Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kit Packs: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    @elelunicy @Felicity So I know this is a little off topic and an etiquette faux pas, but as someone that always thought the Sims 3 Store was way too expensive back then and even when I looked back at it recently: around how much would you say the entire store set you back?

There are so many individual things on there and limited time content from the limited edition packs that it is hard for me to imagine having absolutely everything.

No judgement, of course. I have all of 4 which is its own pretty penny, but I always thought the entire breadth of 3 was out of individual reach.

@Calico45 Probably about $500 or a little less. You used to be able to do things like watch ads for sim points and many of the EPs would give bonus sims points for registration. I did buy the most expensive sim pack bundle twice as well, which put the cost of items, IIRC, 66% of marked cost. But there is also a thing called cascading using create a complete your set, and done carefully, you can get a lot of things for a fraction of the cost. I would buy daily deal things and use make me an offer, then use CYS to snowball starting with individual items to sets to compilations. At the very end, the make me an offer thing just gave me the few items I didn't have.

Honestly, the store was, in and of itself, a game. If you never used the daily deals, make me an offer, and complete your set, the prices were ridiculous. And $500 is a lot of money for virtual goods, but at the time Sims 3 was my main hobby. Most packs came back every once in awhile -- the false scarcity was annoying, but I never felt a need to buy something full price. Had something not come back, I wouldn't have been too fussed.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not the most articulate at the moment :)
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Depends on the content.
    It depends on the content. I'd rather be able to pick and choose what comes into my game than have more stuff that I'll never use.
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    Yay!
    As long as they keep the price to about 5 bucks and keep it consistent, I like this a lot. I like the idea of small packs with a narrow focus. The stuff pack formula of CAS, BB, and game play objects didn't work well for all themes. Cool Kitchen is one of the best examples of this. The clothing in that pack had nothing to to with kitchens. Some of the packs they have done could use an extension, like the Movie one. I'd love to see a bedroom in the same style and a small pack would be a good place for that. There are lots of requests for things that just don't seem to fit in a larger pack that would do well in a small pack.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Yay!
    I like the idea and think some of you are overreacting to the whole 'microtransaction' thing. From the sound of it, it seems like kits may include themed sets, which I love the idea of. It'll make theming a room much easier, and that's something I'm willing to shell out a few dollars for here and there.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Depends on the price.
    I was just thinking, since they are called kits and we have the three aspects of a stuff pack (gameplay object, CAS, and BB) could it be we get to pick and choose from a variety of kits to build out own stuff pack?
  • Options
    intothehorizoneintothehorizone Posts: 88 Member
    Depends on the price.
    i'll probably treat these similarly to how i treat stuff packs; meaning that i most likely won't buy them unless they're bundled with other packs, or if the content really interests me.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the state of the game.
    If these smaller packs that require less effort are able to fund base game updates, then I don't mind them existing. As long as we eventually get the updates and expansions that are most requested, smaller packs also being added won't hurt. I'm used to the Sims 3 store DLC. It's overpriced and cash grabby, but I'm not trying to collect all the DLC so I'll only buy the ones that interest me.

It'd be nice if EA could be less greedy, but I'm just used to it. I'm not entirely pleased with how much I spend on Sims DLC, but I put more hours into these games than any other. Even though I'm paying more than what I'd like to, I do enjoy what I buy, and I only buy DLC that caters to my interests.

However, if we get tons of these kits, and expansions continue to be as lackluster as Island Living and Snowy Excape, then that'll be a problem for me. EA needs to use the boost in easy money to develop the game better.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Yay!
    I would prefer kits and wish they would have done that from the beginning!
    I may not get the Throwback Fit Kit though, I have the fitness stuff pack, so that is good enough for me.
  • Options
    NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    Yay!
    I know this will be super unpopular but...

I'm lowkey kind of excited about kits.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Nay!
    Never, ever!

I remember when the Sims 3 Store never worked even though I paid for the contents. It would probably be like that in Sims 4.
  • Options
    MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    Nay!
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    If these smaller packs that require less effort are able to fund base game updates

EA isn't some struggling indie dev/publisher that needs more funding, though.

I don't think whittling the content thinner and thinner is ever a good idea. I'm just waiting for the time you'll have to pay 0.99 for an ambrosia for your dead sim :'D
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Nay!
    Was going to say depends on the content...until I realized this was just their way of adding microtransactions into the game. No thank you.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    Now they need to redefine what a stuff pack is because after this announce they are looking like mini gamepacks lol! EA should just allow us to buy items individually at this point, I mean how far can you break down themes? The fact that we have a mini pack based off vacuuming is crazy to me. Are we getting a pack about mowing the lawn next?
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Never, ever!

I remember when the Sims 3 Store never worked even though I paid for the contents. It would probably be like that in Sims 4.

I doubt it. Sims 3 had a really wonky way of installing content. Sims 4 kits will probably work the same as the rest of their DLC.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Nay!
    Oh, I so hope you are right, Felicity?
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Depends on the price.
    Felicity wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »
    @elelunicy @Felicity So I know this is a little off topic and an etiquette faux pas, but as someone that always thought the Sims 3 Store was way too expensive back then and even when I looked back at it recently: around how much would you say the entire store set you back?

There are so many individual things on there and limited time content from the limited edition packs that it is hard for me to imagine having absolutely everything.

No judgement, of course. I have all of 4 which is its own pretty penny, but I always thought the entire breadth of 3 was out of individual reach.

@Calico45 Probably about $500 or a little less. You used to be able to do things like watch ads for sim points and many of the EPs would give bonus sims points for registration. I did buy the most expensive sim pack bundle twice as well, which put the cost of items, IIRC, 66% of marked cost. But there is also a thing called cascading using create a set, and done carefully, you can get a lot of things for a fraction of the cost. I would buy daily deal things and use make me an offer, then use CYS to snowball starting with individual items to sets to compilations. At the very end, the make me an offer thing just gave me the few items I didn't have.

Honestly, the store was, in and of itself, a game. If you never used the daily deals, make me an offer, and complete your set, the prices were ridiculous. And $500 is a lot of money for virtual goods, but at the time Sims 3 was my main hobby. Most packs came back every once in awhile -- the false scarcity was annoying, but I never felt a need to buy something full price. Had something not come back, I wouldn't have been too fussed.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not the most articulate at the moment :)

That actually makes a lot of sense. It may not be possible now, but back in the day it was relatively achievable. Somewhat akin to extreme couponing from what I can tell.

Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I was in middle school when Sims 3 released, so after hearing people were able to buy the entire store I genuinely wondered how skewed my sense of money might have been back then especially.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the content.
    I'm looking forward to see what comes out. Content that adds to my personal game is always welcome.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    Depends on the content.
    I want to say "Nay" but I know I will get some of these packs if they have something that I want. I just don't like the idea of them. We already have stuff packs. Now they're just called kits? I can't see that much difference to stuff packs, maybe few items less.
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    Depends on the price.
    I know I won't get all of them, and depending on the price I might skip all of them, but I don't particularly object to them.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Just going to be a return of the Sims 3 store. Buggy CAS/deco items again. Hard pass. Community is going to get burned by this again and just going to see history repeat itself, but hey I'll make some popcorn when it happens. Might be the final nail to make the Sims 4 buggier than the Sims 3, so might make some happy with performance loss and return back to the older games.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nay!
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    I like the idea and think some of you are overreacting to the whole 'microtransaction' thing. From the sound of it, it seems like kits may include themed sets, which I love the idea of. It'll make theming a room much easier, and that's something I'm willing to shell out a few dollars for here and there.
    Not really. Microtransactions are real. Sims 4 already cost $790 as it is.

Anyway a story from Gaiaonline and how their community followed the microtransactions to the site's downfall:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/ch0bmz/forum_site_gaia_online_and_how_management/
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Depends on the state of the game.
    At this point we don't have a lot of information, more speculation than anything else.
    But, I will say what I've been saying for a while now. I don't think it's a great idea to continually pump more content into a game that is bugged like this.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Stayc615Stayc615 Posts: 37 Member
    Sheepiling wrote: »
    If these smaller packs that require less effort are able to fund base game updates

EA isn't some struggling indie dev/publisher that needs more funding, though.

I don't think whittling the content thinner and thinner is ever a good idea. I'm just waiting for the time you'll have to pay 0.99 for an ambrosia for your dead sim :'D

Don't give them ideas!
  • Options
    taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Nay!
    To me this means less expansions and game packs. This game will be nothing but stuff.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Depends on the price.
    taydev wrote: »
    To me this means less expansions and game packs. This game will be nothing but stuff.

Not really this isnt going to affect expansions & game packs what's so ever, probably no more stuff packs maybe but theres 18 of them, the sims developing team is massive @taydev