Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installed World was Deleted on its own!?! [SOLVED]

hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
I think I've pretty much accepted defeat at this point, but is there a method into saving my lost saved households?

I know I should've made a backup saved folder, but I couldn't, personally. Everything was fine, except for the lag when I was building a lot, then I went to save a family from there to the main menu and then all of the sudden I see that some households within a custom world was greyed out saying that: "Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system". I figured it was just a glitch from the launcher, like I had to recheck my installed packs, but other families that weren't apart of that world were okay. I thought things were fine until I checked my Installed Worlds folder to find out that they were both deleted (I had another one there, too, but I never played). I went to my recycled bin to try and restore, but it wouldn't let me (I didn't even close that folder out). I thought about installing a program so that I can restore my lost content, but some of them seem shady (scared I won't get my money back and whatnot). In my launcher, it says that they're fully installed, but apparently they're not (they World Caches are still there, too). I'm only stressed because of a sim family that I didn't quite save. Can they be restored if uploaded them from another computer or am I forked?
Post edited by hellokitty1496 on

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Have you tried redownloading it and reinstalling it? Even if the launcher says its already installed? That might make it show up again.If that don't work go to your launcher---installed content tab---lots tab and scroll through, you should see the worlds in there, but they'll have a blank icon.Uninstall them.Close the launcher, and redownload.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited February 2021
    Try restoring from recycle bin by dragging the World files to your desktop first then move it back to installed world, if I understand correctly about the "I went to my recycled bin to try and restore, but it wouldn't let me" part.

if you have another computer that have the world installed you can just copy it from there according to your last sentence
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Try restoring from recycle bin by dragging the World files to your desktop first then move it back to installed world, if I understand correctly about the "I went to my recycled bin to try and restore, but it wouldn't let me" part.

if you have another computer that have the world installed you can just copy it from there according to your last sentence

I tried to "undo move" or "restore deleted items", from the recycle bin, but it gave the opposite effect. It just restored what was already inside the recycled bin, not what I had accidentally deleted prior. It's something that shouldn't even be a thing, but it exists for some reason 🙄. *sigh* Technology.

I'll try and install this world from another computer in hopes that it's salvageable. I'll even buy another ssd for it.

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    edited February 2021
    I’m not sure what has happened but if you haven’t been able to fix it the Sims 3 folder may have become corrupted. You could fix it by renaming the existing folder. Then launch the game. It’ll make a fresh Sims 3 folder. Then reinstall your content including the problem world. Once you are happy with the new folder you can put your save file into the new Saves folder and test to see if you can launch the game.

You can keep a backup copy of any build or household by going into edit town and evict the sims to the clipboard then click them and choose the share option. Sharing will save them to the Exports folder as a Sims3Pack file. This file can be installed into any Sims 3 folder using the launcher.
    I see that it's a common issue more than what I thought: https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Restoring_Backup_Saves#Restoring_a_disabled_save

@GraceyManor I just created a test save with that custom world (with a fresh folder), copied that meta.data file and pasted it to one of my disabled .sims3 files, but once restarted the game and clicked the checkmark of that saved game, it said I couldn't load and sent me back to the main menu. I'm really struggling on how I can save that specific file if it won't let me re-install that meta file or the saved world. Edit: I also just replaced the test meta file with the previously saved one, and instead of the icon being greyed, it's not, but with my most recent saved files, they are, if that makes sense.

@Karritz Before this happened, I did manage to save some sims to exports, while others I have saved as CAS shares, so I think I'm good for the most part. I mean, thankfully, I can still access that part without worry. I also have a backup folder, so that's less worrisome.

@izecson It's too late in regards to that now. I couldn't even tell you why, honestly. I think I might get a recovery save program and see if that helps. I don't see a real way out of this one 😟.
    TtHifcV.png
    UWiCX56.png
    edited February 2021
    Ok, I have an idea, but I haven't researched this thoroughly.

What if you created a new test save in Sunset Valley and Installed Nraas Traveller, copied the problematic world .NHD and .Package files from the original save folder to the Sunset Valley test save folder, have your sims travel there(to your original corrupted save file's world) and do the following:
    Traveling to a custom world destination is essentially the same as traveling to China, France, or Egypt.

You will be asked where you'd like to stay upon arrival. This choice includes empty residential lots (which you will not be charged for) and base camps in the world (which you can add if you like). The selection system uses the University interface if you have that pack installed so do not be alarmed if you are asked "Where would you like to stay this term?" The mod knows you are not in Uni World and will react to your choice appropriately.

By default, your stay will be timed, and your family will automatically return home once the travel clock is full.

You can pause the travel clock at any time using the mod's "Pause Travel" option.

Also, if you wish to turn off the vacation restrictions, you can disable the "Treat as Vacation" option.

Doing so makes the game think you are in a hometown, allowing you to go to work/school, or do things that are not normally available in Vacation worlds.
    Note though, that you are still technically on vacation. No one at home will age, and you can still complete your vacation at any time by switching the "Treat as Vacation" back on, and traveling home.

And maybe after following the above instruction you can switch to your original corrupted household family and play normally.

as I said I haven't tried this, just something that crossed my mind.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Have you tried redownloading it and reinstalling it? Even if the launcher says its already installed? That might make it show up again.If that don't work go to your launcher---installed content tab---lots tab and scroll through, you should see the worlds in there, but they'll have a blank icon.Uninstall them.Close the launcher, and redownload.

@hellokitty1496
    Did you try this? If you need help doing it let me know I can send screenshots.
    edited February 2021
    @GraceyManor that's what I meant when I did a fresh folder. Meaning, that I started my entire sims 3 folder from scratch. It didn't change anything. I mean, I was able to get into that world, again, and I did try and copy that file into the corrupted file, but it landed in an error. Edit: The icon from the launcher was never gone, just in-game. Couldn't find it, but, yeah, I fixed it.

@izecson So, let me get this straight. You want me to copy the corrupted .nbh and .package files from the .sims3 folder (not the backup too, right?) and then overlap it with my new save? Then once I do that, have them travel somehow to the custom world while using the traveler mod? I'll try :/ .

Edit: I copied the .nbh and .package files from there and pasted it to the Sunset Valley save. It didn't work. An error popped up saying : "A serious error has occurred while loading 'Sunset Valley.sims3'. It is strongly recommended that you restart the application."
    @izecson
    Alright, so I made them travel to the custom world by Traveler and enabled 'Pause Travel' and enabled Vacation (if that's not it, I'll redo?)

So, when I go to their saved file, again, do I cut out the 'Sunset Valley' or the other .nbh file?
    cXPu2iB.png
    Then, do I paste it to my corrupt file or this one? Sorry if I'm all over the place :#.
    edited February 2021
    @izecson
    Alright, so I made them travel to the custom world by Traveler and enabled 'Pause Travel' and enabled Vacation (if that's not it, I'll redo?)

So, when I go to their saved file, again, do I cut out the 'Sunset Valley' or the other .nbh file?
    cXPu2iB.png
    Then, do I paste it to my corrupt file or this one? Sorry if I'm all over the place :#.

Is this Sunset Valley.sims3 the test save I mentioned? if it is then you only to cut the Everything Island 2.nhd and .package files (or whatever the world's name) from your corrupted save and paste it to the test save folder

Say I have corrupted saves named Isla Paradiso.sims3 and I create a test save and name it Riverview.Sims3, I need to open the Isla Paradiso.sims3 and grab the Isla Paradiso.nhd and .package file and copy them to Riverview.Sims3 and then load the riverview.sims3 save and have my sims travel to isla paradise.

As a side note: you should copy the files first before travelling to the said custom world.
    Post edited by izecson on
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The way this procedure works, if it's going to work, is that you have a brand new test game in Sunset Valley. Save and then quit the game entirely. Put a copy of the nhd file for Everything Island from your previously played and progressed game into the save folder, so that it is now alongside of the existing Sunset Valley nhd file.

Close all windows and start up the game, if you can. Grab some Sunset Valley sims and see if you can travel them to Everything Island and, if so, if the already played and progressed instance of that world loads. Of course this assumes that the underlying .world is now properly installed again.

The serious error has occurred thing usually means that one or more files critical to the save are open or being seen as in use at the time that the game is trying to start up. Just having the folders they are in open in Windows Explorer can do it, or it might mean a file (the nhd we suspect in this case) is too damaged to load.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    😊 Okay, good news @igazor @izecson. Their icon pops up as well as their house icon does, it's just that the house icon is still greyed out and so I can't click on the enter button. I'll be testing the rest, yeah.
    edited March 2021
    So how is it going for your saves?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited March 2021
    @izecson I don't know. I think I'm slightly off on something, but I did everything that was said. I'm still doing trials and errors. I'm probably just overthinking it, but whatever.
    UPDATE: I managed to get some help and was able to successfully play my household, again. I was told to just create a new folder, disable my wifi and go offline on Origin, then create a new save with my corrupted folder after re-installing my custom world.

Once I got to the main menu, the checkmark wasn't greyed out nor was anything else. I'm currently trying to know why it behaved like that and what's the safe way to copy stuff over.