Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kit Packs: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the price.
    Guess I'm irresponsible then. And there are a lot more important things that would keep me from sleeping at night than a kit pack for a video game.

Ditto, I’m just here putting cortisone on my itchy wallet until they tell me when I can purchase these. If I am responsible for the downfall of civilization then so be it. It’s not like I’m going to notice since I will be playing with my sims anyway.

@Pamtastic72 Go on then, keep making fun of non customer-friendly practices and some people's choice to not support these destructive and greedy practices because they care for this game and the gaming industry.
    You are allowed to do what you want afterall.

Sometimes in life you just need to laugh it off 😂 its stops you from getting angry, I refuse to get angry from a game @SimmerGeorge
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited February 2021
    Like alot of you, for me it depends on the content and the price. I don't own every pack just for the sake of it, I'll only buy when I'm interested in what it provides my game. So far, from the info I've seen released about the kits there is nothing I'm interested in yet, but maybe there will be things futher down the line.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Nikkih wrote: »
    Guess I'm irresponsible then. And there are a lot more important things that would keep me from sleeping at night than a kit pack for a video game.

Ditto, I’m just here putting cortisone on my itchy wallet until they tell me when I can purchase these. If I am responsible for the downfall of civilization then so be it. It’s not like I’m going to notice since I will be playing with my sims anyway.

@Pamtastic72 Go on then, keep making fun of non customer-friendly practices and some people's choice to not support these destructive and greedy practices because they care for this game and the gaming industry.

Sometimes in life you just need to laugh it off 😂 its stops you from getting angry @SimmerGeorge

@Nikkih I would have laughed if the comment hadn't been directed at my opinion that I voiced earlier in a pretty serious manner. I wish people wouldn't make fun of me caring so much about this franchise and the gaming industry.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Depends on the price.

Sometimes in life you just need to laugh it off 😂 its stops you from getting angry @SimmerGeorge

@Nikkih I would have laughed if the comment hadn't been directed at my opinion that I voiced earlier in a pretty serious manner. I wish people wouldn't make fun of me caring so much about this franchise and the gaming industry.

I'm not making fun at anyone, it's my outlook on life, very little angers me, I'm sorry you read it that way @SimmerGeorge
    edited February 2021
    Nay!

I'm not making fun at anyone, it's my outlook on life, very little angers me, I'm sorry you read it that way @SimmerGeorge

@Nikkih No you certainly weren't making fun of it. But the person I replied to, on the comment that you replied to me, was. Kinda complicated. :lol:
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the price.

@Nikkih No you certainly weren't making fun of it. But the person I replied to, on the comment that you replied to me, was. Kinda complicated. :lol:

Nothing wrong about being passionate about something and I can also understand your annoyance with these kits, I personally take games and life mostly with a pinch of salt unless its something serious like someone dies (but that's my character), if everyone was the exactly same it would be really boring and dull 😊 @SimmerGeorge
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Yay!

The future of the gaming industry is very low on my list of priorities. Practically non-existent. If a company releases content that I'm interested in then I'm going to purchase it. And that applies to all the games I play. Not just the Sims. I respect your opinion. I just happen to feel differently about it.
    edited February 2021
    Nay!

The future of the gaming industry is very low on my list of priorities. Practically non-existent. If a company releases content that I'm interested in then I'm going to purchase it. And that applies to all the games I play. Not just the Sims. I respect your opinion. I just happen to feel differently about it.

@simgirl1010 Sure, there's just no need to be laughing at someone with a different opinion as someone who replied to me did. Again you don't need to tell me that you feel differently about it again because I never doubted that, nor did I minimize it.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Nay!
    remember when expansions were complete and they didn't spread the themes out to nickle and dime us to death... I'm seriously fed up with this new money grab model.

I'm over it.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Nay!
    My thing is I just don't see a point in making the packs even smaller. The ones we have now aren't really that fleshed out as it is and they want to add an even smaller one to the mix? Anything to nickel and dime us. I don't like this concept at all.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Depends on the content.
    Here's my take .... I'm an adult, I work for anything I want to buy.

I have very little hobbies or interests that cost me money, I create CC for TS4 because that is my "hobby" which cost me nothing besides the initial investment of the base game almost 7 years ago, yet it has brought me lots of joy by feeding my creative juices, both inside the game ... by building houses, creating sims, playing out stories, or outside the game by modeling 3D assets and creating textures for those assets and enjoying seeing my own creations inside my game.

So, my point is .... I don't follow what other people tell me how/if I should or shouldn't spend my money on.

Back when I used to frequent bars many days a week, it was nothing for me to spend over $100 a night with absolutely nothing to show for it (besides a hangover the next day sometimes).

So if I want to spend the same amount of money for a "kit" for my game as I would on a cup of coffee or latte at some fancy cafe, then I will. At least the money spent on the "kit" I will still get enjoyment from it for years to come if I choose to keep playing TS4 (or any other game I invest in), unlike that cup of coffee that was gone within hours.

If you add up the base game plus all of the DLC I own, if it was bought at full price (which most of them I waited for a sale) and I own everything except for Batuu, that comes out to:

Basegame: $40
    10 EPs @ $40 each = 400
    8 GPs @ $20 each = $160
    18 SPs @ $10 each = $180

Total: $780

$780 Divided by 6.5 years: $120 a year
    $120 Divided by 12 months = $10 a month
    $10 Divided by 30 days average in a month = $0.3333 a day

I don't know of very many things you can get enjoyment out of that only costs $0.3333 a day.

For me the "kits" might be a good idea and a cheaper way to go for some things, I don't use a lot of the stuff that comes in packs but I buy the packs because there are things that I can/will use. So, if there are kits that I think I will use the majority of things in it, then that's worth it to me.

I am one of the rare people who didn't mind the TS3 store, I actually liked the option of being able to pick and choose what I wanted without being forced to buy an entire pack just because I liked a plant or a lamp.

Now ... am I happy with the formula that TS4 does things with smaller packs and content split up into more packs compared to the previous games? Absolutely not! And, I will always feel like what we get for our money now (and probably going forward for any new games in the future) compared to what we got in TS2 and TS3 is a complete and utter rip off!

But for me (because I don't play many other games regularly, I am stuck with how they do things.) I'm not going to "cut off my nose to spite my face" and boycott buying stuff from EA just because I don't like how they are doing things with this iteration. And until another Life Simulation game is released and there are other smiliar games to play, "boycotting" is not an option because that would make my life less enjoyable in my free time.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

@simgirl1010 Sure, there's just no need to be laughing at someone with a different opinion as someone who replied to me did. Again you don't need to tell me that you feel differently about it again because I never doubted that, nor did I minimize it.

@SimmerGeorge
    Do you realize that you may have “minimized” their opinion before they even had a chance to comment? Going by your belief, anyone who gives into buying a kit they’re interested in is “irresponsible” and not only potentially destroying the sims franchise but also the future of the gaming industry.
    In fact, you won’t be able to sleep at night if you gave into this kinda thing, therefore they probably shouldn’t either, right? In fact...perhaps it’s better that they’re a teeny weenie ashamed of themselves? Because, let’s be honest, why wouldn’t you think less of someone who destroyed something that you’re so passionate about?

Or did I misinterpret this whole thing? Either way, I’m not surprised by the responses you got.

I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I kicked a puppy real hard. But that makes sense, because no one should.
    Nay!
    @Chicklet453681 Yeah, that's totally acceptable. Some people decide if they will make a purchase based on if the feel like they will enjoy the product.
    On the other hand others try to judge the product by how much effort was put into it by the developers to create it and if that is reflected in the price.
    Additionally, there are people who make (or not make) purchases based on how these will after the game long-term or the gaming industry as a whole, so they try to be a more consious consumer.

At the end of the day everyone is allowed to decide for themselves. All the sides have pros and cons. It's just about what one prioritizes at this point.
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Or did I misinterpret this whole thing? Either way, I’m not surprised by the responses you got.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 If you read my post again you will see I tried to make it very clear that I was talking about me and me only. I said "In my opinion" and "to me" several times in order to avoid people feeling like I'm telling them to be the same way. So yeah I see no reason for this when I said "for me" several times.

So I don't see how voicing my opinion "minimized" any other opinions especially because I was not even replying to anyone. I said my own opinion.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Yay!

I don’t see this as non-customer friendly. I don’t go to movies, I don’t go to restaurants and this was pre-pandemic. I am here in my house all day caring for my elderly housebound mother and this game outside of tv and books is my only distraction and hobby. So I see this as very customer friendly because I welcome anything that expands the little world I built for myself inside my computer. It’s quite literally the only thing that keeps me sane. So it’s all about perspective I guess.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Nay!
    Now they want to nickel and dime us to death, like in TS3.
    edited February 2021
    Nay!

I don’t see this as non-customer friendly. I don’t go to movies, I don’t go to restaurants and this was pre-pandemic. I am here in my house all day caring for my elderly housebound mother and this game outside of tv and books is my only distraction and hobby. So I see this as very customer friendly because I welcome anything that expands the little world I built for myself inside my computer. It’s quite literally the only thing that keeps me sane. So it’s all about perspective I guess.

@Pamtastic72 Consious consumerism is not about the individual but also other people and also the long-term effects that are caused by it. While I respect what you're saying and I'm glad the Sims helped you in this difficult time, I was simply talking about something different which is caring about the industry practicing consumer-friendly behavior for everyone involved. That's what I want to preserve and this is why I'm not so into those kits.
    What you said, while it is great for you individually, is not really related to my point.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Depends on the price.
    AKA I don't care in the slightest.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    My take. I just buy the games I like. Buying kit packs looks ok to me if it keeps employees in work until a new iteration comes out.

It's not up to me up to change the gaming industry but their employees to work out themselves. They should unionise and not support makers who don't support unions. It'll take time but Actors did and it worked for them to a great extent and provided more stability and better pay. It's a new medium that needs to sort itself out.

