Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We waited another 21 days for... nothing?

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited February 2021
    Forgeron wrote: »
    I knew it was only going to be new CASA and build and buuy assets, it was pretty obvious, but... wasn't like 21 creators into it? I think i counted only 8 or something liek that in the livestream, where are the rest of the stuff?

9 creators who together made 21 items, some made more than one.

They didn't even make items for it, most of the stuff they just took out of their old cc collections
    anniversary.png
    (AH00B's summer 2020 collection)

I'm honestly really confused what happened here. I would've thought these creators would be really excited to have their stuff in game and would've worked their a-- off to produce some of the best content they've ever made to show off and get in the game, but instead most of them did the absolute bare minimum and just submitted a couple random items from their back catalog. Like as someone who's followed these people for a long time, they make great sets on their blogs and put so much effort into creating good stuff, and it's clear they put nowhere near as much effort in here. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they were given 24 hours to work on it, as all of the stuff is just old content or very quick meshes that would've taken a day at most...
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Forgeron wrote: »
    I knew it was only going to be new CASA and build and buuy assets, it was pretty obvious, but... wasn't like 21 creators into it? I think i counted only 8 or something liek that in the livestream, where are the rest of the stuff?

9 creators who together made 21 items, some made more than one.

They didn't even make items for it, most of the stuff they just took out of their old cc collections
    anniversary.png
    (AH00B's summer 2020 collection)

I'm honestly really confused what happened here. I would've thought these creators would be really excited to have their stuff in game and would've worked their a-- off to produce some of the best content they've ever made to show off and get in the game, but instead most of them did the absolute bare minimum and just submitted a couple random items from their back catalog. Like as someone who's followed these people for a long time, they make great sets on their blogs and put so much effort into creating good stuff, and it's clear they put nowhere near as much effort in here. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that they were given 24 hours to work on it, as all of the stuff is just old content or very quick meshes that would've taken a day at most...

It might be as simple as they didn't get paid, which made some of them go "WOW I'll do it for the exposure" and others go "Oh well I'll throw something at them, then that've already made".

I can respect both, but if no money was involved the latter reaction is the more morally and intellectually correct one.
    NEVER. WORK. FOR. FREE., you are just being shafted, no matter if you are an "unpaid intern" or an "artist working for the exposure".

(Unless you are volunteering for charity of course).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Re bodyhair - I used Luumia's CC since 2017, and I frankly can't see how EA could do this better. So, I don't want EA to spend time on adding bodyhair, we already got that! Let them work on features we don't already have. Like well functioning nail polish for fingers and toes - I have CC for finger nails, but they normally conflict with jewelry etc so there are restrictions - besides I use only a couple swatches as most of them are too extreme - CAS slider compatibility + Hue would be a great improvement for them!
    Ok, console simmers might deserve bodyhair - but they would probably enjoy nail polish, too.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,364 Member
    The only thing I'm really disappointed with is that there was no fix for the constantly cooking issue.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I had about no expectations for anything good for the 21st anniversary. Boy was I massively wrong, I'm so excited for all this lmao.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited September 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    One of my biggest peeves with it is that they've been doing this whole performance for the past month of "We love our black players! Representation!" yet they didn't add a single thing for them in this update?

Like this would've been the perfect opportunity to get some good black hairs in the base game (as lets be honest there is none without buying extra packs) but they just didn't. AH00B, one of the creators involved has some great black hairstyles so I really don't understand why they didn't commission these hairstyles and instead just used a top and jeans combo from a set they made last summer.

1605c64351ae6e2bff7b657f3c42be6b57cd9c72.gifva4ab466e3979fcb9a70c382ec623a54476a40ec8.gifv

It just bothers me how they've been doing this incredibly performative show of supporting black players, yet they give them nothing

Amen 👏👏👏👏
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    PreCiious wrote: »

@PreCiious Am I the only one who thinks the people in this video are overreacting?

