Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bust the Dust Kit complaints

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    My biggest complain is that my maid haven't vacuum the house... i got a maid specially for this, i left the vacuum at the house, but i went with my sim to her active career and when i got back i was expecting to find the house pristine but i found it filthy anyway... is it maybe because i wasn't at home? Do we have to direct the maid to use the vacuum? Or may this be related to the fact that my sims aren't using the vacuum autonomously?
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited March 2021
    I bought the pack and tested it. I don't have much to complain. The sparkles don't bother me, but I don't understand dust bunnies. Are they supposed to hang around only when the house is dirty? If we can name them and befriend them, why do Sims keep vacuuming them away autonomously?
    My Sim named one dust bunny and fed it some dust and I was waiting to be able to be friendly to it, but my Sim started vacuuming autonomously and the dust bunny disappeared. The next day a new dust bunny appeared. It didn't have a name so it wasn't the same one. Why can we even name them if they just get vacuumed away? It doesn't make any sense unless they're only meant for Sims who live in filth and never vacuum.
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I bought the pack and tested it. I don't have much to complain. The sparles don't bother me, but I don't understand dust bunnies. Are they supposed to hang around only when the house is dirty? If we can name them and befriend them, why do Sims keep vacuuming them away autonomously?
    My Sim named one dust bunny and fed it some dust and I was waiting to be able to be friendly to it, but my Sim started vacuuming autonomously and the dust bunny disappeared. The next day a new dust bunny appeared. It didn't have a name so it wasn't the same one. Why can we even name them if they just get vacuumed away? It doesn't make any sense unless they're only meant for Sims who live in filth and never vacuum.

Dust bunnies show up in dust levels below pristine, but there is another thing that spawns in the filthy levels. (I think they were called filth beans? Whatever, I'll call them gremlins for convenience.) The first dust level is apparently a positive level. It gives a happiness moodlet referring to a lived in feel in the house. This is where I saw bunnies start spawning.

It takes a while, but I know once befriended they stick around even when it is pristine. I am not sure if Sims will autonomously clean a befriended dust bunny since none of my Sims have ever autonomously vacuumed, but so long as it is befriended it will not disappear just from cleanliness changes.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Also it seems like roommates don't/can't vacuum autonomously. I have roommates living on seperate floors of the house and they both let their little apartments get filthy. One of them being a neat freak too.

Bummer.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited March 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I bought the pack and tested it. I don't have much to complain. The sparles don't bother me, but I don't understand dust bunnies. Are they supposed to hang around only when the house is dirty? If we can name them and befriend them, why do Sims keep vacuuming them away autonomously?

Dust bunnies show up in dust levels below pristine, but there is another thing that spawns in the filthy levels. (I think they were called filth beans? Whatever, I'll call them gremlins for convenience.) The first dust level is apparently a positive level. It gives a happiness moodlet referring to a lived in feel in the house. This is where I saw bunnies start spawning.

It takes a while, but I know once befriended they stick around even when it is pristine. I am not sure if Sims will autonomously clean a befriended dust bunny since none of my Sims have ever autonomously vacuumed, but so long as it is befriended it will not disappear just from cleanliness changes.
    Oh, so the dust bunny disappeared because my Sim wasn't able to befriend it fast enough.
    The dust bunny was still there until my Sim decided to start vacuuming autonomously and afterwards it was gone. Looks like clean Sims are not able to become friends with the dust bunnies very easily, because my Sim wasn't able to do anything with it after she fed dust to it once. She couldn't do it twice and the friendly action was greyed out too.
    I guess I'll let the house be dirty a bit longer and try if I my Sim can feed it more and befriend it, but I need to put the vacuum cleaner to the household inventory to prevent her vacuuming autonomously.
  • LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Thanks for the insight!

I will hold off for now

My complaint even if I lack the pack, may just be personal, but I dislike buffs with no timer, so like 2 hours till it leaves.

IMO they get in the way of other emotions and I saw some new ones on the livestream 😕
  • Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2021
    The Speed Cleaner reward trait doesn't speed up vacuuming. I tested it with a Neat, Speed Cleaner VS a Slob and they both finished at the same time.

