March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What sized homes do you prefer?

I know it can vary based on your household size.

For me I enjoy big homes no matter the size of my household. I like to have multiple bedrooms and baths as well. The small homes always feel so cramped.
2llotup.jpg
The Best of Hunni's Builds
Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)

What sized homes do you prefer? 199 votes

Apartments
2%
Khrisstynej1z1SimmerGeorgeUmbreon12Marinuttonen 5 votes
One story
34%
bshag4lvNh6650Kita5399djacquelynstewalexspoom13WrenryAngel_mixsimgirl1010cchant86luthienrisingSirenLuminosFairyGodMotherYautjagirlmitchiebanjoKatiardguezMizzila1297duhboy2u2kiwi84stehlampeClassicalSim 68 votes
Two story
43%
GoldmoldarSimmervilleAlexaiColorist40PlayerSinger2010Mi9shaoscarTheSpotted_CIsb917SimburianMeteoraStormelanorbretonmaggiemae8135TrishAKingrosehrtgirlturmalina007alejandro15039Amj1995greydonnLustianiciaAquariusMom 87 votes
Three Story
4%
KatAnubishunniboo1Flexono1KathykinsCeridwenLoanetjohnjetSeashoreLiviaAdmiral8Q 9 votes
Other:
15%
auroraael14GalacticGalBlkBarbiegalSikoahGraceldmarkoTeeSeaSweetieWright_84drakharisBatmanFanGirlCAPTAIN_NXR7catmando830Sims4MagicalTalesrandy2355ScobreSheriSim57musteniMareahAirakalepermanentroseNikkih 30 votes

Comments

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Two story
    My favorites are two story, but a small, cozy two story
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Other:
    I adore tiny homes. I think it's my favorite building challenge to see how much I can cram into a tiny home and not make the tile count go up but still find creative ways to use the space. I have only made one and two story tiny homes so far, but maybe I'll challenge myself with one with more floors or a basement at some point.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Other:
    It really depends on the family and their needs. I like playing in all sorts of sizes.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    Apartments
    I like apartments the most, especially if you want to build up relationships with two different households.
    Other than that I try to download houses that an fit big families.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Other:
    I dont think i played in a three story, at least not in recent years. I only play in one or two stories. Oh, and i dont really like apartments because the ones i played had awful designs.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited March 2021
    One story
    I always prefer one story homes, especially now when the stairs are bugged.
    However, I often end up using two story homes when my sims are ready to upgrade and move away from the starter home. It's really difficult to find one story homes in gallery that aren't starter homes and I can't build at all.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    One story
    I always play one story homes on larger lots. I like to be able to see everything that's going on without having to tab up or down.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    Three Story
    I was going to say "other". But if you count basement levels, then yeah. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Other:
    Layout is more important to me than how many floors there are, and I tend to favor open designs most. Those are usually better (for me) on larger lots, and depending on the design, 2 or more levels is often best. But sometimes just one is perfect.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    Three Story
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Layout is more important to me than how many floors there are, and I tend to favor open designs most. Those are usually better (for me) on larger lots, and depending on the design, 2 or more levels is often best. But sometimes just one is perfect.

Nice!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Other:
    I like to start them off in an apartment or tiny home and then have them continue to grow family wise, and with more money, until they are in a mansion. :)
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Other:
    I actually use them all. But with homes I prefer smaller ones, if the space is not needed. On the gallery, I ignore mansions. Most of my sims don’t live in huge homes, but small to medium size ones, no matter how many stories. With apartments the very small ones are ususlly a bit too small, as I don’t play many single sims, but the medium to large apartments work well for small families.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Two story
    I don't like to have homes that are too-too big, but I usually have large families. Two storey homes are great because there's a lot of space for sims, and more room to decorate and have other rooms.

But basements are essential no matter the build.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Other:
    Kimmer wrote: »
    However, I often end up using two story homes when my sims are ready to upgrade and move away from the starter home. It's really difficult to find one story homes in gallery that aren't starter homes and I can't build at all.

@Kimmer I don’t make a lot of houses, but I have 2 one story homes on the gallery, that are actually copies of homes in my neighborhood. I’m terrible at making roofs unless I can actually see what they look like, which I could with those two, and the insides follow the floor plan too, I think they are California dreaming 1 and 2. They have garages. Under SheriSim or SheriSim57. I found another simmer that has houses with garages too, I’m not sure how many 1 story they have here is their ID: DZIDZIAK86
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    One story
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Kimmer wrote: »

@Kimmer I don’t make a lot of houses, but I have 2 one story homes on the gallery, that are actually copies of homes in my neighborhood. I’m terrible at making roofs unless I can actually see what they look like, which I could with those two, and the insides follow the floor plan too, I think they are California dreaming 1 and 2. They have garages. Under SheriSim or SheriSim57. I found another simmer that has houses with garages too, I’m not sure how many 1 story they have here is their ID: DZIDZIAK86
    Thanks. :)
    I'll check on those the next time I play.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,366 Member
    One story
    I prefer small one story homes, though do use two story ones when my family is big. I just find it annoying go up and down levels to check on sims most the time.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Two story
    Usually I like two story homes that are like actual homes, not mansions with three to four bedrooms so my families can stay in them long term.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    One story
    I usually go for one story houses, occasionally two story. Homes with more levels look more interesting but are more difficult to play in.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Two story
    My favorites are two story, but a small, cozy two story

This!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited March 2021
    Two story
    irl i very much prefer small one story houses cause lmao functional purposes and easy to maintain

but in sims I find them kinda boring to build
    and just problematic
    cause routing and all random items i wanna fit that id never need irl :lol:
    so the houses often end up like 2-3 storey basic family houses

+ find it nicer when i can just add different rooms on different levels so i don't have to move around on lot all the time and search for my sims in sea of rooms so i certainly rather add new floors than width to my build

i do also really like making big ridiculous mansions or castles sometimes though

but i feel it gets little overwhelming to play

like this one haunted mansion I have been playing few months now that has like 5 levels...
    certainly causes me to have to look very carefully for those haunted objects and specters to even notice they around :sweat_smile: mostly they're just stuck under roofs or something stupid

but i do find it fun cause well who doesn't love big spoopy mansions y know
    its just kinda funny they still didn't have space for seance room cause the house is shapely and rooms just didn't match so i had to add room to basement lmao good thing my sims are mostly occults so they have moving as bats and transportalate and such cause boy are all those stairs becoming workout routine
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Other:
    Usually two story max. It depends on the build for me because I find sims won't use anything or occupy stuff on 3+ floors, especially community lots. Unless I'm doing it wrong lol.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited March 2021
    Other:
    Large in general. I usually always add a basement at some point and play with eight sims. It does, depend, though. If I am renovating a premade house, I usually have to add a lot more layers to get the space I need compared to when I build them myself.

My most recent example is a family of eight siblings. I moved them into a premade house that was two stories with three bathrooms and three bedrooms. I was able to cram them in, but especially as I started working on school projects and sending some to college and employment it was not enough space. I added a third floor to make them two floor bedrooms and a basement for offices, two bathrooms, a yard fence, and two laundry rooms.

I am also really enjoying the haunted houses, so most of my main residential builds are.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Three Story
    Max 2 floors + basement. Its also more about the size of the property, as I also need a fairly large greenhouse with room for one of each plant.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I couldn't just pick one so I'll narrow it down to my top three:
    • Tiny Homes
    • One Story
    • Two Story

Things that are a must for me when building or choosing where my sim will live:
    • At least two bedrooms, just in case I want to start a family. If my sims don't have children, I use any extra rooms as office space.
    • No more than two floors.
    • No basements unless it's a bunker style build.
    • Small or medium in size. I never pick larger homes or mansions.
    • A good roof design. This one might seem a little weird, but roof designs have to be on point for me. I can often spend a lot of time just messing around with the roof tools until I get a look that I'm happy with.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    One story
    One story but like really huge cuz sims take 10 years to climb up the stairs. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif