Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampires - do you play them realistically?

2...Next

Comments

• ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Ai, so cool to learn about al these ways to play vampires! I didn't even know there are different "schools" and traditions regarding this. I always thought vampires were based on the (Transylvanian?) Count Dracula.

There is so much vampire mythology, and beyond that, pop culture! Even Dracula has been reinterpreted multiple times. There was the actual real human Vlad Tepes, legendarily cruel 15th century voivode (prince) of Wallachia in Romania (he's associated with Transylvania only because he was born in a town there, Sighisoara). As far as we know, he's completely human ;) Then there's Bram Stoker's Dracula, who was inspired by Vlad Tepes and his actions.

There's about a million and ten different pop culture interpretations of the guy, too! In Vampire the Masquerade, for instance, Vlad Tepes was Embraced into the Tzimisce clan, met Bram Stoker and encouraged him to write a... variation of his story in an attempt to breach the Masquerade, it backfired and instead made vampires into a pop culture phenomenon. Whoops! In-universe, the Dracula 'stereotypes' (generally nobility, Romanian/Transylvanian, etc) come specifically off Vlad and the Tzimisce clan.

And that's not even getting into other pop culture! Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Castlevania, Vampire Diaries, Blade, Vampire Chronicles... they all have different rules.

To answer the question: I have different rules depending on their origins! So, my Sims-originating vampires (premades like the Vatores, and others I make specifically for the Sims) play by their rules. Different strengths and weaknesses, like Caleb can hang out in the sun with a nice meal, Lilith is hanging out with him but isn't eating because she has Withered Stomach, ones with the thin-skinned flaw are sulking inside. The characters I have from Vampire the Masquerade all have Thin-Skinned and Withered Stomach to mimic the complete lack of sun resistance and ability to eat food they have in that canon, and their abilities reflect on what disciplines they have. Those with Protean have the bat form, those with Celerity have supernatural speed, Potence = Vampiric Strength, Presence = Allure, stuff like that. It's fun being able to make really diverse combinations! (I just really wish there was a nice stable way to have vampire-spellcaster hybrids - some clans, like Banu Haqim, Tremere, and Tzimisce, make use of sorcery.)

But yeah, no one way to play a vampire!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    Some of my Vamps are traditional biters, some are Superheroes, some are Hybrids with other occult powers & some are my fake Werewolves cause we still don't have Werewolves in the game yet.
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited February 2021
    698px-Byron_1813_by_Phillips.jpg
    He is the The Origin of Twilight Vampire before Dracula exist. His name is George Gordon Byron, also known as Baron Lord Byron, English poet, author of Don Juan, the poem. Very early 1800, vampire starts as a romantic figure like Lord Byron. Greeks who know about the Independent War against Ottoman Empire should know him as their national hero. Quite sad actually, only a few Vampire fan knows about Byron compare to Vlad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I play vampires with what the game gave us (i.e. burn in the sun etc). & most things are game-driven. But I have my own vampire lore, as I've been playing the same vampire family since the gamepack came out
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't have any complex storylines when I play vampires, I play basically the same as I would with any other sim. Maybe they'd have some vampiric looks and would live in a spooky house but otherwise they're basically regular sims with perks.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited February 2021
    Eh, I play them how I want. Vampires are a demonic entity, so I play them as such.

My Spellcaster has a Legion of Daemons and Ghosts under his command to carry out his darkest quests in the shadows.
    ...Not sure if I should keep the two groups separate or combine them together...

So if He or someone of his circle of friends needs someone out of the way, he'll send some of his spawns to take care of it.
    Have them guard his castle, dungeons, Spy, Steal, abduct, Torture and assassinate. and their vampire powers are perfect for it. While they are Daerick's Army.

I needed enemies, for my sims to fight against, I went after the Hansel and Gretel Story, I've created a monster really, a Vampire-Spellcaster Hybrid. Built the him a small cottage, on the country side of Windenburg by an established Farm. still designing it to make it seem edible. But It's not Hansel and Gretel my Vampire-Spellcaster goes after and feeds on, it's anyone who comes across the Sim's House He'll prey after.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I don't think you can play a fantasy creature realistically in the way you mentioned. Different cultures have different concepts of vampires and there are multiple vampiric creature concepts. So, if you mean specifically following the vampiric laws that you have looked up and make sense to you, then absolutely not.

Read a couple of vampire fiction books or watch a couple movies or series. (I realize you will not because it is not something of interest to you, and that is fine, but my point still stands.) Some things are the same and some things are different. That is the great thing about a fantasy concept. Everyone can have their own that makes sense with their playstyle. For example, the sparkle vampire is neither appealing nor desirable for me. However, others may want the most humanistic vampire romance possible.

I also do not care to be beholden to the old fashioned strigoi rules, what many believe Dracula and Nosferatu were. Speaking of, they did not exactly follow things like the invitation rules very well, did they? Especially that latter creep just walked right into the female lead's bedroom whenever he pleased.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2021
    There are almost as many types of vampires as there are countries (note: If we count beings behaving like vampires and not only vampires that are actually named "vampire"). On top of that some of the most famous myths were created in the 20th century by Hollywood and are not old at all.

Things that vary depending on country, tradition and stuff:

Feeding habit. Do they kill or just feed? Or just eat your soul and not your blood? Everything from stealing a little bit of your soul without you noticing to literally rip your body in half and shower in the blood happens depending on from where in the world your legend comes from.

HOW to become a vampire? Is it a curse from God(s)? or a curse from a witch? Or are you undead? Or...

How do you BEHAVE? Like a rabid animal, or a suave nobleman, or a well.. woohoo maniac?

Weaknesses... "Real" Eastern European vampires cannot cross running water. Bridges... sometimes, sometimes not.

Some vampires are obsessed with Counting. Easiest way to get away is to throw a fistful of beans or even better rice or grain on the ground, because the vampire cannot stop itself from pausing and counting every single grain you threw. If you're lucky the are still counting when the sun comes up.

Some vampires can handle sunlight. Some vampires can sneak between shadows. Some vampires can teleport between shadows if they are dark enough.

Others turn to stone in sunlight but "thaw out" again at night. Others explode or burn to ash.

Breeding: How do they multiply? Do they need to turn you on purpose or are they like Hollywood zombies and one bite always turn you? Maybe they can't multiply at all but can ONLY exist by curses? and so on.

Transformations: Bats, horses, wolves, rats, snakes, worms, silk worms, crows, ravens, old women, beautiful women, dark forms, beautiful forms etc etc...

How do you kill them? Beheading and buryng the body in a crossroads? Beheading and burying the head and the body in two DIFFERENT crossroads? Fire? Only cut out the heart and burn that but not the rest? Sunk at sea? Sunk under running water? and so on and so on.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited February 2021
    As others have noted, there are a lot of different types of vampires.

There's the old-world type vampires who are hairy, allergic to sunlight, and a sure-fire way to escape them is to throw a handful of coins or rice on the ground, because they have to stop and count/pick it all up. A wee bit OCD, those vampires. I do not play this kind, though if there was a way to, I probably would.

There's the classic Dracula vampires. They can go out in the sunlight for brief periods of time. They basically just want to make more vampires, and they're allergic to garlic. This seems to be the Sims version.

My favorite vampires are Anne Rice vampires. They're glamorous, tortured artist types for the most part. No sunlight, they go unconscious when the sun is up. Silver is a werewolf thing. Crosses mean nothing unless the vampire is religious, same as humans. I could go on, but I'll spare you. I mostly play this kind. I don't acknowledge Twilight.

TL/DR: Define vampire.
    Post edited by phantasmkiss on
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    ...because they have to stop and count/pick it all up. A wee bit OCD, those vampires.

Count-640x355.jpg
    ...Which is one of those things that makes Count Von Count having a hidden layer you only understand if you know the old myths.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • chonk_floofchonk_floof Posts: 36 Member
    Sims 4 is stealing everyone's money by making lots of tiny, tiny packs that should really be combined. For example, Realm of Magic, Vampires and Paranormal Stuff should have really come in one big pack.
    Whatever you are doing, always put 100% into it. Unless it's a blood donation.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Some vampires are obsessed with Counting. Easiest way to get away is to throw a fistful of beans or even better rice or grain on the ground, because the vampire cannot stop itself from pausing and counting every single grain you threw. If you're lucky the are still counting when the sun comes up.

Well, no I've remembered that hilarious episode of X-files ))

• ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited February 2021
    Ancaryvan wrote: »
    He is the The Origin of Twilight Vampire before Dracula exist. His name is George Gordon Byron, also known as Baron Lord Byron, English poet, author of Don Juan, the poem. Very early 1800, vampire starts as a romantic figure like Lord Byron. Greeks who know about the Independent War against Ottoman Empire should know him as their national hero. Quite sad actually, only a few Vampire fan knows about Byron compare to Vlad.

More pedantically, Byron was thought to have been the inspiration for the first Romantic Vampire archetype. It was John Polidori who actually wrote the story The Vampyre, and although it was falsely attributed to Byron, both he and Polidori denied that and said it was definitely Polidori's story (with the false attribution lingering for years). Part of the confusion may have been the fact that the vampire character, Lord Ruthven, was named after the main character of Lady Caroline Lamb's novel, Glenarvon, Clarence de Ruthven, and who was also pretty clearly based on Byron.

Ruthven was a ridiculously popular character and inspired a ton of other characters, including Stoker's Dracula (who was largely based on the historical figure Vlad Tepes III, Voivode of Wallachia, but the tropes that Stoker used largely came off how Polidori wrote Ruthven), and even ended up as a cameo in The Count of Monte Cristo! The Ruthvens are also a prominent Tzimisce family in Vampire the Masquerade, with Lambach Ruthven, specifically, being the sire of Dracula (Vlad Tepes, as I mentioned in my earlier post).

Interestingly, The Vampyre came about from the same contest on that dark and stormy night in Villa Diodati that saw Mary Shelley begin Frankenstein, so both modern vampires and the Frankenstein trope came about on the same night!
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I thought the first romantic vampire story that was used as an inspiration for the modern vampire movies was the Anne Rice's interview with the vampire.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I just play the silly Sims-style for all occults. When it comes to this game I like to keep it simple and play with the classic Sims humor. If I wanted vampires that are loyal to a specific lore/mythology, then I'd go play a fantasy or horror game.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    How can you play vampires realistically?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited February 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    How can you play vampires realistically?

Obviously you can't, as vampires aren't real. What the OP is asking is what set of rules each of us use when playing our vampires.

To the point of the thread, my vampire rules are:

-- They are undead supernatural beings. They die and are brought back into a state of unlife by whatever dark power makes vampires.

-- Sunlight is lethal to them, and they are compelled to spend their days sealed in their coffins.

-- They can only rest in a specific home location. They require native soil to do so.

-- They cannot enter a residence without explicitly being invited first, usually by phone call. After that, they may enter at will.

-- They do not have an aversion to garlic or silver.

-- Religious objects and locations repulse them. This includes shrines in Mt. Komorebi, and Selvadoradan artifacts. The Omiscan ruins in particular terrify them. They will not enter them, and are even visibly distressed when in eye shot of one.

-- Running water is no obstacle to them.

-- Vampires are afraid of fire.

-- They are biologically dead, so they cannot give birth, gain weight or lose weight.

-- They do not age.

-- Generational strength is in effect. A childe will be less powerful than their sire.

-- Powerful vampires can shape shift, aka use their dark form, mist form or bat form.

-- The Masquerade is law. Being caught feeding by mortals, or doing general vampire stuff when they're watching is illegal in vampire society. The penalty for breaking the Masquerade is harsh.

-- Vampires must feed from a living victim; no plasma fruit or packs. Also, all vampires have Ventrue style restrictions for feeding. For example, the vampire that is my avatar must feed from women who are college educated and of above average wealth. Another one can only feed on nightclub patrons. One must feed from men with high athletics skill. Plasma from sims outside of the restriction is unpalatable and is vomited up.

I try to keep a balance. Vampires live forever and have fantastic powers, but I try to counter that with some additional restrictions. It makes for some really fun gameplay. Stalking their prey is more interesting.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    As many others have said, since there are so many different legends and myths surrounding vampires, it's kind of hard to play "realistically." What may be realistic based on one culture's take on vampire, might conflict with another's.

There are a few things from my own research or from the various movies, tv shows, and books I've read that I consider a sort of "norm" for my interpretation of vampires, but they are by no means a gospel for all vampires.

What I consider a norm all the way across the board is

- Vampires need to rely on blood or "plasma" of some sort in order to survive.
    - An ongoing struggle of humanity vs monster. Whether to give into the monster inside or fight for the part that's still human.
    - Ageless/Being "frozen" in time at the age they were turned.

And well, keeping these few "rules" in mind, this is how I tend to play them.

Blood/Plasma

For good vamps, I tend to have them rely on Plasma Packs (usually of the "human" variety or frogs/fish instead of fruit) and only feed directly from a human with permission unless they have recently been turned story wise and therefore don't have as much control as older vampires might have. But I also use cheats out the wazoo so money isn't an issue for me. I also usually give them the "guilty drinker" weakness since it adds a layer of depth to them. (or as much "depth" as you can get with Sims 4 anyway.)

The more darkly inclined vampires, I do have hypnotize humans for a drink, and unless I want to play out a redemption arc for them (ie regaining their humanity or soul) they don't get the guilty drinker weakness, but rather sloppy drinker or even insatiable thirst.

Pregnancy

It's a bit weird for me for female vamps to get pregnant considering everything I've ever watched implies this is impossible without the use of magic (ie Caroline was able to carry children as a surrogate in Vampire Diaries after the remaining members of the Gemini coven transferred Jo's unborn children into Caroline's body to ensure their survival) and often part of backstory regarding females (ie Rosalie from Twilight wanted to have children but couldn't. Aphrodite in House of Night was relieved vampires couldn't have children.) But male vamps being able to produce is a bit different for me and I haven't really developed an opinion on that front yet.

