Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever been addicted to playing the Sims?

2...Next

Comments

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bella_goth wrote: »
    there have been studies that say you can't really get addicted to games the way you can drugs are something like that
    I think your just maybe a little overwhelmed by the things that are going on in the world right now if you think your playing to much
    find something else you like to do learn a new skill or get better at an old one

if games made people addicted like drugs i think they would forbid them for kids despite being a prominent industry lol however nowadays more people seems to depend on them for their own happiness and i don't think that's healthy. okay i understand loving a videogame and playing it a considerable amount of time every now & then, but going beyond a simple hobby to make it occupy most of your daily thoughts it's an issue. so if it is affecting someone it's better to stop playing for a while, focus on something else or ask for help if necessary.
    if it's not affecting someone's routine then it's okay

you could say that of anything working to much eating to much reading to much or to much tv
    or whatever your favorite hobbies is like I told op above if they feel there doing it to much do something else
    however before they decided they have a problem that they need help with they should consider that they'll be just fine as
    soon as they can get out again your mind plays tricks on you when your bored and inside all the time
    @bella_goth

i was referring to videogames due to the forums and all lol but yeah it can be applied to many things. it really depends on the person and their situation so it's hard to help someone this way, if someone feels that something they "love" no longer makes such person feel good, or if being on it makes the person adjust their routine on dependence then there is indeed an issue and needs to be addressed. usually with a psychologist, or with someone close to such person. change the lifestyle and focus on other things more productive.
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    I don't know if I call it addicted. When I play it's on all day long. What I like about Sims is it is a game I can walk away from and do other things why it plays on. I know everything can go crazy if you do that, but I love that. I come back and sometimes nothing happens and other times all crazy!
  • BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    This sounds very scary. I've been addicted before, but not to sims, this must feel terrible to think "i'm addicted to a game.." as you've said! Know that it is ok to be sad about this addiction, but not to blame yourself.
    I have anxiety that is related to other types of things, but I understand the obsessions (with bad connotations) I had bad bromidrophobia, and felt scared to leave the tub; being something unusual, like a game, does not make this less serious.
    Please call your family doctor, assuming you are a minor. Or text the free crisis hotline and ask where to go, they are not judgy, and are 100% confidential. Thank you for speaking up, reading this passage, many face this. Good luck simmers.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2021
    I used to be addicted to the sims, my mum got worried about me at some point but now I've found a balance, it's finding the right balance so the game doesn't take over your life, theres something you can try, if you like, try going every second day without playing the game, the important thing you have to remember this is not an addictive substance, your body doesn't crave it, its in your head that you need to play it, I know how you feel, you can do it
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited March 2021
    I understand that it's different for many people, some of you posted that you have social anxiety, you might be living under different circumstances and I understand that it makes things difficult.

I don't believe that I'm addicted because I don't let sims or any other game neglect things like being social, eating, sleeping etc. I see the sims as a nice recreational game that I play to escape from the real world but I don't close the real world completely, I visit family, I call my mother and I talk with a lot of people at work.

What helped for me was playing something else, doing something else and talking and chatting to other people. When I did that it was easier for me to turn a game off or don't play it for longer amounts of time.

• Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited March 2021
    Broke10Khrs_02-02-2021.png
    Because I'm bored and love messing with time calculations and conversions, this is just for you:

In addition to playing 10,013 hours of Sims 3, you've played
    1.14 yrs :: (hrs / (365 * 24))
    13 months :: (hrs / 730)
    417 days :: (hrs / 24)
    600,780 minutes :: (hrs * 60)
    36,046,800 seconds :: (hrs * 3600)
    36,046,800,000 milliseconds :: (hrs * 3600 * 1000)

haha