Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does sims 2 have that is lacking in sims 4

Comments

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I feel like Sims 2 and Sims 3 are more like actual games whereas Sims 4 is just virtual Barbies.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2020
    Gosh TS2 is fenomenal.

Sims have interests that they can talk about and they are more inclined to like other sims with the same interests (like music and art), they have their own personality and quirks, wants and fears, memories, they can gossip about other sims in town and they'll learn aspecs of their life that way more easily, sims in TS2 can jump over objects, babies aren't tied to the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 cribs, you can actually see your sims enter and get out of cars/buses/helicopters etc, they can have garages and you'll see them park, there's clothing stores and grocery shops that sims need to use in the BG that actually work, kids can go to a private school, sims can play games with each other like rock paper scissors, you can have multi purpose lots like hotels with restaurants or grocery and clothing stores... like I could be here all day tbh.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2020
    For me it's the memory system: That the Sims remember getting good/bad grades, having their first kiss, getting married, teaching their kids to walk, etc. And like @Cinebar mentioned, the gossiping (didn't remember to mention it before I read that comment). The sims actually "remember" the things they see or even hear and not only what happens to them directly. In TS4 all we get is the Stats table :D
    Also the family tree not getting culled :s

I feel like the genetics were better in Sims 2 as well, that is for example being able to get more of a blend between the two parents for example if their skin tones differ. Although I do feel like that has improved in TS4 since I first got it. BTW I don't mean you get prettier kids because obviously TS4 is the winner there and has a lot more options for facial/body features.

I feel like Sims 2 was more about the gameplay and Sims 4 about creating pretty sims and beautiful houses but not so much about actually playing the game.

Can you tell I'm more about gameplay than building? B)
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
    simlander wrote: »
    For me it's the memory system: That the Sims remember getting good/bad grades, having their first kiss, getting married, teaching their kids to walk, etc. And like @Cinebar mentioned, the gossiping (didn't remember to mention it before I read that comment). The sims actually "remember" the things they see or even hear and not only what happens to them directly. In TS4 all we get is the Stats table :D

I feel like the genetics were better in Sims 2 as well, that is for example being able to get more of a blend between the two parents for example if their skin tones differ. Although I do feel like that has improved in TS4 since I first got it. BTW I don't mean you get prettier kids because obviously TS4 is the winner there and has a lot more options for facial/body features.

I feel like Sims 2 was more about the gameplay and Sims 4 about creating pretty sims and beautiful houses but not so much about actually playing the game.

Theres actually coding in the memories to determine how severe they are, which is why some sims remember something bad for a VERY long time and are still crying weeks later. Its possible to use SimPE to make a memory so traumatising, a sim is scarred for life. Sims 4 would never dare to do this, with how happy the game is :p
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Devalaous wrote: »
    simlander wrote: »

Theres actually coding in the memories to determine how severe they are, which is why some sims remember something bad for a VERY long time and are still crying weeks later. Its possible to use SimPE to make a memory so traumatising, a sim is scarred for life. Sims 4 would never dare to do this, with how happy the game is :p

This is very interesting. I have a few Sims who are still mad about a burlary months ago (Sim months) like several seasons later. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NathanNowellNathanNowell Posts: 933 Member
    edited November 2020
    The Sims 2 has that the Sims 4 is lacking:

-Memories
    -Cut-scenes during milestone moments
    -Family Tree that is more wholesomely integrated and not glitchy
    -Good music (this is subjective) (Sims team, you should re-use music from TS1, TS2, and TS3 -- music is powerful to the mind and can easily sway more people to like TS4 because of nostalgia)
    -Cars (woohoo in cars, open car doors, etc. etc.)
    -Sims using cupboards when cooking
    -Ability to do groceries at the grocery store
    -Hobby Enthusiasm
    -Extremely unique career objects when reaching level 10 of a career
    -Interests (reading magazines to gain points in various interests)
    -Zodiac signs that affect the personality
    -Turn-ons and turn-offs
    -Ability to paint custom paintings
    -3D map-view (TS4 is the only Sims game with a 2D map view. What a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR step down. It's 2020 people, not 1999)
    -Werewolves
    -Genies
    -Zombies
    -Bigfoot
    -New theme music that comes with every new expansion pack (YouTube each expansions theme song. They are all the same melody but each expansion's theme song uses different instrumentals which majorly enhances gameplay. Like I said, music is powerful)
    -Snow depth (what a shame Snowy Escape doesn't even have snow depth)
    -Teenagers not being the same height as a Young Adults, Adults, and Elders to better differentiate age (how lazy on TS4 part to make teens the same height. How boring)
    -Spiral staircases
    -Grand staircases
    -Burglars
    -When controlling a Sim, their head pops up and follows the mouse (TS4 is the only Sims game that doesn't have this)

