Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want INTERACTIVE CLIMBING EXCURSIONS?

carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
Hi Simmers!

What would you think if sims 4 had an option for an interactive mode? Lets say that climbing excursions (Snowy Espace EP) could have
4 difficulty levels to choose from:
EASY no time limit, no consequences, no interaction mode / MEDIUM no time limit, some consequences, no interaction mode / HARD Time limit, some consequences, interactive mode / EXTREME Time limit, a lot of consequences, interactive mode.

INTERACTIVE MODE
In interaction mode (only excursions on MEDIUM / EXTREME mode) you will need to act with your surrounding. An interaction meter will pop up on the screen: red in the bottom / green in the middle / red on the top +a cursor that constantly moving up and down. You need to hit the space tab (on your keyboard) when the cursor are in the green part of the meter to success with the action. If you hit space tab when the cursor is on the red part of the meter you will fail. A higher skill in the activity will make the green area bigger (=easier to hit).

INTERACTIVE CLIMBING
The interaction meter pop up on the screen. Your sim will reach for the next rock to climb and you need to click on space tab to succeed.
Hit space tab in the GREEN area: Succeed, your sim will get a grip and climb one step
Hit space tab in the RED area: Fail, your sim loose their grip and fall

WILD ANIMALS / DEFEND YOURSELF
You can also be attacked by wild animals. At random wild animals (bear) can pop up when you walking (climbing excursion) and you need to defend yourself:
1. Click on R on your keyboard and the sim will run/escape and hide in a bush (this will lower your needs and lower the Endurance meter).
2. If you have a weapon, click on S on your keyboard and the interaction meter +cursor will show up.
Hit space tab in the GREEN area: Succeed, the bear will flee
Hit space tab in the RED area: Fail (try again, but the bear will come closer)

DISCLAIMER: This is sims, no animals are going to get hurt! You will shot… Cloudberries on them, bears hate cloud berries (?), and if you hit them with a cloudberry the bear gonna look like: "What the <3<3<3<3" and run away. Or maybe load your gun with fish / blueberries...?

TIME LIMIT - ENDURANCE METER – EMERGENCY TEAM
The excursion will have a time limit (only excursions on MEDIUM / EXTREME mode), but you will also have an ENDURANCE METER when playing on MEDIUM / EXTREME. All actions +Low needs +Some negative moodlets lower the endurance meter. Sleeping / Eating / Taking a nap / Drinking energy juice +Some positive moodlets increasing it. When the Endurance meter hit the bottom your sim will get the moodlet Exhausted (risk of fainting, bigger risk of getting injured). There is also a risk that you sim will get to cold (moodlet) when playing in a snowy landscape (you need to light a fire / sleep in a tent to warm your sim).

If your sim get stuck because of Snowstorm / Avalanche / Fatigue you can call for the Emergency team (this is a new active career) and they will (hopefully) come and rescue your sim (update for Cats & Dogs: Rescue dogs).

Ok. What do you think? Is this a feature that you’re interested in for a future pack / update for a pack?

Post edited by carpe_diem on

Do you want INTERACTIVE CLIMBING EXCURSIONS? 34 votes

Yes, I'm interested (please specify)
14%
GalacticGalBreazonaSharoniaAliSim19BookBear 5 votes
No, I'm not interested (please specify)
76%
PlayerSinger2010Isb917elanorbretoncchant86goodcakebaker62taydevBabykittyjadeHarukotyantexxx78EnkiSchmidtHermitgirlmusteniSheepilingGenericTownieChicklet453681GamingTweetyAbbyZSERVERFRAhaisinCelSims 26 votes
Other (please specify)
8%
BeardedgeekDevSims91CAPTAIN_NXR7 3 votes

Comments

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Interactive mode doesn't really sound like sims to me and not particularly interesting addition either for how I play. There are lots and lots of other things that I would like to see improved/developed for this game rather than interactive mode. I want to see an improved romance system with preferences, I want more randomness and bad consequences, I want more age specific things to do, I would like an emotion overhaul and traits that mattered more, just to mention a few things. I appreciate you put time into describing the idea, just think it's for a different type of game.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    So, this "interactive mode" sounds a lot like quick time events typically used to keep users engaged during cutscenes. At worst, given them an illusion of control.

The Sims does not need quick time events to keep people from walking away from the game. It has a lot more control than a throttled narrative game or flat out visual novel, where quick time events are the one step away from being a movie.

If quick time events were ever introduced, I would avoid those activities like the plague. Not to mention not purchase any packs that use them. Rarely do I encounter this, but it would be a situation where I would complain quite a bit if it was a retroactive update that I would then have to deal with.

I would be somewhat open to proper minigames, but that is more of a Sims RPG sort of thing than a family life simulation.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't want my sims climbing experience to depend on my own ability to play the mini-game. I want it to depend on that specific sim's climbing experience...
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    I think that's a great idea. Now, my Sim and his wife bombed out on the climbing excursion, but they got to the second level before the blizzard hit and by the time they slept, the clock ran out. Part of that was my own fault, (my first time taking this excursion, and although I noted the clock I had not idea it was BEAT the Clock!) My bad. She fell and was badly injured, so I suppose it was a good idea they went home to their five kids. I would enjoy the different stages. A) to help Sims (and the player) earn experience on just how-to and B) for the players who already find it so easy, they get bored.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    No. Plenty of action games out there
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I would prefer there was no time limit AT ALL, it's my game, if I want my sims to take a full week to climb the mountain, then I should have that ability. I don't play games that make me rush and get anxious. So I have not tried the mountain climbing excursion yet, and after reading about it, I probably never will.
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    edited February 2021
    Miss click. I meant to say no.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I’m honestly not sure if I’d want it or not it could be interesting but at the same time I want the game fixed and to be more interesting we can almost make any kind of sim we want but they have no personality (unless it’s your baby). I miss the lore of the past games, I feel like they are trying (I’m not that interested in the paranormal pack myself I bought it for the decor but that stuff pack has SO MUCH to do in it. I want them to continue making packs like that.

I want Eco Life style to be fixed, I want bigger worlds. If the sims 4 didn’t have its limitations I feel like we’d be able to have a lot more to do and that the game would be fun to play.

I miss sim bios and favorites and the color wheel so much.

If they are able to make this feature happen that would be amazing but I’d also ask ok what else do you want to expand on, I can think of lots of things I want.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2021
    DevSims91 wrote: »
    I’m honestly not sure if I’d want it or not it could be interesting but at the same time I want the game fixed and to be more interesting we can almost make any kind of sim we want but they have no personality (unless it’s your baby). I miss the lore of the past games, I feel like they are trying (I’m not that interested in the paranormal pack myself I bought it for the decor but that stuff pack has SO MUCH to do in it. I want them to continue making packs like that.

I want Eco Life style to be fixed, I want bigger worlds. If the sims 4 didn’t have its limitations I feel like we’d be able to have a lot more to do and that the game would be fun to play.

I miss sim bios and favorites and the color wheel so much.

If they are able to make this feature happen that would be amazing but I’d also ask ok what else do you want to expand on, I can think of lots of things I want.

I agree on everything you say! I really hope that the developers will give sims 4 a couple of more years so they can bring some depth (personality / game play / favorites) to the game. I hear so much positive feedback on Paranormal and I would buy that pack if we can get an option to disable all occult/fantasy elements in a save file (I like realism hehe, but the build and buy looks stunning). :)

And one thing about the bigger worlds... I think that if we can get multipurpose lots (residental / communal) , that could fix some of the problem with small worlds. Then we would be able to build own apartments / town houses = more housing in a world. Or we could build a combined pool/spa/gym/restaurant -lot and save some space.
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Huh? I don't get it.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I would be far more interested in Interactive Hikes. As it is now Hikes are just something I do to fulfill aspirations at 3x speed waiting for them to either bug out and cancel the hike, or if lucky go all the way and then back without actually doing anything worthwile.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited February 2021
    Yes, I'm a gamer, but not the kind of gamer who would enjoy that sort of thing. I play Sims like it's a one-person TTRPG with visuals. I don't play computer games that rely on my ability to button mash and twitch a keyboard or a controller, because I'm bad at it and have very little incentive to get good at it.

(And if anyone here thinks that makes me not a "real" gamer, I'll meet you over on Roll20... Bring dice. Lots of them. You're gonna need 'em.)
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Other (please specify)
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Yes, I'm a gamer, but not the kind of gamer who would enjoy that sort of thing. I play Sims like it's a one-person TTRPG with visuals. I don't play computer games that rely on my ability to button mash and twitch a keyboard or a controller, because I'm bad at it and have very little incentive to get good at it.

(And if anyone here thinks that makes me not a "real" gamer, I'll meet you over on Roll20... Bring dice. Lots of them. You're gonna need 'em.)

Roll a Persuasion check.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Other (please specify)

I do like the concept and personally I'm always interested in more action in my game, but I'm not sure if I need this particular system in my Sims 4 game.

It means a complete overhaul of snowy escape by replacing the current game play mechanics with a set of entirely different mechanics.

You're basically asking the player to use "complex" commands they never used before. I wonder how many simmers are willing to learn these commands in order to play in a more difficult mode, once you offer them the easy, no time limit mode. Right now mountain excursions are locked behind a social event, which many players don't even seem to enjoy, because of the time limits you have per area.

The action will also be limited to that specific environment and may become repetitive if there are not a ton of other locations to unlock and explore. It becomes a different game with a different focus if that were the case.
    The majority of Simmers prefer their game play to expand across all packs and worlds.

I'm aware that we have a hint of the kind of game play that you mention in two other packs, but I can't see it getting more complex for the player beyond that:
    Strangerville: Fighting the Mother Plant & her minions.
    Paranormal: Hero Mode.

• jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I don’t want complex mechanics but I do want the excursion to last longer and has some challenges.