Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

$7 (CAD) FOR A KIT?!

2...Next

Comments

• KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
    I'm happy to buy them at full price so they keep making them so others can get them on sale. :)

Though I'm not sure about the dust one...I think I would also always have the dusty functionality turned off.
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    @Movotti wrote: »
    They're $7.95 aud
    Have you seen James Turner's reaction on the price while doing a review, ~~~Not Sponsored by Game Changer~~~ but :lol: by YT and his Paetreon donors, he has to pay for all Kit to do review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2021
    The USD has been the global reserve currency since the mid 1940's. Prior to that, the British pound was the global reserve currency.

If you purchase something internationally (ie: online shopping) your country's currency will get converted to the USD (if you live outside of the USA), plus any applicable local taxes in your area. That's how a reserve currency works... all international trade transactions get converted to one common reserve currency (which is currently the US dollar). And depending on what value your country's currency is against the value of the USD reserve currency, you'll end up paying more (or less) than the set US selling price.

So obviously US customers are going to pay the lowest price (the currently set price of $4.99) because they live in the USA and are purchasing a product within the USA with their (already exchanged) US dollars, so they don't have to contend with the added cost of international currency exchange rates.... unless you live in a country who's money is worth more than the US dollar but I'm not aware of any right now.

The use of a common trade currency (global reserve currency) for international trading between countries has been around since about the 1600's (I think). Prior to that trade was done with precious metals (gold/silver) or other highly valued assets (furs, spices, etc).

Fun fact: If you were a Canadian living in the 1970's, the Canadian dollar (CAD) was worth more than the US dollar (USD) for most of that decade, so it was worth the trip for Canadians to travel across the border to go shopping in US stores to save themselves oodles of money on everyday products.

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • SayNoToGnomesSayNoToGnomes Posts: 44 Member
    Gal from the UK here - I was wondering how the exchange rates and all would come into play for us here, as a $4.99 is around £3.60 give or take, but they're priced as £4.99 here too.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited March 2021
    Fun fact: If you were a Canadian living in the 1970's, the Canadian dollar (CAD) was worth more than the US dollar (USD) for most of that decade, so it was worth the trip for Canadians to travel across the border to go shopping in US stores to save themselves oodles of money on everyday products.
    Another fun fact: Canadians still go across the boarder for deals. Or did, before COVID. My parents would buy groceries because, even counting the price difference, things just plain cost less there. Plus Americans have a lot of things in bulk, so you can get more things for less money. When I lived in America for a while, they had 20 piece McNugget combos for five bucks. That's wild to me. I want that in my life.

Being Canadian sucks.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    Gordy wrote: »
    Another fun fact: Canadians still go across the boarder for deals. Or did, before COVID. My parents would buy groceries because, even counting the price difference, things just plain cost less there. Plus Americans have a lot of things in bulk, so you can get more things for less money. When I lived in America for a while, they had 20 piece McNugget combos for five bucks. That's wild to me. I want that in my life.

Being Canadian sucks.

If you had a better understanding of US economics/standard of living versus Canadian economics/standard of living, you wouldn't be saying that.

As a small example: The starting salary for a teacher in the USA is about $25,000/year. The starting salary for a teacher in Canada is about $50,000/year. If you're making $25,000 per year that $5 McNugget combo doesn't seem so cheap like it would if you were making $50,000 per year.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain

Being Canadian sucks.

If you had a better understanding of US economics/standard of living versus Canadian economics/standard of living, you wouldn't be saying that.

As a small example: The starting salary for a teacher in the USA is about $25,000/year. The starting salary for a teacher in Canada is about $50,000/year. If you're making $25,000 per year that $5 McNugget combo doesn't seem so cheap like it would if you were making $50,000 per year.
    Well, I work construction and the rates are the same no matter which country I'm working in, so that doesn't affect me. All that matters to me are those McNuggets.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    edited March 2021

Being Canadian sucks.

Well, I work construction and the rates are the same no matter which country I'm working in, so that doesn't affect me. All that matters to me are those McNuggets.

LOL. But what if you were to choke on one of those McNuggets and had to get rushed to the hospital? You wouldn't have prepaid universal healthcare to cover the cost of your emergency room Heimlich Maneuver... That sooper dooper cheap $5 McNugget combo could end up costing you $3000, thus further reducing the amount of money you have to buy a Sims 4 Dragon Kit Pack when it comes out. :D
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member

I so remember that. It was a cool surprise to find a US coin in my change. I still have some silver dollars I hung onto as well.
    LOL Canada could probably compete with US pricing if people didn't run to the states to shop in the first place. Its like the people here
    that blame the malls for downtown businesses that closed. If they didn't run to the malls the smaller shops would be fine.

Sorry Gordy but Canada Rocks!! However so do dragons. ;-) .
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited March 2021

Being Canadian sucks.

