Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If we do have a Sims 5, should they add a height adjuster in the base game (or in a pack)?

2...Next

Comments

• blockhart93blockhart93 Posts: 56 Member
    Height was at interest for me at a time, but then I started thinking about how much it would complicate sim genetics.. so no, No height sliders for me.
    The only thing about height for me would be gradual aging for kids and teens.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    teamjen wrote: »
    Its not necessary for me and seems like itd be buggy.

I think I literally agree with most of your opinions on this game 😆

Definitely don’t think height sliders are necessary... at all but if we do get them someday cool.

Heres hoping the sims team take our suggestions lol
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited February 2021
    Movotti wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »
    A height slider sounds nice on paper, but I just think it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Every single animation would have to work with different height levels, objects would have to be made around it, etc etc. There'd be so many bugs with it aswell. It'd just be a lot of work all round and it'd probably mean packs have even less content as animations would take twice as long so it's a no for me.

Thats the way I see it too.
    Too few people understand the extra work the variations are likely to add to the production of the game.

For those who don't get it, here's a simplification of what we're talking about.
    With adults (teens and elders) having just one height, the interaction for something as simple as a hug will have, just for the adults:

Adult - Adult
    Adult - Child
    Adult - Toddler

With short, medium and tall height variations just for adults that becomes:

S Adult - S Adult
    S Adult - M Adult
    S Adult - T Adult
    S Adult - Child
    S Adult - Toddler

M Adult - S Adult
    M Adult - M Adult
    M Adult - T Adult
    M Adult - Child
    M Adult - Toddler

T Adult - S Adult
    T Adult - M Adult
    T Adult - T Adult
    T Adult - Child
    T Adult - Toddler

It's pretty clear why TS4 has the teens the same height as the adults and elders.
    Some people might think it's because the developers are lazy, but others can see it's because repeats of the animations for different heights would come at the cost of other content.

True, but that would be mostly for hugs though...

That said, I think I agree that height sliders might not be necessary, but I would prefer if teens were a little bit shorter, I have always felt that teens look so stretched out in the sims 4.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't need height sliders, but I definitely want shorter teens. I also would love it if females were slightly shorter than males. I know as a general rule in RL women are anywhere from very much shorter to just a wee bit shorter than most men. (I'm really short in RL so pretty much everybody from mid-teens on up are typically taller than me).

I also don't buy the excuse of budget, they had shorter teens in TS2 and TS3 both, why would the budget be so much smaller now? That is the one thing that has always driven me nuts about TS4, but they have a small budget, they can't do this or that. WHYYYYYY??? Why is TS4's budget so ridiculously small? Does EA not realize that because of the budget they alloted to the devs for TS2 and TS3 which made those games so full of animations and interactions and gameplay ... that, that is the reason they've been so successful for all these years? Cutting the budget just provides a very disappointing and lacking game which turns into unsatisfied, unhappy and demanding people who are never pleased. If they can continue on this miserly business model they will lose fans to any new game they produce.

And if they can weight paint clothing meshes to morph when being pushed and pulled in every direction, they certainly can weight paint mesh clothing to morph when put on a shorter teen.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    A height slider feature can and should be implemented as long as all the right kind of procedural animation techniques are used. This will need to be planned immediately at the start of development and can only be part of base game. Adding it to a pack somewhere along the line does not make sense. That’s not how it works.

If they didn’t already plan a main feature like this, it won’t be part of the sims 5. If sims 5 has been in development for some time already, the potential for height sliders either exist in their prototypes as we speak, or will never exist for the new Sims title. It’s part of the core of a game. Once the code is properly set up at the dawn of development, adding animations should be no problem. It just takes some additional programming at the start.

I personally “need” height sliders and I’m currently using a mod for that. All of my main male sims are taller than the average sim. When they smooch with their lady friend I just look the other way. It’s private anyway. Let them do their thing. 😇
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,107 Member
    i would definitely like more height variety. i could imagine them maybe having some preset heights (rather than on a slider), so it's easier to figure out animations?

Yeah, I agree with this. They wouldn't have to do many different heights either. It would still be a little more variety than we have now.

I'm not that fussed to be honest, but if it came it would be a nice little addition.
  • claudiavanderpolclaudiavanderpol Posts: 1 New Member
    I really REaLLY hope that there will be a height slider! Some people don't think it's necessary but I think it would add some uniqueness in the game tbh :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top