Appearance
    This is more of a preference than a "rule" but...

I also tend to make vampires' human forms very attractive, because it just makes sense to me. How else are they going to be able to lure their victims to them? Sure they could always hypnotize them, but it's much easier when you're attractive.

Also, if they're turning someone... usually they're going to pick someone who is at least somewhat attractive. Or if they don't, it's because they don't want to live without someone (like a friend or family member.) So more often than not, their human form is attractive.

Their dark form, I haven't really established a "go to" yet.

Sunlight
    As for vulnerability to sunlight, I tend to vary that a bit.

Some vamps are vulnerable to sunlight and it can be lethal if they stay outside in direct sunlight too long. And others I make "Daywalkers." Although I usually reserve this for Dhampir (or half vampires) or vampires who have had some kind of magical intervention, be it through the regaining of their soul, some form of relic (ie Daylight Ring in the Vampire Diaries) or a spell/magical background. (I have a vampire who is originally from Sulani and has a connection to the island spirits. And because she didn't lose this connection when she died, she can still freely walk in the sun.

Quick disclaimer: not all ensouled vampires are Daywalkers and not all Daywalkers have a soul in my mythology. A more darkly inclined vampire could have very well threatened or blackmailed a spellcaster into helping them.

Wooden Stakes & wooden Bullets
    Are lethal to vampires. But you must shoot or stab them through the heart. If you miss their heart, you just injure them and make them mad.

Churches/Crosses/Holy Water
    I'm still developing this part of my mythology, but I tend to lean in favor of crosses repelling vampires and burning them if they have been blessed by a priest. Unless the vampire has regained their soul. I tend to associate this with more a soul dilemma as opposed to being undead. Same with churches and holy water. An ensouled vampire is not bothered by holy water and can enter a church. A vampire with no soul can't enter a church and holy water does bother them.

Garlic
    Isn't lethal to vampires, but it does repel them. Basically if you're mad at your vampire lover, this is a good way to punish them without harming them. They just... won't want to go near you. Lol.

Invitation
    I tend to lean in favor of vampires needing to be invited in before they can enter a home or car for the first time. But once they have been invited in, they can freely walk in as they please. So be cautious of who you invite in your home. Public places and a vampire's own/family home is exempt from this "rule." Those can be entered without invitation.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2021
    My vampires always have maroon coloured eyes, pointed ears, fangs and pale like the undead, most are attractive, sunlight is harmful, they are only friends with other vamps
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm still developing this part of my mythology, but I tend to lean in favor of crosses repelling vampires and burning them if they have been blessed by a priest. Unless the vampire has regained their soul. I tend to associate this with more a soul dilemma as opposed to being undead. Same with churches and holy water. An ensouled vampire is not bothered by holy water and can enter a church. A vampire with no soul can't enter a church and holy water does bother them.
    In all Vampyric Literature, Catholic is always the faction against Vampire creature, there is no mentioning about how Orthodox interact with Vampire and always the Catholic cross that Vampire scare the most. What about Orthodox cross? What would Vampire react if they see the Orthodox cross?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Ancaryvan wrote: »
    In all Vampyric Literature, Catholic is always the faction against Vampire creature, there is no mentioning about how Orthodox interact with Vampire and always the Catholic cross that Vampire scare the most. What about Orthodox cross? What would Vampire react if they see the Orthodox cross?

Ooh. I actually haven't heard or read anything about there being a difference between Catholic versus Orthodox cross but this is actually rather intriguing. And something I defintely have to think about now.

• eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I have vampires (usually adults/elders) that are more the type to sleep in coffins, live in crypts, die by sunlight, and feed off sims. Then I have young adult vampires that are more "normal" where they sleep in normal beds, have normal houses, and don't feed off sims. But I give them all pale/white skin and all the markings of a vampire. I just make a mix of both, because it's nice to play vampires sometimes that are "undercover" if you will.

• AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    I'm making my Vampires based on clans from Vampire the Masquerade. You can google it if you want to know more about the lore of the game. There are 13 original clans that were progeny of the original Vampire, Cain. More clans were created later. Of course, I can't actually play out the attributes of each clan, but I am molding Sims around the basic idea of them through traits and the powers/weaknesses the best I can.

I have an Assamite. They are a Middle-Eastern clan who are essentially contract killers. They are cursed and cannot feed on their own.
    I'm still working on the perfect Toredor couple. Toredor are highly artistic and addicted to beauty. This can be their downfall because while "under the spell" of beholding something they are mesmerized by, they may fail to protect themselves from sunlight or other dangers.
    Using mods, I will also create Tremere clan members. These are the Vampires that use blood magic, so they will need to be hybrids.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif