Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A new pack type, the "Kit" is coming. Aka "Sims 3 store, 5 bucks for two chairs" is here

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    Ah nice, this is probably how they'll nickle and dime those of us who want bands in their game "Band Kit" $5 and you'll get a Bass and Drum set.
    Maybe they'll bring back a Katy Perry Kit too? LOL

This is a little off topic, but it annoys me that the real Katy Perry's outfit is way cuter than the Sim Katy Perry's outfit. They couldn't recreate her costume any better than that? This says a lot about the dramatic range of content they sell to us. Some of it is great, but a lot of it is lazy.

I'm still feeling pretty annoyed and worried about kits. I said this in another post, but I'm fine with them adding stuff like vacuum cleaners and dust/dust bunnies as a kit item because it's a niche item that a small group of people would want. However, I'm worried they're going to start putting highly requested items in kits or pulling a My First Pet move where they create DLC for a DLC that should have included the content to begin with. The vacuum kit appears to come with three different vacuums and the dust feature. I counted the kitchen items, and it looks like there is about 10 or 12 new items. The clothing might be 12 items, but I can't tell which outfits are whole body and which are separates.

Also, I decided to visit the Sims 3 Store today to see how much it costs to purchase Sim Points. I shouldn't have done that because it brought back the seething anger I felt back then. It costs $40 for 5,000 points? Are you kidding me?! I need to log out before I say anything truly hateful.
    Yep got to love those microtransactions. I am a business grad, so learned a lot about how business get money from people easily and microtransactions are one of the major marketing ploys that people fall for. Just interesting the timing of these kits with the majority of Simmers being unemployed. No way Simmers are going to be able to afford that over putting food on the table.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited February 2021
    Ah nice, this is probably how they'll nickle and dime those of us who want bands in their game "Band Kit" $5 and you'll get a Bass and Drum set.
    Maybe they'll bring back a Katy Perry Kit too? LOL

This is a little off topic, but it annoys me that the real Katy Perry's outfit is way cuter than the Sim Katy Perry's outfit. They couldn't recreate her costume any better than that? This says a lot about the dramatic range of content they sell to us. Some of it is great, but a lot of it is lazy.

I'm still feeling pretty annoyed and worried about kits. I said this in another post, but I'm fine with them adding stuff like vacuum cleaners and dust/dust bunnies as a kit item because it's a niche item that a small group of people would want. However, I'm worried they're going to start putting highly requested items in kits or pulling a My First Pet move where they create DLC for a DLC that should have included the content to begin with. The vacuum kit appears to come with three different vacuums and the dust feature. I counted the kitchen items, and it looks like there is about 10 or 12 new items. The clothing might be 12 items, but I can't tell which outfits are whole body and which are separates.

Also, I decided to visit the Sims 3 Store today to see how much it costs to purchase Sim Points. I shouldn't have done that because it brought back the seething anger I felt back then. It costs $40 for 5,000 points? Are you kidding me?! I need to log out before I say anything truly hateful.
    Yep got to love those microtransactions. I am a business grad, so learned a lot about how business get money from people easily and microtransactions are one of the major marketing ploys that people fall for. Just interesting the timing of these kits with the majority of Simmers being unemployed. No way Simmers are going to be able to afford that over putting food on the table.

I can only speak for myself, as a consumer. I'm more or less on bugdet and I would like to have better and bigger content for my hard earnt money, because playing sims is my hobby.

These dlcs, especially the latest expansions and gamepacks, are somewhat a lackluster of content. They cost 40 and 20 Euro without a sale, this is very expensive and I disappointed how few things are in there compared to the sims 2. They feel like a waste of money for me.

Now these kits offer almost nothing for x money.The text you have quoted mentioned the sims3 store. I rarely remember it, but then I was also shocked from the price ranges and I never bought something from it.

Now these kits with just a few items would take the same route. Guessing the price scheme it would be 5 Euro for just a handful of items. We are talking from ea, they give nothing for free.

I guess I will ignored these kit completely and spare money for the next disappointing expansion pack. The kits fell in my opinion in the same category of tricking consumers (like new formula for the higher price with lesser weights) and it's simply unethical in my eyes, especially in this crises. But I'm just one voice and I will be ignored easily by ea, because there will be enough people who like to spent money in it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Daravi wrote: »

I can only speak for myself, as a consumer. I'm more or less on bugdet and I would like to have better and bigger content for my hard earnt money, because playing sims is my hobby.

These dlcs, especially the latest expansions and gamepacks, are somewhat a lackluster of content. They cost 40 and 20 Euro without a sale, this is very expensive and I disappointed how few things are in there compared to the sims 2. They feel like a waste of money for me.

Now these kits offer almost nothing for x money.The text you have quoted mentioned the sims3 store. I rarely remember it, but then I was also shocked from the price ranges and I never bought something from it.

Now these kits with just a few items would take the same route. Guessing the price scheme it would be 5 Euro for just a handful of items. We are talking from ea, they give nothing for free.

I guess I will ignored these kit completely and spare money for the next disappointing expansion pack. The kits fell in my opinion in the same category of tricking consumers (like new formula for the higher price with lesser weights) and it's simply unethical in my eyes, especially in this crises. But I'm just one voice and I will be ignored easily by ea, because there will be enough people who like to spent money in it.
    I prefer quality over quantity too. I think why EA has been able to get away with more and more micortransactions over the years is the community has let them and encouraged it somewhat. I have noticed a huge quality decrease from the Sims 2 with the introduction of stuff packs until the Sims 4 with multiple DLC types now. I think they are preparing for the MMO attempt again with the Sims 5. Doesn't really make a difference to me because they'll just end up burning out their customers like they did with SimCity. No loss to me personally. Why I like being a variety gamer, I have options if EA's experiments on the Maxis franchises fail again.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ImSandsImSands Posts: 332 Member
    I for one am intrigued by this concept. For example, I had absolutely no interest in the laundry gameplay mechanic (don't use it at all, hate it in fact) but I bought the pack because I really liked the CAS. I would have been happy to pay for only the CAS items, and skip both BB and gameplay. So if this Kits concept basically lets me cherry pick on that level, I'm all for it. Also, I'm ready to shell out some euros for buyable worlds. I need more worlds in my game.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Let’s just blame the introduction of these TS4 Kits on every simmer who once bought items from the TS2 & TS3 store.

*raises hand*

Guilty.

If you never did, you can go ahead and complain about them with a clear conscience.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Let’s just blame the introduction of these TS4 Kits on every simmer who once bought items from the TS2 & TS3 store.

*raises hand*

Guilty.

If you never did, you can go ahead and complain about them with a clear conscience.

I never had, so i will carry all the complaints please and thank you! *cracks knuckles, clears throat* 😂😂
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member

*raises hand*

Guilty.

Guilty. I have everything from the Sims 2 and Sims 3 store. And don't regret any of it.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Genkider wrote: »
    I like how even the title of the thread is biased when we don't know anything about these kits lol. I'll wait until they officially reveal them to make an opinion.

I feel like there isn't really much else people need to know, it's micro transactions. They're making little sets of items and selling them. Official details and how much they're gonna charge for them doesn't really make a difference unless they're free (which let's be honest they won't be)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

*raises hand*

Guilty.

I never did but I wanted to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

*raises hand*

Guilty.

Guilty. I have everything from the Sims 2 and Sims 3 store. And don't regret any of it.

wow cool @simgirl1010
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'm really excited for the vacuum actually, judge away all you like. :D

Anything to make my sims lives harder and not an easy utopia is welcome, and that's why I like laundry too.

i like sims having harder life and mess but i don't really like to add machines in my sims house so i wish it still has different ways to clean than just vacuums

True I really want sims to clean and scrub the classic way!!

Speaking of, I know the platforms are cool and all and common in actual Japanese homes but they make Roombas unusable. I am seriously thinking of removing all platforms in my Snowy Escape homes.

The runbas go up and down the platforms for me, not sure why you're having an issue.

I think it's fine as long as a sim can step off it, which makes sense.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm going to hold off on a full opinion until we know more, but I personally loved the Sims 3 store concept. I had a ton of fun on the sims 3 forums and made some very good friends, many of whom I'm still in touch with today. We spent most of our time in the gifting forum, running and entering contests, treating people on their birthdays, doing flashmob giftings (not just store content, but creations too) and it was one of the nicest online communities I have ever been a part of. We self-policed against beggars, rudeness, to pretty good effect. I laughed, I cried, I got that all-too precious dopamine hit on both giving and receiving of gifts... If there was a way to bring that that community vibe I'd be all over it like a rash.

