Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grades in University

2...Next

Comments

• GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    You need to make sure they study their subjects as well. They can do that from the pc under universities. If I am not wrong, they gain the proper and needed skills for that too. So you might have forgotten about that or your sim didn't have enough skills for that particular subject.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt wrote a good summary of what helps with your grade earlier in this thread. I suggest reading his Spoiler if you're having trouble.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17399811/#Comment_17399811
  • SomeChick1SomeChick1 Posts: 535 Member
    Really? I've found it to be too easy. My Sims usually come out with A or A+. I did get a D once but only because my Sim missed a class because they were mucking around on their bike. Kept getting on and off the bike riding around the lot in Oasis Springs instead of going to class. It wasn't my fault! lol

Here is what I usually do.

- While still in high school, make the Sims work on the Research/Debate skill so they can do homework faster
    - Do the homework BUT I've gotten A+ and missed homework so I don't think it's a big factor.
    - When Sims to go class, choose the option to take notes for the first hour and actively listen for the next hour. You can reverse the order but doing both for awhile usually gets you the they got everything they could out of the class message.
    - Start the term on a Tuesday or Wednesday so that you have the weekend to study. I study for each course only once on the weekends but I do make them study until I see the moodlet. Sometimes that takes HOURS.
    - Do the presentation or write the term paper and edit until it's excellent quality. Don't forget to GIVE the presentation.
    - My Sims live at home with their families so there's usually excellent food, good quality beds/showers and stuff but I don't know if mood is a big factor
  • Singer209Singer209 Posts: 20 Member
    [quote="Yamsisims;c-17727371"][quote="Reallysoawkward23;d-972374"]I’m super confused how grades are calculated in University. I have a sim who did all of his homework, turned in outstanding term papers, always attended class, and studied and yet he got an F and a C+?! Maybe I’m wrong here but I feel we don’t have enough control over what grades Sims recieve. [/quote]

I can confirm. It's not just going to class. It is also what they do when they get there. Making sure their behavior is set to Taking Notes or Actively Listening (I think that is the wording). I just had them go to class and was getting the same results because they were putting no effort in class.[/quote]

I did all of that and my sim actually maxed out her skill and she still failed. I think it’s a Sims problem at this point
    Had anyone found out if it’s a glitch or not cause my sim got suspended so many times that she actually maxed out all of her skills and basically doesn’t even need to go but I want her to have a degree
  • wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited February 2021
    It's tricky, but I always try to figure out what skill they need for each class and have them go sit in on classes or try to work on bringing up that skill somehow. I think that helps in improving them and the grade itself. If they participate in class, like either actively listen or take notes, one of them helps with skill gain or grade gain. I don't remember which one. So I always have my Sim go back and forth between those. Like have it be on one for a little bit and then change it to something else.

Edit: I've found out that having my Sim do 3 or less on classes is a big help. I tried 4 classes once and that was way too hard to keep up with. My Sim I think failed the first time and she was always unhappy because I couldn't concentrate on anything else but homework for her. If you do less classes, I don't know if it helps but there's an option on the computer to have them study more once their homework is done. I don't know if it improves the grade or not. I haven't tested it out much.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
    I did all of that.... they maxed out each skill they need for class now and still failed despite doing all the homework, going to class with a good mood, and outstanding work, and taking notes while in class, and they emailed their professor now hey go suspended from university.
    Huh that's weird. You didn't accidentally turn in a plagiarized term paper did you? Because I think that's what happened to me when I didn't read both options fully the first time I started playing. I really don't know what else to say then.
    Singer209 wrote: »
    I did all of that.... they maxed out each skill they need for class now and still failed despite doing all the homework, going to class with a good mood, and outstanding work, and taking notes while in class, and they emailed their professor now hey go suspended from university.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
    No I didn’t turn in a plagiarized paper I’ve never cheated or plagerized anything in university ever
    Um...I don't know what else to say then. They did the presentation and turned it in and everything too if they had one?
    No I didn’t turn in a plagiarized paper I’ve never cheated or plagerized anything in university ever
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
    Yep, I did everything, I even edited her term paper. I even had her email her teachers and all the teachers said she was passing her classes. So I used UI Cheats mod to check their grade and they had the lowest grades like 13, 17, 52, and one good grade. I had to go in and cheat their grade with the UI Mod unfortunately
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

This is all i use to do and until this date my sims always have A+ at all subjects...
    telmarina wrote: »

This is all i use to do and until this date my sims always have A+ at all subjects...

The best I could do was cheat her grade using the UI mod cause she had like 17 and 13 I was like what????
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    Lots of useful info in this thread - thanks! I had the opposite problem, I think too many of my students achieve the Honors, even if I don't really make them do anything extra. But I think there might be a big difference between sending a student right from CAS with few skills or cheated skills, and to send students who grew up in game and gathered not only skills but actually lived. I might have graduated 15-20 students, normally 5-6 sims at the time, and saw max a handful bad class grades.

Sims who failed in doing their Presentation (due to the bug where they got the wrong board) graduated with honors. I just had them read a little extra. Students won't need to do everything there is to do to reach great grades, it's the sum that counts - skip project or miss class can be helped by reading up a skill etc.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    My sim graduated with honors so I don't see the grade thing. He never went anywhere and did all his classwork. Then he was having to eat quick meals because I never sent him anywhere and he almost had the junk food diet lifestyle.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    Just my two cents. Make sure your teen sims have a high debate and research skill level. Then a high level in logic, handiness, robotics, rocket science and high skills in whatever you choose for their degree. I always save enough money to buy a rocket ship and a chess table for my sims to practice on and make the teens repair broken household objects. Take notes in class and don't party too hard. :D
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    Can confirm that "take notes" is the most powerful driver of grade.

Keidra did a very nice recent post on speed-running university here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17749135/#Comment_17749135
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2021
    Lquinn wrote: »
    I found If you do your homework, and you're required studies then you will get A's. I also found that if you miss a class or are late your grades we'll drop quickly.

Exactly. I have never gotten worse than a B+ if I am never late to a class and always do all required work as good as possible (edit term papers, refine presentations).

Also, the grades go up over time. This is important to remember. You do NOT need to do anything more than to the above to get an A at the end of the last term, if it is your major subject. You do NOT need to worry if you end up with a B+ in your Major in the first term. It WILL be an A in the end without putting anything extra in. To ensure an A+ however join a society relevant to your study and work your way up so you get credit for just being present during society events.

The problem is the extra studies. IF you chose an extra class that has a field that you have low skills and only is for a semester, you will probably end up with a C+ or B- that will lower your average unless you actively raise your skill while taking the class. That is when that matters. Basically if you Major in computers, and take Fishing as an extra class one semester and not having skillpoints in fishing already? You will probably end up with a C+ in it unless you manage to get it up to say level 5.

EDIT:

I think I figured out the problem here. IF you apply to university without any relevant skills, you have a harder time. If you apply to the university and pick a Major which you clearly have talent for (aka one of those you get distinguished qualifications for) you have a much easier way, since you already have skill points and the Uni is actively want you there.

IF I remember correctly raising a relevant skill or skills usable for the field of study you want up to 4 or above before applying will virtually guarantee you an A at the end of your last term. Even if you pick a non distinguished Major.

I suspect the difference between those struggling and those always getting As for their Sims has mostly to do with how much they grind skills before applying.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Huh, I remember the question came up right after Uni was released and I thought the answer was to have "low" skill in what you want to learn because that's why the sims goes to Uni, to "learn." :D

So, I have a sim who had A+ first semester and dropped to B+ (A D D+) in the second semester, doing almost the exact same thing both semesters and totally different grades. I had never had a problem before this. :|
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Oh thank you for this informative thread! My sims usually get A+ even when I try to make them do less such as skip homework, not do all the homework or something small because I don't want them to completely fail anyway :D Just a little bit worse grade would be fine. Now I think they do so well because they probably have very high skill levels (born-in-game sims who usually go to study something they are already interested in). I could try skipping all the homework and see how that affects, or perhaps someone could skip a whole class next time >:)
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2021
    One more thing: Workload matters * . If you have more than three classes and one Organisation membership you will struggle enormously to keep your Sim even remotely awake enough to have time to do everything.

Basically if you plan to join an Organisation:
    Never take more than three classes total per semester.

If you plan to joint two:
    you MIGHT be able to handle three classes.

If you plan to join a sports team?
    You really should not take more than two classes per term. Sports Team counts as a part time job and demands as much work as a class per day to handle.

* Edit: What I mean is specifically targeted to those that have a related problem; they can't get good grades because they constantly run out of time to study. If your Sim is constantly smelly, exhausted and only have time to do 75% of their homework you have taken on too much work per semester.
    Post edited by Beardedgeek on
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek