Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do your Spellcasters win or lose their duels?

My Spellcasters are at the highest level, have purchased all the perks, completed both Realm of Magic aspirations and STILL lose most duels. What gives? Does the charge make a difference? With all of the perks purchased, it's difficult to get a Sim charged but I've tried at charged, overcharged and normal - still taking Ls left and right.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I find the best chance of winning a duel is if
    1) my sim is of a higher level than the target spellcaster
    2) I'm at low charge
    3) I've already lost a duel and have the angry modlet from that active.

And even with that, I think I loose about 60% of my duels. Of course, I don't worry about duels over much right now, my spellcasters are busy working on other things.
  • Options
    SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    Everybody beats my Sim. I just downloaded some Spellcasters from the gallery to test, I stripped their points/perks and my Spellcaster lost to 4 out of 5 of them. It's super annoying.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    my 'future sages' (who are now the actual sages in my game) lost maybe half of their duels early on, before i cheated up their spellcaster rank so they could learn all the spells/potions (...and then i found out that adding the sage traits automatically gives the character all 15 potions and all spells in their given school)

anyway, i 'overlevel' them so they can get the top end abilities of 'never die of overcharge in the magic realm' and 'better at dueling' as well as the mentor ability, the spellcaster conversations and the mastery perk for their specific school. since then, when i was playing them, they only lost duels to one of the existing sages (a different one each time, and they won the next match) while handily beating the other two on the first try. all the random casters they dueled (either other played sims or townies edited/created for the novice and intermediate rom roles) were defeated first time every time
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I'd say my maxed out caster was winning about 65% of them. He wasn't using a wand though, and I have no idea if that makes a difference.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    One or the other, yes. ;)

Some of my casters - and I have about seven in play - have good track records with duels, and routinely best Sages. Some have yet to best a Sage, and are 50/50 against common casters. Some are struggling just for the three wins for their Aspiration.

I can't tell if having a wand is an advantage or disadvantage, against a wand-using or a bare handed opponent, or if it makes no difference. I can't tell if one wand is better than another, or better for a certain skill level, or if it doesn't matter. I don't know if having an active familiar helps or hinders. And I duel a LOT.

I will say that win or lose I find the interaction far more entertaining than I did with TS3 Witches, where I maybe challenged another Witch twice in the seven years I played. There are probably tricks and hidden influences I have yet to discover... or it could all just be one big coin toss every time!
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Pretty sure it's a coin toss. At least that's what it feels like to me. I've had brand new casters beat sages and I've had maxed out Virtuoso's lose to the no talent townies. Your sim sounds very unlucky.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    My new witches usually win a few duels until they get to the point in the aspiration where they have to win three. From then on, no matter how powerful they get, they always lose. It seems to me that this system is programmed the wrong way around, giving low-level witches an advantage over experienced ones.

What I do then, if I'm only interested in the aspiration, is have two of my played witches at the same milestone duel each other, so at least one of them can move on. But if I try to duel with strangers for ingredients or wands or stuff like that, no chance.
  • Options
    DaveJDaveJ Posts: 8 New Member
    I've had the same problem, rather disappointing. Just started playing sims 4 and the first pack i got was the magic. Does not matter what magic level you are or what spells u pick. With no blocking and no difference what spells you choose the duels are a coin toss.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    It seems really random - like there's a background factor for each sim. I have very mastered Spellcasters that lose duels consistently and I've had newbies beat Sages
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    My casters have won duels and lost duels.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    So here’s the twist. It’s all about the player. The player has to intend to win the duel and therefore the sim will triumph. It takes practice. But you can get there. All it takes is intention, focus and perseverance.

Set your mind on it, and it will eventually happen...
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    One of my spellcasters gets many dueling invitations and usually always accepts them. She used to be quite victorious, but now she has lost a couple of her latest matches, though her rank is higher than before and I'm quite sure she has a higher rank than Darrel now (whom she was able to beat before). I guess she has just been unlucky.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    It kind of depends for my spell casters. All of them are still kind of low, because I am a rotational player, and slowly level them up.
    I noticed that when my spell casters are super tired, or at risk of overcharging they tend to lose. However, if both Sims are fine, it is a toss up between the two.
    In one family, the mother was tired, and went up against her daughter, her daughter won that duel. However, the mother was fine when she wen up against another sim, and she won that duel.
    I have had mixed outcomes with the magic duels.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited February 2021
    A couple of my casters have won several of their duels while their overcharged meter was half full. There is no set way to win a duel. From my experience with this, it doesn't matter if you have your caster practice all the time or not or if they are the most powerful caster in your game or not. It does not guarantee that your caster will win a duel every time. And it also does not matter how full their overcharged meter is, it still doesn't guarantee that they'll win every duel.