Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unreal Engine and The Sims

For those whom don't know what the Unreal Engine is, it's a game engine. Much like the current game engine that drives The Sims today. Some Simmers including my self have seen the Unreal Engine in action. If you have played Doom, Conan Exiles and other games. These games are driven by the Unreal Engine. On to why what this is all about, I have just got done reading part of a article that Simsvip has up on their website. The article is about Sims 5 and the Blue Plumbob. In part of that article they had talked about The Sims might be having the Unreal Engine for it's game engine in the future. Now it's safe to say that Sims 4 is not likely to have the Unreal Engine as it's game engine. But they did say in the article that the next Sims game just might be driven by the Unreal Engine. Which might not be a bad thing for The Sims in the future because you get excellent detailing and sharper lines in the game and other wonderful game play animation. Conan Exiles is driven by Unreal 4 which is the fourth iteration in the Unreal Engine line. With Unreal 4, the hair on the characters heads move much like hair does in RL when there's a breeze blowing. The Unreal Engine can take The Sims in a direction that it's never gone before.

Comments

• elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Fbecause you get excellent detailing and sharper lines in the game and other wonderful game play animation. Conan Exiles is driven by Unreal 4 which is the fourth iteration in the Unreal Engine line. With Unreal 4, the hair on the characters heads move much like hair does in RL when there's a breeze blowing. The Unreal Engine can take The Sims in a direction that it's never gone before.

You cannot predict how the game is going to look like based on what engine it uses.

For example, this is a game made in Unreal Engine 4:

4yXdnq1.jpg

This is also a game made in Unreal Engine 4:

1yapCr0.jpg

Also this game:

lZzPfxC.jpg

And this game:

Ms5JXTp.jpg

And this:

M3j5Jpb.jpg

All of these games are made in Unreal Engine 4. Do they all have realistic hair physics, excellent details, and wonderful animation? Nope.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Also note that it’s possible that The Sims 5 will only be prototyped in UE and meanwhile a custom engine is being build for the game itself.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Unreal Engine reminds me of the PC games that my father & I played back in 1986.
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    It's very unlikely The Sims 5 will be running on Unreal Engine. It's free to use, until you make more than 1 million USD. From that point on, companies will have to pay 5% royalties over their earnings. Considering The Sims 4 just crossed 1 billion in lifetime revenue, had they used Unreal Engine, they would have had to pay 50 million USD to Epic Games. EA would never.

And also, a game like The Sims doesn't need half of the features present in Unreal Engine. By building their own engine the game will be less bloated. Which is a nice thing. You don't need gigabytes of first person shooter data in the base game.
  • agentcloneagentclone Posts: 15 Member
    If it wasn't for the networking job they currently have up there I would agree that they are likely just prototyping in Unreal Engine. To me though it's looking more likely that they will end up using Unreal Engine. They will no doubt consider the opportunities vs costs with using different engines. e.g. how many developers would it take, and how long to make a new engine. Would the engine work well longer term, etc etc.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Considering The Sims 4 just crossed 1 billion in lifetime revenue

Not just, but 2 years ago. The last two years were actually TS4's best years to date since launch, making roughly $350 million in FY20 and $450 million in FY21. TS4's lifetime revenue currently stands at close to $1.8 billion and should cross $2 billion by the end of this year.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Fbecause you get excellent detailing and sharper lines in the game and other wonderful game play animation. Conan Exiles is driven by Unreal 4 which is the fourth iteration in the Unreal Engine line. With Unreal 4, the hair on the characters heads move much like hair does in RL when there's a breeze blowing. The Unreal Engine can take The Sims in a direction that it's never gone before.

You cannot predict how the game is going to look like based on what engine it uses.

