, so the old game will always set your settings to the very lowest if it doesn't know it's name or if you don't set it can do more etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KnavesKnaves Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Cinebar said:
    > TS2UC was never for sale on Origin. If you had a code and registered your game years ago with EA, people were offered the entire game for free in 2014. EA is no longer supporting the download of this game if you never had a code and registered it with EA when it was current. There is no more support for TS2 that completely ended a few years ago. Sorry, the only thing I know for anyone to do is buy the cds again and make sure to patch each one separately (because new EPs do not patch earlier EPs etc in TS2). Good luck.

Thanks for answer :)

It's a bit confusing still. Why would EA chat agent tell me to come here and ask for help? So there is no chance for me to get the Sims 2 code? I will gladly pay of course, I am not asking for a free code :)
    Because EA support has always said that when they don't know the answer to something.