Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl talks about the new kits

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback

https://youtu.be/vVXpNoQ-Zik

What do you think? Agree or disagree with him and why?
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Hm. I am mixed, like on kits in general. I like the idea of using them as a solution to content droughts and the gameplay centered kits seem like a good thing I would be able to stack at a "discounted" rate for a more complex game, if you will. This is especially true if it really does not take away from the other packs.

However, I personally do not feel CAS kits are worth $5 from Throwback's example. If CAS is your entire game, maybe, but I paid the DLC fees for more rounded content. The only way I could imagine CAS kits being worth it is if they added new features to CAS, like body hair. Which I do not think is impossible, but it was not exemplified here. The more I experimented, the more unconvinced I became of new clothes alone keeping the game fresh.

I appreciate the pick and choose nature of kits, but clothing kits in particular seem low value even in mixing things up. I am still torn on the BB kits. I need one to show up that is a theme I am not interested in because I have wanted something like country kitchen for a long while. Then I will really be able to judge it properly.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    My first reaction was that I didn't like the idea of many kits being released at the same time and I was afraid that it would happen regularly. I know myself, I don't use CC and I always want to have more CAS and B&B items, I knew I'd like to buy them all and I'd have to make hard decisions, I couldn't afford to buy them all. Luckily they're just going to release the kits one at a time from now on. It's a relief.
    I ended up buying all three kits this time and I like them all, I have use for a lot of the items.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    I like the Kits. I love the Sims 4 and I'm always open to having new things in the game. I don't think the price of the kits is that bad and whether or not a pack is worth the cost is completely subjective. I keep seeing people say that the throw back kit is not worth the price because it's only CAS items but I've bought far more expensive packs in the past just for the CAS items. CAS is a part of the game that I actually love to expand on and I'm happy with what we got in the throw back kit.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I don’t watch his reviews anymore. However, I personally have 2 views on the kit.

The pros are;
    1. It’s an alternative option for those who can’t afford buying other packs, but want to have some add on to their games.
    2. It allows the players to customise their own game by having an option to opt out features that they feel unnecessary.

However, the cons are;
    1. It could serve as a micro transaction when we have more kits than the packs.
    2. Since the kits will have 3 different aspects of the game (gameplay, BB, & CAS), it’s actually cost more than the SP if one bought all 3 at the same time.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I don’t watch his reviews anymore. However, I personally have 2 views on the kit.

The pros are;
    1. It’s an alternative option for those who can’t afford buying other packs, but want to have some add on to their games.
    2. It allows the players to customise their own game by having an option to opt out features that they feel unnecessary.

However, the cons are;
    2. Since the kits will have 3 different aspects of the game (gameplay, BB, & CAS), it’s actually cost more than the SP if one bought all 3 at the same time.

Not to mention that if CC makers are contributing, EA has more time to focus on bugs, improvements, and new things.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    @Sharonia I agree with you about these value judgements being subjective and I am glad you like Throwback, but a CAS kit with just clothes feels like a BB kit with just clutter to me. It is still a subjective value judgement for how well you will use that clutter or clothing, but I felt it went beyond simply lacking because of the limited nature of the items.

Speaking as someone that bought Throwback, I accept and appreciate the need for expanding CAS. However, Throwback was devoid of new accessories, tattoos, hair, jewelry, or makeup. Much less anything new like body hair. I will admit we got a few hats, but I just would have expected more out of a CAS focused pack. I do not think clothing alone can keep my game fresh.

The variety could improve in the future, but the first three kits were designed and debuted together to give us an idea of what all the others will look like. So, I am still mixed on kits. I am glad you enjoy Throwback.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think I agree with him.

It's difficult to not believe that one of the reasons why they made kits was to make more money, even if they will be able to offer more unique content during droughts. This is more expensive than normal packs and some of the items does not feel that unique to me.

I never felt that it was actually a problem that I could not buy specific items from packs without buying the entire pack either. I never wanted to buy just the solar panels from Eco Lifestyle for example, I wanted the whole gameplay experience.

So I have mixed feelings about kits, It's not the direction that I wanted to see the sims4 go towards, I wanted to personalize the game on a more deeper level with more customization and gameplay features. Not bite-sized content.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    For me personally, I find them fun. I normally would spend that same amount on coffee or breakfast/etc when I was at work in person most weeks--those were done within an hour or two and this I have lasting gameplay with.

I understand the anger/frustration and that money doesn't grow on trees, greediness etc.

