Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Kits Backlash incoming

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
edited March 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei9Y3AFR0Rw

In case you haven't seen, the Youtube Reveal of Kits is now at 5.1k likes and 6.6k dislikes.
There is also a lot of backlash on other social media platforms and by GameChangers.

To many people these Kits are overmonetization of a game with another three DLC types already. Do you think anyone from the team will adress the backlash? Do you think they will mostly ignore the backlash like they did with Batuu?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Kits seem to have ideas on existing packs. I don't think the backlash will be as bad as Batuu.

Seems like Gamechangers are on the fence about it too and scared how much it will add up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM-wbpJIL1k
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited March 2021
    They didn't acknowledge JTB, Grant defended My First Pet Stuff by pointing at sales. I feel like they only listened to us last year because it took a multitude of things coming their way (criticism over how they've been handling representations, JtB, more and more accusations of not listening, criticism over the game that's been boiling over for years, etc.) And even then, it didn't lead to much beyond the skin tone stuff.

I expect them to let people grumble about it until they get bored and give up. Then they'll pump out some more packs and kits until we're desensitized, before introducing "Bites;" bite-sized kits that cost 3 dollars and introduce 1 gameplay idea, one CASset and one BB item.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not completely anti-kit. I think they could be a great idea, if they were appropriately priced. The three kits cost more than a Stuff Pack but have much less content than the latest ones. And a Kit consisting largely of recolored assets shouldn't be worth the same price as a Kit with new mechanics, animations and gameplay.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    They didn't acknowledge JTB, Grant defended My First Pet Stuff by pointing at sales. I feel like they only listened to us last year because it took a multitude of things coming their way (criticism over how they've been handling representations, JtB, more and more accusations of not listening, criticism over the game that's been boiling over for years, etc.) And even then, it didn't lead to much beyond the skin tone stuff.

I expect them to let people grumble about it until they get bored and give up. Then they'll pump out some more packs and kits until we're desensitized, before introducing "Bites;" bite-sized kits that cost 3 dollars and introduce 1 gameplay idea, one CASset and one BB item.
    I mean that is what SimsMobile and SimsFreeplay is already doing. Maybe next Sims game will just resort to mobile because microtransactions are working better than selling DLC it seems like at least to EA's viewpoint. I'd be shocked if the next iteration is an offline PC game because seems like EA is heading to a complete opposite direction for the future and kits kind of cement that future.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I love the kits. All the fun of the store without buying store credits first. I'm expecting some really fun ideas.

@KathMHughes On the other hand the Sims 3 Store also had huge backlash.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I mean that is what SimsMobile and SimsFreeplay is already doing. Maybe next Sims game will just resort to mobile because microtransactions are working better than selling DLC it seems like at least to EA's viewpoint. I'd be shocked if the next iteration is an offline PC game because seems like EA is heading to a complete opposite direction for the future and kits kind of cement that future.

I'd be willing to bet money Sims 5 will take on the mobile model.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don’t know how much the kits cost in other countries but where I live they cost £4.99 each. I think that is actually a very reasonable price for what we get in the kits. I bought all three kits yesterday and I am very satisfied with them.
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 2021
    @Sharonia wrote: »
    I don’t know how much the kits cost in other countries but where I live they cost £4.99 each. I think that is actually a very reasonable price for what we get in the kits. I bought all three kits yesterday and I am very satisfied with them.
    :open_mouth: Oh my~~~ consider £ is larger than $US, that is truly a ripped off price by £2.00, same as $Cdn, since not much difference with $US in exchange, how~~ever, An Obligation of $Cdn 6.99 before Tax! Also you can check James Turner's reaction on Australian Price.

Y6DsjiW.png
    Thank you @Gordy, for the picture.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Considering Batuu got more backlash, I doubt it will do anything. Plus people have been buying the kits. I'd honestly bet a copy of Batuu (or the three kits) that more people have bought all three kits than have bought Batuu.

Though I do think they need to fix regional pricing. I do not really consider that as backlash against the kits, though.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Kits are $7.95 aud.
    They look like they're worth about $2 aud.

I can get a frozen coke spider at maccas for $2
    I can get a large latte from maccas for $5
    Large chips are $3.40
    A cheese toastie is $4
    2 kg of pears for $4.90
    3Lt of milk for $3.60

Heck, a hotwheels toy car is $3, and seems to have more content.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Kits are $7.95 aud.