I never really understand all the anger around Sims 4 (I still play a lot of games, so maybe I'm more forgiving of the game - or maybe I accept that as a piece of media content, I've had my money's worth and anything extra I "choose" to spend is on me). Sure we got frustrated with the Sims 3 too (and the store pricing was definitely questionable at times), but we looked past it most of the time since we had fun and we had each other. Ah....the good old days of the intranet...*goes back to rocking with her crochet in the corner*

[removed profanity]
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I never bought anything from the sims 2 or 3 store because it was overpriced and I was a kid/teen during the sims 2 and a poor young adult for sims 3. I do like the look of these kits though. Especially vacuuming and the kitchen but they would have to be for 5 dollars or less to get me to buy. I'll wait and see what EA has to say before I make any judgements.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I never bought anything from the Sims 2 or 3 store because I was satisfied with what I got in the packs. It’s kind of ironic because now I’m rarely satisfied with the packs in Sims 4 but I don’t see anything appealing in the kits just yet.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I dont understand why people are this annoyed about it, this isnt going to affect expansions and game packs and guess what you dont have to buy it, nobody forces you to buy anything, I'm not soo bothered about it because if I dont like them, I wont buy them, its really that simple for me, I personally think of those as a little bit extra that's all

This, exactly this. Who has goon squads from EA showing up at their home forcing them to buy anything if they don’t want it. As I said on another thread, this game is my primary hobby and I welcome anything that allows me to customize and expand it. I will more than likely end up with all three of these in my game in fairly short order, others will skip them entirely and that’s cool too. EA’s goal is to entertain and make profits doing it. It’s capitalism, they aren’t harming anyone with these packs. It’s a choice, buy them or don’t. It’s that simple.

@Pamtastic72 Again, bigger picture. Some people see the franchise becoming more and more cash-grabbing. The packs we get often lack stuff we could have gotten but were included in smaller pack My first Pet stuff being the best example. Some people wanted small pets in the Cats and Dogs expansion and not have to pay more money to get them.
    Some people just don't want to support this because it might make EA think they can get away with anything and they can charge us for anything they want. The gaming industry is headed in that direction. Games are becoming more and more empty because companies want to make DLC to charge extra.
    I understand this is your hobby and you are allowed to do whatever you want. But it's not only about you. Some people care to see the long-term effects that it has when we enable this kind of behaviort. Especially on other simmers who play the game.

If you don't agree nobody forces you to but I'm trying to make you understand why some people see the bigger picture and not see only their own enjoyment.

Hope you understand it now.

What I understand is there’s never going to be a utopian world were capitalist corporations skip out on making an extra 10 cents out of sheer benevolence. It’s why they have to be regulated and severely penalized into maintaining health and safety standards for their workforce and the surrounding community. They will not do it on their own out of some sense of community or caring because every safety and environmental protection safeguard implementation costs them profits, so they have to be threatened via regulation and penalties in order to get them to comply.

These little packs however do not threaten anyone’s wellbeing or health, they aren’t detrimental to the environment either. Are they a cash grab? Absolutely, because that’s what companies like EA do. Thursday we basically got an entire stuff pack for free, are you telling me there are a ton of games out there that just lavish gifts on their players? Because to be honest EA/Maxis does give us a decent amount of freebies at least once a year, and sometimes more often than that. I am willing to bet it’s pretty rare. But overall yes, they’re going to try to seduce us into opening our wallets and parting with our cash, but at the same time we are free to walk away cash in hand.

My hope with these smaller kits is twofold. I hope by putting some minor assets into these kits it frees up the ability to add more gameplay mechanics to the bigger packs. I also hope it’s a way for the dollhouse/realism player to get the stuff for BB and CAS they want without having to buy bigger pack themes they dislike only to band together on here and Twitter and harass the devs into nerfing the gameplay features in those packs because “ they aren’t realistic” or they “break immersion”. Because I have paid $20.00 - $40.00 for a game/expansion pack too many times now only to have $10.00 - $20.00 worth of key features scrubbed out in a subsequent patch because someone who hates vampires brought a pack entitled Vampires so they could have Victorian style furniture and clothes.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

*raises hand*

Guilty.

