Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Care Throwback Meshes Are Recolors?

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited March 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I just saw a lot of the clothes (CAS Assets) are recolors or retextures of Meshes already in your games you may have purchased in other packs.
Does this bother you that again you are paying for Recolors of outfits? Didn't one of the mobile games do this a few years ago?
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Do You Care Throwback Meshes Are Recolors? 106 votes

Yes, and I won't repay for a recolor.
55%
auroraael14GoldmoldarMstybl95KhariiIcewolfalexspoom13alan650111sims2freak737AlexaiColorist40BreeNillaIsb917alexandreaDeadFishyCinebarYautjagirlAmj1995Sk8rblazeKLAlexissikasika18 59 votes
No, I don't care, I can't recolor clothes and don't mind paying more for recolored meshes.
25%
bshag4lvIceyJPlayerSinger2010danacnbrettSimpatsyannTheSpotted_CTorieBabykittyjadeSailorCetipammiechickColton147147Pamtastic72summertaffy68Hearts4ujoRN1414FunandotsSERVERFRASharoniatelemwillEllupelluellu 27 votes
I didn't know and wished I had been told before I purchased this pack.
4%
winkeljohn78Armika74SimskristaGalaxySimsGirlBookBear 5 votes
No, Because this is a common practice in TS4 and doesn't bother me.
14%
Kita5399GalacticGalSimburianDarkLady2788SimplyJenduhboy2u2jcp011c2AquaGamer1212TTNsimmernetney52KimmerHoveraelPurpleHeatherReaganboganLaxPhoenix 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    No, I don't care, I can't recolor clothes and don't mind paying more for recolored meshes.
    I actually looked at the clothes before I bought it.

There's some recolors but enough new items that I wanted so I bought it. The amount of workout clothing was lacking so I was happy with the kit.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    There wasn’t really an option that fit how I feel about it. I haven’t purchased this one, although I like a lot of the other clothes that were not recolors. To me I think there should have been a few more items included (especially for men) to be worth $5 as it is. I’m honestly on the fence on this one, as I’d probably only use half of it on a regular basis. The meshes that were recolored are items I rarely use as it is. I must admit I’d buy a CAS kit immediately if it was themed for toddlers, children, or men exclusively, even if recolors were included (probably ones for teens and elders too if they were done well).
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I'm just going to wait for a modder to recolor items to copy the Fit Kit, then download them out of spite.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    My answer was not really on the poll. In short: I do care. I cannot recolor my own clothes so I am not against all of it and it is a common practice as well. However, specifically in the case of Throwback, it makes the value proposition of the CAS kits that much worse.

As the exemplar pack of CAS kits, I expect it to set the tone for those future kits and the tone is not a good one. It is sold as bite size expansion for the way you play, but it seems to me that CAS got the short end of the stick. A CAS kit with just clothes (no accessories, jewelry, tattoos, makeup, or anything new like body hair) is the equivalent of a BB kit with just clutter. You can still have that subjective value judgement based on your play style, but by design it seems held back in comparison.

Bust the Dust is completely new gameplay. I am still torn on the BB packs, but they were different types of furniture and clutter in Country Kitchen and they work off the grid. Then there is Throwback asking $5 for just clothes when there are so many CAS variety and has recolors on top of it. I do not like the CAS kits because they are CAS kits and CAS is innately worth less. I dislike CAS kits because they could and should be more for the price.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    There wasn’t really an option that fit how I feel about it. I haven’t purchased this one, although I like a lot of the other clothes that were not recolors. To me I think there should have been a few more items included (especially for men) to be worth $5 as it is. I’m honestly on the fence on this one, as I’d probably only use half of it on a regular basis. The meshes that were recolored are items I rarely use as it is. I must admit I’d buy a CAS kit immediately if it was themed for toddlers, children, or men exclusively, even if recolors were included (probably ones for teens and elders too if they were done well).

If we consider at least four to six of the items are recolors or what I would call retextured (to look slightly different) on some, this lessens the new content you actually receive. If there is any. A closer look at each item would be necessary to be able to say exactly what was already produced and resold to the people for an extra $5 to get a recolor. Not hardly worth that to influence Maxis that it is ok to sell recolors for more money,... strictly my opinion of not worth it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    So which clothes are just recolours?
  • Options
    DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    why is there no option for those who don't care much about CAS clothes?
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    I can’t say that it bothers me. I pay for more clothing options. I don’t see why new meshes are an expected requirement for that.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    My PC won't accept Mods/CCs, I can only play Vanilla, so I'm happy about finally starting to get things that the modders always had. :)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited March 2021
    Personally, I try to look at the effects my purchases have on the future of this game and the gaming industry. So I do absolutely care. I won't pay anyone 5$ for doing a half-***ed job.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    My choice of answer isn't in the poll either. I can recolor the clothes myself and this still doesn't bother me.
  • Options

None of them are if you actually care to look at the meshes. Grimcookies took pictures of the items in CAS to demonstrate, so I will just leave his tweet here.

