Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A certain cat breed

Why is Maine 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Disallowed on the gallery when coonhounds and raccoons are? I know there can be a negative undertone, but the hashtag still spells the same way. Does a space in the text really make a difference? Why not just remove the breed entirely if it's so offensive?

Comments

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Cool, a Bat Cat. :D
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited February 2021
    I do not think the answer is stronger censorship by removing the entire breed.

All in all, it is probably bot scans. Context does not exactly matter to them.
  • VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    I LOVE MaineCoon Cats!! 😥
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    No defintely don't remove the breed entirely. :cry: I have two MaineCoon-Snow Shoe mixes in real life. One who looks very much like a MaineCoon cat too and not being able to have him properly represented in game would be terrible. I know I could just make him a mixed breed but it just wouldn't feel the same.

But I have often wondered the same thing. I mean yes, I get why the second part of the name wouldn't be allowed alone, but in this case... it's the name of a cat breed...
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    If I weren't seriously allergic to feline protein now (I grew up with cats and wasn't allergic til my 30s, go figure) I would share a home and heart with one. They're huge, smart, independent, fiercely protective, and no one owns one...the most one can do is be blessed by their willing comradeship if they deem you worthy, or endure their disdain if they don't.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I actually look at the word and still confused as to why its censored lol, granted I'm not a native English speaker so I don't really know what the word is supposed to mean.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    It can be used as a racial slur. That's what the bot only sees, sadly.
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2021
    Because the C word alone is considered a slur. Most search engines don't look for multiple words when one of them might be a banned word. The Gallery is built like one of them. It won't see the C word and think of context because it simply filters out banned words. It doesn't care about context because that's not it's job.
    But I have often wondered the same thing. I mean yes, I get why the second part of the name wouldn't be allowed alone, but in this case... it's the name of a cat breed...

The computer doesn't see it as a cat breed. It only sees a string of text that either is or isn't allowed.

The space matters because people would take advantage of it if it didn't matter. A space is the difference between therapist and something else entirely 😩 And EA would quickly lose their T rating if they changed it lol, even for context
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Because the C word alone is considered a slur. Most search engines don't look for multiple words when one of them might be a banned word. The Gallery is built like one of them. It won't see the C word and think of context because it simply filters out banned words. It doesn't care about context because that's not it's job.

The computer doesn't see it as a cat breed. It only sees a string of text that either is or isn't allowed.

The space matters because people would take advantage of it if it didn't matter. A space is the difference between therapist and something else entirely 😩 And EA would quickly lose their T rating if they changed it lol, even for context

I guess you do have a point there. But I would just think a computer would be smart enough to determine the difference. :confused:

Oh well, at least we can use the name without the space rather than it being banned altogether.