Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else sick of Patreon??

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but is anyone else sick of everyone putting their new CC on patreon?
It's like everything I see that I want to download I have to pay for. I wouldn't mind if it was just a few people doing it, where you had to wait for it, but it's to the point where every new CC I find is now on sale. Its the worst when people don't have early access, but keep everything locked away behind the pay screen. I get it, people spend time on making CC, but I think it takes all the fun out of the game. I just find it beyond annoying and waned to rant about it!

I am sure some people, especially CC creators, may disagree with me. But in reality, who can pay to download all CC from all of these sites??
http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive

Comments

• PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I don't mind people putting their work behind paywalls. Some of them put a lot of work into the CC they create because it's not easy or otherwise everyone would just make their own CC. I think it's perfectly valid they want to get compensated for the work they do. It's also often only like a few bucks or you can just wait until it's available for everyone.

It's similar to normal artists who don't usually do commissions for free because even though it's a creative career (although there's probably not many people doing CC for a living... but you get the point), the people deserve to get paid for the hours and hours of work. No-one's forcing you to pay for it, it's just a way to support a creator until their work is (usually) available for public access.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,772 Member
    Also, they are supposed to release their CC to the public within 2 weeks per EAs TOS.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I don't mind Patreon. I like being able to support the creators I like, and I like how easy it is to download from Patreon.

According to EA's ToS, they allow early access for up to 3 weeks. After that, creators are SUPPOSED to release their content for the public. The problem is that some creators are not abiding to the rules and keep their content locked behind paywalls. EA doesn't seem to be enforcing their ToS so these creators can get away with it.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I actually prefer patreon when the content is free, it's when the paywall shows up that it's annoying. But as long as the items are released after 2 weeks, it's fine. What I don't appreciate is when creators never release items to the public or have ridiculous prices.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I think Patreon is great, tbh. I don't buy mods or CC, but I have absolutely no issue with someone making $$ from their work. There are a few creators who are able to make a comfortable living from their mods, but most are just pursuing a hobby. In order for someone to be able to make money, especially with the competition, their CC has to be exceptional, which can bring up the quality of free CC as well.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    A lot of creators post free content on Patreon, so just because it's there doesn't mean it costs money. (I'm not saying there aren't creators who charge for some or all of their stuff, just that it's not everything and I've seen more than one person assume that "Patreon" automatically costs money.)
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I actually prefer patreon when the content is free, it's when the paywall shows up that it's annoying. But as long as the items are released after 2 weeks, it's fine. What I don't appreciate is when creators never release items to the public or have ridiculous prices.

I found that some creators don't "unlock" their Patreon but *do* put the same stuff up for free on other platforms (such as Tumblr or their own website) after the maximum 3 weeks time is up.

If you find that they're not unlocking it after the 3 week period is up, try looking for another site that they might be uploading their content to that is free.
    KatAnubis wrote: »

I found that some creators don't "unlock" their Patreon but *do* put the same stuff up for free on other platforms (such as Tumblr or their own website) after the maximum 3 weeks time is up.

If you find that they're not unlocking it after the 3 week period is up, try looking for another site that they might be uploading their content to that is free.
    I haven't really seen any creator do that, perhaps once I've seen that, if at all.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    Yes, that's what annoys me the most is when they don't unlock it. Especially since I have heard that some creators just convert things from Second Life and then have the audacity to charge people for it, when they didn't even create it in the first place and never make it free after the 3 weeks.
    I think when it's all pay, pay, pay, it takes the fun out of something.
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    I actually prefer patreon when the content is free
    This one, as I find downloading from Patreon being fastest. Like SFS, Media Fire and all others often have bugs or adds or similar (only talking about myself, naturally).

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited February 2021
    I don't make Custom Content for the sims because I really don't have the time for it. If I had the time to make CC I gladly would. I make content for Daz and Poser but I have licencing so that I can do that. If I were to share CC I created I wouldn't charge anything for it. My reason for that is because I don't own The Rights to The Sims. The Game and DLC yes but owning those aren't the same thing as owning the rights or having licencing from EA to create content for them. However, that is me and when I was learning my professors drilled it into all of us about Copyright Law and licencing and how utterly important for us to know this.

However, that simply is how I am. I don't see CC Creators putting things behind a paywall with Patreon being greedy rather the feeling that they are entitled to be paid for their hard work. Why shouldn't they be paid or be allowed to ask for donations on their sites? It's about ethics and morality. We don't all have the same beliefs. Not all countries have the same laws. It would be kind of hypocritical of me making paid content because I have licencing to do so while CC creators take the time and energy to make content for all of us and charge us for it. It would be hypocritical of me to shame them.

When I have the time I'll share some presets with the community for free that I plan on making in the future.

I want to say thank you to everybody who creates beautiful CC whether on Patreon or when on your own site or sites like TRS or Mod the sims. I just wish I had more time to help the community with creating CC for all of you. I don't think it would be any more difficult than creating content for Daz and Poser or back in the day when I was a student and would create content for IMVU or Second Life so that I could better understand 3ds Max which I still hate using to this day.

If you get everything for free Blender, Second Life content, Gimp, Autodesk Sketchpad and other free programmes and content to convert over do you have the right to charge the community for it? That really is a grey area in my opinion. Who am I to judge. Not my place to.

Post edited by drakharis on
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    Patreon is vastly superior to the old AdFly situation.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Content creators keeping content locked behind a pay wall has nothing to do with Patreon and has everything to do with the content creators.

I also prefer Patreon as a download platform. I’m a patient person and try out cc or mods when they’re available to the public. Once I notice that I always use a mod (a mod that receives constant updates) or find myself often download cc from a specific creator, I’ll support them through Patreon.

I don’t support content creators who don’t offer me a chance to try out their mods or cc and force me to pay for all of their content before I can use it.
    Most of them work on custom content as a hobby and oftentimes it doesn’t work as intended, e.g. clipping issues or their work is downright sloppy. I don’t pay for that. Show me what you’ve got before I send you my money. If it works well, I’ll be a good customer.

edited February 2021
    As an observation, going all the way back to the beginning of Sims mods and CC - free content are ALWAYS of higher quality, and I mean the highest quality of CC are always free and never behind a paywall. I think it's interesting that that is a thing, but it's true. Now, ofcourse some of the best creators can have early access and that actually DO help even more with the quality as it helps incentivize them to work even harder, but I do think that most of the content that is purely behind a paywall aren't worth it, and I usually ignore that kind of content, because I know the early access/free content are ALWAYS of higher quality in the end. I definitely support that amazingly creative and talented creators can make some money off of their hard work, as long as it's not too ridiculous and is at least in the early access category. Especially for gameplay mods, which require SO much dedication to keep updated with patches and expanding with content aswell.
    Allons-y!

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    As an observation, going all the way back to the beginning of Sims mods and CC - free content are ALWAYS of higher quality, and I mean the highest quality of CC are always free and never behind a paywall. I think it's interesting that that is a thing, but it's true.

I agree with this. The exceptionally good ones have always offered it for free and sometimes it’s even difficult to find a way to support them.
    edited February 2021

I haven't really seen any creator do that, perhaps once I've seen that, if at all.

I find it all the time. I get the URL from the Maxis Match CC World Tumblr when it's on Patreon. Then I look at it after a month or so (when I look at the entire list.) Most of them tend to then be open but I've run into many that *still* aren't open. But when I go looking for another site, I find that it's free *there.* I'm sorry you have had such bad luck.

I do disagree that people who use Patreon and have their content initially behind a paywall don't have good content. Some of our *best* creators put their content on Patreon initially with a paywall. Little Dica (who then puts his on Mod The Sims when it's free), HeyHarrie and FelixAndre (who have their own website and Harrie also has Tumblr) are some of the best out there and initially have theirs on Patreon "early access only". KiaraZurk is another (which is how I found out I needed to look for her Tumblr to find the free stuff when the Patreon never opened to be free.)
    Patreon is vastly superior to the old AdFly situation.

That is certainly true. But some people *still* are using AdFly as the only place they upload their content.

And I won't even *try* to get it, because it would take more work than I'm willing to do since I would need to find a browser without virus protection. Most of the browsers I've tried won't allow that site.
    edited February 2021

I find it all the time. I get the URL from the Maxis Match CC World Tumblr when it's on Patreon. Then I look at it after a month or so (when I look at the entire list.) Most of them tend to then be open but I've run into many that *still* aren't open. But when I go looking for another site, I find that it's free *there.* I'm sorry you have had such bad luck.

I do disagree that people who use Patreon and have their content initially behind a paywall don't have good content. Some of our *best* creators put their content on Patreon initially with a paywall. Little Dica (who then puts his on Mod The Sims when it's free), HeyHarrie and FelixAndre (who have their own website and Harrie also has Tumblr) are some of the best out there and initially have theirs on Patreon "early access only". KiaraZurk is another (which is how I found out I needed to look for her Tumblr to find the free stuff when the Patreon never opened to be free.)
    You didn't properly read what I wrote, I already agree that people that use early access as a protocol definitely have some of the best content. The point is that it becomes free after a couple of weeks, most superior content do.

I don't know about some other creators, but I am aware of Kiara, and her stuff are free on patreon and her site at the same time.
    Allons-y!

• DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    well i do not care much. i just don't bother with people paywalling their stuff. i prefer having a choice to support someone i think earns a reward for delivering me good mods and/or CC but i truly despise greedy people who care too much about money and are trying to paywall stuff. i just hate that kind of greed
  • TinyKittensTinyKittens Posts: 5 New Member
    > In my opinion:
    >
    > 3) is indeed not allowed but as long as ppl "support" those creators and pay, they will continue to "sell" their mods/cc unfortunaley.
    > 2) is allowed for a certain time frame and therefore ok.
    > 1) is a version of using patreon in a way, i personally (as a modder) am most comfortable with tbh. I use this version because otherwise it feels like i "force" ppl to support me which i don't want and it would put also pressure on me to continualey deliver new stuff but that is 100% my opinion!

I agree with you about this. I am in no way a modder, it is too complicated for me but I see where you come from.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don't mind people putting their work behind paywalls. Some of them put a lot of work into the CC they create because it's not easy or otherwise everyone would just make their own CC. I think it's perfectly valid they want to get compensated for the work they do. It's also often only like a few bucks or you can just wait until it's available for everyone.

It's similar to normal artists who don't usually do commissions for free because even though it's a creative career (although there's probably not many people doing CC for a living... but you get the point), the people deserve to get paid for the hours and hours of work. No-one's forcing you to pay for it, it's just a way to support a creator until their work is (usually) available for public access.

It's not the same as artists who do commissions at all. Mainly because the source code for the game does not belong to these people. TS4 isn't an open source program. They can't charge money for something they have 0 rights over. CC making isn't a career it's a hobby.

Artists who do commissions by drawing etc, own their work and thus they can sell it.

EA themselves have rules over CC...creators who put cc behind a paywall for over 2 weeks can have their CC claimed by EA.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don't mind it but it's annoying when I'm looking on cc finds blogs and then I find something I like and it says I can't download it for 2+ weeks. I'm cool with it as it gives creators more of an incentive to make good and regular content as they're getting something back, but it annoys me when some creators take advantage and lock things behind paywalls.

Like for example the NPCC mod is great, but the creator has locked every update from the past year behind a paywall. The public version is outdated and doesn't work properly anymore but the creator refuses to update it publicly. I would subscribe just to get it because the mod is one of my favorites and I want to get an updated version, but I have no respect for creators who do that so I'm not gonna give them my money.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    EA themselves have rules over CC...creators who put cc behind a paywall for over 2 weeks can have their CC claimed by EA.

hahaha why doesn't this surprise me one bit XD EA is the very definition of greed these days and ofcourse they wouldn't tolerate anyone else making money using EA methods without them geting a slice of the pie...so they just steal the entire pie
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Sometimes Yes just 2 mins ago wanting to download it for a jacket But I would have to pay for it and I wasn't going to pay 5 bucks for it? Sure the jacket looked cool but no. But those like does Patreon for free its followers are great or if have to wait a few weeks to download it then fine otherwise is a No.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr