Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should sims go through puberty?

2...Next

Comments

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited November 2020
    The young sims are not very interesting to me, but I think the phases are supposed to be associative of puberty feelings.

The midlife crisis idea from TS3 is good, just to change things up a bit. It's fun when sims are different from eachother.

I would love for sims to have menstruation, free to pick in CAS, just like gender. It could be a puberty feature, then lost when entering elder state. Elders can’t get pregnant in The Sims and that would be a good 'explanation'.

Some ideas for implementation would be moodlets of nausea, cramps migraine, elatedness, lust. It should be able to bring down the timer for the moodlets by for instance exercise, eating cookies, woohooing. I want bloody sheats and clothes.
    Teenagers could have an embarressing talk about it.

Edit: I thought this thread was posted in Game Feedback.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    No. They might put in the menopause and men's mid-life crisis too! :o

Didn't we have midlife crisis in Sims 3 where you had to satisfy every single want that they had regardless of how silly or relationship-wrecking it was if you wanted your sim to actually be in a good mood?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2021
    I think it would make the game more interesting than just having stages of life.
    Movotti wrote: »
    The only additional thing that could be added to the concept, would be for teens to obsess over things, like particular books, movies, music, and celebrities.

I love this idea!!
    Simburian wrote: »
    No. They might put in the menopause and men's mid-life crisis too! :o

I think it would be an interesting little touch to have a female Sim, a few days before ageing up to an elder, start fanning herself and getting overheated moodlets at random.

I'm all for changes that make the life stages more different than just what the Sims look like. Currently, I think all of the Sims from teenager to elder are too similar.

Yes I agree with this. We had acne in sims 2, so why not? And I don´t understand why we don´t have menstruation/periods in the game, maybe a base game update to a Generations pack/packs? Puberty and menopause for pre-teens/middle aged sims? I mean come on it's 2020 there is nothing shameful about periods. PERIOD.
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    I'm a little surprised by everyone's reactions here! I didn't think so many people would be against it. I'm personally a family oriented player so I would gladly welcome anything that fleshes out the life stages more. And puberty, as terrible as it was for many of us, is a natural phase in life.

That being said, I'm not sure what more you want them to add. In previous games, Sims could get acne and mood swings. Those features are always really fun to play with as they add a new dimension to the gameplay.

I'm not against them adding anything more realistic than that, but I'm struggling to think of how it could make the gameplay better. The Slice of Life mod had periods as a feature, but they ended up being more trouble than they were worth, in my opinion. I don't want to micromanage my Sim everytime they get their period nor do I want them to suddenly be bombarded with a bunch of "uncomfortable" moodlets, no matter how realistic that may be for some.

I think a good compromise would be adding a chance card in, instead of implementing periods or...other stuff. (I'm not sure how specific we can get on this forum, so I'm trying to play it safe!) For example, your teenage sim might have a chance card mentioning their first period. Or a chance card mentioning they bled through their pants. Then players who aren't interested in that aspect don't have to see anything and it's relatively easy enough to ignore, while also adding to that awkward teenage goodness for storytellers/family oriented gamers and helping that life state become more defined.

What do ya'll think?
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    I'm a little surprised by everyone's reactions here! I didn't think so many people would be against it. I'm personally a family oriented player so I would gladly welcome anything that fleshes out the life stages more. And puberty, as terrible as it was for many of us, is a natural phase in life.

That being said, I'm not sure what more you want them to add. In previous games, Sims could get acne and mood swings. Those features are always really fun to play with as they add a new dimension to the gameplay.

I'm not against them adding anything more realistic than that, but I'm struggling to think of how it could make the gameplay better. The Slice of Life mod had periods as a feature, but they ended up being more trouble than they were worth, in my opinion. I don't want to micromanage my Sim everytime they get their period nor do I want them to suddenly be bombarded with a bunch of "uncomfortable" moodlets, no matter how realistic that may be for some.

I think a good compromise would be adding a chance card in, instead of implementing periods or...other stuff. (I'm not sure how specific we can get on this forum, so I'm trying to play it safe!) For example, your teenage sim might have a chance card mentioning their first period. Or a chance card mentioning they bled through their pants. Then players who aren't interested in that aspect don't have to see anything and it's relatively easy enough to ignore, while also adding to that awkward teenage goodness for storytellers/family oriented gamers and helping that life state become more defined.

What do ya'll think?

Haha yes, I’m a little surprised too!

I don´t play with mods/CC (cause my technique skill is -10 so I can’t fix the game if a mod/CC breaks it… :# ), so I don’t know how the slice of life mod works (just seen some of it when watching other simmers videos, and some of the realistic features look fun). I would just be happy with some moodlets once in a while and particularly around puberty/middle age. Maybe some moodlets with cramps/pms until menopause but just once in a while, not to often.

I don´t like that acne in sims 4 is a “mask” that you need to add in CAS. I hope they could improve this, make it possible for sims to get pimples every now and then, skin care treatments and some moodlets related to this.

• SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    While I do wish the various pre-adult life stages were longer, more meaningful, and with more to do, this is not one of them. I see no need for it, personally.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    I thought acne was 'puberty' in the sims 😩
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I wouldn't mind.

As it is right now, children age up to teens who are already vaguely in the middle/near the end of their puberty anyway. The game is basically already speedrunning it. More gradual aging would be neat.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    Although I personally have mods that allow for certain aspects of puberty and beyond, I wouldn't necessarily want that added in the game. As it is now, I can control what aspects I want to deal with for storytelling purposes.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    I can see this being applied to life issues DLC.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes. Back in Sims2, our Teen Sims would have break outs if they didn't tend to their hygiene. (I loved how they could use ointment to help.) In Sims4, if you have Parenthood, our Teens can go for a bit of a merry ride for various, sometimes absurd reasons. (Although I do regret the walk-style attributed to said phase. It's ridiculous.) We all have passed through it and some of us are now seeing our grandchildren go through it, too. Yesterday in my Test Save, the eldest Teen was busy weeping, crying his eyes out and is very sad. Why? I don't know, but he's having a full-on meltdown. While I see many of you groaning, it can and does add a little something to the game, over the everything is the same day-to-day play style some object to. What recipe can't be helped with a little bit of spice, eh?

ETA: @afternoonbaboon I have used SOL and am currently awaiting the updated version.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Nope from me haha. I'm a family player and want more for each life stage, but not puberty.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i think puberty would be somewhat of an good idea. Now i never let my teenage sims get their hyguine low, however- imagine for a second implementing periods- they would have an option to either power through the school day with new pants or go home and relax (maybe with some more homework as well). Now the sim is technically missing school because of an illness. However, they probably would have to use the restroom more. not a bad thought. plus sims can get hot for no reason, i mean that's an idea too. or even have a sim that is always cold. the induction of "hormones" might not be an bad idea.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    On the flip side, I'm surprised why anyone would want mensuration in their games. Natural part of life or not, some of us play the Sims to escape reality. Rather than simulate it in detail. Maybe it's because I'm in the former group? I don't know.

My own dislike for the idea of in-game menstruation aside though, it would be very hard to implement in a way that could represent everyone. I mean, which life stage would get it? Children or teens? I got my first period at the age of 10, and some girls don't get it until they're about 15. Even adding a "Pre teen" stage (which I don't see the point of anyway) wouldn't help solve this, since well... some people don't get it until a bit later in life.

And as for acne being a part of the gameplay and not just an accessory? No thank you. I've been dealing with that enough since about the age of 9 or 10 too. I don't need more realistic acne in my game.

The only way I wouldn't be opposed to it, is if they added a toggle where you could disable the puberty system altogether.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I think it would be a huge mess, because they'd need to stereotype and generalize puberty. My puberty wasn't difficult as such. The things I was going through in my life at the time were horrendous, but it wasn't due to puberty but external factors. I didn't get acne. Didn't have a lot of mood swings, didn't go through "phases".

But aside from the fact that puberty isn't the same for everyone, and that generalizations about it are already kind of inappropriate, fair representation would need to be present, across the lines of gender minorities as well. I guess it could be represented that everyone goes through mood swings and acne (even though that's not true) but beyond that, what? those things are already in the Parenthood pack, so they don't need adding. Getting too much in the weeds is unnecessary, and are they going to present a cis/hetero-exclusive version of it, or are they going to have a lot of backlash for being more real and inclusive? Any time the game goes into too much detail about sensitive topics, it's going to either exclude some people, or tick off and offend others.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    That could be a kit for those who want it, so could babies and then we needn't buy those kits if we didn't want them. I want an elders kit myself as so many Simmers don't seem to want those, not knowing what to do with them apparently.
  • Chocaholic523Chocaholic523 Posts: 61 Member
    Honestly (and I hope I'm not necroposting! This just seems like a really interesting topic), I wouldn't mind a little puberty sprinkled in. Like people have said, having acne pop up, the chance cards is a cool idea, sort of like how you get them in Parenthood when the kid has a question. It could be like, "during the day, Susie realized that she has gotten her first period! In a panic, she thinks over what to do." and the options can be "go to the school nurse", "ask a friend for help", "just use some toilet paper, and deal with it when you get home". Something like that.

And while I do enjoy SOL added stuff, I agree it can be annoying to deal with, especially with how often you have to change out hygine products, and how my sims never seem to do it automatically. If they did implement something like this, I would hope things would be a bit more automatic.

But I think having kid sims deal with first pimple close to their birthday/aging up (like, within 2 days or whatever for normal ageing) would be a nice little detail! Or a teen boy getting "first chest hair" moodlet (especially if they implemented body hair in the game like they did with TS3). Allowing sims to shave, A PARENT TEACHING THEIR CHILD TO SHAVE?! THAT WOULD BE ADORABLE!!! Have teens get "had a "weird" dream" embarrassed moodlet. "Learn about woohoo" or "learn about the llamas and the bunnies" or something like that (instead of birds and the bees). Just little things, especially closer to aging up would be really cool! Allowing kids to "go to the dentist for braces", and then they get braces. Because while I like having the option for it, I feel like braces should be done in a more realistic way! At least, to an extent. And while they have them, they could get an embarrassed or uncomfortable moodlet ('annoying rubber bands', 'sore cheeks', 'brace face'), and being able to be teased for having them. But they also get a 2 day confident moodlet after they get them taken off! Oh, and on the same strain, letting kids lose their teeth! "lost first tooth" would be a cute moodlet! Ugh, this would be soooo nice.
    Opinions are like a$$holes; everyone has one.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0wSZ0g-hej0eCHccSeLaUA
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    No thanks! Don't want to experience THAT monstrosity again.

My thoughts exactly!