I'm probably missing more. EA should hire me. I would revive this franchise (if they think it's doing well, they are dumb). The Sims has so much potential. What happened to this game being the most sold PC game of all time? What happened? Small details matter. They need to truly perfect this game. It would raise sales exponentially and make more Simmers happy. They need to double down on their team and work extra hard to make sure TS5 has no glitches either. Look at GTAV, they took their sweet time to perfect the game and look how well it's doing. Doesn't EA want The Sims to be on that level?

God I hope someone reads this. I'm extremely passionate about Sims and wouldn't turn down a job offer if it was given to me. I know what the people want because I myself am an avid Simmer and have been playing since I was 5 years old. I know the ins and outs of the game on a gameplay level and know what needs to be incorporated to make The Sims fun again. I'm 23 now and graduated college and I would love to work for what I'm most passionate about if that's possible. I guess this is my cover letter lol. Please hire me!
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    for me The sims 2 and the sims 3 have this charm and humor that sims 4 doesn't have. The sims 4 is just way to peaceful and nothing random ever really happens or takes you by surprise like the sims 2 and 3 can. Also, I am more of a supernatural player but I'm also a family player and the sims 4 lacks in both gameplay styles. I loved playing sims 2 and going through the effort to make my sim a supernatural sim as it wasn't easy to become certain supernaturals like a werewolf I've still not been able to get a sim bitten to become a werewolf in 2 as I've not quiet figured it out but I enjoy the struggle (so please don't tell me how)

The sims 3 I love being able to create supernaturals right from CAS or having the option to become one while playing it's a fun experience and journey. Both games also have better gameplay and even small attention to detail that the sims 4 lacks like if your sim is completely happy and needs are all up and they happen to be standing around they'll go over to the window to clean it or if it starts snowing they'll go over to look out the window.

So basically the sims 4 lacks gameplay, lacks small attention to detail things, and it doesn't take me by surprise because of how peaceful it is there are no consequences for sims behavior unless you the player somehow provide consequences.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    So much. Personality being the foremost thing. It has charm, difficulty, humor, and a lot of details.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    For me the thing I dislike about Sims 4 the most is the glitches and bugs. I hate that people eat standing up of stand up to greet someone and then continu eating on weird places. I love it when a big family eats at a table without switching chairs all the time without any reason.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    We've got the best corruption! While TS4 saves just don't load, instead we in the Sims 2 get Sims that randomly have their age change to babies! Take Knut Futa for example.
    ALaqdTN.png

In all seriousness, over in the Sims 2 I always felt we had the best done lifestates in a way. Hybrids were always lacking since TS3 and into TS4. It was fun having an alien plantsim werewolf zombie. Bigfoot Witches and Servo Vampire Zombies. Always felt super interesting, and especially fun for a challenge.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • > @AprilDawn said:
    > As already mentioned - Sims 2 sims actually have a personality! And you do not need a worded buff to pop up and tell you what they are feeling - it is obvious from their facial expressions and actions. And what they do makes sense, especially according tot their personality - they do not beat the tar out of someone and then smile and chat - they are angry at the other sim for a while and the other sim is angry too and kicks the trash can or steals the newspaper - getting caught cheating has consequences - shy sims dance different then outgoing sims - outgoing sims go in the hot tub nude - etc. They also have memories that actually mean something and come into play many times. It is much more detailed in all the actions they do and it is a lot funnier! I also love the way they look at their creators (us) and complain when we make them do things against their personality or they express thanks when we have them do things in accordance with their personality.

exactly! the sims 4 almost doesnt feel like a sims game
  • > @CAPTAIN_NXR7 said:

> All this stuff will keep me going for a while and as a player it makes me happy having to learn again. I’m actually learning to understand the game. It makes me feel more intelligent as a player. I never felt I had to learn TS4. Its kinda there for you isn’t it? Im not saying it’s good or bad, but it’s something I observe. I’m not from a generation where everything was handed to me on a plate, so maybe it’s easier to spot these kind of things. Hey, I’m not old. But I’m probably old.
    i completely agree! those aspects of the sims 2 ( and 3ish) are what make the game so fun! even though im a highschooler i can still appreciate those aspects so i think its more a matter of attention span lol
  • > @Pingli said:
    > Sims 2 has more charm IMO, it feels more fun and has a lot of minor details compared to 4, there's a video on youtube showing to comparison regarding the minor details and Sims 2 is just amazing, so many years have passed and we can still see something new in TS2 that we haven't saw before.

THE CUSHIONS AND THE CABINENTS AGHH i love ts2
  • o0Sazie0oo0Sazie0o Posts: 29 Member
    Even though I only have Sims 2 Pets on gamecube, I got to borrow the pc version from my sister. Both are really good gameplay, love the personality and how they remember stuff. Specially since they feel more alive then boring Sims 4, literally feel like I wasted money... I'm more into gameplay then building.
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    The sims 4 lacks the following
    - random surprises and events
    - unique personality
    - Reactions to environment and other sims
    - challenge
    - Small details

Sims almost never reject social interactions and are generally friendly towards others unless the player decides to be mean.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    - better AI.
    - engine thought for a life simulator.
    - ts2 is full of details, so many that even 15 years later people is still finding new ones.
    - the sims do feel like they're part f their world, on ts4 their interactions towards everything are so limited sometimes it feels like they're just robots passing through.
    - lots of features like the create a world tool, or personality features like memories.
    - the input of the creator of the franchise. while it's said he wasn't 100% involved in its development, at least he was there to express his opinion and feedback to it. the game still has a soul, something that sims 4 lost when ea decided they would reuse the sims olympus engine for the game & advertise it like it was the eight wonder.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2021
    Another thing TS2 has that TS4 doesn't do very well. There is nothing you can't get your hands on for TS2 right within the game. The developers didn't hold all their marbles close to their chests. They shared every cheat, every boolprop, every customization you can think of so the player could actually recreate their own game to suit themselves. TS4 actually took away some cheat codes so players couldn't use them. Told their players they wouldn't understand some of them anyway, and or felt it was 'cheating', lol, etc.

TS2 was the very best for sharing all it's cheats, ways to do and change things. It's not that a player should do all that, but they didn't hold back and shared every thing with the player (most right in the game) and or made the code so easy in a way an average player could use the third party tools like SimPE, CEP, and create their own stuff whether that was by setting up game rules by cheats, and or creating their own custom content or Sims, skins, and personalities and neighborhoods. That is something that didn't occur again though TS3 developers did share many cheats with players, TS2 developers gave them all to players to do with whatever they felt most found in read me notes. It was your game, ruin it, if you want to. lol

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • lolchick101lolchick101 Posts: 11 New Member
    I just got back into the sims 2, honestly in a weird way I feel like sims in the sims 2 have a lot more personality. I mean, yeah we dont have traits to choose from but every sim has their own interest and if you direct the to do something they dont want to do theyll throw a tantrum. Overall the sims feel a lot more alive.

Also, idk if you play with premades but I really like the scripted events and back story for the sim 2 sims. I like having that little push. Plus there was so much effort by maxis to really flesh all the sims out. In the sim 4 you dont really get that. Yeah you get a general backstory but a lot of the time the relationships don't even match if that makes sense.

