Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Im confused

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    estella_deeestella_dee Posts: 263 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Who do you mean by "we"?

If you are dissatisfied with a product, don't buy it.

I finally migrated from TS3 when offered the base game - which I understood would be bare bones, though up to date - last year and have by no means been dissatisfied by the quality of the game or the value of expansion content.

I am a picky buyer, and a late adopter. I will likely give Eco Lifestyle a few months wait, both to allocate my entertainment budget elsewhere (only so much Fun Money to go around) and to wait for the inevitable post-launch bug patches. That doesn't mean I do not support it - I just accept that things take time, and invest my own time (and money) accordingly.

Please don't speak for "we players". Advocate for your point of view, but please don't assume it's widely shared. By all accounts, TS4 is the most successful that any Sims title has been. I'd infer plenty of players like it just fine. But I can't speak for them. I can only speak for myself.

How can you be entirely sure you're dissatisfied by a product if you don't buy it yourself? Yes, there are reviews made about this game, but then most YTubers and game changers of The Sims don't even know how to review a game (with the exception of Carl and LGR). They DON'T test bugs and glitches, they DON'T test gameplay, what they do is just show an aspect of the game. So, yes while you can gauge if you would like a pack or not, personally, I would really only know if I am satisfied with it or not buy actually experiencing it. So that "if you don't like it, don't buy it" premise is honestly kinda dumb.

Also I really doubt The Sims 4 is the "most successful" in the franchise. The Sims 4 has not won any game awards, as far as I know, and The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 have almost gotten game of the year awards. Soooo... ummm... yeah.
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Who do you mean by "we"?

If you are dissatisfied with a product, don't buy it.

I finally migrated from TS3 when offered the base game - which I understood would be bare bones, though up to date - last year and have by no means been dissatisfied by the quality of the game or the value of expansion content.

I am a picky buyer, and a late adopter. I will likely give Eco Lifestyle a few months wait, both to allocate my entertainment budget elsewhere (only so much Fun Money to go around) and to wait for the inevitable post-launch bug patches. That doesn't mean I do not support it - I just accept that things take time, and invest my own time (and money) accordingly.

Please don't speak for "we players". Advocate for your point of view, but please don't assume it's widely shared. By all accounts, TS4 is the most successful that any Sims title has been. I'd infer plenty of players like it just fine. But I can't speak for them. I can only speak for myself.

How can you be entirely sure you're dissatisfied by a product if you don't buy it yourself? Yes, there are reviews made about this game, but then most YTubers and game changers of The Sims don't even know how to review a game (with the exception of Carl and LGR). They DON'T test bugs and glitches, they DON'T test gameplay, what they do is just show an aspect of the game. So, yes while you can gauge if you would like a pack or not, personally, I would really only know if I am satisfied with it or not buy actually experiencing it. So that "if you don't like it, don't buy it" premise is honestly kinda dumb.

Also I really doubt The Sims 4 is the "most successful" in the franchise. The Sims 4 has not won any game awards, as far as I know, and The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 have almost gotten game of the year awards. Soooo... ummm... yeah.

To me a good review will show all the features of a pack and warn me of any bugs and glitches, but a lot of youtubers don't mention this, like you said. A lot of them are either showing CAS, Build buy items and the world, but talk very little about the gameplay itself, or they talk about their opinion on the game, which all that tells me is whether they like it or not. I've found Carl's Sims guide very useful to finding out what each pack offers. I'm very picky on what I buy. I only buy a pack if it interests me, but before I buy it I look up what exactly it offers. While you can not know what bugs and glitches are in a game before buying it, there are people who buy a pack knowing it has less features than they want it to have, or they buy a pack knowing they're not interested in the theme of that pack and then complain about it not being what they want it to be. This is where the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" applies. To those who don't like vampires, but they buy Vampires, those who don't like snow sports, but they buy Snowy Escape, those who don't like fame and celebrities, but they buy Get Famous, and those who don't like Star Wars, but they buy the Star Wars pack, to name a few.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

Awards does not mean success. I mean The Last of Us 2 has won many awards but the fanbase and the number of copies sold are embarassing. A week after launch alot of copies was already being sold online. Many fans are angry about the story. After a Month they are so desperate that they are putting The Last of Us 2 in the Packaging on their PS4's second line up to be successful which is Ghost of Tsuhima. It gets worst as the was always on sale yet in the end it was given a bunch of 10/10 and awards by the Journalist because of the female empowerment. Even if the plot was awful.

Also Remember SimCity? That game already has tons of awards before launch, yet it was not enough to to recieve a Full development after the offline patch because how low the sales had become.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2021
    .So that "if you don't like it, don't buy it" premise is honestly kinda dumb.