The first girl said "You cannot be black in the Sims 4". WHAT?! Of course you can be black, the variety of black skintones was very limited at first but saying you couldn't even be black is a flat-out lie.

Also then the other girl says "Oh, the eyebrows in this game are not great. I can never find my own eyebrow shape". These people do realize they are playing a video game right? Do you think I can 100% recreate my eyebrow shape? My eyelashes? My beauty marks?
    I can't even make my eyeshape exactly the same but I try to work with the game to make something closest to them. Who expects to be able to make a clone of themselves in a video game?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2021

@PreCiious Am I the only one who thinks the people in this video are overreacting?

The first girl said "You cannot be black in the Sims 4". WHAT?! Of course you can be black, the variety of black skintones was very limited at first but saying you couldn't even be black is a flat-out lie.

Also then the other girl says "Oh, the eyebrows in this game are not great. I can never find my own eyebrow shape". These people do realize they are playing a video game right? Do you think I can 100% recreate my eyebrow shape? My eyelashes? My beauty marks?
    I can't even make my eyeshape exactly the same but I try to work with the game to make something closest to them. Who expects to be able to make a clone of themselves in a video game?

the sims community in general love to over react on things, good or bad
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    My disappointment was they hyped a Livestream that didn't happen. First time, I realized I had the wrong expected time. When it was pointed out to me by another player, I glanced at my clock and it was time for it in my zone. Yet, all I got was a continuous loop of the same thing as before. Plus, a patch for items of cc is great, but I had to pull my Mods folder, yet again. Just when my game is going great, through no fault of my own (well, most of the time, anyway), something prevents me from playing my game. I made little to no progress yesterday, spending most of the time I had setting up a brand new game save to check my Mods. One. At. A. Time. Yeah, I'm furious. Today, no time. Tomorrow and Sunday, no time. I guess I'm addicted because I'm really upset I can't play right now.

I like the items/objects but at what price? MY TIME.

Thank you for marking the 21st anniversary in such a splendid and special way.

To the CC creators, I like your stuff, it's fabulous. I'm not railing against any of you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2021
    My disappointment was they hyped a Livestream that didn't happen. First time, I realized I had the wrong expected time. When it was pointed out to me by another player, I glanced at my clock and it was time for it in my zone. Yet, all I got was a continuous loop of the same thing as before. Plus, a patch for items of cc is great, but I had to pull my Mods folder, yet again. Just when my game is going great, through no fault of my own (well, most of the time, anyway), something prevents me from playing my game. I made little to no progress yesterday, spending most of the time I had setting up a brand new game save to check my Mods. One. At. A. Time. Yeah, I'm furious. Today, no time. Tomorrow and Sunday, no time. I guess I'm addicted because I'm really upset I can't play right now.

I like the items/objects but at what price? MY TIME.

Thank you for marking the 21st anniversary in such a splendid and special way.

To the CC creators, I like your stuff, it's fabulous. I'm not railing against any of you.

It was on Twitch, and it did happen. Five minutes late, but it happened.
    Last year the complaints were we only got 1 dodgy hot tub, now this year we get 21 new items FREE plus the announcement of the desperately requested bunk beds and now there’s endless complaints about all of that. I could never work on this game because I would’ve been long ago fired for saying/tweeting/posting things that aptly describe exactly what I think of the general sense of entitlement some people display.

EA had nothing to do with the items, and everything that's "free" is just free publicity and brownie points for them so you'll hopefully open your wallet for the next half-baked thing that's gameplay features keep your interest for a full hour at most.

Companies giving influencers free items is the same thing.
    Gordy wrote: »
    Last year the complaints were we only got 1 dodgy hot tub, now this year we get 21 new items FREE plus the announcement of the desperately requested bunk beds and now there’s endless complaints about all of that. I could never work on this game because I would’ve been long ago fired for saying/tweeting/posting things that aptly describe exactly what I think of the general sense of entitlement some people display.
    Just getting more items doesn't mean we're getting more quality items. A lot of the things we got are just more of the same stuff we already have, or nice but still very minor additions to the game. Especially since most of these creators are known for making bigger and better things, including things the base game is in desperate need of.

