Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sentiments

They say: "Sentiments come in varying strengths, with some lasting longer than others, but they all fade away over time."
I believe some sentiments such as "Awed by Lifesaving Hero" (This Sim was saved from the clutches of death by another Sim.) should last for the rest of that sim's life!
Every time that sim sees his/her hero he/she would think: "That guy/gal saved my life!"

Comments

• ZorgaZorga Posts: 614 Member
    I don't agree. We tend to lose awe with time, especially if we see those people frequently.
  • Leo2009SSALeo2009SSA Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2021
    Zorga wrote: »
    I don't agree. We tend to lose awe with time, especially if we see those people frequently.

I agree that with most things it is like you described, but not for something like saving your life. I don't believe you would ever forget it.
    I have an example in my family, when he was young my dad saved the life of a friend who was at gun point. When they were old, my dad's friend every time he met my dad in a group, he would comment about that day when his life was saved by him.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Leo2009SSA wrote: »
    They say: "Sentiments come in varying strengths, with some lasting longer than others, but they all fade away over time."
    I believe some sentiments such as "Awed by Lifesaving Hero" (This Sim was saved from the clutches of death by another Sim.) should last for the rest of that sim's life!
    Every time that sim sees his/her hero he/she would think: "That guy/gal saved my life!"

I agree. My sixth great-grandfather fell into a mill race when he was a young teen and would have drowned but for two sisters jumping in to save him. One girl grew up to marry a Governor of Georgia, years later. But, even then John never forgot they had save his life. He would bring them bolts of the finest material as a thank you whenever he had a chance to see them.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2021
    Leo2009SSA wrote: »

I wish that they can add lifelong sentiments (will not fade unless you try to get rid of them). This way they can change the “ugh I hate my family” moodlet (Parenthood GP, from having a negative relationship with parent when growing up = you will get tensed every time the parent is around). If you instead get a lifelong negative sentiment to a parent (from bad parenting) there are always a possibility to forgive / reconcile with this parent (maybe try to get rid of the lifelong sentiments through family therapy? Or just leave it as it is if you want to keep this tension in the realtionship).

I really liked that feature from Parenthood, but I often avoid using it because you can't change the realtionship later on.
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • KeidraKeidra Posts: 460 Member
    I actually kind of like the idea of sentiments that last until you try to change them. It's happened many times to me that I've not gotten along with someone, and I will thereafter avoid them until one or the other of us tries to reconcile (and I know I hold grudges for a long time but lol). I turned off sentiment decay in my game, because the way that behaves by default makes no sense to me, if that says anything xD

I think something like that would add some dynamism to Sim relationships, if the choices they make could affect things like that, and the Parenthood bits could change over time. I mean it is sort of silly in the first place to make it like "so and so were BFFs as kids so they're BFFs for the rest of their life," like that's not realistic either? I don't talk to either of my childhood BFFs anymore, even if they're my siblings, so I don't think that's something that should be permanent either.
    白雪夏夜我不停歇
    我并不感到困扰

I am kind to everyone. But if you are unkind to me, kindness is not what you will remember me for.
    I am autistic. Wording isn't my strong suit.

Stop player on player violence.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I wish sentiments would stay put while I play other households. Keeping them until they are replaced would be a great solution for rotational players.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    I personally think some sentiments should always be present unless the relationship has reached a very bad state to make them go away. The adoring sentiment is that one that I hold the biggest issue with...

A parent should never loose the adoring sentiment for their child unless the relationship between parent and child has reached a very bad state, same with siblings or pretty much anybody that gets this sentiment for another sim and the relationship is being maintained in a good state. I don't believe this sentiment should just fade away while the relationship is still good, it makes no sense for it to fade away with time.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I like that the sentiments come and go. That keeps the fresh feeling to them. Also it's nice that sometimes sims don't have sentiments for each other, happens especially in rotational play. Stagnant sentiments really don't appeal to me.
  • LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    I like the way sentiments are now. Seems to be the one thing put in the game in the last few months that they implemented very well. Lifestyles on the other hand, oh boy, I have some complaints there, but will save it for another post.