@Netzspannung They look almost exactly the same. If you need to play "find the differences" with new and old sims content then there is something wrong...
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Are they actual recolors tho? They look like new meshes. Similar to others, but still new.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    They're new meshes, not recolors. Many of the differences couldn't be achieved with bump/displacement/normals unless the recolors were planned, and even then some (like the collar on the jacket) wouldn't happen. Last I checked, Sims clothing didn't have styling morphs.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2021
    They are similar but not recolors as far as I can see. I thought the same with the nifty knitting clothes but when I looked closer I saw that they were actually not that similar.

It's mostly the overall quality of the pack that makes me reconsider if I want to buy it now or on sale. I think the throwback fit items look okay from what I have seen (I have not bought the kit), nothing wrong with them really, Maxis CAS items are often of very high quality but I think some CAS items look better than others, which is how I often feel about the clothes that we get sometimes. Some I like and some I dislike.

Like with Tiny Living for example...

6nzBrkk.png
    nice, I love it, great looking jacket.

But in the same pack...

PkHm6Td.png
    What the plum is this?

So you know...it's different depending on what I like (no offense to anyone who loves that shirt :D )
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited March 2021
    I just don't care. I'm also not interested in that kit soo...
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Kita5399 wrote: »

If we consider at least four to six of the items are recolors or what I would call retextured (to look slightly different) on some, this lessens the new content you actually receive. If there is any. A closer look at each item would be necessary to be able to say exactly what was already produced and resold to the people for an extra $5 to get a recolor. Not hardly worth that to influence Maxis that it is ok to sell recolors for more money,... strictly my opinion of not worth it.
    I don’t completely disagree with you, that’s the reason I haven’t purchased it. I guess it does come down to how much each person feels is worth $5 (or whatever it costs where you’re from), and that varies person to person.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member

None of them are if you actually care to look at the meshes. Grimcookies took pictures of the items in CAS to demonstrate, so I will just leave his tweet here.

@Netzspannung They look almost exactly the same. If you need to play "find the differences" with new and old sims content then there is something wrong...

The statement that "they're actually not recolors" doesn't impact your point though. Yes, these meshes look STRONGLY like previous meshes, and yes, that is a problem since they wasted time reinventing the wheel so to speak when they could have just recolored an existing mesh and invested that effort into something else within the kit. They could have not given us 4 women's tops that were all crop tops, for instance, or given us more than 3 pieces of men's clothing in the entire kit. I believe @Netzspannung was making the point that the OP is making a false statement by saying that the clothing in this kit is a recolor of existing meshes, when they're actually wrong.
  • Options

I understand your point of view. Mine is just different. And it would be a waste of time to argue because neither of us will change their mind. I just left the tweet there for others who might want to view the items in question and make up their own mind.

@Netzspannung Did I say the opposite though?
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    No, because they look similar but are different looks.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited March 2021
    Its not complete recolor tho
    the shapes are different and new kit items actually seem more detailed and such

but its too similar to what we already have for me to really be interested anyway
    id like shapes to be bit more.. unique? interesting? fresh and new?

I don't need new croptops and low sitting skirts no. even if they come in cute colors and patterns

i need skirts that hide my sims stomach when paired with those neverending croptops

and i need longer tops that hide sims stomach cause like idk my northern soul just says "they look cold and uncomfy" whenever i see sim in croptop and low skirt/pants/shorts and it aint Sulani weather out there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited March 2021
    No because they're not recolors. Yes, the assets are similar to stuff we already have but I'm not that bothered about it.
    he/him
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    When it comes to the items posted above, they fit their theme, but going with designs that stood out more might be better for this particular kit. I am no expert on 80s athletic attire, though. Are there more unique pieces they could have went with instead?

Anyway, i am the type of person who would skip a kit if it had too many items that looked to me similar enough to ones i already have, even if in the end they are not the same. Oh, and straight up recolors would be even worse since i dont care about buying those too.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top