I'll trade you you're amazing Canadian healthcare for our bad, overpriced healthcare :D
    edited March 2021
    Bluegayle wrote: »

I so remember that. It was a cool surprise to find a US coin in my change. I still have some silver dollars I hung onto as well.
    LOL Canada could probably compete with US pricing if people didn't run to the states to shop in the first place. Its like the people here
    that blame the malls for downtown businesses that closed. If they didn't run to the malls the smaller shops would be fine.

Sorry Gordy but Canada Rocks!! However so do dragons. ;-) .

There's only a few countries on the planet that can compete with US prices and municipal taxation rates, one is China and one is India. High population volume means high consumer volume... aka high volume sales and high volume productivity at lower paid wages. The US is the biggest consumer market on the planet (or at least it was until China bypassed it not long ago) with a population of 340 million. The bigger the population, the higher the GDP (applicable to most 1st world countries only). But with a high population also comes ugly poverty rates, homelessness, reduced standard of living, overpriced housing market, overpriced healthcare costs, more costly social safety nets, etc etc.

So sure, you might be able to buy a Sims 4 kit pack for $4.99 in the US... but the cost of renting an apartment in most US cities will be roughly about the same (if not more) than any Canadian city by comparison. Meanwhile you're also making a much lower wage on average (with no universal healthcare coverage) than a Canadian is for the doing the exact same job (with universal healthcare coverage).

So yeah, being a Canadian doesn't suck much at all... unless of course cheap McNugget combo packs are more your thing. :D
    edited March 2021
    So sure, you might be able to buy a Sims 4 kit pack for $4.99 in the US... but the cost of renting an apartment in most US cities will be roughly about the same (if not more) than any Canadian city by comparison. Meanwhile you're also making a much lower wage on average (with no universal healthcare coverage) than a Canadian is for the doing the exact same job (with universal healthcare coverage).

So yeah, being a Canadian doesn't suck much at all... unless of course cheap McNugget combo packs are more your thing. :D
    Oh you're totes right. Though I have to say, I... actually live one of the most expensive cities in the world. ._.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    :open_mouth:Do we as Canadian already charged Luxury Tax to price of Video Games before G & PST!?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    My simmer friends from the UK are paying just two dollars shy of a stuff pack where I live for a kit. It's outrageous.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    EA's game plan for all their games:
    Have-a-Spine-and-Say-No-to-Microtransactions-in-Full-Price-Games-457839-3.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    > @Scobre said:
    > EA's game plan for all their games:

side note: I love how the incomplete picture forms an F.

FFF!!!
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Nice picture. But, the upcoming dlc prices aren't correct, I think, they will be approximately cost 50, 30 and 20 $. Maybe a forth and fifth category will be introduced too, which doesn't stopped the microtransactions of course.

(But I hope ea don't take this joke seriously, I don't want to be prophetic in this case.)
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited March 2021
    DELETED
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    How much do Stuff packs cost in Canada? Are you paying half or more than half the price of a stuff pack for a kit?

In New Zealand and Australia we're paying $15 for a Stuff pack and $8 for a Kit. For us Kits are more than half the price of a Stuff pack. Americans are paying half Stuff pack price for a Kit. They really should have divided the Stuff pack price in half everywhere since that's what it is for Americans. Then it would cost us $7.50 for a Kit. We're already paying more than Americans for Stuff packs so if the Kit pack price had to be rounded it should have been rounded down instead of up.

$10USD is $12.85AUD (we're paying $15)
    $5USD is $6.43AUD (we're paying $8)
    $15AUD is $11.67USD (They're paying $10)
    $8AUD is $6.22USD (They're paying $5)

If Kits cost $7AUD we'd be paying US $5.45 for a Kit, but instead we are paying US $6.22 for something that Americans are paying $5 for.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    @Sallycutecat Stuff Packs in Canada are $12.99 and Kits are $6.99 so we're paying more than half the price of a Stuff Pack too.

I think it's ridiculous they haven't given a reason for this because the only answer I can come up with is greed.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Nice picture. But, the upcoming dlc prices aren't correct, I think, they will be approximately cost 50, 30 and 20 $. Maybe a forth and fifth category will be introduced too, which doesn't stopped the microtransactions of course.

(But I hope ea don't take this joke seriously, I don't want to be prophetic in this case.)
    I wouldn't doubt it especially for the Sims 5, prices will be jacked up a lot more.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    They're $7.99 AUD. So 2 packs are more than a stuff pack :(
    Why didn't they just make is $5 in every country.

I mean I still bought Dust and Country....

I’ll be more than happy to buy it if it’s $5 (which is equivalent to MYR5) in every country! Like seriously! I can possibly gifted a few to my friends too.

For this kit, I’ve paid MYR20.14 (+ tax) per kit. This is quite affordable for me, unlike the other packs. FYI, I’ve paid the EP for nearly MYR 200 per pack. So that’s why I’ll always wait for sales for most of the packs.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I will never pay full price on kits. Period
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there, FYI: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)