Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA, why don't you like Europe so much?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    We have those type of cleaners in America, too. It's just that with newer technology in how to circulate the dirt and clean it up uprights are better and easier to use with today's technology. There are whole industries dedicated to improving cleaners to where the cleaning is simple and less bulky and lighter weight and more powerful. It has nothing to do with disliking European cleaners. It's about the technology since those cleaners you posted are out of date here, with the improvements that have been made in these machines. Almost as out of style as newspapers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    Don't forget the American perception of Transylvania.

Ha! Thank you! As a romanian, I must say there are no vampires in our mythology.

They can't represent all countries and all cultures in the game and I don't think they should even try. Also, it's a fantasy game and representing a culture to the letter might actually ruin it. I want to play a fun game, not an antropology simulation. I, personally, do not feel the need to be represented in the game. Sure, it would be cool to see a bit of Eastern European inspired packs, but I don't feel that they are missing.

No folklore about the undead? I didn't know that since I watch a lot of documentaries of where folklore comes from and it was all about the old beliefs from your area of the world about those ancient practices of burying people in odd ways. I wonder why any of us think there is ancient folklore from your country when we see it in documentaries showing the text of your country in the history of your books.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Ha! Thank you! As a romanian, I must say there are no vampires in our mythology.

They can't represent all countries and all cultures in the game and I don't think they should even try. Also, it's a fantasy game and representing a culture to the letter might actually ruin it. I want to play a fun game, not an antropology simulation. I, personally, do not feel the need to be represented in the game. Sure, it would be cool to see a bit of Eastern European inspired packs, but I don't feel that they are missing.

No folklore about the undead? I didn't know that since I watch a lot of documentaries of where folklore comes from and it was all about the old beliefs from your area of the world about those ancient practices of burying people in odd ways. I wonder why any of us think there is ancient folklore from your country when we see it in documentaries showing the text of your country in the history of your books.

I'm not sure exactly where vampire folklore came from but Bram Stoker's inspiration for Dracula comes from a small fishing town in the UK called Whitby in North Yorkshire. There is a lot of vampire/wiccan themed stuff in the town for this reason. Although I think the story of Dracula is in Transylvania but that was never the initial inspiration place for the story. Sorry I know this is off topic to the thread.
  • Options
    pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member

We do have folklore of the undead, but the creatures are closer to zombies and werewolves than vampires. They are called strigoi, moroi and pricolici.

Dracula is inspired by an actual Prince, a bloody one, Vlad the Impaler.

More on topic, I would like to see in the Sims the iele, a sort of evil, beautiful fairies, that live in the woods. But that won't happen.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    netney52 wrote: »

I'm not sure exactly where vampire folklore came from but Bram Stoker's inspiration for Dracula comes from a small fishing town in the UK called Whitby in North Yorkshire. There is a lot of vampire/wiccan themed stuff in the town for this reason. Although I think the story of Dracula is in Transylvania but that was never the initial inspiration place for the story. Sorry I know this is off topic to the thread.

Yes, Dracula comes from Transylvania but the guy that supposedly inspired it all was nicknamed Vlad Dracul (Vlad the Devil) because of the barbaric ways he killed his enemies. He didn't actually drink their blood and didn't carry out the executions himself. Blood drinking and undead elements don't come from Transylvania.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Don't forget Countess Elizabeth Bathory, who legendarily bathed in the blood of young women.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    edited March 2021
    netney52 wrote: »

I do not live far from Whitby. There is a Dracula museum there and close to halloween there is Goth weekend. Was there during one of these weekends and grabbed some photos with the gothic-dressed folk.

In TS4 I would love a world with street houses all connected to each other. That's home to me.
  • Options
    Almost every country pays more for packs than America, not just Europe.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yep, EPs (for instance) should cost the equivalent of $39.99 in whatever country you're in. In Europe, that's 33€, yet we pay 40€ ($47).....

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Yep, EPs (for instance) should cost the equivalent of $39.99 in whatever country you're in. In Europe, that's 33€, yet we pay 40€.....

Likewise. In the UK, $39.99 is approximately £30 (At this very moment it's £28.87). The economy's been going all over the place since the Pandemic kicked in but right now we pay £34.99.
  • Options

We do have folklore of the undead, but the creatures are closer to zombies and werewolves than vampires. They are called strigoi, moroi and pricolici.