You can tell what youd be interested in by watching reviews and doing research. Watch for sales and buy it then if you still want it. If its expensive especially more so. Thats how anyone makes a purchase. I hate the Sims 4 too but ive never been one to complain I spent a bazillion on it because that would be ridiculous. I can tell what I wouldn't want in my game and what will not make a significant positive difference for me playing it by researching it. Also if you buy one pack and its lackluster you know what to expect so you dont go and buy 13 more. I vote with my wallet. I dont support these overpriced underdeveloped packs either lol
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I only buy packs when I think they're worth the price.
    For example, almost NONE of the Expansion Packs are worth $40, and I think that price is outrageous. I will normally wait until it goes down to $20.
    I think Game Packs and Stuff Packs are more reasonably priced, but even then I usually wait for a sale. The winter sale had all Game Packs and Stuff Packs at 50% off, which I think is good price.
    Honestly, there is absolutely no reason to spend full price for a pack, when they're on sale so often. If you're still buying packs at full price, then you're just wasting money, and giving EA extra cash.
    Some packs I refuse to buy, like Journey to my Butthole & My First Venereal Disease (LOL), for ethical reasons.
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    For example, almost NONE of the Expansion Packs are worth $40, and I think that price is outrageous. I will normally wait until it goes down to $20.
    I think Game Packs and Stuff Packs are more reasonably priced, but even then I usually wait for a sale. The winter sale had all Game Packs and Stuff Packs at 50% off, which I think is good price.
    Honestly, there is absolutely no reason to spend full price for a pack, when they're on sale so often. If you're still buying packs at full price, then you're just wasting money, and giving EA extra cash.
    Some packs I refuse to buy, like Journey to my Butthole & My First Venereal Disease (LOL), for ethical reasons.

Agree 100%. Out of 37 packs total this game has I have 18. Every one of those I have purchased on sales or console bundles, with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 packs I've paid full price for. I will never get the missing packs because it's stuff I'm not interested in (unless they go on sale REAL cheap, like 75%-80% off cheap.

I never understood buying every single pack. Why would I buy Parenthood if I could careless about playing with families? Cabinets and chairs aren't worth the $20 to me. There's highly recommended EP's I never bought because even at 50% off I still don't think I'd use them that much. I just buy what I know I'm going to use. I've noticed Bowling Night isn't a favorite with the community, but I use the build/buy and CAS items A LOT. And making bowling alleys is my favorite venue type, so the $10 was well worth it for me.
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »

Agree 100%. Out of 37 packs total this game has I have 18. Every one of those I have purchased on sales or console bundles, with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 packs I've paid full price for. I will never get the missing packs because it's stuff I'm not interested in (unless they go on sale REAL cheap, like 75%-80% off cheap.

I never understood buying every single pack. Why would I buy Parenthood if I could careless about playing with families? Cabinets and chairs aren't worth the $20 to me. There's highly recommended EP's I never bought because even at 50% off I still don't think I'd use them that much. I just buy what I know I'm going to use. I've noticed Bowling Night isn't a favorite with the community, but I use the build/buy and CAS items A LOT. And making bowling alleys is my favorite venue type, so the $10 was well worth it for me.

This. You have the option to buy at sale if you think the price is too high. There are also tons of giveaways on twitter by building houses or creating stories and etc. So why not join them?
  • Options
    mysticmousejuice_xo1mysticmousejuice_xo1 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Chazzzy said:
    > The fact that I don’t pay full price for any of the packs I get is good enough for me.

I completely agree! I bought the game on Origin for only $5 but yet the pet extension was $20. LOL.
  • Options
    teamjenteamjen Posts: 50 Member
    Everyone pretty much said everything I agree with but here’s my two cents.
    When sims 4 was announced I hated it. The only thing I liked was that the sims would have “emotions”. So for years I chose not to buy it. It wasn’t until 6 months ago I decided to buy sims 4. Only because my laptop could not handle sims 3 anymore and I didn’t want to upgrade my pc. So I got sims 4 and tbh it’s alright. I could rant and rave about it but I’m not. I only had the base game and seasons for 5 months but I was desperately wanted something more. I did my research and I bought 11 dlc (winter sale).
    I thought that buying dlc would help but for me there’s too many core problems with the game that won’t be fix by adding dlc. So at this point in time I’m done buying anymore. I also decided to buy a gaming pc just so I can play 3 again.

I think people are going to buy whatever they want. Even though I wish people would stop buying the game it really won’t do much. Ea would probably just can the entire series. Also, they’re players who absolutely enjoy the game through and through with no problems. I also think the youtubers who play sims I’m sure they only buy all of the dlc because it’s content for their channel for most it’s probably their job. So I don’t blame them for hating on the packs but continue to purchase them.
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I don't get why some people buy a pack knowing they won't like it and then complain about it. They know they don't like the main theme, but they buy it anyway and then complain that it's not what they wanted. There's also those who buy a pack knowing the will only use a small amount of the features and then complain that the pack is "lacking" and that "there's not much to do". If you buy a pack knowing you won't like it or use all of it, then that's on you and you have no right to complain about it.

