Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sentiments that make absolutely no sense.

GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
A couple of examples from my game recently:

Married couple, maxed out romance level, sharing a meal and conversation with their daughter when one of them becomes enraged and gets a long term bitterness sentiment because her partner was cheating on her (by doing literally nothing else besides eating food and having a conversation with their offspring).

Toddler refuses potty training and becomes defiant literally just one time. Toddler then proceeds to a develop a long term grudge against one of their parents, that no amount of apology or positive activities/conversation will rectify. Sentiment still in place as the child is about to age up into a teen.

The only way I've been able to deal with both these scenarios is to use cheat codes to remove the sentiments in question.

Also the constant 'I'm so glad you don't think my llama jokes are old', and 'I feel like you just get me', in regards to Sims that have just introduced themselves & have maybe said two sentences to each other after that.

Anyone else getting weird, nonsensical sentiments in their game?
Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I just don't think they made a good job of sentiments.

My sim was chatting with Clara Bjergsen the other day when she got the Adoring sentiment. I thought, why would she adore her? She only met her that day. Doesn't adore her husband, but adores Clara Bjergsen....

Thankfully I play on rotation so I can basically ignore all sentiments cos they are gone by the time I get back to that house again.
  • leochick123leochick123 Posts: 78 Member
    I haven't had any that were terribly unfitting, but it does get irritating sometimes and I'm just overall not as big of a fan of them as I'd hoped to be.
    SLpPUp.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    One of my sims recently developed a bitter sentiment towards someone else in the household for no apparent reason, and got a tense moodlet every time they were in the same room. It has since disappeared, but I have no idea what caused it in the first place. If the game at least told you why some of those sentiments come up...
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I do like the smitten sentiment. Keeps 'em flirty, makes 'em get down and dirty!
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I haven't had many unfitting ones, think the sentiments really improve the game. I've read of some issues though, so minor tweaking is welcome.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I did encounter one where my sim was sad that she had lost a friend so I invited that sim over and made them friends again, and the sentiment stayed a couple of days until it disappeared, which I thought was a little weird. But other than that I have not seen any particular weird sentiments.

The one where a toddler holds a grudge sounds annoying, luckily zer0 made a mod which gets rid of that one.
  • EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    I think a good solution would be to give toddlers their own 'grudge' sentiment that doesn't last long and is worded differently. Infantile anger or something.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I'm quite happy with the sentiments, but must admit I did not pay a lot of attention. I will normally check their status when I see that little icon, but I don't do anything to get them. If I ever get a weird sentiment I'd either ignore it or make a story where it would fit well.

I believe time is one big issue, because time is so fluctuating in this game. A day is a year or just a blink on your way to some achievement. Must be very hard to program how long lasting each sentiment should be, because we all play so differently. A toddler sentiment lasting until teenage (and beyond?) sounds unreasonable though, worth its own little story :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Honestly, my sims are all loners so they haven't been talking to enough people to develop sentiments in the first place 😂
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I've noticed a few sentiments not making sense myself. In my game sims that only just met are getting sentiments that probably should be restricted to sims with far better relationships. It's weird. I like the sentiments but I really think they need some tweaking.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Same here. My sims often get sentiments with others they've just met, like 'growing closer over time' or the one that's along the lines of 'you get me'
    I was pleasantly surprised though that when my higher level spellcaster called up my newbie spellcaster to challenge him to a duel, that, after losing, my newbie actually had 'impressed' under sentiments. I've played with the higher level one for much longer, and she never developed any sentiments from her duels. At least, none that I've noticed
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I like sentiments, now sims won't have mean conversation and be chill about it later. Also if they had pleasant or funny conversation, they'll remember that in form of sentiment. They can click with someone they just met and get a positive sentiment. If they go on dates and earn gold, they get smitten sentiment. Also if someone flirts with their so, they will be mean for some time and there's drama.

They don't always get sentiment from a conversation, but sometimes they can get it immediately after the first interaction. I like that unpredictability.

This update is really good, bellow toddlers and terrain/windows.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    Honestly, my sims are all loners so they haven't been talking to enough people to develop sentiments in the first place 😂

mood.

also I find that the negative sentiments are too hard to get

like eliza and bob in my game:
    bob cheated on eliza and divorced her for new bae and so later eliza and bob also had big fight in bobs new house

BUT sentiments?
    none.

and flirts and compliments still fly the second you stop following the conversation

siiigh
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I like them, but I did install the mod to fix toddler grudges.. I had a toddler with a festering grudge against her mom, because the mom gifted her a flower she didn’t like (it was for the love day holiday tradition too).
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    So far I've only gotten cute sentiments, like "Oppisites Attract" to her wife, or "Open-Hearted" and "Adoring" to her adopted kiddos.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 715 Member
    My mom was playing sims a while back, and turned to me telling me that her toddler had a hurt sentiment with his father! I asked her why, and she said it was because he tried to potty train him...sims am I right?
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I sent my spellcaster family to the magic realm for training, and the parents both got "Impressed" sentiments from their mentors but the teenage daughter got "Adoring" for Morgyn. I chose to interpret that as a crush.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member

Married couple, maxed out romance level, sharing a meal and conversation with their daughter when one of them becomes enraged and gets a long term bitterness sentiment because her partner was cheating on her (by doing literally nothing else besides eating food and having a conversation with their offspring).

Toddler refuses potty training and becomes defiant literally just one time. Toddler then proceeds to a develop a long term grudge against one of their parents, that no amount of apology or positive activities/conversation will rectify. Sentiment still in place as the child is about to age up into a teen.

The only way I've been able to deal with both these scenarios is to use cheat codes to remove the sentiments in question.

Also the constant 'I'm so glad you don't think my llama jokes are old', and 'I feel like you just get me', in regards to Sims that have just introduced themselves & have maybe said two sentences to each other after that.

I've had sims again sentiments by just saying hello. And I dont mean the introduction hello. The hello when the sims but in but dont gain any friendship type of hello. Then I had a kid who was going through a mean streak. They said one mean thing and gained a festering grudge. Now when I actually makes sims get into fights, declare enemies and have a grudge. They will still have a good conversation because the meal they had made them happy.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Sentiments have worked out quite well in my game. When a Sim gets a positive sentiment about someone they’ve just met, I take it as someone who has made a positive impression on my Sim and someone my Sim would like to get to know better.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    Yeah, I got the sentiment from a toddler for festering grudge against their parent because of trying to play. Most of the sentiments are nice, but some just don't make sense.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2021
    I haven't had any toddler sentiments pop up at all :D I kind of wish they would. Honestly, I don't notice them as much as I thought I would. I just sort of play through it. I do have two siblings who absolutely hate each other, both are teens. Every time I pull their relationship to neutral, they start doing mischievous and mean interacts that send them into the red. I am letting this story play out this way as the third sibling, a young adult is my main sim in that save. So I am curious to know how holidays will be at their house >:):D
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Surely it's normal for a toddler to harbour a grudge against a parent...? I have seen my brother taking sweets off his daughter and it wasn't fun for her!
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I really, really wish I could toggle sentiments off. Some are okay but others are annoying, mostly they're distracting.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,289 Member
    edited March 2021

I know it's a cliché, but why on Earth do you think a counselor/psychiatrist/psychologist will ask about a patient's potty-training if it doesn't manage to scar a person? We really need the shrink back in our game. Sounds as if your poor Sim is really troubled regarding this training. :open_mouth:

And, yes, the first time a Toddler was bearing a grudge startled me. I was wondering just what sibling (since he has five) had been mean to him. Then I saw that it stated from being near the person. The only other Sim at hand was his mother. :open_mouth: I do think he finally got over it. Now, you make me want to check. He's a Child at this stage. Hate to think he's still harboring bad feelings toward the Sim who birthed him.
    I haven't had any toddler sentiments pop up at all :D I kind of wish they would. Honestly, I don't notice them as much as I thought I would. I just sort of play through it. I do have two siblings who absolutely hate each other, both are teens. Every time I pull their relationship to neutral, they start doing mischievous and mean interacts that send them into the red. I am letting this story play out this way as the third sibling, a young adult is my main sim in that save. So I am curious to know how holidays will be at their house >:):D

Oh, how odd. When my one set of identical twin girls aged up to Teen, suddenly, they were arguing. I built a story around the reasons why, but still. Harmony is still so angry at Melodie that she stormed into the Parents' Saver Room to find her father. Ultimately, after she ranted and raved, for which he attempted to calm her down. She asked for her own bedroom. These two have shared a room since birth. I color-coded them just to tell the girls apart. Melodie in pink, with Harmony in purple or shades thereof. They had a suite in the brand new house. A bedroom, with an archway to the other room, which they turned into a combination playroom/study room, desks, book cabinet and toy chests. Once their baby sister came along, they gave Cadence the former playroom/study.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Surely it's normal for a toddler to harbour a grudge against a parent...? I have seen my brother taking sweets off his daughter and it wasn't fun for her!

In some circumstances I could see it, but the way it played out for me was my Sim parent asked the toddler to play, the toddler said no and got the grudge sentiment. The relationship bar was full between them. The toddler wasn't independent nor in a bad mood. This makes no sense.