I do think the price point is a bit greedy, though the concept of kits is interesting. I play Sims 4 to destress from every day life and my anxiety disorders. Gameplay and building are my loves with this game. These kits give me more of that. Plus if CC makers collaborate in the future that would be really interesting to see!
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I absolutely believe that these are ideas that they wouldn't have explored otherwise for many reasons. They could be popular ideas or more niche ideas.
    We know they go to the table and chose an idea, they brainstorm it, figure out how much can fit in it budget wise. They have shown us what they do by involving us in the development process for certain stuff packs. Sure some ideas might have fit well or at least okay in other packs but then maybe we wouldn't get something else.... like maybe sandcastle building was up against something else in the Island Living Pack but they decided to go with that instead of the something else. Things do have to be cut. To think otherwise is naive at best.
    So they probably have all these ideas that made it so far but either just had to be cut or were rejected outright. For all we know Snowy Escape might have been weighed against an Alpine Mountain pack first. Ideas were probably tossed around until they figured out what they thought would serve the game best. This even includes styles for clothing and furniture that some simmers might like. It makes sense to me.
    I'm not sure a driving force is content drought... it's kind of late in the game for that, unless things are being tidied up? Or the profit is so good that why not put out every idea we can while fans are buying. It is a business. Thing is as a simmer that loves the Sims 4, I am pleased about filling in the spaces of content drought. I'm also pleased that I might get little themes that I might not have gotten before the game ended. So it does sound good that that could be a reason and really I think the developers are grand people that actually do want to give us as much of what we want as they can for this series. Provided what is wanted actually works with the current game. I'm also pretty sure that whoever is above them has to have the final say about where kits could actually exist or not.. and that comes down to money.
    Personally I'm kind of hoping kits will stay around even when the big packs end, both to keep the live service and bug repairs going and to keep getting that content that never made it into a bigger pack. Nothing wrong with picking and choosing at this point. If it keeps the game alive longer when it's over. In the long run that amounts to player satisfaction and more sales. People have not been happy about the way some of the prior games wrapped up. Maybe there will be a slightly different and possible better turn with this one when it finishes.
    egTcBMc.png
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited March 2021
    I agree with him. I don't really buy the justification for kits. Instead of creating a fourth type of DLC, I would have preferred that the developers use their resources to fix the numerous bugs in the game and make quality EPs, GPs and SPs. If Sims 4 DLC packs were fully fleshed out to begin with, there would be no need for kits to fill a "content drought" between packs. Excluding kits, the Sims 4 has 37 DLCs. That is more than any other version of the Sims franchise, and yet Sims 4 does feel lacking, where the prior iterations did not (at least to me). Second, none of the kits presented so far are offering anything truly unique. Finally, while the idea of giving players the option to buy what they want is good in theory, in reality kits just feel like a way for EA to charge more money for less content.
  • RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    edited May 2021
    I completely agree with Carl. I do feel these "kits" are just another way to get more money from players who constantly buy anything and everything because they can't think for themselves

(stop editing my posts EA_Neil)
    Post edited by RifftraxRules on
    Metaphasic wrote: »

The pros are;

However, the cons are;

Not to mention that if CC makers are contributing, EA has more time to focus on bugs, improvements, and new things.

Totally agree! It's a great opportunity to involve the talented CC & Mod creators!
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 2021
    Carl focus more on the game play interaction, if any type pack he is welcome so long there is an add interactive play feature. However to Carl if any pack that only features clutter and dressing items then, that pack would be U~~~seless, except builder & CAS creator. I'm personally with Carl all the way because I'm in depth player like him. Whatever I want to express, he does better. I for one would especially Never touch that Sports Kit like Batuu GP. I'm already suffer the notorious sports style in real 90's so, yeah, won't torture myself for eternity.

~~~~Saperation~~~~~~

Content Draught? Hold. By definition ~~Run Out of Ideas~~ when the Dev said Conten Draught? Don't we have a forum called Idea's Corner?

~~~~Saperation~~~~~~

I love Carl, but I disagree with him. I like the kits. I think it’s a great way to add a smaller amount of CAS, BB, or gameplay to the game for not a lot of money but if I decide to skip out on something I won’t feel like I am going to miss out on a major feature.
    Please forgive Carl for not be a skilful builder like you both the building and CAS. Do you remember his Super Sim play when he build house for Cody?
    Post edited by Ancaryvan on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

The pros are;

However, the cons are;

Wait, CC makers are contributing? That would likely affect the custom content which is available now, and not in a good way.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

The pros are;

However, the cons are;

@Metaphasic CC makers shouldn't contribute or it will mean we will be paying for CC packs. No ma'am!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,869 Member
    edited March 2021
    I stopped watching him sense last summer, or so.

I once liked his videos and loved the site, back when he was neutral, he was not against or favor of the pack, he simply told what the pack included and what you can do with it. I am most likely in minority here, but I wanted to know what said pack included, and what it did not. I really did not want to hear his opinion of it.

It really most likely is just me, but to me he changed to be a negative Nancy about everything, maybe to get more followers. To me it is bad as I do not want to hear does he like it or not, I want to know what is in the packs or not. And in that he used to be superior!
    I make my own opinion do I like it or not.

ETA: and no, I do not buy every pack. And there still is one I will never ever buy (and obviously that is NOT Batuu :D )
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina

I once liked his videos and loved the site, back when he was neutral, he was not against or favor of the pack, he simply told what the pack included and what you can do with it. I am most likely in minority here, but I wanted to know what said pack included, and what it did not. I really did not want to hear his opinion of it.

It really most likely is just me, but to me he changed to be a negative Nancy about everything, maybe to get more followers. To me it is bad as I do not want to hear does he like it or not, I want to know what is in the packs or not. And in that he used to be superior!

ETA: and no, I do not buy every pack. And there still is one I will never ever buy (and obviously that is NOT Batuu :D )

You’re not alone. I prefer a neutral review. I have my own style while playing the game, & can make a decision if the packs will add anything to my gameplay. Even for this kit, I know that the fit & kitchen kits won’t affect my play style at all.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Corporate money printer go brrr

Pretty much sums it up.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I disagree with Carl. He kept being negative about it in my opinion, when there are so many things that could be positive. Do I agree that EA made the Kits in gneral? No. But can I forgive them becuase the kits have decent quality to them? Yes. Carl should have thought more on the positive side, as well as the negative. The whole video seems very biased against the Kits, and I don't think thats fair for people who like them.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I cant find a justifiable reason to support these packs. For the minuscule amount of content? Not for $5. Make it $2 and then we'll talk. This is just more EA shenanigans as usual. If someone wants to buy these kits, well you do you boo, but my wallet stays closed on principle.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member

Exactly! To me, Overviews > Reviews. I don't care about what other people think about the pack. I just want to see what content is included to form my own opinion. :lol:
    he/him
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI, I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I own every pack but has not bought any of the Kits, but it is nice to know that there are there if I for some reason found a use for them