That’s steep!
    I bet ya this includes shipping costs since you live at the edge of the world and those kits have a long long way to travel. *

*it was a joke. I have no idea why you guys, the Kiwis and the poor Canadians have to pay more? Looks like the result of a terrible trade deal.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Bingo.
    If you want to look at what AAA studios will try to push thru, look at their mobile games. If a mobile game gets away with nsert money grabbing abusive behavior here their next PC / Console title will have the exact same mechanic. Every. Time. Mobile games by AAA game publishers will always a test bed for abusive practices to see how far they can milk the players.

It's basically only when legal action is taken they back down (like the most abusive loot boxes for example).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    They'll come back in 2 months like "We know you loved the first kits so here's MORE!!!!!!"

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47youidx5j8yekgvo2h6h58cmakq2qv11woji5312a&rid=giphy.gif
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,941 Member
    edited March 2021
    if they sell well
    they will continue to make them

I have expressed my opinions already on many many threads which are:

possible comeback of ts3 store nonsense?
    - burning hatred.

possibility they try to fit awesome grand but niche ep/gp worthy themes like dragons into these?
    - absolutely disgusting unsubscribe

Not giving enough things for the price?
    - :disappointed:

kits possibly just giving content that feels like part of another pack?
    - tell me why aint nothing but meh meeeh

other than that?
    - i guess it could be fun way to bring actual niche small things that can't fit any real themes
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited March 2021
    Kit packs cost money to develop, just like every other pack, so if EA doesn't make a profit, they won't make them for long.

I feel like they sold this time because they're new and special and it's been a while, but future, single-release packs will rapidly decrease in interest, depending on what they contain. Everything sells well when it's new. There's tons of people who bought it BECAUSE THEY LIKE WHAT'S IN IT. That's the POINT, right? You like the content, so you have to buy it, no matter what the price is. Being less than $5, you can't know if they'll go on sale at all, so refusing to buy it just because you don't like the price even though you do like the content, is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And then there's people who didn't like what's in it, and didn't buy it, so they don't need to complain about the price, and so many assume that the people who did buy it, bought it because they're idiots, not because they like it.

Kit Packs will only succeed in the long run if they ALWAYS involve optional gameplay, like Bust The Dust does. Dull CAS and furniture packs will not survive.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2021
    It is true, even people who say its a rip off still buy them. EA doesnt care if you have "mixed feelings" about them, as long as you still buy it. When you buy it, its telling them this is the right amount of items/content and the price is good. Im one of those who say its a rip off and I actually don't buy them.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • AbbyBaba729AbbyBaba729 Posts: 135 Member
    It is true, even people who say its a rip off still buy them. EA doesnt care if you have "mixed feelings" about them, as long as you still buy it. When you buy it, its telling them this is the right amount of items/content and the price is good. Im one of those who say its a rip off and I actually don't buy them.
    This. I get so irrationally angry when see people complain about it and still buy it. EA will never learn while their devoted fans still give them their money. Protest all you want, but if you buy the kits, your opinion is invalid. Don't mean to be rude, just saying that that's not how boycotts work.
    Base Game Sympathizer. Please push for more BG updates! Not everyone can afford packs!
    Proud Giyu Tomioka simp. :)
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Lots of it is just people not happy with the prices though, but not the kits themselves. They might just knock the prices down if sales get so bad, which i doubt. If these kits dont feel worth the price to me, which some of them do, i will just not buy them at that price, but other than that i catually think the concept of them is fine.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    edited March 2021
    Game Changers are ridiculous. They tell us every time to be grateful, stop complaining, not buy a pack if we don‘t like it… but the second they have to pay for a pack with their own money they are suddenly concerned about the high price and the direction TS4 is going. It confirms my suspicion that their positive reviews are bought by EA.

GameChangers received these kits courtesy of the program. Just like always.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Yes, as most games now have in game purchases , I really do not have any problems with kits it is just how much it cost for so little and my conscious tells me that is not an good deal. as some can look at this as an beta as Sims 2 had an store near the end and Sims 3 ended up having an store and now this so some are suspecting this will be more expanded in Sims 5 if it does get produced.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Kits seem to have ideas on existing packs. I don't think the backlash will be as bad as Batuu.

The backlash won’t even be close.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Are you sure? Cause the dislikes are growing FAST. This is definitely worse than when Spark'd came out.