For example:
    There are people complaining that Snowy Escape is "boring" or that "there's nothing to do". Well there's plenty to do. I've even seen complaints from some saying they got the pack for the festivals and the japanese culture but that's "all the pack offers". They don't even mention the main theme of the pack which is the snow sports. If you're not interested in snow sports, which is the main theme of the pack, then you will find it boring. There's really no need to comment about it. Just let those who enjoy it, enjoy it.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    TS1299 wrote: »

Awards does not mean success. I mean The Last of Us 2 has won many awards but the fanbase and the number of copies sold are embarassing. A week after launch alot of copies was already being sold online. Many fans are angry about the story. After a Month they are so desperate that they are putting The Last of Us 2 in the Packaging on their PS4's second line up to be successful which is Ghost of Tsuhima. It gets worst as the was always on sale yet in the end it was given a bunch of 10/10 and awards by the Journalist because of the female empowerment. Even if the plot was awful.

Also Remember SimCity? That game already has tons of awards before launch, yet it was not enough to to recieve a Full development after the offline patch because how low the sales had become.

Lol SimCity was discontinued because the last version of that game they made online and flopped, that particular version of SimCity did NOT get any award. loooool. The awards that you are talking about are awards for the previous versions of SimCity, not the one that flopped. Just like the awards Sims 1, 2 and 3 have. It's for those games, NOT for The Sims 4. Because you know, this game is NOT a success.

• Options
    .So that "if you don't like it, don't buy it" premise is honestly kinda dumb.

You can tell what youd be interested in by watching reviews and doing research. Watch for sales and buy it then if you still want it. If its expensive especially more so. Thats how anyone makes a purchase. I hate the Sims 4 too but ive never been one to complain I spent a bazillion on it because that would be ridiculous. I can tell what I wouldn't want in my game and what will not make a significant positive difference for me playing it by researching it. Also if you buy one pack and its lackluster you know what to expect so you dont go and buy 13 more. I vote with my wallet. I dont support these overpriced underdeveloped packs either lol

Yeah, I can see your point. I agree that before buying a pack (or anything for that matter) it is wiser to get as much information as you could. But my point is this, is it really more logical for someone who has not bought the game/pack to complain about it?
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

So what you are saying is that a band that has sold 11 million records is less successful than a band that sold 1 million records because the latter was nominated for awards?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options

So what you are saying is that a band that has sold 11 million records is less successful than a band that sold 1 million records because the latter was nominated for awards?

I don't know if my interpretation is right but

I did not write the bolded part it supposed to be a quote but it did not work well on mobile site of the forums so I used the bold instead :D
  • Options
    edited February 2021

How very perceptive of you. And yes. Also they were not only nominated, they actually won. Lol. Because people may buy the games, but that doesn't mean that the game that they bought is well received or that it is a good game, is it? That's why when the previous games won those awards it not only meant that they sold, but that people actually loved the game. Or do you just think that just because people buy the game it makes the game good? Or successful? Looooooooooool. Logic.

Also it is easier this game now, compared to before. During The Sims 1 and 2, if I wanted to buy this game online I had to have it shipped to me, which in my case, the shipping was like 3 or 4 times more expensive than the actual game. And I had to wait a few months before physical copies of this game was available in my stores. Oh yeah, did you forget, this game has more content and years to it than the previous games. So ummmm yeah, of course it's going to sell more. You silly EA fan boi/girl... Couldn't tell, you're a beardedgeek, yet your avatar is a girl. looool.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

How very perceptive of you. And yes. Also they were not only nominated, they actually won. Lol. Because people may buy the games, but that doesn't mean that the game that they bought is well received or that it is a good game, is it? That's why when the previous games won those awards it not only meant that they sold, but that people actually loved the game. Or do you just think that just because people buy the game it makes the game good? Or successful? Looooooooooool. Logic.

Also it is easier this game now, compared to before. During The Sims 1 and 2, if I wanted to buy this game online I had to have it shipped to me, which in my case, the shipping was like 3 or 4 times more expensive than the actual game. And I had to wait a few months before physical copies of this game was available in my stores. Oh yeah, did you forget, this game has more content and years to it than the previous games. So ummmm yeah, of course it's going to sell more. You silly EA fan boi/girl... Couldn't tell, you're a beardedgeek, yet your avatar is a girl. looool.

Prizes can be "won" in so many different ways... That's the true reality of our society.
    Sells, on the other side, are ALWAYS the real indicator of success of any business.

You say a lot of non sense... 🤦‍♀️
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

I think you are confusing Acclaim and Success. Critical Dissonance, when the public and the professional critics have widely different opinions is a common thing. And I am not talking about fake review bombings here but the other way around, when critics pan something and it is instead widely popular. Like say the first Star Wars movie (as in "Episode IV") or Michael Bay's Transformers franchise.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek