Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Personality Depth - Bring back Personal bios, Zodiacs, favorites and more

FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
edited February 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Our Sims need more depth. Here are things from past games that made Sims more alive and interesting.

1. Personal bios
E97-E9475-41-AC-449-A-B4-DE-161-F5-CEA7752.png

Many pre-made Sims and families have written biographies. These biographies allow players to piece together a storyline for that particular Sim or household. These storylines are often intertwined with other Sims and families in the neighborhood or world, creating a broader story for the player to explore.

Sb0pLpP.jpg

2. Favorites (& Dislikes)

EC5886-F5-0-A33-45-AB-8-BD1-65161-A990-D44.jpg
Favorites are part of a Sim's personality and can be set for them in Create-A-Sim. There are three types of favorites: food, music, and color. A Sim's autonomous behavior is mildly affected by their favourites. For example, a Sim that likes lobster thermidor will always be very happy after eating lobster thermidor.

3. Zodiac signs
E1-D6-BB81-CFED-4-F1-B-8680-E8-EAC817-C0-C6.jpg

Sims will generally get on well with other Sims who have the same sign, because they are attracted to others with similar personalities. However, personality and zodiac are separate contributors to chemistry, because Sims will keep the same sign even if their personality points are altered. "Attracted to" and "disgusted by" are not absolutes, but modifiers that help or hinder the growth of a relationship.

Sims can discover other people's signs by asking them in the romantic interactions section: "Ask sign".
a256aFi.gif
Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on

Comments

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    more emotions & transition for emotions, attraction system, favorites, more traits and they could have a points system to specify sims personalities, zodiac signs, more reactions, enhanced AI, more interactions, interests, etc.

overall traits need a big rework cuz they don't really work as they should, and there could be way more of them. also, make them more compatible with emotions and give them more importance. when you have less than 20 emotions and all sims behave guided by them, it's normal that they all will end up acting the same.
  • mysph1tmysph1t Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2022
    (Deleted by user)
    Post edited by mysph1t on
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Personal bios are so needed imo. It's so important to be able to write a few notes about what you're doing with one particular sim, what are his/her goals, what was already achieved, how he/she relates to others... when you're playing in rotation (where i think sims 4 really shines) you can get confused with so many sims in so many households... and we shouldn't have to use exterior tools to manage game's info...
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    We really need more personality for Sims
    a256aFi.gif
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I completely agree, and it would be fun.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I like writing personal bios and always include one for each Sims of mine in Sims 3, household bios just isn't cut it for me
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    This would be AMAZING!!
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    YES PLEASE!! <3
  • DragonmasterleoDragonmasterleo Posts: 294 Member
    it would be great if they could add personal bios and favorites/dislikes into the sims 4, but if they put in zodiac signs, I'll quit
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    I'm in favor! I was so disappointed by the lack of personalities when the game launched (still am). I though the whole point of this version of the franchise was to expand on the personality system... sure they have "moods", but they still don't have much uniqueness!
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Am I the only one who didn't think zodiacs or favorite did anything special? There was no unique gameplay that I remember, and dealing with which zodiac was attracted to which was a pain.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,107 Member
    I completely agree with this. There should definitley be more ways to create a more unique personality. I have always found this a bit lacking in the game.
    Am I the only one who didn't think zodiacs or favorite did anything special? There was no unique gameplay that I remember, and dealing with which zodiac was attracted to which was a pain.

Favorites had a huge influence on the Sims autonomy.

Favorite music:
    When Sims turn on stereo it will always be their favorite music
    They learn skills faster while listening to favorite music

Favorite food:
    Sims will autonomously eat favorite food
    Sims will get very happy after eating favorite food
    Sims can already cook their favorite food, even if it’s higher level cooking skill
    a256aFi.gif
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited February 2021
    To be honest I don't feel like these things are that important for personality depth.

Star signs just gave a pop up every now and then saying "these signs are compatible!" and made it slightly harder/easier to talk to some sims and that was about it. Can't say I ever noticed favorite color having any effect on gameplay at all either same with food and music. They got a positive moodlet occasionally from music/food but that was all it did, it didn't really expand personalities much at all. And with bios, there's already written bios for every household in 4 which you can see in manage worlds.

bio.png

Imo what the game actually needs to add personality depth is for traits to be overhauled so they affect autonomy for townies much more heavily. Evil sims should be rude and hard to talk to, snobs should be rude and judgemental towards poorer sims, loners should be unsociable and avoid crowded lots, creative sims should autonomously do more creative things, etc etc. That's what actually would add depth in my opinion rather than "I'm happy because I'm eating my favorite food".
  • MidnightAngel92MidnightAngel92 Posts: 2 New Member
    I agree with the above, think we should get more from sims 3 added to sims 4.Also was wondering why our in game sims can't purchase a property without have to build on it. I have tried more times to buy a property so I could just make a small farm. But Can't with out building a home on it. In many ways we are a bit restricted in sims 4..which stinks as I love sims3 and 4. Just miss helpful things from sims 3.
  • ReadySetLetsGooReadySetLetsGoo Posts: 17 Member
    I only play Sims 4 so I was unaware that we're missing a ton of content that individualizes sims. Now I feel pretty bummed :(
  • TrillianAstra042TrillianAstra042 Posts: 25 Member
    I'm also ambivalent about the astrological signs... but maybe that's just because I'm a Cancer and I'm bitter about it, haha.

I'd be amused if Sims had more obvious "deal breakers" for their romantic relationships. I realize traits like "hates children" kind of operate in this fashion, but I don't think it complicates gameplay quite enough yet, personally.
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,052 Member
    edited March 2021
    If I was developing the Sims this is how I would do it.

First I would ask a few key questions and make the answers selectable traits.

1. How Active is this Sim?

Lethargically Lazy, Mundanely Moderate, Ably Athletic, Total Gym Rat,

2. How does the Sim sleep?

Light Sleeper, Normal Sleeper, Heavy Sleeper

3. How do they keep their home?

🐸🐸🐸🐸 & Span, Neurotically Neat, Messy, Pungent Pig Sty

4. How does Social is the Sim?

Socially Awkward, Shy, Loner, Friendly, Charming, Party Animal

5. How is the Sim with family?

Family Oriented, Dislikes Children

6. How is the Sim with Money?

Frugal, Miser, Materialistic

I would then ask about eating habits.

What is this Sim's eating style?

1. Hates Sweets
    2. Loves Sweets
    3. Omnivore
    4. Pescetarian
    5. Vegan
    6. Vegetarian
    7. Junk Food Junky

Then I would have Preferences

1. Favorite color
    2. Favorite Food
    3. Favorite Music Genre
    4. Favorite Book Genre
    5. Favorite TV & Movie Genre
    6. Favorite Hobby
    7. Favorite Vacation Zone Type
    8. Favorite Weather
    9. Favorite Pet Type
    10. Favorite Flower

Then I would add Chemistry - Turn Ons/Turn Offs
    Eye Color
    Facial Hair
    Fitness
    Hair Color
    Intelligence
    Life State - For Example Mermaids, Plant Sims, Vampires, etc.
    Makeup - No Makeup, Makeup and Full Face Makeup
    Pet Ownership -
    Smell - Perfume, Stinky, No Fragrance
    Wealth Level - Broke, Comfortable, Wealthy - The story tellers will love it
    Zodiac Sign
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
    Personal bios are definitely still missing!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Regarding new systems, what I want the most is the attraction system really. That and better whims and aspirations. I hope they continue to improve traits though, I think there's still some space for improvement and some like the evil trait still need a bit more to them since they weren't improved in the latest patch.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Queen_ZelyndaQueen_Zelynda Posts: 16 Member
    ATTRACTION SYSTEM AND MEMORIES! The only way to do that now is with elaborate mods that add all kinds of other stuff I might not want, and make the game take longer to load/glitchier.

_Especially_ the attraction system. It makes me SO SAD that no matter what I do, no matter how "flirty" of a mood they get in, my Sims absolutely will. not. FLIRT unless I _tell_ them to! I don't want to _force_ everybody into the relationships I choose--I want to see what happens on its own and go with it! I keep Free Will turned on at all times for a _reason_. I...I don't want to be the one who nudges relationships into starting all the time. I want _them_ to be able to choose.
    And if some people don't like that? There can be a toggle!

I've heard that _apparently_ some peoples' Sims are always getting together in ways they don't want and it's annoying, but (a) it's never happened to me and (b) it seems this is only happening with storytelling on, in houses they _weren't_ currently playing. I want this to be able to happen at a house I AM playing. I don't want two randos to have a rando kid I don't get to name in the background. I want _my_ Sims to be able to pick their mates, in front of me. Like...why doesn't the "flirty" trait actually MAKE THEM RANDOMLY FLIRT?! It sounds like it should! But I've had Romantic _and_ Outgoing Sims watch a romantic movie, be around several potential partners and...do nothing. Unless I tell them to.

I could throw in other things here, like, can't there be a difference between _doesn't want to have/raise their OWN kids_ and "hating all kids because they exist"? Like, there are lots of childless by choice people who don't go around stomping dollhouses and laughing maniacally. But this is long enough already.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    To be honest I don't feel like these things are that important for personality depth.

Star signs just gave a pop up every now and then saying "these signs are compatible!" and made it slightly harder/easier to talk to some sims and that was about it. Can't say I ever noticed favorite color having any effect on gameplay at all either same with food and music. They got a positive moodlet occasionally from music/food but that was all it did, it didn't really expand personalities much at all. And with bios, there's already written bios for every household in 4 which you can see in manage worlds.

bio.png

Imo what the game actually needs to add personality depth is for traits to be overhauled so they affect autonomy for townies much more heavily. Evil sims should be rude and hard to talk to, snobs should be rude and judgemental towards poorer sims, loners should be unsociable and avoid crowded lots, creative sims should autonomously do more creative things, etc etc. That's what actually would add depth in my opinion rather than "I'm happy because I'm eating my favorite food".

They really need to allow players have to chose how much of a hothead, clumsy, neat ect a sim is. When I think my sim is neat a little dusting here and there but not constantly cleaning. Puld make sense if she was a perfectionist but even then. I mean perfectionist in the skills she's achieving. Everyone sees traits different When I think loner I see just preferring to be alone not that they become tense around strangers. Sure they can be come tense around large groups but not have that stranger danger moodlet. Now if there was a shy trait the stranger danger would make sense. If all sims act the same regardless of other traits are they really that unique.