Dracula is inspired by an actual Prince, a bloody one, Vlad the Impaler.

More on topic, I would like to see in the Sims the iele, a sort of evil, beautiful fairies, that live in the woods. But that won't happen.

I think, maybe, Stoker got his inspiration for the Dracula books from the strigoi, an evil spirit that bothers people at night? But it doesn't explain why people dug up centuries later in some discovered grave yard or single grave was buried with the head removed and placed at the feet etc. Hoping they didn't return. I think a lot of the vamp tales have a lot to do with a bunch of practices all mixed together.
  • Options
    The folklore for chopping off heads and putting them at their feet was so that the ghoul would be confused and be unable to find its way home. It was originally said to be the only way to kill a vampire, although it could be said it works for most people.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yep, EPs (for instance) should cost the equivalent of $39.99 in whatever country you're in. In Europe, that's 33€, yet we pay 40€ ($47).....
    Yep, EPs (for instance) should cost the equivalent of $39.99 in whatever country you're in. In Europe, that's 33€, yet we pay 40€.....

Likewise. In the UK, $39.99 is approximately £30 (At this very moment it's £28.87). The economy's been going all over the place since the Pandemic kicked in but right now we pay £34.99.

In addition to the exchange rate, many countries put additional taxes on digital entertainment as a luxury, and also charge additional tax for games made in outside countries as well. That’s why you guys are seeing a disparity in price over the exchange rate. Your country is likely taxing foreign made digital entertainment as a luxury and/or an import.
  • Options
    iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    Are you serious? Another one of these??? This is an American game made in America. I play Japanese made games and never complain about them being too Japanese. Because I understand I am playing a FOREIGN game from Japan. If I ever play a foreign game I would appreciate the country it is from. Oh, and I know that the game is targeted towards a Japanese audience. The Sims is the same way but targeted towards an American audience. That’s just how it is. The country of the game that it originates from will always come first. Just because that is the way it is doesn’t mean you can’t play it or enjoy it the way it is. That’s the reality when it comes to playing foreign games.

About prices... others have said it already. You are paying exactly the exchange rate. Because you are essentially purchasing from a foreign country. That is all I have to say.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    iamoz96 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Another one of these??? This is an American game made in America. I play Japanese made games and never complain about them being too Japanese. Because I understand I am playing a FOREIGN game from Japan. If I ever play a foreign game I would appreciate the country it is from. Oh, and I know that the game is targeted towards a Japanese audience. The Sims is the same way but targeted towards an American audience.

@iamoz96 Personally, I don't mind the whole American thing but I have to kindly disagree with you on a few things.

The Sims isn't just any game, it's a life-simulation game, that means it is supposed to simulate life in general not just life in the US. Other games like Japanese ones are story based so it makes sense but for a life-simulation game, it would be a great thing to be able to simulate life that isn't always inspired by the US.
    But why does a game like the Sims need to draw inspiration from real places? Well, the thing is ever since the team itself started to market this game as an "inclusivity" simulator in which you should be able to feel "represented", they started adding real life places. Maybe it's a mistake but it's a mistake they started and they need to finish.

Also this game has such a huge fanbase in Europe and other continents, I feel like showing a bit of diversity wouldn't hurt. I mean European players pay for this game just like everyone else.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Are you serious? Another one of these??? This is an American game made in America. I play Japanese made games and never complain about them being too Japanese. Because I understand I am playing a FOREIGN game from Japan. If I ever play a foreign game I would appreciate the country it is from. Oh, and I know that the game is targeted towards a Japanese audience. The Sims is the same way but targeted towards an American audience.

@iamoz96 Personally, I don't mind the whole American thing but I have to kindly disagree with you on a few things.

The Sims isn't just any game, it's a life-simulation game, that means it is supposed to simulate life in general not just life in the US. Other games like Japanese ones are story based so it makes sense but for a life-simulation game, it would be a great thing to be able to simulate life that isn't always inspired by the US.
    But why does a game like the Sims need to draw inspiration from real places? Well, the thing is ever since the team itself started to market this game as an "inclusivity" simulator in which you should be able to feel "represented", they started adding real life places. Maybe it's a mistake but it's a mistake they started and they need to finish.

Also this game has such a huge fanbase in Europe and other continents, I feel like showing a bit of diversity wouldn't hurt. I mean European players pay for this game just like everyone else.

There’s a huge fan base for Japanese games on other continents too. The main market is it’s homeland and it’s gonna come first. I cannot say it anymore than that. It’s fine to include some diversity for their marketed “inclusiveness” but it’s not gonna be the way YOU want it to be. Which I agree is a big freakin mistake on their part. There are way too many cultures to emulate and get 100% exact. That’s what happens when a game is made in another country. You HAVE to accept that fact. Life simulation or not. It’s gonna be Americanized. If this game was made in another country, I would not be complaining because I understand that this game is not gonna be fashioned dominantly after my country or others. The world is not as one as you’d think.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited March 2021

There’s a huge fan base for Japanese games on other continents too. The main market is it’s homeland and it’s gonna come first. I cannot say it anymore than that. It’s fine to include some diversity for their marketed “inclusiveness” but it’s not gonna be the way YOU want it to be. Which I agree is a big freakin mistake on their part. There are way too many cultures to emulate and get 100% exact. That’s what happens when a game is made in another country. You HAVE to accept that fact. Life simulation or not. It’s gonna be Americanized. If this game was made in another country, I would not be complaining because I understand that this game is not gonna be fashioned dominantly after my country or others. The world is not as one as you’d think.

@iamoz96 I thought I clearly stated that it doesn't bother me that much that the game is Americanized. I don't give a dime really. So I don't HAVE to accept any facts.

I just wanted to try and highlight what the other side of the story could be and since the Sims team wants to embrace other countries cultures with Japan, I think it would be great to do that with other countries.

Also I feel like the OP was not telling EA what to do and how to make their game. I think it's clear to everyone that it's their game so they do what they want. But the OP simply asked why EA seems to dislike putting Europe in the game when they embrace other cultures, is there a personal reason? A bias? Another reason?
    I think that's a fair question.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options

@iamoz96 I thought I clearly stated that it doesn't bother me that much that the game is Americanized. I don't give a dime really. So I don't HAVE to accept any facts.

I just wanted to try and highlight what the other side of the story could be and since the Sims team wants to embrace other countries cultures with Japan, I think it would be great to do that with other countries.

Also I feel like the OP was not telling EA what to do and how to make their game. I think it's clear to everyone that it's their game so they do what they want. But the OP simply asked why EA seems to dislike putting Europe in the game when they embrace other cultures, is there a personal reason? A bias? Another reason?
    I think that's a fair question.

Okay, but I’m talking about others in general that complain. Not you. Sorry if I worded that all on you. My mistake on my part.

To be fair on the last paragraph. I don’t know? Why aren’t they adding more cultures? Sims 4 lacks in comparison to previous titles so I’m not surprised that they haven’t even done more vacation worlds centered on other countries (JA). But the problem I have with this question is that I’ve seen numerous questions similar to saying “why can’t this be more [state country here] and not American at all?”. That’s what irritates me and I’ve seen it. It looks like some others have said the same as me as I said in my first post.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    It is good for the game to use recognisable places. I don't see Hawaiians or South Americans complaining about representation. Or for that matter, most Japanese people. Maxis doesn't just have its largest number of fans based in the US, it's also a US-based company. It makes sense financially to appeal to Americans first.

This complaint is about PRICES. It's important to note that Devs don't decide prices. Almost every country across the world has to pay more for the game. Taxes are not an excuse. I don't decide the tax rate, the GOVERNMENT does, but EA just passes any taxes straight to me by jacking up the price. Not that I get any more for it.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Would it be wrong if i asked the developers to bring in a Russian world on this game? :tongue:
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Because it is an American game?

I’m from England and personally I’m not bothered at all by this. I don’t need the game to look like where I live, I’m not that insecure, I guess. I don’t need constant representation of myself everywhere I go or in everything I do.

But that’s just me.

—T
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Would it be wrong if i asked the developers to bring in a Russian world on this game? :tongue:

It would be awesome :)
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member

In my decade challenge the ww2 has ended. I need this world right now as counterpart. :p

Honestly, that would be awesome. :D
  • Options

The question is generally whether the Devs can make a world and style so that it is recognisably Eastern Europe, but I think they could manage it and there's nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    I love the Europe Theme, their architecture is so beautiful, i would like to see new European Worlds