Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kit Packs: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Yay!
    As long as it's not too expensive I don't mind.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Nay!
    I'd rather they flesh out the other packs instead. My opinion may change as we learn more but right now, I'll pass.

From the looks of the three samples, the kitchen stuff could have been added to Cats & Dogs or Cool Kitchen. The throwback workout stuff (or whatever it's called) could have been in Spa Day or Fitness Stuff. As for the vacuum stuff, I'm not sure where that would fit. Maybe Parenthood, if it came with chores?
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    Depends on the price.
    looks like a fun concept as long as they dont make a new one everymonth then sure yea it looks fun
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Nikkih wrote: »
    No. Microtransactions don't have any benefit to them. They only serve to wring the consumer of their money.

But, because this is the Sims franchise, I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes. This fandom has the largest amount of whales I've ever seen. Plenty of people will buy them, if only to "complete their collection" or because "it's only 5 bucks, what's the harm?"

Micro transactions is the future and the present whether we like it or not unfortunately, the old way to playing games is probably officially dead like arcade games, you mark my words this is what the sims 5 will be like 😂

Only because we allow it. There are hugely popular games that still do not use it, and almost none of the Indie successes use it. Microsoft have a hard stance against loot boxes on the Xbox and are only half-heartedly embracing micro transactions, which makes games that on the surface would be ripe with loot boxes, like the Forza series, actually have... none. There are no micro transactions in the Forza Horizon or Forza Motorspors series despite it being full of skins, collectible car models, rare assets etc. Because the franchise is a core franchise, like Halo, for Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't like it.

But yes, just look like mobile games. That is, and has always been, the testing ground for AAA games: If people go along with the scams and money milking and abuse in mobile games, the same mechanics will be used within 24 months in AAA PC and console games.

The only way to stop is is by consumer right's laws being amended (as with loot boxes in several countries where gambling commisions are actually looking at just shutting several popular online titles down like Overwatch, Fifa etc) and by simply boycotting the mechanic.
    You don't have to boycott a game, you can just refuse to use the micro transactions.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Nay!
    Calico45 wrote: »
    @elelunicy @Felicity So I know this is a little off topic and an etiquette faux pas, but as someone that always thought the Sims 3 Store was way too expensive back then and even when I looked back at it recently: around how much would you say the entire store set you back?

None, because well... Arrrr!
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Nay!
    Agreeing with that and buying is like stabbing our own back. Once we accept that, they'll make more and more of micro transactions etc. They're testing the waters for TS5. Don't be fooled simmers. If you accept to buy it, don't complain later about having more and more half baked packs and no more free content in updates. You got warned...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Depends on the price.
    Nikkih wrote: »
    No. Microtransactions don't have any benefit to them. They only serve to wring the consumer of their money.

But, because this is the Sims franchise, I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes. This fandom has the largest amount of whales I've ever seen. Plenty of people will buy them, if only to "complete their collection" or because "it's only 5 bucks, what's the harm?"

Micro transactions is the future and the present whether we like it or not unfortunately, the old way to playing games is probably officially dead like arcade games, you mark my words this is what the sims 5 will be like 😂

Only because we allow it. There are hugely popular games that still do not use it, and almost none of the Indie successes use it. Microsoft have a hard stance against loot boxes on the Xbox and are only half-heartedly embracing micro transactions, which makes games that on the surface would be ripe with loot boxes, like the Forza series, actually have... none. There are no micro transactions in the Forza Horizon or Forza Motorspors series despite it being full of skins, collectible car models, rare assets etc. Because the franchise is a core franchise, like Halo, for Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't like it.

But yes, just look like mobile games. That is, and has always been, the testing ground for AAA games: If people go along with the scams and money milking and abuse in mobile games, the same mechanics will be used within 24 months in AAA PC and console games.

The only way to stop is is by consumer right's laws being amended (as with loot boxes in several countries where gambling commisions are actually looking at just shutting several popular online titles down like Overwatch, Fifa etc) and by simply boycotting the mechanic.
    You don't have to boycott a game, you can just refuse to use the micro transactions.

There will always be some that will buy them and if there a hit, it will happen @Beardedgeek
  • Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Depends on the price.
    I always think more content is a good thing, but if the price is too high then it's a big fat NO for me. From what I've seen of the three kits that were announced, I wouldn't be interested in them if they were over $5USD.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Depends on the content.
    I've always bought packs because they have gameplay, but these kits I assume have very little of it. That's why I think I'll pass on them, but again it depends on the content (and price).
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Depends on the content.
    For me, this depends on two things. Content and execution.

I could see something like this working well for additional worlds. I know the developers aren't keen on adding larger worlds with current packs and they usually claim performance is the reason for this. I don't just play the Sims, and my PC set up is more than capable of handling more ambitious worlds. I've no doubt that there are others in the same boat as well. I think it would be awesome to have extra worlds that we could buy.

However, I'm curious (and cautious) as to how they plan on making this work. Should we expect something like the Sims 3 Store? With those ridiculous Sim Points? I sincerely hope not. If I'm able to buy these kits through Origin like I would with any other pack, then that's fine by me, but I do not want another Sims 3 Store situation.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    I own a lot of store content. However thanks to ads and expansion registration and some very generous folk here I have my store content for free. Do I like the idea of the store? No. But I played my game for years without it and I could again.

Kit packs won’t be free. The majority of store content was and is an additional extra on top of very detailed and rich expansion packs. No one who bought the sims 3 pets thought “I MUST have that automatic pet feeder and it’s a travesty it’s not in my expansion”
    The vacuuming stuff should have been In laundry which should have been in eco living. The kitchen set could have gone in cats and dogs and the fitness stuff could have went in fitness stuff. It’s a joke they are now nickel and dimming this community further. Some of the same people that called the sims 3 a rip off will be the same folk who rush out to buy this same stuff.

And also, who has the sims 4 on console as my niece plays it. This isn’t a bone to console players. Cc is free on pc. This isn’t cc. It’s more stuff for them to buy. Fix console skin tones and performance if you want to make console players happy.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Depends on the content.
    Dianesims wrote: »

Also it’s gonna be a mess on the gallery, when people will want to download a build but there’s like 10 kits, SPs, GPS and EPs content in it.

For someone who owns 50% of content, it's already a nightmare. In fact, it's that bad I just look through the starter homes thread instead.

As for kit packs, they'll probably appeal to me since I like only specific things.

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Depends on the content.
    I'm 50/50. In one way booooo microtransactions, but on the flip side it might be a good way of getting lots of little things without having to have an entire pack dedicated to them.

Also depends on the price, 3 "kits" should be the same price as a stuff pack. I feel like they're gonna be 5 bucks each, or you can get a "3 for $10" deal.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I have mixed feelings about this. I thought stuff packs were small enough. But I will wait until we have more information on the content and the price before I can decide how to feel about kits.

As long as it is tiny packs and not microtransactions advertised inside the game itself, I will try to be open minded until we know more.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Nay!
    This is Sims 4 way of an store and if I am going to spend my money I rather spend it in Sims 3 store. EA/Maxis is slowly making an store and it starts small and then before you know it is an full fledged store and this is one way they are extending the life of Sims 4. I am waiting for them to sell the good features and I would still not buy.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Nay!
    I mean it doesn't help that none of the leaked "Kits" are even remotely interesting to me.
    I LOVE the mid century and 1940s style furniture in the free 21 gifts tho. I will definitely use those a lot.
  • Options
    OddlyLemmingOddlyLemming Posts: 8 New Member
    Nay!
    I have to say that today's announcement of new Kits DLC was (to quote my then 8-year old's comment of the hospital's dinner menu 2 days after after having his appendix removed) a "steaming bowl of disappointment".
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    No matter if the content is good or the price is low. In my opinion it's irresponsible to support this kind of business practice and it can result in even worse things happening to this franchise.
    I would really think twice about the consequences of purchasing any of these kits and realize the effect this will have on the future of the game and on the other Simmers. So yeah me, I couldn't sleep at night knowing I support this kind of practice. The way we consume changes the way EA and other corporations see us and we really have the power to change things by wisely choosing what to support and what not.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    No matter if the content is good or the price is low. In my opinion it's irresponsible to support this kind of business practice and it can result in even worse things happening to this franchise.
    I would really think twice about the consequences of purchasing any of these kits and realize the effect this will have on the future of the game and on the other Simmers. So yeah me, I couldn't sleep at night knowing I support this kind of practice.

I would never support this practice because one may pay an lot of money for so little shiny. I see some hypocrisy brewing here with this plan for it is an smaller version of the Sims 3 store for which many was putting that down for what EA/Maxis did with that and now EA/Maxis is slowly opening an store, it is widely accepted and if this extends to worlds this would be the knife for me as you never had to buy worlds as one had the tools and this would be an plan that was thought of an long time, as far as the Worlds that is speculation.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I don't care. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. Simple.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    I don't care. If I don't want it, I don't buy it. Simple.

Someone pointed out that this will make the Gallery virtually unusable after 4 or 5 of these kits.

Unless they actually give up and give us a proper search function, but EA has refused: The reason you can't filter on packs you don't own, obviously, is that EA don't want you to be able to not buy packs, so they deliberately makes it as annoying as possible to not own all packs.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Guess I'm irresponsible then. And there are a lot more important things that would keep me from sleeping at night than a kit pack for a video game.

@simgirl1010 Well yeah to me it is important to think before spending money and also to think about the effects of my purchase. It might seem like just a kit pack for a video game but there is a lot more behind it. Every choice we make affects the world around us and it's not a bad thing to be consious about that.
    So yeah for me it is an important thing and I want to make sure I support customer-friendly practices not just with the Sims but with everything I buy. Money has real value, no matter if something is cheap or expensive. EA clearly knows that and this is why the keep making more and more cheap DLC.

To me, how I affect the world I live in is an important thing to think about, just as important as other things in my life, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    MissClairelyMissClairely Posts: 15 Member
    Nay!
    Yeah that's gonna be a no from me dawg.

Here's an idea: Release complete packs instead of incomplete nonsense where you attempt to sell us watered-down, smaller versions of previous, better expansion packs for previous, better Sims games. Sims 3 built off Sims 2 and 1. TS4 is TS1...minus all the nostalgia, for twice the price. Now it's not just items you'll miss out on if you skip stuff packs -- it's game mechanics. Miss the lovely Bonehilda? Well, yes, you already bought the vampire pack. And the magic pack. And the spooky stuff pack. But that isn't enough! You need to buy the ~~Paranormal~~ pack!

What's that? Oh, you bought the pack and now you want to take a nice photo of your spooky little Addams family to mount on the wall? Yeeeeah, that'll be another $10, please. Gotta have that Moschino(TM) pack if you want your pics to be posed or bigger than a pixel, y'all!

It's insulting, frankly. I don't know about you guys, but I actually have to work for my money, I can't just motherlode my bank account -- if I could, I'd be spending it on a PC and rebuying all this crud on a platform I can at least mod it on. Alas, I am but a lowly muggle, and cannot pull Simoleans out of thin air (nor pluck them from the limbs of a rare tree).

EA knows this. But they also know that those of us playing in the miserable world of console (AKA without CC) are so desperate for more items, styles, and swatches, that they can sell to us what the rest of the players just download for free off a mod site. I'm sure it won't be long before they go the Bethesda route where they just open up a mod store for console players and let us pay to download the must-haves like MCCC, etc while giving a cut of the profits to the modders. Frankly, I'd be more open to that. But this? Yeah, no thanks.

I've been playing a lot of Cyberpunk 2077 lately. I mean a LOT. 400+ hours played and 1400+ screenshots taken. And say what you will about that buggy-as-heck game, it may have its flaws but it also has:
    -A character creator that, while limited in some ways, still allowed me to customize my nail length and manicure colors, and left me with a character who looks more like the real-me than my Sim-self does. My fiancé pointed this out, and he's right! Also, no same-face syndrome, and building POC is about five zillion times easier. My Japanese corpo-V actually looks...y'know...Japanese.
    -A massive, varied wardrobe with staple items that come in many colors/patterns, plus a ton of unique one-offs and accessories.
    -The best photo mode in any game I've played recently. I have taken more screenshots in C77 in the last month than I have playing TS4 for the last four years.
    -Tons of free DLC on the way (not to mention online/multiplayer), plus one or two larger paid expansions a la The Witcher 3's Blood and Wine -- for a reasonable price.
    -And all that? $60.

I get that they are totally different games, and that a lot of TS4's weaknesses are due to the fateful decision early on in its development to "optimize it for mobile and online play." But that still doesn't explain why CDPR, who have spent the last EIGHT YEARS working on Cyberpunk 77, can afford to give us such amazing content, and so much of it, for such a small amount of money, while EA is out here bleeding us dry and being all, "No, really, it takes ten IRL-years to engineer a single in-game bunk-bed! No, really, the way it's designed means you can't have custom skin/makeup options...oh wait, just kidding, there's been some social uproar so uhhh we waved our wands and magically you can have custom skin and makeup and hair for POC! You're welcome! Just don't ask about custom hair or eyes *cough*ohgodplzdontmakeusactuallyhavetotry*cough*"

IDK, man. Like yes, I am salty. But I'm salty because I love this game and I have loved it for 21 gosh-dang years and this overpriced, watered-down crud just ain't it sis. The fact that they have the nerve to ask for MORE money to put out content that should already be in the game will never, ever sit right with me. When you look at the amount of content vs. money spent on C77 vs. TS4's complete collection with all stuff packs, it becomes painfully clear -- no, it doesn't have to be this way, and no, it doesn't need to cost this much. But they know nostalgia hits hard, and it makes people whip out their wallets.

I'll end this way-too-long post now, but I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I hope The Sims Franchise's 31st birthday looks a lot different than its 21st. At least this one's better that its 20th, I guess. I mean, a hot tub, *really?*

-quietly goes back to her corner to continue pouting and building the Arasaka family with no CC-
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Oh, is it becoming safe to say we liked/did not hate the concept of a sims store? XD in that case, i liked parts of it as well, because i liked the idea of being able to buy specific items and leaving out what i did not need, and it added content that we might not have gotten otherwise, but the prices were too much for me so i bought many of the stuff i own during deals. These kits will have to have good prices for me to consider buying them too, but i dont mind the concept, not yet at least.....