The bunkbed announcement itself was pretty well-received, actually. Just check the other threads and on other sites. At worst, people are ambivalent towards them.

We basically got a stuff pack for free yesterday, so I said what I said. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    One of my biggest peeves with it is that they've been doing this whole performance for the past month of "We love our black players! Representation!" yet they didn't add a single thing for them in this update?

Like this would've been the perfect opportunity to get some good black hairs in the base game (as lets be honest there is none without buying extra packs) but they just didn't. AH00B, one of the creators involved has some great black hairstyles so I really don't understand why they didn't commission these hairstyles and instead just used a top and jeans combo from a set they made last summer.

1605c64351ae6e2bff7b657f3c42be6b57cd9c72.gifva4ab466e3979fcb9a70c382ec623a54476a40ec8.gifv

It just bothers me how they've been doing this incredibly performative show of supporting black players, yet they give them nothing

The fact that you think EA "commissioned" these is the root of your problem. These are items the creators decided to make, they were not "commissioned" to do a specific thing. AKA the problem you have is with this specific content creator, not with EA.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I was feeling the hype only because I know how talented CC creators are and I was anticipating some of their more groundbreaking work. Fashion is subjective- you may see a cute new top, I just get flashbacks to my 6th grade picture from 1994. I didn’t need another matte lipstick (presented as glossy). Body hair, nails, a color slider for hair - those would have been amazing to get as official content. Why not those? I guess EA still has to support this content going forward and that’s just too much for them to take on?

Coming out of the woodwork after a 2 month hiatus- been too busy playing the 1.5 update for Stardew Valley - now THAT is an update!!
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    It actually makes a bit sad that some people are disappointed with the content or just don't like it. I really love every piece. I had my fun with the new CAS - made some outfits for female Sims and toddlers yesterday and this morning 12 outfits for male toddlers with the fabulous new jeans, that I will be using in my game - and today I had a closer look at the furniture and placed a few things in my Sims' homes. I don't care when these items were created. I limit my use of CC very strictly in TS4 and allow myself no BB CC (because I went absolutely nuts in TS3) and would have never added any of this to my game. But I really enjoy these pieces, instant classics.

h6QR6P4.jpg

I am also not concerned with whether the creators got paid or not, because it's none of my business. They are not children forced into labor, but talented, well-informed adults. And publicity converts into cash as well, with every view, follow and click.
    But again, I totally understand if the design/style of the items is not for everyone. I just hope that this is being received well enough overall to become a thing in the future, Simsontherope already commented on Twitter that he would be interested in contributing some items for male Sims next time around, which would be so awesome!
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm honestly really disappointed with the anniversary gift. Yesterday I said that I was slightly disappointed but I was kind of down playing it because I didn't want to spoil other peoples excitement for it.

I'm sure it's a great gift for anybody that builds or doesn't use CC in their game but being somebody that doesn't build and does uses custom content for CAS I feel quite left out. Mostly because the items added are old items that I already have had in my game for quite a while now. The whole gift just feels really lazy to me like they just passed off the work to cc creators. I know I'm once again being negative and it's a gift so I shouldn't complain and I'm sorry for it but that's just how I feel about it.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited February 2021

@SimmerGeorge
    Actually your not but its how they advertise the game these days and its too much at this point, but it was to be expected. This is why you create an alternative universe instead of trying to make it a tool for a safe space...

___

I guess it was too much for them too add additional Items, to honor BHM. They thought promoting some black Game Changers was enough... I mean gotta get these kits out.

I mean it was to be expected honestly, we all now how limited the sims 4 really is but maybe this was just the start. At least they acknowledged the passionate community or at least the cc community, i just wish they didnt made this their tagline for the 20th Birthday, because this is still a game that THEY have to work on and its been six years...

But i guess since they have to promote free patches in their DLCs as if it is a feature with the DLC now, i expect even less.

Island Living = off the grid
    sentiments = snowy escape

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    It actually makes a bit sad that some people are disappointed with the content or just don't like it.

Same. I was just hoping none of the creators showed up here on the forum and saw some of the disparaging comments. 😐
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm honestly really disappointed with the anniversary gift. Yesterday I said that I was slightly disappointed but I was kind of down playing it because I didn't want to spoil other peoples excitement for it.

I'm sure it's a great gift for anybody that builds or doesn't use CC in their game but being somebody that doesn't build and does uses custom content for CAS I feel quite left out. Mostly because the items added are old items that I already have had in my game for quite a while now. The whole gift just feels really lazy to me like they just passed off the work to cc creators. I know I'm once again being negative and it's a gift so I shouldn't complain and I'm sorry for it but that's just how I feel about it.

I will admit, that would have bummed me out as well. I only go CC window-shopping now - I have less than 90 CC items in my game, clothes, make-up and hairstyles combined, that I consider absolutely essential - but if I was using CC like I did in TS3, I would probably be in the same boat.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited February 2021

The fact that you think EA "commissioned" these is the root of your problem. These are items the creators decided to make, they were not "commissioned" to do a specific thing.

That's what I'm saying, they should have commissioned certain items. They're already working with the creators anyways so why not just pay for these items specifically?
    Post edited by Onverser on
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    It actually makes a bit sad that some people are disappointed with the content or just don't like it.

Same. I was just hoping none of the creators showed up here on the forum and saw some of the disparaging comments. 😐

@simgirl1010 Hey, when one puts themselves out there, one knows that there will be opinions. Most of it is just valid feedback from what I've seen.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021

I will admit, that would have bummed me out as well. I only go CC window-shopping now - I have less than 90 CC items in my game, clothes, make-up and hairstyles combined, that I consider absolutely essential - but if I was using CC like I did in TS3, I would probably be in the same boat.

One positive is that it’s a few less CC items in my game now. :D

One positive is that it’s a few less CC items in my game now. :D

Look at you, putting a positive spin on it! :)

we all try ...
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2021
    The BB items were nice and i'm never mad at new food in this game but the CAS items were disappointing to me. As a sims player whose favorite part of the game is making sims and doesn't really build much, I would've preferred more CAS options. I don't use make-up on my sims at all because I don't use it in real life so the blush and highlight are useless to me. I don't even get the point of the highlight and it just looks weird to me. (both in real life and in game :D) The tops and jeans we got were nice but nothing special. Probably wouldn't have noticed them if they didn't have the symbol on them. I do like the crows feet though.

Edit: Would've preferred a few new hairs, jeans that go past the ankle for men, or even body/facial hair for men.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Well I guess this post was inevitable. They've released the 21st anniversary update and we really didn't get anything to improve the game. Same old gameplay but now with a few new CC items.

I don't have CC in my game but when I heard about Lumia I researched him and saw he made body hair. We got crowsfeet added for our Sims presumably to lock body hair behind a future pack if they choose to include it at all.

I personally feel the team just passed off the anniversary to CC creators. Why put in the work when they could have someone else do it for them. That's the impression I get.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts is that you have very unrealistic expectations.

Body hair is an unrealistic expectation?

Geez. Aren't you usually in the positive simmer thread complaining that people get attacked for liking the sims 4, when you're the one doing the attacking here?

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, the cc creator didn't want to have them put in his body hair cc, because it's what he's known for, and what his patreons might be supporting him for?
    Or that just as likely, they're planning to add the bodyhair in an upcoming basegame update, once they (hopefully soon) do a werewolf pack.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Have you never heard the phrase, nothing in life is ever free? The money you paid is what's covering this "free" update.