Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone else gotten an "update" for the sims 3?

GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
I went to play my game this afternoon and this popped up I'm already on update 1.69 so I didn't think there was anymore updates.

FzIlQi7.png
I don't want to accept it because I don't know what its updating...anyone else know?

Edit: I bit the bullet and updated.Just hope I don't regret.XD

Comments

• MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Oh, are we getting an unexpected gift for the 21 anniversary as well?! :o:D

I doubt it will do anything, but since you updated, keep us updated on what happens as well.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited February 2021
    So far it’s reset my settings so now I have to get my card recognized again 😓 hope my game doesn’t get choppy lol
    I’m in game now and don’t see anything different but it did update files for some reason as all my
    Graphics were reset
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    edited February 2021
    @GraceyManor

If your graphics drivers get updated, and probably other updates too, the Options.ini file gets deleted and you end up with the default. The way I handle this now is I keep a backup of my Options.ini file outside my Sims 3 folder.

When the Options.ini file gets replaced in my Sims 3 folder I open it in Notepad and I look for this line in the NEW Options.ini

lastdevice = 0;10de;1c03;8813

I get a copy of the numbers etc that come AFTER the =

and

I open the backed up copy of the Options.ini file and look for that same line and replace the text that comes after the = with the text I copied from the NEW Options.ini file.

Then I save the updated version of the old Options.ini to my Sims 3 folder after deleting the NEW version that has had all of its settings put back to defaults.

Then I launch the game and all is good.
    @Karritz
    My graphics card wasn't updated.It was the game that got updated.
    I fixed by googling a tutorial on how to get it recognized again.
    I still don't understand why origin updated my sims 3 game...
    @Karritz
    My graphics card wasn't updated.It was the game that got updated.
    I fixed by googling a tutorial on how to get it recognized again.
    I still don't understand why origin updated my sims 3 game...

OK so long as you got it working again. I don't have Origin as I didn't put it on this computer when it was new. That means I can't play Sim City or Sims 4 or many other games I only can access from Origin but I'd rather do that than risk having Sims 3 updated to 1.69 and have to launch it through Origin.
    I don’t have a pc that can do disk games so I don’t have the option of avoiding origin.
    I don’t have a pc that can do disk games so I don’t have the option of avoiding origin.

I got my PC built for me and made sure it has a DVD player in it. I think you can get plug in DVD players if you need one.
    edited February 2021
    Exit: if origin tells you you have a sims 3 update be careful doing it, it’s corrupted my user file now I have to one by one my
    Stuff back and find what became incompatible my monitor screen would keep going black as the game was loading
  • wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    I've just logged in to Origin and I don't have a TS3 update.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @GraceyManor

I don't play the digital game anymore but it's still installed on my PC so I logged into origin to fire up 3 to check and there was no update notification for me either. I think the last one I remember was ages ago after the 1.69 patch that updated that new sunset valley style world. (I forget what it's called now I think it's adventure land or something similar sounding)

I would be wary about further updates as well as every update in the last couple years has made my game worse too. I hope your game is okay and you manage to get the settings sorted.
  • CoriandreCoriandre Posts: 90 Member
    I am also getting the prompt to update to a new version. I am holding off doing it at the moment.
    Coriandre wrote: »
    I am also getting the prompt to update to a new version. I am holding off doing it at the moment.
    Don’t do it I have had nothing but trouble
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    What happen if you put the game on Windowed? you can do so by editing options.ini
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Why is it necessary to get the graphics card recognized? Will this boost the speed?
    I am really wondering now why some players are getting this update message and others are not. Also why has there not been a message from EA explaining that there is an update and what it's for as they usually do that prior to updates don't they?

@alanmichael1

After players upgrade their graphic cards to the latest versions the game usually throws that message of card not recognized the first time they boot up the game after the upgrade and some players feel that getting the card recognized helps with in game graphics so do it for that reason. I have often gone this route and found it to help with graphics in game however other players have found it hasn't done much at all so it's a matter of perspective and up to individual players to decide for themselves if they need to or not. I play in very large worlds with lots of builds/mods/cc so I did feel it helped with loading times when moving from on map area to another however my digital game is unplayable now after a few origin/windows 10 upgrades so I only play on disc now where I don't incur the same issues at all.

Why is it necessary to get the graphics card recognized? Will this boost the speed?

It lets you tell the game how good your card is. I suspect it affects the way the game tries to render the images you see on screen.
    I’m not sure what this update is or was but it corrupted my save file and I had to start a new save it also caused my screen to go on and off.EA needs to let us know
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    I am really wondering now why some players are getting this update message and others are not. Also why has there not been a message from EA explaining that there is an update and what it's for as they usually do that prior to updates don't they?

@alanmichael1

After players upgrade their graphic cards to the latest versions the game usually throws that message of card not recognized the first time they boot up the game after the upgrade and some players feel that getting the card recognized helps with in game graphics so do it for that reason. I have often gone this route and found it to help with graphics in game however other players have found it hasn't done much at all so it's a matter of perspective and up to individual players to decide for themselves if they need to or not. I play in very large worlds with lots of builds/mods/cc so I did feel it helped with loading times when moving from on map area to another however my digital game is unplayable now after a few origin/windows 10 upgrades so I only play on disc now where I don't incur the same issues at all.

My current PC has an Intel 9400F processor without integrated graphics unit, so TS3 can't mix up the devices and has to take the discrete card even though it is not "recognized". For me the game runs very smoothly without any procedure.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    https://youtu.be/4F4qzPbcFiA

Don't do it...they're trying to make you go to Sims 4. :D:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    @Nikkei_Simmer i will not join the dark side I won’t I won’t😹
    https://youtu.be/VeiGD380teo
    Here is what the update is making my game do.
    @alanmichael1

I have a pretty decent set up but after a year of doing absolutely everything I could think of with a lot of players trying to help me to no avail I just went to disc and don't have any issues now. The only reason I keep the digital game installed is to download stuff from the community and the exchange as my disc game is on a seperate hard drive that I don't allow to touch the internet. I never really found out what was causing my issue but it had to be some sort of update with origin and/or windows 10 because prior to that it was running fine on windows 10 for a while and when i was running the game on win7 prior to that I never had a problem either.

@Nikkei_Simmer

Very funny and that very same thought has crossed my mind a few times lol :)

@GraceyManor

That does look really weird it makes me wonder what is going on for you..I hope you are able to fix it.

I don’t get why some are getting the update and others aren’t
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited February 2021
    If you installed the game on a system drive, I believe you can rollback if your windows system restore is turned on, since the disc version of Sims 3 is installed on a registry level (and I hope the origin's version isnt different), try rolling back to the date prior you updated the sims 3 from origin, the downside is that any changes and software you installed after the date will be gone but userdata will be perfectly safe(Desktop,Document, Download)

But if your game is installed on different partition than windows, system restore may not help.

or just you know, reinstalling the game from scratch.
    ihavemultiplegamertags