I guess I'm guilt free! I never bought anything from either of the stores!

So, I guess I can complain as much as I want :D
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    If they end up releasing kits right after another pack containing content that could have been in that pack, like MFPS, then that will get really obnoxious really fast. But I'm not against DLC for older DLC, and kits are actually a better option for that sort of thing than stuff packs.

If kits include aspirations and traits and things and not just objects then they could use a kit to add a bit more depth to the aliens with more sixam related objects, traits that can define how your aliens use their powers or even a new power or two, traits that dictate how your non-alien sims react to aliens (or occults in general), etc. Or they could make a kit of new display items for retail and some business related aspirations or lot traits. GTW is old, they're not going to give us free stuff to enhance content that not everyone owns, so it's either DLC for DLC or no improvement at all on the old themes. I'd rather spend a few dollars to enhance what I already own than pay stuff pack prices.

They should definitely not make kits for things that should be game packs but they don't want to make one so they just throw a kit at the fans who want that theme. But there are some things that really are small enough in scope that unless they find a way to fit them into a broader pack theme we're not going to get them at all.

For instance pool tables. They didn't give us pool tables in Get Together or Discover University, and it's too late for that to be changed now. If they never make another theme they would make sense in, I'd appreciate a chance to buy just the pool table. I'd also take a pool hall stuff pack similar to Bowling Stuff but lately stuff packs have been getting bigger with broader themes and more gameplay so I'm not sure they'd make such a limited theme stuff pack now.

So far I'm not upset with what they've shown. Yes, cool kitchen stuff should have had more kitchen stuff, but it's several years old and I'm not convinced this country kitchen pack is stuff they specifically held out of that pack so they could sell it separately later. Fitness stuff is also older, and only contained certain styles of workout clothes. Sure, they could wait until they make a sports themed pack and release these outfits then, or they could sell this kit now and add even more clothes if and when they get to sports. The vacuum kit even appears to have gameplay items, not just stuff, which I did not expect to see in kits at all. And while it could have been added to any previous DLC where chores were a related theme, they weren't an integral part of any theme that has been done.

The big thing will be the price vs content though. The vacuum one sounds worth $3-5 dollars based on the depth in the description, while the other two seem like just clothes and stuff and I probably would not spend $5 on that. Will they have different prices depending on size? Or is there more equal content that just hasn't been announced yet?
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member

*raises hand*

Guilty.

Guilty as charged although I was also gifted a lot from my lovely simming friends as well. <3
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    The Sims 3 Store... those were the days!

Monthly excitement, lots of chatter in the forums, gifting, receiving, complete-your-set freebies... and remember that big hoo har where a number of people got caught stealing a huge amount of simpoints? Lol. They gifted so much away, I guess EA had no chance of recovering that stuff.

But, yeah, I pretty much ended up with all of the store by the end of that era, though my enthusiasm for it kinda died when I heard the Sims 4 was due for release.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited February 2021
    I dont understand why people are this annoyed about it, this isnt going to affect expansions and game packs and guess what you dont have to buy it, nobody forces you to buy anything, I'm not soo bothered about it because if I dont like them, I wont buy them, its really that simple for me, I personally think of those as a little bit extra that's all

This, exactly this. Who has goon squads from EA showing up at their home forcing them to buy anything if they don’t want it. As I said on another thread, this game is my primary hobby and I welcome anything that allows me to customize and expand it. I will more than likely end up with all three of these in my game in fairly short order, others will skip them entirely and that’s cool too. EA’s goal is to entertain and make profits doing it. It’s capitalism, they aren’t harming anyone with these packs. It’s a choice, buy them or don’t. It’s that simple.

@Pamtastic72 Again, bigger picture. Some people see the franchise becoming more and more cash-grabbing. The packs we get often lack stuff we could have gotten but were included in smaller pack My first Pet stuff being the best example. Some people wanted small pets in the Cats and Dogs expansion and not have to pay more money to get them.
    Some people just don't want to support this because it might make EA think they can get away with anything and they can charge us for anything they want. The gaming industry is headed in that direction. Games are becoming more and more empty because companies want to make DLC to charge extra.
    I understand this is your hobby and you are allowed to do whatever you want. But it's not only about you. Some people care to see the long-term effects that it has when we enable this kind of behaviort. Especially on other simmers who play the game.

If you don't agree nobody forces you to but I'm trying to make you understand why some people see the bigger picture and not see only their own enjoyment.

Hope you understand it now.

What I understand is there’s never going to be a utopian world were capitalist corporations skip out on making an extra 10 cents out of sheer benevolence. It’s why they have to be regulated and severely penalized into maintaining health and safety standards for their workforce and the surrounding community. They will not do it on their own out of some sense of community or caring because every safety and environmental protection safeguard implementation costs them profits, so they have to be threatened via regulation and penalties in order to get them to comply.

These little packs however do not threaten anyone’s wellbeing or health, they aren’t detrimental to the environment either. Are they a cash grab? Absolutely, because that’s what companies like EA do. Thursday we basically got an entire stuff pack for free, are you telling me there are a ton of games out there that just lavish gifts on their players? Because to be honest EA/Maxis does give us a decent amount of freebies at least once a year, and sometimes more often than that. I am willing to bet it’s pretty rare. But overall yes, they’re going to try to seduce us into opening our wallets and parting with our cash, but at the same time we are free to walk away cash in hand.

My hope with these smaller kits is twofold. I hope by putting some minor assets into these kits it frees up the ability to add more gameplay mechanics to the bigger packs. I also hope it’s a way for the dollhouse/realism player to get the stuff for BB and CAS they want without having to buy bigger pack themes they dislike only to band together on here and Twitter and harass the devs into nerfing the gameplay features in those packs because “ they aren’t realistic” or they “break immersion”. Because I have paid $20.00 - $40.00 for a game/expansion pack too many times now only to have $10.00 - $20.00 worth of key features scrubbed out in a subsequent patch because someone who hates vampires brought a pack entitled Vampires so they could have Victorian style furniture and clothes.

21 Items and you call that an entire stuff pack for free? It sure is nice but :* ...

Anway i just think about the target audience or about the ones that want it but can not afford it and are missing out on the fun, beeing constantly reminded of what they are missing out and i think about how many tutorials there were/is to download store content for free And can we blame them at this point?!

A Game Changer/ Simmer that usually gets the DLCs for free and most likely will get these Kits for free is sharing his opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RigeJIPfalY&amp;ab_channel=IronSeagull

Has anybody checked on LGR that didnt even review the paranormal Stuff pack. Ralf just turned in his grave.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Just because some people are fine with paying more, they think that they are better than people who DON'T want to pay more. Then, when the price gets higher and the quality slowly gets lower, they get all righteous and like "Oh, how dare they lower quality and raise prices?!"

The idea of a Kit is a good one, but I just don't trust EA with this kind of thing. We've seen how they treat microtransactions before.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    Bastet wrote: »
    Vaccuum cleaners and tracksuits, huh? They're already very unpleasant items irl and their pixelated versions are gonna be sold for 5 dollars. EA is a bad joke.

That's the real housewives of Scotland you just described 🤣 wit ye trying tae say ? 😂 @Bastet

@Nikkih I'd totally buy the real housewives of Scotland if it was a game pack :D Much more exciting than many EA GPs out there (Batuu I'm looking in your direction :| )
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Just because some people are fine with paying more, they think that they are better than people who DON'T want to pay more. Then, when the price gets higher and the quality slowly gets lower, they get all righteous and like "Oh, how dare they lower quality and raise prices?!"

The idea of a Kit is a good one, but I just don't trust EA with this kind of thing. We've seen how they treat microtransactions before.

I know it was not directly to me, but I want to say this.
    Even so I may be fine with paying more, if I really like what I am buying. I still never think that I am "BETTER", than people who aren't fine to pay more.

Nothing else, just had to say that :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

I get quite the opposite impression. That those who are willing to purchase additional packs are viewed as suckers, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, foolish, irresponsible, mindless, etc.