Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The grand sequel to: "The first one to page 100 wins!"

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Today's Q Q is:
    Gonna be some kinda 'plug' for you to promote/suggest us a brand of item (electronic, food, clothes, etc.) that you swear by or is the best that you've used that you would totally recommend.

ok. I've had this for over 15 years, used it nearly daily, and only recently replaced the cutting blade. Just about the most convenient, versatile, indispensable kitchen tool, after my chef's knife, whetstone, and steel. It's pronounced "Ben-ree-nah" not "Ben Riner' because it means 'convenient, easy' or that which makes something convenient and easy, in Japanese. And it lives up to its name. My husband is terrified of it. LOL

Ms10TMTh.jpg

Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    Gonna be some kinda 'plug' for you to promote/suggest us a brand of item (electronic, food, clothes, etc.) that you swear by or is the best that you've used that you would totally recommend.

ok. I've had this for over 15 years, used it nearly daily, and only recently replaced the cutting blade. Just about the most convenient, versatile, indispensable kitchen tool, after my chef's knife, whetstone, and steel. It's pronounced "Ben-ree-nah" not "Ben Riner' because it means 'convenient, easy' or that which makes something convenient and easy, in Japanese. And it lives up to its name. My husband is terrified of it. LOL

Ms10TMTh.jpg

My mom is terrified by it too. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    Q Q: (without getting too personal)

Woo! 21 years old! What were y'all doing when you were 21?

I was working at 2 SHELL gas station, as a janitor. Not the most glamour job, but it was making money for me. This was just before I went to work at the vet clinic (much better job)!

Well, I'm currently taking a semester off of school...doing some more self-study on Japanese and just kinda kicking around the house because I can't get a job with all the covid restrictions :sweat_smile:
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
    Fun fact: I've blasted this song so much that even my mom knows how to sing the chorus. #prouddaughter 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDDqfQg5Nw
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member

I was working at 2 SHELL gas station, as a janitor. Not the most glamour job, but it was making money for me. This was just before I went to work at the vet clinic (much better job)!

Well, I'm currently taking a semester off of school...doing some more self-study on Japanese and just kinda kicking around the house because I can't get a job with all the covid restrictions :sweat_smile:

Looks like you missed the most recent QQ and I must have missed this one. So I'll give it a go.

21 is kind of a blur. I was in uni. Lived in a very bad situation. Fencing was my outlet. Ironically, I bulked up so much under the rigorous training (under an Olympic medalist) that it started causing me trouble. I was strong enough to numb an opponent's arm or cause them to drop their saber, but I was getting water on the knee and nerve problems in my feet. But after skidding on my knees during a tournament, I got bone swelling and that was the end of that.

What are you using to study Japanese, then, Bella?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

Looks like you missed the most recent QQ and I must have missed this one. So I'll give it a go.

21 is kind of a blur. I was in uni. Lived in a very bad situation. Fencing was my outlet. Ironically, I bulked up so much under the rigorous training (under an Olympic medalist) that it started causing me trouble. I was strong enough to numb an opponent's arm or cause them to drop their saber, but I was getting water on the knee and nerve problems in my feet. But after skidding on my knees during a tournament, I got bone swelling and that was the end of that.

For Japanese I still have the books I used in my college classes, Genki and Basic Kanji Book, but I don't really care for the way that book teaches kanji, so I bought Kanji Look and Learn recently. Beyond the books, I'm just using online resources...
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member

For Japanese I still have the books I used in my college classes, Genki and Basic Kanji Book, but I don't really care for the way that book teaches kanji, so I bought Kanji Look and Learn recently. Beyond the books, I'm just using online resources...
    What's wrong with the way the book teaches Kanji?
    sunman502 wrote: »

I just don't particularly care for the way it goes about teaching it, and there are only one or two worksheets within the book which I didn't find overly helpful in remembering the actual kanji (my professor made me retake kanji tests several times :sweat_smile: ), but this other book that I bought has a separate workbook that goes in-depth more, a bit more in line with the Genji workbook. I think it's mostly personal preference, but so far, I like the Kanji Look and Learn book better then the Basic Kanji Book.
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Today's Q Q is:
    Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?

Yeah, cuz I tend to get nervous and stutter or forget to ask some stuff that I wanted to cuz I would want the call to end as soon as possible.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?

On notepad, yes. I'll be writing down the important things to ask \ talk about on the phone so I don't forget. Of course, you are asking "Why not text"? Kinda hard to do when you're talking on your phone and try to text in the middle of a conversation!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Yeah, cuz I tend to get nervous and stutter or forget to ask some stuff that I wanted to cuz I would want the call to end as soon as possible.

I don’t call people all that often, so no. I do not plan what I’m going to say
    Today's Q Q is:

Depends on who I'm calling. If it's a friend or family member, then no. But if it's business related like a doctor's office or the bank, then yeah. Back when I was doing recruitment calls for swim I'd have a notepad and write stuff down to ask and then write down what the coach said in response, but that's a bit different.
    7dW3gu7.gif
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

I usually do, yeah. I have a lot of phone call anxiety.I definitely prefer texting.
    edited February 2021
    My boi. 😂 😂
    75e60a5ee61bdf0504736835d1c4e9c3858de505.gifv
    have-you-seen-my-son-2914761.png
    FwDXXd5.gif

I just don't particularly care for the way it goes about teaching it, and there are only one or two worksheets within the book which I didn't find overly helpful in remembering the actual kanji (my professor made me retake kanji tests several times :sweat_smile: ), but this other book that I bought has a separate workbook that goes in-depth more, a bit more in line with the Genji workbook. I think it's mostly personal preference, but so far, I like the Kanji Look and Learn book better then the Basic Kanji Book.
    Yeah, having one or two worksheets in a language book does pose a bit of a problem in trying to remember words and how they are used in a sentence. I have a book on Chinese characters. This book shows you the character and teaches you how to speak that word in Chinese. Since you know a little bit of Japanese. What dialect is Nihon Buyo? Is It Kanji , Genji or what? You need not explain what Nihon Buyo is to me since I already know. I just don't know what dialect Nihon Buyo is. And to those whom don't know what Nihon Buyo is, it's a form of Japanese dance.

Yeah, having one or two worksheets in a language book does pose a bit of a problem in trying to remember words and how they are used in a sentence. I have a book on Chinese characters. This book shows you the character and teaches you how to speak that word in Chinese. Since you know a little bit of Japanese. What dialect is Nihon Buyo? Is It Kanji , Genji or what? You need not explain what Nihon Buyo is to me since I already know. I just don't know what dialect Nihon Buyo is. And to those whom don't know what Nihon Buyo is, it's a form of Japanese dance.

Ah, Genki is just the title of the book :sweat_smile: in Japanese, "genki" actually means "healthy".

I've heard of Kabuki Buyo before, which is a type of dance, so I would assume that Nihon Buyo is just "Japanese dance", because "nihon" means "Japanese" (at least in Japanese, that's what it means, such as "nihonjin" means "Japanese people" or "nihongo" means "Japanese language"). Here, I found a Wikipedia page on Buyo that might be useful. Apparently Kabuki is a genre of Buyo, but Buyo doesn't refer to all of Japanese dancing...
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Today's Q Q is:
    When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?

I don't know if I actually sing TO myself but I usually just sing for fun (or even lip sync). Weirdly enough, I don't sing to myself to keep myself calm or something. But the last time I sang was last evening. XD
    And I don't think I've sung to anyone too.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Today is my Mom's birthday! :) I love my mom!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

I don't know if I actually sing TO myself but I usually just sing for fun (or even lip sync). Weirdly enough, I don't sing to myself to keep myself calm or something. But the last time I sang was last evening. XD

Yesterday morning. I think it was Hero by Weezer. I was listening to music while working on stats and I sang a bit to some of the songs.
  • cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member

Oh wow! Both of our moms have the same birthday!

Happy birthday to your mom!
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Today's Q Q is:

I was just humming/singing a moment ago :sweat_smile: it'd be a strange day when I don't sing, I think :joy:
    7dW3gu7.gif

Ah, Genki is just the title of the book :sweat_smile: in Japanese, "genki" actually means "healthy".

I've heard of Kabuki Buyo before, which is a type of dance, so I would assume that Nihon Buyo is just "Japanese dance", because "nihon" means "Japanese" (at least in Japanese, that's what it means, such as "nihonjin" means "Japanese people" or "nihongo" means "Japanese language"). Here, I found a Wikipedia page on Buyo that might be useful. Apparently Kabuki is a genre of Buyo, but Buyo doesn't refer to all of Japanese dancing...
    According to the site that you have provided a link, and thank you for doing that. Buyo just means dance in Japanese. So Nihon Buyo just translates to Japanese Dance. I just looked up the meaning of Nippon and Nihon, both words are used to refer to Japan. But they also mean sun's origin.
    edited March 2021
    Today's Q Q is:
    If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either your mind or body of a 30-year-old version of yourself for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?

Body. My mind already kinda stinks anyway. Hahaa.
    FwDXXd5.gif

According to the site that you have provided a link, and thank you for doing that. Buyo just means dance in Japanese. So Nihon Buyo just translates to Japanese Dance. I just looked up the meaning of ❤️❤️❤️❤️ and Nihon, both words are used to refer to Japan. But they also mean sun's origin.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
    Today's Q Q is:
    If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either your mind or body of a 30-year-old version of yourself for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?

Body. My mind already kinda stinks anyway. Hahaa.

Neither :confused: I already have problems with both, and after seeing my great-grandmother spend the last three years of her life in a nursing home (she lived to be 90), I don't want to go through that myself.
    7dW3gu7.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top