To my surprise; commercial lots also use the Dust System. I'm happy about that but I didn't stay long enough to see whether or not Libraries and Gyms will ever get 'dirty'. Which means all these lots start at the "Pristine Clean" level which offers a permanent +2 Inspired buff while visiting, which seems like an overbearing buff. Also, if commercial lots DO get dirty overtime, I think that all these lots will require some sort of Custodian NPC to maintain them.

I like that I might need to vacuum at my restaurants and retail shops, but I haven't tested whether or not employees will know how to do these things. Retail employees don't clean up Parenthood messes for example.

I kinda wish they added a duster and a broom along with hand dusters and standing dusters--like how they offered a less modern alternative for doing laundry in Laundry Day.

I think sims returning the vacuum to a docking bay is a must. Otherwise there is too much micromanaging.

Because now when you click on the ground there are new options (Check Dust Level and Vacuum), the 'Go Here' option is no longer centered as the only action option. It felt weird as my muscle memory was used to clicking a spot twice to have a sim 'Go Here'-- now I have to click the ground and find the 'Go Here' option on the radial menu.

*EDIT*

I also wish there was a way to SHIFT-CLICK the floor using testingcheats enabled to be able to instantly make a room clean or dusty.

Maybe there is a way that I don't know about--but I think it would be very nice for building/storytelling.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    My biggest complain is that my maid haven't vacuum the house... i got a maid specially for this, i left the vacuum at the house, but i went with my sim to her active career and when i got back i was expecting to find the house pristine but i found it filthy anyway... is it maybe because i wasn't at home? Do we have to direct the maid to use the vacuum? Or may this be related to the fact that my sims aren't using the vacuum autonomously?

Nothing happens on your lot when you're away, so that could be the explanation.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    The Speed Cleaner reward trait doesn't speed up vacuuming. I tested it with a Neat, Speed Cleaner VS a Slob and they both finished at the same time.

To my surprise; commercial lots also use the Dust System. I'm happy about that but I didn't stay long enough to see whether or not Libraries and Gyms will ever get 'dirty'. Which means all these lots start at the "Pristine Clean" level which offers a permanent +2 Inspired buff while visiting, which seems like an overbearing buff. Also, if commercial lots DO get dirty overtime, I think that all these lots will require some sort of Custodian NPC to maintain them.

I like that I might need to vacuum at my restaurants and retail shops, but I haven't tested whether or not employees will know how to do these things. Retail employees don't clean up Parenthood messes for example.

I kinda wish they added a duster and a broom along with hand dusters and standing dusters--like how they offered a less modern alternative for doing laundry in Laundry Day.

I think sims returning the vacuum to a docking bay is a must. Otherwise there is too much micromanaging.

*EDIT*

I also wish there was a way to SHIFT-CLICK the floor using testingcheats enabled to be able to instantly make a room clean or dusty.

Maybe there is a way that I don't know about--but I think it would be very nice for building/storytelling.

Commercial lots can get dusty too? That doesn't sound like a good idea.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I saw the Aspirations and they seem kind of lame, tbh. They're not Island Living-level of phoned in, but they're pretty weak. And why'd they make two Aspirations for this pack and not for something like Paranormal, which requires a ridiculous amount of Aspiration Points to get the Brave trait and haunted houses take so long to pay out enough.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    I've decided to solve my vacuum issue by placing one vacuum in the household and whoever picks it up first is the winner of forever being the house cleaner. :D

It would be lovely if we could keep it out of the inventories though, the big vacuums anyway. I actually don't think I would mind the small handheld ones going in the inventories.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I'm still considering whether or not to buy the pack, so thanks for the useful info. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

1) are the sparkles just on floors or objects too? Are there many in each room or more subtle?
    2) does point 2 stop if you have autonomy turned off?
    3) I guess point 3 is like nifty knitting for me, I like to see the work baskets on the floor not hidden in their inventory. So I buy 2. One for deco, one for their inventory. I guess it would be expensive to do it with hoovers but we could cheat the cost back.
    4) was it just a few random dust bunnies or was the place actually dirty all over again?
    5) do they need to hoover in each room or does hoovering one spot clear and entire house level?
    1. Sparkles are kind of in the rooms in general but they aren’t obtrusive or overwhelming in my opinion.
    2. I haven’t had a sim vacuum autonomously at all yet. So it may depend on traits. Ninja said it’s more likely to happen with neat sims.
    3. The vacuums aren’t very expensive really so that’s totally do-able, also it’s easy to live drag them out of inventory and set them in the house.
    4. The dust bunnies spawn kind of slowly the rate is determined by how many sims are in the household, and/or if you have pets and how many. I have a single sim with the Fabulously Filthy trait who lives alone with his cat and it took a good in game week or so to spawn dust bunnies and in his small house he only ever spawned 3, at least so far.
    5. If you choose the ‘vacuum around’ option on the vacuum itself it cleans the whole floor/level when you’re done. If you choose ‘vacuum lightly’ on an actual dust pile it only cleans that area.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @telmarina thanks so much for answering my questions 😊

I saw someone posting elsewhere that their maid did hoover, but they were on the lot with them at the time so maybe try that.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Thanks for this thread, I will be passing on this pack as my sims have enough to do without having to clean the freaking house everyday. I have a hard enough time with laundry.
    I know this is a life simulator, but I don't like housework in RL and I live vicariously through my sims so I don't like having them do housework lol

Only reason to get it would be if a modder does something awesome with the vacuum meshes and animation.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm still considering whether or not to buy the pack, so thanks for the useful info. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

1) are the sparkles just on floors or objects too? Are there many in each room or more subtle?
    2) does point 2 stop if you have autonomy turned off?
    3) I guess point 3 is like nifty knitting for me, I like to see the work baskets on the floor not hidden in their inventory. So I buy 2. One for deco, one for their inventory. I guess it would be expensive to do it with hoovers but we could cheat the cost back.
    4) was it just a few random dust bunnies or was the place actually dirty all over again?
    5) do they need to hoover in each room or does hoovering one spot clear and entire house level?

The sparkles appear around the whole floor randomly when it’s clean. It’s annoying to me because it makes me think of plates of food all around my house because food sparkles in this game as well lol.

If you have autonomy disabled for your game, then I don’t see why vacuum autonomy would still be on.

I put a big vacuum in my Sim’s living room and a small vacuum in their inventory. The Sim autonomously decided to vacuum with the big vacuum and then put it in their inventory. Now they have 2 in their inventory.

It said the floor if left unattended would be filthy soon. The dust bunnies were there already.

If they vacuum in one spot, it “cleans” that entire floor. So you’d have to have them vacuum once on each floor of your house.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Thanks for the info @elanorbreton
    @Pamtastic72 there's a lot of info i needed to know there! Thanks.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight!! This is exactly why I was hesitant to get it : I was afraid the houses would get dirty all the time, the sparkles feel annoying , and I do find the dust bunnies immersion breaking/unrealistic, I wish there was a toggle to disable them but keep the dust effects otherwise.

Same! I could do without the dust bunnies appearing at all and would much prefer just the accumulation of dust on the floors.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    2) I’m already tired of seeing my Sims stop watching tv to get up and vacuum for the 5th time. The autonomy should be tuned. (I used a mod to disable it for the time being.)

One of my small annoyances in my play session yesterday was that my sims didn't use thevacuum autonomously. I wish they start doing it but of course not to the point of not doing anything else...
    3) Sims automatically putting the vacuum cleaner into their inventory after use is annoying. I just want to be able to set the vacuum cleaner in the corner, have them use it, and then have them put it right back in the corner again.

Oh i had to buy two vacuum cleaners. I have a family of 6 and i was always forgetting who has the vacuum on his pocket? 😅 i wish it did stay there for everyone's use.

4) The house gets dirty too frequently. One day it said the house was pristine and the very next day, 3 dust bunnies appeared.

Did it happen in a small household? In my game it was def a challenge but i thnk that it may be because my household is big (6sims)... i think i heard guru say that the velocity of this would depend in several things including the size of the household. Anyway today or tomorrow i'll be moving my ya sim and she'll live alone so i can check it better.
    5) It’s weird that an entire floor can be filthy and a Sim can vacuum literally in one spot and “magically” the whole floor is clean. Am I the only one who expected Sims to actually roll the vacuum around and go into each individual room? Idk maybe my expectations were unrealistically high.

I actually like this. I was stressing about small spaces and that the vacuum wouldn't fit or that dust wouldn't accumulate in small spaces and it could look awkward but it did clean it all just from one spot (that you can choose as long as there is space to use the vacuum). But then my sims are living in a huge three floor house so i find it more practical...

Anyway i love it! Finally the balance from keeping home life and other goals/adventures is harder to mantain.

I read that Sims will autonomously vacuum depending on their traits and if they think they’re in a bad environment, like they get negative buffs relating to the environment.

The house is I guess decent sized. It’s a 2-story with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. It’s basically Kaori’s house from SE, I just added more space.

I noticed I couldn’t click on a rug to have my Sim’s vacuum, I could only click on the actual wood floor.

I would think it’s because you weren’t home but I’m not sure.

I don’t know if maids vacuum when they come over, but they do your laundry so I would assume they vacuum as well lol
    HopeyStarr wrote: »
    Also it seems like roommates don't/can't vacuum autonomously. I have roommates living on seperate floors of the house and they both let their little apartments get filthy. One of them being a neat freak too.

Bummer.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a roommate clean.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I would think it’s because you weren’t home but I’m not sure.

I don’t know if maids vacuum when they come over, but they do your laundry so I would assume they vacuum as well lol

Maids have never worked that well when sims are off the lot even prior to this pack tbh.
    edited March 2021

Because now when you click on the ground there are new options (Check Dust Level and Vacuum), the 'Go Here' option is no longer centered as the only action option. It felt weird as my muscle memory was used to clicking a spot twice to have a sim 'Go Here'-- now I have to click the ground and find the 'Go Here' option on the radial menu.

*EDIT*

I didn’t consider that commercial spaces could get dusty too. This seems like something they should’ve added in Options so we could disable it if we want. I can imagine Sim’s at a restaurant in miserable moods because the place is dusty so they don’t wanna sit and eat for long.

If employees don’t automatically vacuum, then you as a regular customer have to vacuum? That would be weird lol

Do vacuums work Off-The-Grid? If not, we are definitely in need of a lower-tiered cleaning device such as a broom or something.

I think it’s weird that I can click on the toilet or counter and the vacuum option is there. Idk if I will ever get used to that.
  • LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    I agree that the speed that the house gets dirty is too fast. As for dust bunnies, I love them! 'n yes, it's annoying that in big families you have to buy gazillion vacuum cleaners or micro-manage.

My main actual complaint is that as far as I can see, teens and children don't get any Responsibility from using vacuum cleaner. Surely if they get that from all the other cleaning, as well as doing laundry or taking care of the hamster, they should get that from vacuuming as well?
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    SimguruNinja said in the livestream that teens and kids would get responsibility from dusting/cleaning.
    Lumiasta wrote: »
    I agree that the speed that the house gets dirty is too fast. As for dust bunnies, I love them! 'n yes, it's annoying that in big families you have to buy gazillion vacuum cleaners or micro-manage.

My main actual complaint is that as far as I can see, teens and children don't get any Responsibility from using vacuum cleaner. Surely if they get that from all the other cleaning, as well as doing laundry or taking care of the hamster, they should get that from vacuuming as well?

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

Do vacuums work Off-The-Grid? If not, we are definitely in need of a lower-tiered cleaning device such as a broom or something.

I think it’s weird that I can click on the toilet or counter and the vacuum option is there. Idk if I will ever get used to that.

They showed in the live stream that you can upgrade them to work off the grid.