I'm more sorry for those who work for the garment industries for a pittance, in other countries, They don't live in a super rich country that could well afford to pay them more but even then they have a job of sorts, probably all that's available for them and their families. Those are the people we should support to get equity. I joined a union in the 1960's and glad I did. <3

• IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the content.
    @Chicklet453681I love your post especially this part -
    Now ... am I happy with the formula that TS4 does things with smaller packs and content split up into more packs compared to the previous games? Absolutely not! And, I will always feel like what we get for our money now (and probably going forward for any new games in the future) compared to what we got in TS2 and TS3 is a complete and utter rip off!

But for me (because I don't play many other games regularly, I am stuck with how they do things.) I'm not going to "cut off my nose to spite my face" and boycott buying stuff from EA just because I don't like how they are doing things with this iteration. And until another Life Simulation game is released and there are other smiliar games to play, "boycotting" is not an option because that would make my life less enjoyable in my free time.

I feel the same way about The Sims. I have no social life due to my disability (even before Covid) except meeting my friend every 2 weeks (in the cinema or for lunch - before Covid, of course) so The Sims is really my only hobby.

So far, I'm only into the Country Kitchen Kit but I'll need to know what is in each of them before I buy. I definitely won't be buying the cleaning one though.

• RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Depends on the content.
    Might be interesting, like I'd love a functioning video camera like we had in ts3 and maybe a few specific things that elders might have, with babies you at least take out to bathe in the sink, or the baby playmat I think that one worked in ts3. Also a changing table and some of the other toddler items we got from the store maybe this would be a way to focus on stuff like that instead of a full pack. Maybe more transportation or a haul of clothes for guys and kids whatever I'm at least looking forward to what they could do smaller might mean they can provide more even if it was something that may have fit an existing pack. We'll see.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 If you read my post again you will see I tried to make it very clear that I was talking about me and me only. I said "In my opinion" and "to me" several times in order to avoid people feeling like I'm telling them to be the same way. So yeah I see no reason for this when I said "for me" several times.

So I don't see how voicing my opinion "minimized" any other opinions especially because I was not even replying to anyone. I said my own opinion.

I suppose I referred to your personal opinion of others who “irresponsibly” buy these packs and potentially kill the gaming industry. But that’s only me reading between the lines. No you did not direct this at anyone in particular.
    All I’m trying to say is don’t be surprised by the responses you got.

I agree that we have to remain conscious of some of the things we do, buy, support.

And then there are times when folks would love a vacuum cleaner in their game. One vacuum cleaner. I suppose they can express their excitement without feeling they’ve been sent on a consumerism guilt trip. It’s a virtual vacuum cleaner for crying out loud. It does less harm to the environment than my nail clippers. Which was also a fiver. And probably less fun.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Nay!
    At the moment, nah. Even if I end up buying into some of them, I won't be happy about it lol.

vacuum cleaners...T_T
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Nay!
    Part of it is that I am old.
    There is at least one generation of players who has never lived in a world WITHOUT micro transactions in 90% of games and therefore can't imagine why it would be bad, it is just normal to them.

It is even more evident in other countries; Korea for example has done it much longer than the US or Europe; I once brought up the issue not knowing the other two people I talked to were from SK and they literally didn't understand what I was going in about; it's just normal business practice to them.

I DO think this is a test bed for Sims 5; I am 100% sure that the base game of Sims 5 will be much much more lacking than Sims 4, but you will be able to buy individual mechanics, not to mention virtually all CAS items, like in the Sims 3 store. Or in a lot of mobile games.
    Basically a YA Sim will only have one of each kind of clothing, maybe in two different colors and if you want your Sim to have a jacket you'll have to buy it for real money. If you don't want all your houses to only use one type of door and one type of window? Same thing.
    Do you want more than one single career? That's 5 dollars thank you. Btw the jacket is 2 dollars and the window and door together is 11 dollars because it comes in three color variants.

I am 100% certain this is how Sims 5 will be. Not exaggerating.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited February 2021
    Nay!

I suppose I referred to your personal opinion of others who “irresponsibly” buy these packs and potentially kill the gaming industry. But that’s only me reading between the lines. No you did not direct this at anyone in particular.
    All I’m trying to say is don’t be surprised by the responses you got.

I agree that we have to remain conscious of some of the things we do, buy, support.

And then there are times when folks would love a vacuum cleaner in their game. One vacuum cleaner. I suppose they can express their excitement without feeling they’ve been sent on a consumerism guilt trip. It’s a virtual vacuum cleaner for crying out loud. It does less harm to the environment than my nail clippers. Which was also a fiver. And probably less fun.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Do I have to quote myself saying "IN MY OPINION it is irresponsible". That means that if I think it's irresponsible that doesn't mean anyone else should think the same or feel guilty. If you feel guilty then that's your fault not mine.

I'm allowed to express my opinion without being called out on it like every one of you is. This is my opinion and you don't have to agree period. If my opinion makes you feel guilty then that's not my fault, it's probably that you feel guilty anyway. I just said what I believe like everyone is allowed to. Please stop trying to make this something that it isn't cause it's not fair.

Also when I say impact on environment I don't mean the actual CLIMATE. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.