4yXdnq1.jpg

This is also a game made in Unreal Engine 4:

1yapCr0.jpg

Also this game:

lZzPfxC.jpg

And this game:

Ms5JXTp.jpg

And this:

M3j5Jpb.jpg

All of these games are made in Unreal Engine 4. Do they all have realistic hair physics, excellent details, and wonderful animation? Nope.
    I did not say that all the game that run on Unreal 4 are like that. I only said that Conan Exiles has this realistic hair physics. And all this is just speculation, except for the part about Conan Exiles hair physic. That part is not speculation, it's fact. And any one who has played Conan Exiles before like me knows this.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    EA were experimenting with hair like that years ago I remember. I was following SimGuruGrant at that time, as a bit of a fan, and somehow that came up in my searches of the places he was visiting then he mentioned on Twitter, even on his holidays and the EA studios in those places like Stockholm etc. Sad person I was then! :#
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    For those whom don't know what the Unreal Engine is, it's a game engine. Much like the current game engine that drives The Sims today. Some Simmers including my self have seen the Unreal Engine in action. If you have played Doom, Conan Exiles and other games. These games are driven by the Unreal Engine. On to why what this is all about, I have just got done reading part of a article that Simsvip has up on their website. The article is about Sims 5 and the Blue Plumbob. In part of that article they had talked about The Sims might be having the Unreal Engine for it's game engine in the future. Now it's safe to say that Sims 4 is not likely to have the Unreal Engine as it's game engine. But they did say in the article that the next Sims game just might be driven by the Unreal Engine. Which might not be a bad thing for The Sims in the future because you get excellent detailing and sharper lines in the game and other wonderful game play animation. Conan Exiles is driven by Unreal 4 which is the fourth iteration in the Unreal Engine line. With Unreal 4, the hair on the characters heads move much like hair does in RL when there's a breeze blowing. The Unreal Engine can take The Sims in a direction that it's never gone before.

Yes I'm very familer with Real Engine. ManeaterGame has Real Engine and the Graphics look good. In MG you play as a Bull Shark.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    It is possible but I don't know, however there are several versions of the Unreal Engine. Mass Effect (serials) are built on the Unreal Enginexxx whatever that number may be now.

For more homework take a look at all the games that are built with the later versions of the Unreal Engine. They don't all look like the pictures posted in this thread, many people wouldn't know it.

Some names you may know, Fortnite, StarWars Jedi etc. (Fortnite to my knowledge, from gamers who play it, state it is an intensive graphic user of CPU and GPU so, can't be played on a toaster, who knows, but I do know that game is used as a test game that is used in benchmarks very often when comparing video cards etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    As long as we get an amazing base game and good expansion packs that expand the game and any other kind of pack they want to throw out gives things you will enjoy and it’s not buggy and fun to play because the sims will be deeper and the worlds will be a cross between two and three I really don’t care what engine they use I just want to be able to also have enough space for my sims 2 game.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    DevSims91 wrote: »
    As long as we get an amazing base game and good expansion packs that expand the game and any other kind of pack they want to throw out gives things you will enjoy and it’s not buggy and fun to play because the sims will be deeper and the worlds will be a cross between two and three I really don’t care what engine they use I just want to be able to also have enough space for my sims 2 game.

And as long as we get a single player mode.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited March 2021
    @elelunicy wrote: »

You forgot Life Is Strange 2, Tell Me Why and Twin Mirror

af8a7610.jpg

tell_m10.jpg

twin-m10.jpg

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2021
    elelunicy wrote: »

Well, yeah, when you specifically google “bottom of the barrel Unreal 4 games,” you’ll get those image results. I don’t think that OP said The Sims on Unreal 4 would inherently mean better graphics. They said it could take The Sims in a direction that it’s never gone before, and they’re certainly very correct.

What is very appealing about Unreal Engine 4 is that it allows developers to focus on gameplay/optimization over spending a lot of time on core systems, given Unreal already ships with them. Putting that information in the context of everything that they’ve been dealing with concerning with The Sims 4, it makes a lot of sense why they’d choose to side with Unreal Engine 4. Less time on creating or modifying their own in-house engine could mean more attention to gameplay and very impressive graphics too. There is no reason why The Sims should not have advanced physics in clothing, hair, and furniture for one. The fact Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Switch has all of that and things like in-door fans moving clothes/hair/furniture/plants around with simulated air flow before The Sims is just sad.

And Unreal Engine 4 also works very well with RTX technology, which would be another great thing to come to The Sims for those who have the hardware to support ray tracing. It really does make any game look stunning, almost animated movie-like.