Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims can't fish in ocean

IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
My current CAW project is an edit of Sunset Valley. I've exported and play tested it more than once, and it worked fine in pretty much all respects. But I want to place dive lots in it, and had to erase all of the non-routable paint under the ocean to get rid of the camera non-routable paint that prevented me from being able to access the dive lots. I re-painted all of the sims non-routable paint under the ocean, but when I exported it and tried it out again, the sims could not use any of the ocean fish spawners. When I assigned them to fish from any of them, they just did the "can't go there" animation.

I took it back into CAW and erased all of the non-routable paint under the ocean again, thinking that I might have painted it too close to the shore. This time I only painted a wide swath of sims and camera non-routable paint at the border between the world and the distant terrain. I've exported it again, and my sims still can't use the fishing spots in the ocean.

Can someone please suggest how I can fix this?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited March 2021
    Um, would be helpful if you showed some screenshots of the area. But my best guess would be that the routing is not correct in those areas.

In CAW, if you click "view", "show routing data" and check those areas you may find that the edge of the ocean is just not accessible.

https://imgur.com/Gdsz8Ua

So where the red/blue lines are going into the water, a sim should be able to fish there. I'm assuming as I'm no expert with CAW. You don't need to use any non routable paint under the water unless you don't want the sim to go there. (the world I'm showing has not been tested)
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited March 2021
    Sorry, I should have thought of that. Here's a screenshot:

h9uPicZ.jpg

My test sim cannot access the fishing spots, but from the same location where she was doing the routing fail animations, she was able to walk into the ocean and go swimming.

Edit: I should probably add, I always rebuild the routing data before saving my world for export.
    edited March 2021
    Maybe the spawns are out too far??? I would try moving them in a bit closer and see if that helps. Also...sims cannot route through those pylons so the spawns near those are not accessible. You may notice, when looking at your routing data, a red square around that object. That's it's footprint and every object has one. No sim can walk through it. Perhaps, too, there is not enough room in front of that lot to access that one spawn. I don't recall if sims can fish while standing IN the water?

Example: notice there is no blue routing paint but it's blocked off.
    https://imgur.com/a/DL0CXBn
    (FYI - the game automatically rebuilds the data when you save, you don't have to manually do it ; )
    Thank you. I wondered if they could be too far out, but the thing is, as I mentioned already, this project is an edit of Sunset Valley. I did not move anything in that screenshot from where it already was. It works in SV, and it worked in my earlier exports, before I erased the non-routable paint from the ocean floor. That was the only thing that changed, except for some seashell spawners I placed along the shore. It still doesn't make any sense, but I'm going to try moving the spawners in closer. Maybe I'll remove the seashell spawners too, and see if that makes any difference. I don't see how it could, but who knows?
    I tried moving a those four spawners in a little closer to shore, and they worked. But when I erased the non-routable paint under the ocean and painted it around the edges of the world, I had lowered the water level to the lowest point so I could see what I was doing, then raised it up again. It occurred to me that I might have raised it a little too high. So I went back to the previous CAW save and lowered it just a little, without moving the spawners. Now all of the ocean spawners are accessible.
    Wonderful! I wondered if you had fixed it. I've accidently hit that water level button and screwed things up big time. I hate that button, wish it was in a different location. Glad you got it to work!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top