Theres a ton more of amazing details the sims 2 have that the sims 4 doesnt. The sims 4 got things like CAS and Building right but imo thats all that they got right. Sims 3 will always be my number 1 but sims 2 is a close second.
  • FumusFumus Posts: 11 New Member
    I personally never cared about not having traits in the sims 2, for me even with the same aspiration your sim can still be different from another one because of the interests,hobbies and etc.
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited February 2021
    Sims in the sims 4 are souless...
    Sims 4 has so many recycled objects and animations that everytime they came out with a new pack it doesn't even feel excited or new...

I sent my sims in the sims 2, to a vacation in an asian world, THEY MET a NINJA.
    I sent my sims in the sims 4 to a Japanese inspired FESTIVAL, they played with snow from seasons and ate ice cream.

In the sims 2, when a kid gets an A's report card, they run excited to show to their parents. When they get a bad grade they look at it dissapointed and put it away. In the sims 4, they don't do anything.

In the sims 2, sims actually sit together at the table to have dinner and talk to each other. They are also able to sit down together to watch a movie.
    In the sims 4, these two simoly actions are nightmares, among with so many other features that never works, and you end up having to imagining everything that is going on because the game doesn't even work, and most of it, you are imaging it and playing in your head...

Sims 4 is so broken. It could have been amazing without all the recycling, without all the pointless features as constantly looking the phone nevertheless if your sim hates technology or not, without the empty personality traits that don't do anything in particular, with a little more of gameplay, with a little more of detail... Sims 4 is honestly for people who like to buils and create characters, thesr two feautres are amazing, but the gameplay seems designed for 6 years olds.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    sims 2 has more family play
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    Sims 2 has so many things, like Sims 4 is nice to play, because you can have more options in CAS, like skin tones, being able to make pets, etc. it does really look pretty, and I do enjoy the game packs I got for it, but I went for packs I loved in Sims 2, and a few packs that Sims 4 offered.
    Now, back to the question, Sims 2 does almost everything better than Sims 4 in a lot if ways. For one, their were wants and fears that actually make since, where whims seem more empty. In Sims 2, you could have a Sims with almost the exact same astrology sign, and a few others, but feel more real because they won't be 100% the same.
    Also, teens look like teens, and not adults, where you can't tell the difference between the two. Plus, the gameplay in Sims 2 threw some curve balls at the player, where the results could change the outcome of the game play. Plus, Sims could be killed by flukes, like looking at the sky too long and get killed by a satellite dish. You can more or else control the Sims however you wanted, but the game play could switch things up.
    Sims 4 doesn't really offer much random game play, and most of the stuff that makes the game fun in Sims 4, gets nuked, because people complained about the feature. Like, don't but Vampires, if you don't want to deal with Vampires.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have been playing the Sims 2 today for the first time in around eleven years and I can’t believe how much I have forgotten or just how much detail is in the Sims 2 compared to the Sims 4. Having my sims shop for clothes and groceries, cars, personalities and all the randomness. All the time I was playing I kept saying to myself... “oh I wish the Sims 4 had this or that”. I love both games but playing the Sims 2 really just reminded me how much is still missing from the Sims 4.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    so i love both TS2 and TS4. However, in the Sims 2, the sims can actually reject a flirtation if they are not in a mood or not have a good enough relationship. You can tell that other sims don't like each other and their reaction is like "come on, do we have to do this?!?!?" Also babies aren't tied to the crib and we can use changing tables to change their diaper. Also i noticed in TS4 the babies seem to cry alot more. Also in the sims 2, the sims are furious more and it can take about a week for them to get over the furiousness. sometimes less if they studied anger management.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    Couple days into replaying the Sims 2 and I easily know one I can add to the list.
    Custom radios, custom TV, custom paintings! Like it is so fun to be able to add .avi files to the game for the TV channels, some .png files for some paintings, and especially being able to add my own metal music into the proper channel rather than just one big "custom music" station.

It's amazing having my TVs static replaced with just a video of someone eating crisps.

Can I also mention how TV has commercials in 2? Little more variety than the same 2 things that play on loop, especially combined with custom TV channels!
    L9q8VGi.png